Sneak move Sony pulled on MS wasn't about GPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Xplode_games (516 posts) -

MS knew Sony had a stronger GPU but they didn't care because they figured they would rule with multimedia features due to their 8 GB of RAM. Also it would have a huge advantage in a lot of games due to the much greater RAM space.

They figured the PS4 would have big bottlenecks with only 4GB of GDDR5 RAM and it was a mistake for Sony to use such expensive RAM. X1 would have 8GB of RAM and 5 GB for gaming and 3GB for OS and multimedia device. Sony they thought would be 3GB for gaming and 1 GB OS and multimedia. It would have a gimped multimedia interface that could never catch up to X1 all because they concentrated on gaming and even then it's still hampered with 3GB of RAM vs 5GB for X1.

Then Sony announced 8 GB GDDR5 RAM and holy f*ck what a sneak move, MS is still reeling from that. They really never had an answer for it and now they just have a more expensive system that they have to just try to buy their way into the market with investing in exclusives. They thought this gen would be easy.

It worked out well because I like competition and if Sony didn't do well with PS4, it would be their last console. Anyway, 8GB GDDR5 RAM is what layed the smack down on MS, not the GPU in of itself.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (43168 posts) -

E3 was quite spectacular when Sony knocked MS the fuck out and it had nothing to do with hardware.

#3 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

its going to be their last console either way...

#4 Posted by lostrib (32959 posts) -

Not even PCs have 8GB GDDR5!

#5 Edited by Xplode_games (516 posts) -

No, actually they're doing very well. Better than they could have anticipated actually.

#6 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

No, actually they're doing very well. Better than they could have anticipated actually.

just because they are doing well doesn't mean they have other console.

With the PlayStation Now and if it strikes a hit prepare for a $50-100 playstion tv box, prepare for apps on t.vs, computers, blueray drives, ect

#7 Edited by Heil68 (43168 posts) -

You didn't hear? The PS5 is a go, locked and loaded. It's gonna be pedal to the mother fucking metal brah. IT's going to be like Skydiving from the International Space Station, all the while feeling the GIGAWATT of SONY awesomeness flowing through your veins, all while offering a barn bursting amount of world class, high scoring exclusives.

Day fucking 1

AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

Do you FELL me Brah.

#8 Posted by Couth_ (9973 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@k2theswiss said:

You didn't hear? The PS5 is a go, locked and loaded. It's gonna be pedal to the mother fucking metal brah. IT's going to be like Skydiving from the International Space Station, all the while feeling the GIGAWATT of SONY awesomeness flowing through your veins, all while offering a barn bursting amount of world class, high scoring exclusives.

Day fucking 1

AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

Do you FELL me Brah.

I feeelll it in my plums

#9 Edited by coasterguy65 (5826 posts) -

@Heil68: Not really Sony's doing. MS ran smack dab into their own wall. Trenton just blew on them and they fell over like in a comedy.

#10 Edited by blamix99 (1606 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Heil68 said:

@k2theswiss said:

Day fucking 1

AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

Do you FELL me Brah.

I feeelll it in my plums

yeahh there will be a PS5 in 7-10 years time, seems like there will be a new Xbox next year or 2-3 years time since the Xbox One has a lot of problems with developing games

#11 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13863 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Although the ram isn't shared, we both get dedicated SDRAM DDR3 and VRAM GDDR5.

#12 Posted by kingtito (4787 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

@Couth_ said:

@Heil68 said:

@k2theswiss said:

Day fucking 1

AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

Do you FELL me Brah.

I feeelll it in my plums

yeahh there will be a PS5 in 7-10 years time, seems like there will be a new Xbox next year or 2-3 years time since the Xbox One has a lot of problems with developing games

Congrats, you just posted the idiot post of the day. That's a real accomplishment with all the idiot cows posting.

#13 Posted by Ghost120x (3680 posts) -

MS works with the NSA so I'm pretty sure MS knew about the specs. What they didn't expect, was Sony dropping their DRM and the PS eye off the ps4 at the last minute.

#14 Edited by xxgunslingerxx (4055 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

E3 was quite spectacular when Sony knocked MS the fuck out and it had nothing to do with hardware.

MS knocked themselves out... sony just kicked the corpse a bit

#15 Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (762 posts) -

@lostrib said:

The butthurt is strong in this one

How insecure hermits are - consoles show any sign of one upping them and they freak out

#16 Posted by _Matt_ (8834 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Teh 8GB GDDR5!!!

Although I do guess that statement holds true for 99% of pcs, not many GPUs have 8GB GDDR5....

I'll just have to stick with my 32GB DDR3 and 3GB GDDR5 memory...

#18 Posted by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

Sony could've made the PS4's SoC as weak as the X1 and they'd still win the masses if the price it marginally cheaper assuming the bone keeps that mandatory kinect and total msrp of 500.

#19 Posted by MiiiiV (287 posts) -

@lostrib said:

No they don't, the most I've seen is 6gb on certain GPUs. GDDR5 with it's higher bandwidth and higher latency is great GPUs but not so much for CPUs. Just as DDR3 with it's lower latency and lower bandwidth (as long as the bandwidth is enough) is more suited for CPU's. Maybe 6 jaguar cores (6 cores available for games) aren't bothered by the higher latency of the GDDR5 as they are not very fast or perhaps Sony has done something to compensate for that, like Microsoft has tried to compensate for the lower bandwidth of their system memory with 32mb esram.

#20 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6027 posts) -

This sounds like one of my threads! Wouldn't it suck though if Sony overlooked some details and really didn't have all the cards in the deck? We shall see one day.

#21 Posted by leandrro (787 posts) -

MS knew Sony had a stronger GPU but they didn't care because they figured they would rule with multimedia features due to their 8 GB of RAM. Also it would have a huge advantage in a lot of games due to the much greater RAM space.

They figured the PS4 would have big bottlenecks with only 4GB of GDDR5 RAM and it was a mistake for Sony to use such expensive RAM. X1 would have 8GB of RAM and 5 GB for gaming and 3GB for OS and multimedia device. Sony they thought would be 3GB for gaming and 1 GB OS and multimedia. It would have a gimped multimedia interface that could never catch up to X1 all because they concentrated on gaming and even then it's still hampered with 3GB of RAM vs 5GB for X1.

Then Sony announced 8 GB GDDR5 RAM and holy f*ck what a sneak move, MS is still reeling from that. They really never had an answer for it and now they just have a more expensive system that they have to just try to buy their way into the market with investing in exclusives. They thought this gen would be easy.

It worked out well because I like competition and if Sony didn't do well with PS4, it would be their last console. Anyway, 8GB GDDR5 RAM is what layed the smack down on MS, not the GPU in of itself.

8gb gddr5 is useless and is there only for marketing purposes

ps4 cant handle more than 1,5gb of fast gddr5

the rest of the ram could be (and in fact operates as fast as) the slow ddr3 1333mhz

sony released lower end dev kits with power similar to X1 just like m$ did

only in jan 2013 developers started receiving new dev kits with 80% improved performance from sony and it was already too late for M$ to rebuild their machine

#22 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Sony had MS bent over and buttfucked since Feb 20...E3 was just a continuation of the domination

#23 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2677 posts) -

Yeah Sony seems to have the advantage but MS screwed up. The no used games and all the restrictions with more talk about tv features. They were more pumped about their spy cam than actual gaming performance. Sony dropped the cam and picked up 8gb of memory a good call.

The real win is the price to performance on the ps4. Now I hear MS coming out with a new version of the x1 for less money. I can only assume the ps4 numbers must be good for them to make such a drastic move so early.

#24 Edited by Gue1 (9354 posts) -

The PS4 actually has 10 GB's of Ram.

8GB's of GDDR5 and 2GB's of GDDR3 for the second processor (the one that runs the console when not playing games).

#25 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@Gue1: that's Gb which equates to 256mb DDR3

#26 Posted by g0ddyX (3885 posts) -

Can't say no to better hardware.

#27 Edited by lostrib (32959 posts) -

@lostrib said:

The butthurt is strong in this one

How insecure hermits are - consoles show any sign of one upping them and they freak out

Y'all are too serious

#28 Posted by stereointegrity (10697 posts) -

@leandrro said:

@Xplode_games said:

8gb gddr5 is useless and is there only for marketing purposes

ps4 cant handle more than 1,5gb of fast gddr5

the rest of the ram could be (and in fact operates as fast as) the slow ddr3 1333mhz

sony released lower end dev kits with power similar to X1 just like m$ did

only in jan 2013 developers started receiving new dev kits with 80% improved performance from sony and it was already too late for M$ to rebuild their machine

Where did you come up with this shit

#29 Posted by Martin_G_N (1688 posts) -

Yeah, it was a smart move. They're aim was unified memory, and they wanted the fastest memory, so GDDR5 was the only option. Sony listened to developers and doubled the RAM.

I really don't know why MS went for that memory architecture after the success of the X360. Because they chose the slow DDR3, they had to use up board space for the ESRAM and the Data Move Engines to help it out, which ment that the GPU had to be smaller. It's not like it's a bad architecture, but I don't think it has enough speed to bring the performance back, and utilize a bigger GPU if it had that.