So.....6 months in, and the PS4 still doesnt have...........

• 129 results
#1 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

the promised "suspend-resume" feature, that was promised at the PS4's reveal.

How long do you think it will take for them to impliment this? Do you think it will actually come out, or was it just more Sony lies? Is it in the pipeline?

#2 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

you know sony motto by now....

#3 Edited by B4X (5242 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift: Sorry. I'll have to get back to you on that.

#4 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1367 posts) -

I forget what that even was, care to remind me?

#5 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16589 posts) -

Yeah, I don't understand why they are so quiet about that feature.

#6 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

I forget what that even was, care to remind me?

You could put the PS4 in standby mode, and then resume the game from where you left off.

#7 Edited by B4X (5242 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools: I think it's the ability to leave a game without really even exiting through the game menu. Coming back to where you left off, as if you had just paused it.

I know the X1 already does this.

#8 Posted by ominous_titan (731 posts) -

They're trying to sell a building first to pay the coders to write the software

#9 Edited by HitmanActual (389 posts) -

Sony are saving it all for E3.

They will beatdown MS and Nintendwho like Chris Brown did Rihanna.

#10 Edited by lostrib (37732 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

you know sony motto by now....

The Waiting Game

Only on PS4

#11 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Xflop

#12 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Greatness. Greatness never changes.

Killzone MP 1080p lie

Turn of stupid ass controller light lie

Watchdogs 1080p/60fps lie and retraction

Driveclub DRM lie and retraction

Greatness indeed.

#13 Edited by Spitfire-Six (522 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

Xflop

this reminds me of someone who doesn't have a response so they just yell something random.

#14 Edited by tonitorsi (8481 posts) -

PS4 is still number 1 selling console tho

#15 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@tonitorsi said:

Sales dont matter tho. (at least that was the song last gen)

#16 Edited by HitmanActual (389 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Killzone MP 1080p lie

Greatness indeed.

You are so right. I guess you are lucky that MS never retracts anything or does a 180 and completely withdraws from it's vision...oh wait!

#17 Posted by santoron (7775 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@tonitorsi said: PS4 is still number 1 selling console tho

Certainly wasn't your tune...

#18 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Amazed this thread wasn't about AAAEs

#19 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

I don't think you'll ever see it on the PS4. The reason GDDR5 Ram isn't good for this type of operation you need low latency DDR3 ram for this.

#20 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@hitmanactual said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Killzone MP 1080p lie

Greatness indeed.

You are so right. I guess you are lucky that MS never retracts anything or does a 180 and completely withdraws from it's vision...oh wait!

Sony was allowed to do a complete 180 on their vision with the PS3. They spent the entire generation turning it into the 360, and even completely rebranded their console.

It just didnt take 4 years (counting from the reveal of PS3) for Microsoft to fix their shit console.

#21 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6013 posts) -

Can someone give a video example of this feature? I have an X1 and PS4, and have no clue what this feature is.

#22 Posted by drummerdave9099 (749 posts) -

I like all the legitimate points brought up, right now it seems to be about which console sucks the least

#23 Edited by Spitfire-Six (522 posts) -

@GTSaiyanjin2: turn on a game press the home button, goto tv go back to game it will be where you left it.

#24 Edited by tymeservesfate (1970 posts) -

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

Can someone give a video example of this feature? I have an X1 and PS4, and have no clue what this feature is.

demo of the feature at 2:55-3:51

#25 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

So, six months in and the Xbone still doesn't have games.

How long do you think it will take for them to release some? Do you think it will actually come out, or was it just more MS lies? Are they in the pipeline?

#26 Edited by SolidTy (43831 posts) -
@tymeservesfate said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

I just watched that video and that video isn't the same thing (although it seems to have the same name, 'suspend and resume'), you can do what was demonstrated on that video easily on PS4 going between apps. You just hit the PS button or tell the PS to go home (voice w/mic or cam), go in-between the various apps on the PS4 by hitting the PS button, and then go back to the game at any time. Both machines can do that easily. It seems that feature is named suspend/resume on Xbone and isn't named on PS4, although the PS4 does that same thing.

The "suspend/resume mode" is different on PS4. The equivalent would be turning your Xbone off into standby mode and then days later resuming. They don't do a suspend/resume as it's defined for PS4 in the video you posted at all, they do go in-between apps in that video though. I have both machines so I know the difference. You can do suspend/resume on Vita and 3DS as I learned years back.

Here's what this thread is about (suspend/resume standby mode):

"PlayStation 4′s “suspend/resume mode” is when gamers can put the console into a low-power state that behaves as if the system is off, but it actually saves the game right where you left it."

---

You turn the PS4 machine to standby (it's like it's off, but it turns orange) and then days later you would just play the game. Standby mode is active now and will DL your updates for you (games, system updates, trophies), but this particular turn off the machine and play it later feature for PS4 isn't active as of yet.

To be honest, I've never tried to use the actual turn off and play the game days later feature for either Xbone or PS4, but that's because I get to save points as I was conditioned to do over so many generations, plus the feature just makes me nervous. I would hate to turn off a machine (to standby) go to dinner, come back to play and find my game not there. I'm too careful, even on my PC gaming sessions.

#27 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@GTSaiyanjin2: turn on a game press the home button, goto tv go back to game it will be where you left it.

@tymeservesfate said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

Nope. PS4 suspend/resume is pausing the game, going to the XMB, putting the PS4 in standby then coming back, turning the PS4 back on and playing from where you left off straight away. The Vita can do the same thing. Xbone does it differently for TV SPORTS TV SPORTS

#28 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6013 posts) -

On the PS4 you can suspend the game you are playing while you have an app opened, like netflix, and Hulu. You can resume you're game, or the app you have opened, and switch between the two. But it seems limited. You cant resume more than one app. For example if you had netflix opened, and open Hulu, it will close the netflix app. But you can still resume your game, no mater how many apps you open. You can also use the browser, as its not counted as an app. I'm guessing this is better on the xbox one. I've only ever really used the TV, and game on the x1... its mostly games now, as I've disconnected my box from it, so the multitasking features are not really used much by me.

#29 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

So, six months in and the Xbone still doesn't have games.

How long do you think it will take for them to release some? Do you think it will actually come out, or was it just more MS lies? Are they in the pipeline?

PS4 doesnt have games either. Inflopmas came and went, and the only PS4 game I've come back to is COD: Ghosts.

Literally every game worth waiting for on both consoles has been delayed to 2015.

• The Order: Letterbox
  • "NOT-The Last of Us" 4
  • Motorstorm: Driveclub edition (wait, that comes out this year. I guess the people who've been jonesing for a spiritual successor to Motorstorm (read: no-one ever), then the PS4's library will be that much less shitty than the bone. Congratulations.

#30 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1367 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift: Oh...thats rather pointless...thats what the pause button is for lol.

#31 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

Call me jewish but if I an not using my electronics I TURN THEM OFF!!

I am a power NAZI cause leaving things plugged in uses power and I run around turning things off.

#32 Edited by SolidTy (43831 posts) -

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

On the PS4 you can suspend the game you are playing while you have an app opened, like netflix, and Hulu. You can resume you're game, or the app you have opened, and switch between the two. But it seems limited. You cant resume more than one app. For example if you had netflix opened, and open Hulu, it will close the netflix app. But you can still resume your game, no mater how many apps you open. You can also use the browser, as its not counted as an app. I'm guessing this is better on the xbox one. I've only ever really used the TV, and game on the x1... its mostly games now, as I've disconnected my box from it, so the multitasking features are not really used much by me.

That's isn't the same thing (strangely referred to as Suspend and Resume on Xbone), but I can tell you that on the Xbone it's inconsistent. I've went from Killer Instinct, looked at friends, watched FOX app, and came back the game was glitched and wouldn't unpause. I thought my Xbone had issues, but the feature you are describing is inconsistent. Sometimes you switch apps and go back to a game and it's fine, other times the game terminates. I had similar success and failures with Titanfall on Xbone. On that front, both PS4/Xbone can do this feature....except with toggling multiple games (many apps, but one game to resume). You start a game on either machine and you won't be able to resume a different game.

I remember going to Xbox.com forums wondering if I had a problematic Xbone and saw many, legions of fellow xbone owners noticed the mode was inconsistent. Here's a recent thread talking about the problems with that feature on Xbone (one of many on the site):

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1714609.aspx?pi7406=1

I wouldn't recommend doing the mode, so I just save my games before moving from app to app on both Xbone and PS4. Something I learned last gen anyways.

Now, on PS4 the Suspend and Resume mode while having the same name, it is a bit different (involves turning the machine off/powered down-like state):

"PlayStation 4′s “suspend/resume mode” is when gamers can put the console into a low-power state that behaves as if the system is off, but it actually saves the game right where you left it."

When it is available though, just like Vita or 3DS, I won't be using it too much. I'm too paranoid of losing progress.

#33 Edited by santoron (7775 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

To be honest, I've never tried to use the actual turn off and play the game days later feature for either Xbone or PS4, but that's because I get to save points as I was conditioned to do over so many generations, plus the feature just makes me nervous. I would hate to turn off a machine (to standby) go to dinner, come back to play and find my game not there. I'm too careful, even on my PC gaming sessions.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I'd use the feature in any case, but I wouldn't bother using it if it doesn't work every time - like on the XBone - and I certainly wouldn't be bragging about a half baked feature online, as I guess some are trying in here.

You know things have been rough when fanboys try bragging about having a feature that fails at random with no rhyme or reason, taking your progress with it...

#34 Edited by SolidTy (43831 posts) -
@santoron said:

@SolidTy said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I'd use the feature in any case, but I wouldn't bother using it if it doesn't work every time - like on the XBone - and I certainly wouldn't be bragging about a half baked feature online, as I guess some are trying in here.

You know things have been rough when fanboys try bragging about having a feature that fails at random with no rhyme or reason, taking your progress with it...

Yes, that mode is well documented at truly inconsistent, which can be frustrating for a gamer. You get burned once by the "feature", you don't continue using the mode which happened to me and countless others.

As far as things being rough when fanboys brag about a failing feature...It's strange, isn't it? lol. I guess some don't have an Xbone, so they are arguing a paper vs. paper argument. "On paper, this is better over here!" "But on paper, this is better over there!"

Even more peculiar, the suspend/resume means two different things depending on what console you are talking about. On Xbone it's toggling between apps, which the PS4 can also do, but apparently that feature isn't named.

On PS4, while having the same name (suspend/resume), it's about turning the PS4 machine off/powered down-like state:

As far as I can tell neither the Xbone nor PS4 can do this particular feat as of yet, but it's planned for PS4 at least going off what was unveiled. Currently the Vita for instance does this, so it's not a big stretch imagining the PS4 doing the mode in the future, but it is odd it isn't apparently capable now. Perhaps they are saving it for E3 salvo/news.

#35 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@tonitorsi said:

That was because cows were in last. Sales do matter though. Wii won last gen and Wii U will be destroyed this one. MS will take 2nd once again. Or third depending on when you think last gen ends.

#36 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@santoron said:

@SolidTy said:

I was not even aware that the Bone had that feature available right now. I was just having a go at Cows. This is the first I'm hearing about it. So the writing off/downplaying of this useful feature (that I legitimately want on my PS4) is unnecessary. The point is that it was promised, and not delivered.

For the record, I own a PS4 and NOT an Xbox One. What Microsoft/the Bone is or is not doing means nothing to me.

#37 Posted by remiks00 (1912 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

That's isn't the same thing (strangely referred to as Suspend and Resume on Xbone), but I can tell you that on the Xbone it's inconsistent. I've went from Killer Instinct, looked at friends, watched FOX app, and came back the game was glitched and wouldn't unpause. I thought my Xbone had issues, but the feature you are describing is inconsistent. Sometimes you switch apps and go back to a game and it's fine, other times the game terminates. I had similar success and failures with Titanfall on Xbone. On that front, both PS4/Xbone can do this feature....except with games. You start a game on either machine and you won't be able to resume a different game.

I remember going to Xbox.com forums wondering if I had a problematic Xbone and saw many, legions of fellow xbone owners noticed the mode was inconsistent. Here's a recent thread talking about the problems with that feature on Xbone (one of many on the site):

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1714609.aspx?pi7406=1

I wouldn't recommend doing the mode, so I just save my games before moving from app to app on both Xbone and PS4. Something I learned last gen anyways.

Now, on PS4 the Suspend and Resume mode while having the same name, it is a bit different (involves turning the machine off/powered down-like state):

When it is available though, just like Vita or 3DS, I won't be using it too much. I'm too paranoid of losing progress.

Spot on. Suspend/Resume is just like the Vita & 3ds version. Where the system is on standby/low-power state & you can turn the system back on and continue where you left off.

With that said, I am completely uncertain why this feature is still not implemented on PS4 yet. Weird.

#38 Edited by AM-Gamer (4040 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: How as an Xbox fan would you even think about opening your mouth about 1080p? To this day the PS4 has 2 games not in 1080p and those that are not run In 900p. The Xbox one has over half it's library still stuck in 720p.

#39 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

This what lemming have been reduce to. Tough being lemming after 2008, seem they all run to xbox forum and we left with bottom trash.

#40 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@santoron said:

@SolidTy said:

I was not even aware that the Bone had that feature available right now. I was just having a go at Cows. This is the first I'm hearing about it. So the writing off/downplaying of this useful feature (that I legitimately want on my PS4) is unnecessary. The point is that it was promised, and not delivered.

For the record, I own a PS4 and NOT an Xbox One. What Microsoft/the Bone is or is not doing means nothing to me.

Why the hell would you own a PS4 or a Xbone right now? Neither have compelling games.

#41 Edited by ButDuuude (476 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

the promised "suspend-resume" feature, that was promised at the PS4's reveal.

How long do you think it will take for them to impliment this? Do you think it will actually come out, or was it just more Sony lies? Is it in the pipeline?

The PS4 has had that since launch.

#42 Posted by sibu_xgamer (339 posts) -

At least it doesn't have less things than when it launched like the xbone.

#43 Edited by sibu_xgamer (339 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

This what lemming have been reduce to. Tough being lemming after 2008, seem they all run to xbox forum and we left with bottom trash.

It seems they are in a perpetual state of angry these days. I guess too many years of abuse does that.

#44 Posted by AM-Gamer (4040 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: How as an Xbox fan would you even think about opening your mouth about 1080p? To this day the PS4 has 2 games not in 1080p and those that are not run In 900p. The Xbox one has over half it's library still stuck in 720p.

#45 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

lmao massive topic backfire. Lems, it pays to know what you're talking about in future before making a topic about it.

#46 Edited by SolidTy (43831 posts) -
b4x said:

@Master_Of_Fools: I think it's the ability to leave a game without really even exiting through the game menu. Coming back to where you left off, as if you had just paused it.

I know the X1 already does this.

Yes, the Xbone and PS4 can do what you described, correct.

I explained it all in great detail above if you are curious about both consoles and what they call 'suspend/resume'.

#47 Edited by santoron (7775 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

As far as I can tell neither the Xbone nor PS4 can do this particular feat as of yet, but it's planned for PS4 at least going off what was unveiled. Currently the Vita for instance does this, so it's not a big stretch imagining the PS4 doing the mode in the future, but it is odd it isn't apparently capable now. Perhaps they are saving it for E3 salvo/news.

Yeah, who knows? If I were to venture a guess, the order of their updates got shuffled somewhat when they got called out on missing media compatibility. Just a guess. I know personally this isn't very high on the wish list, and certainly not unless it's working ~100%.

#48 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@remiks00 said:

@SolidTy said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

That's isn't the same thing (strangely referred to as Suspend and Resume on Xbone), but I can tell you that on the Xbone it's inconsistent. I've went from Killer Instinct, looked at friends, watched FOX app, and came back the game was glitched and wouldn't unpause. I thought my Xbone had issues, but the feature you are describing is inconsistent. Sometimes you switch apps and go back to a game and it's fine, other times the game terminates. I had similar success and failures with Titanfall on Xbone. On that front, both PS4/Xbone can do this feature....except with games. You start a game on either machine and you won't be able to resume a different game.

Spot on. Suspend/Resume is just like the Vita & 3ds version. Where the system is on standby/low-power state & you can turn the system back on and continue where you left off.

With that said, I am completely uncertain why this feature is still not implemented on PS4 yet. Weird.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

And it is strange that its not here yet, considering this was literally one of the first things Sony talked about during the reveal of the system.

@sibu_xgamer said:

At least it doesn't have less things than when it launched like the PS3.

Fixed.

@GrenadeLauncher said:

lmao massive topic backfire. Lems, it pays to know what you're talking about in future before making a topic about it.

Stop trying to make thread backfire happen. It isnt going to happen.

Go clean up some other thread shill. They need you in The Order Downgrade thread right now.

#49 Posted by SolidTy (43831 posts) -
@remiks00 said:

@SolidTy said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

That's isn't the same thing (strangely referred to as Suspend and Resume on Xbone), but I can tell you that on the Xbone it's inconsistent. I've went from Killer Instinct, looked at friends, watched FOX app, and came back the game was glitched and wouldn't unpause. I thought my Xbone had issues, but the feature you are describing is inconsistent. Sometimes you switch apps and go back to a game and it's fine, other times the game terminates. I had similar success and failures with Titanfall on Xbone. On that front, both PS4/Xbone can do this feature....except with toggling multiple games (many apps, but one game to resume). You start a game on either machine and you won't be able to resume a different game.

It's all sort of peculiar...both the confusion caused by the name of the mode (suspend/resume), what they mean on each console, and how it's not implemented on PS4 yet (as the Vita can do it with ease). I speculated above in another post that perhaps besides polishing the ability to turn off the PS4 machine to standby and turn the game on later, they are saving an announcement of suspend/resume for E3 only a few short weeks away.

In any event, while it can suck if someone was really wanting to do it, this is the price the early adopters pay as 'beta testers' lol.

#50 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

I doubt he's much smarter then your average gorilla, I mean he bought an XBone.