Smash Bros Reveal, and it's not Shulk!!! (Spoilers) 56K y?

• 61 results
#1 Edited by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -

FALCON PAUNCH!!! Oh, Lucina also joins the fray. Who am I kidding?

In before Lucina shippers comes in.

Edit: Chrom in a final smash, lulz.

Edit 2: HD video for 720p goodness.

#2 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11524 posts) -

Wait...Chrom is an assist trophy?!

Lame.

#3 Posted by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -

There are already two threads...

#4 Edited by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -

@princeofshapeir: One was an older thread that got bumped. Charizard's was troll bait.

#5 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17233 posts) -

I think Nintendo really kills momentum when they reveal all this stuff way too early. With the game so far away...honestly why get excited?

#6 Edited by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -

Well whatever, I'm also going to clarify that Chrom is NOT an assist trophy. He's clearly part of Robin's final smash, which is shown in Captain Falcon's reveal trailer.

Sakurai would rather have a straight-up Marth clone than Chrom playable in SSB4

#7 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5218 posts) -

Chrom is Robin's Final Smash.

#8 Posted by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -

I think Nintendo really kills momentum when they reveal all this stuff way too early. With the game so far away...honestly why get excited?

You're literally the only person who thinks this

#9 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11524 posts) -

Yeah, seriously Lucina looks like a Marth Clone.

#10 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34128 posts) -

Well whatever, I'm also going to clarify that Chrom is NOT an assist trophy. He's clearly part of Robin's final smash, which is shown in Captain Falcon's reveal trailer.

Sakurai would rather have a straight-up Marth clone than Chrom playable in SSB4

If Chrom did become playable, couldn't he have just been a marth clone too? It's not like Chrom and Lucina are even the different in Awakening.

#11 Edited by commonfate (12180 posts) -

lol

FAHGET ABOUT IT

#12 Posted by Technoweirdo (7073 posts) -

If anything, they're maintaining momentum after E3 2014 by making sure the hype doesn't die off before the 3DS version's launch three months from now.

#13 Edited by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -

If Chrom did become playable, couldn't he have just been a marth clone too? It's not like Chrom and Lucina are even the different in Awakening.

Yeah, he would have, which is why I didn't want him in.

#14 Posted by Meinhard1 (6766 posts) -

Hmm... I would have preferred something more weird / interesting. I'd like to see a few oddball chararacters like Wart or E. Gadd.

But as a fan of Fire Emblem it's pretty great they included a mage character (tactician, technically). Moves like El Wind, El Fire, and Nosferatu have been in the series forever so this is definitely a good use of IP.

Lucina is way better a choice than Chrom. You'll undoubtedly be able to play as the masked version of her.

One concern - It seems a lot of the new characters have gimmicks. I get they're trying to make it so each character brings something new to the table but it seems many users gravitate towards more straightforward brawlers like Fox, Link, Marth, etc.

#15 Posted by darkspineslayer (19487 posts) -

I was hoping Lucina would be more differentiated from Marth. More acrobatic and fast paced ya know? Either way, I was hoping she would show up, and Robin was a nice surprise too. Nice change of pace from the swordsmen.

#16 Posted by commonfate (12180 posts) -

One difference between Lucina and Marth noted by the Reddit community is that either A) they played an unpolished version of SSB4 where Marth had too much landing lag on aerials or B) Lucina's landing lag is simply a different value (most likely A as Ike didn't have all those particle effects in other trailers).

http://gfycat.com/FineSentimentalGecko#

#17 Posted by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -

One difference between Lucina and Marth noted by the Reddit community is that either A) they played an unpolished version of SSB4 where Marth had too much landing lag on aerials or B) Lucina's landing lag is simply a different value (most likely A as Ike didn't have all those particle effects in other trailers).

http://gfycat.com/FineSentimentalGecko#

Seems more likely that's just an auto canceled nair. I think Lucina is really just a model swap for Marth and they're announcing her as a separate character for hype.

#18 Edited by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -
It's so beautiful...

#19 Edited by bbkkristian (14919 posts) -

Super Smash waifus,

Said peeps on my twitter.

#20 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8707 posts) -

So is Lucina a new character or a reskin of Marth? On the website only Robin is listed as a newcomer. Lucina is listed with all the returning smashers.

Edit: NVM it says newcomer when you click on Lucina

#21 Edited by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

It would be awesome if it could read your fire emblem save data and copy your character's name and appearance.

#22 Posted by Ghost120x (3694 posts) -

Glad to see the captain is back." I was worried for a moment"

FE characters look boss.

#23 Posted by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -

@Sword-Demon: That was one of my main arguments why Robin should appear in Smash last year.

#24 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26259 posts) -

I really like that the reveals have been these action cutscenes. I didint know the default name was robin for that MC of FEA.

#25 Posted by bbkkristian (14919 posts) -

So who are we all maining in this new smash?

#26 Posted by Blabadon (25700 posts) -

Fuck yeah, give me my main Smasher.

CF and I, kicking ass since the 90s.

#27 Posted by Gue1 (9439 posts) -

why are they now turning smash into an anime fighter anyway? And why the girl always has to be saved?

#28 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26259 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

why are they now turning smash into an anime fighter anyway? And why the girl always has to be saved?

girls always have to be saved? Boy or girl they would have needed help and last video didint pitt get saved by that magical lady god.

#29 Posted by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

girls always have to be saved? Boy or girl they would have needed help and last video didint pitt get saved by that magical lady god.

It's Pit, though.

#30 Posted by bbkkristian (14919 posts) -

@Gue1: you do realize it's from Japan, right? Anime is their culture. If you don't like it, you can go play PSASBR.

#31 Posted by ActicEdge (24332 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Yeah Palutena saved Pitt. Also, it's the captain man, no one stands a chance. I think its hilarious how Lucina has to protect Chrom who in turn must get saved. Damn Captain Falcon is a beast.

#32 Edited by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Gue1 said:

Yeah Palutena saved Pitt. Also, it's the captain man, no one stands a chance. I think its hilarious how Lucina has to protect Chrom who in turn must get saved. Damn Captain Falcon is a beast.

Captain Falcon singlehandedly kicked Chrom out of Smash 4's playable roster.

#33 Posted by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -

@ActicEdge: How is that even fair? Captain Falcon is tooo quick. Come to think of it, is Lucina actually slower than Marth?

#34 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

So Ness and Jigglypuff are all that's left of the original eight, right?

#35 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11027 posts) -

Good to see Captain finally confirmed.

#36 Posted by commonfate (12180 posts) -

@bbkkristian: It's hard to say for certain but Lucario, Ike and Luigi seem likely. Gonna have to test the new characters of course

Still waiting on my Ness announcement.

#37 Posted by bbkkristian (14919 posts) -

@commonfate: for me, of course, I'm maining Link. But I need a replacement for Pokemon Trainer. It's not going to be Charizard, because Charizard sucks by himself.

I know I want to try out Pit, Palutena, and Robin. And my third main which is Marth, is definitely getting replaced with Lucina.

#38 Posted by mems_1224 (46278 posts) -

Lucina>Chrom

#39 Posted by yokofox33 (29256 posts) -

Yay Lucina. I might main her now...

#40 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

It's not going to be Charizard, because Charizard sucks by himself.

This was uncalled for.

#41 Posted by bbkkristian (14919 posts) -

@charizard1605: you're nothing without Ivysaur and Squirtle, Chaz, NOTHING.

#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24636 posts) -

I actually wouldn't have been surprised if Lucina was just a Female version of Marth like what they have for Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and now Robin.

That's if Lucina's Smash Attack is the same as Marth's.

#43 Posted by bbkkristian (14919 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: Sakurai must have really wanted Lucina because Lucina wih her mask could have easily been a costume for Marth.

#44 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16025 posts) -

I think it's weird that they decided to make the avatar from Awakening a playable character. I know that's not how my character looked when I played through the game...

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

@charizard1605: you're nothing without Ivysaur and Squirtle, Chaz, NOTHING.

Pfft, Squirtle is a tiny little thing, and I could burn Ivysaur to wisps without trying.

#46 Posted by Zassimick (6254 posts) -

I'll appreciate Lucina if she's more than just a lighter, sped-up version of Marth. If she is faster with some strong hits I may switch to her.

As for who I'll be maining, Marth is the top one for me though I'm really going to play around. Lucina and Robin I'll certainly try, though I'm nervous about Robin's 'gimmick.' Greninja, Rosalina, and Palutena all are characters I'm eager to play as as well. Out of the old roster, I'm going to get back into using Link, Fox, Jigglypuff, and I want to see if I can get used to Yoshi. None of my friends use him so it'd be nice to pick him up for diversity.

#47 Posted by inb4uall (5284 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

You're literally the only person who thinks this

This ^

#48 Posted by Basinboy (10993 posts) -

Kinda disappointed TBH. A bit heavy on the FE characters. Wario, Paper Mario, or other Pokemon would have been preferred. Or Zero (from MM)? Or Leon Kennedy? Or Wolf?

Would enjoy Bayonetta, but not a chance Nintendo puts as sexually a suggestive character as her alongside Mario, Kirby, and co.

#49 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9517 posts) -

So Ness and Jigglypuff are all that's left of the original eight, right?

Yeah, and there's not a single doubt in my mind that they'll make the cut. In fact, the only characters I'd be worried about being cut are ones that were introduced in Brawl.

#50 Edited by princeofshapeir (13633 posts) -
@Basinboy said:

Kinda disappointed TBH. A bit heavy on the FE characters. Wario, Paper Mario, or other Pokemon would have been preferred. Or Zero (from MM)? Or Leon Kennedy? Or Wolf?

You gotta understand: Fire Emblem: Awakening is apparently considered the best Fire Emblem game in years (possibly of all time), one of the 3DS's best games, and single-handedly raised the popularity of the Fire Emblem series in the west. Plus, Sakurai is a huge Fire Emblem fan.

Wario will be announced later. Paper Mario seems like a gimmick; I think Toon Link is pushing it as is. Zero? He's already in Mahvel. Leon would be a terrible choice for Smash. Wolf is a veteran I expect to be a secret unlockable, since he's very unique compared to Fox and Falco (and three Star Fox reps is a good number).