SITE REBUILD THOUGHTS OR QUESTIONS? CLICK HERE FIRST!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

private messages worked earlier but now they don't seem to be.

#203 Posted by finalstar2007 (24889 posts) -

So i thought those who been on GameSpot for so long and those who had high levels ( was level 63 ) to get special emblems next to their names.. so where are those emblems at?

#204 Posted by Blabadon (25691 posts) -

So i thought those who been on GameSpot for so long and those who had high levels ( was level 63 ) to get special emblems next to their names.. so where are those emblems at?

Put the e-peen away finalstar, no one cares

#205 Posted by finalstar2007 (24889 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Put the e-peen away finalstar, no one cares

I do -_-

Sigh cant even get into settings page, too many errors -_-

#206 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -

A way to preview your post would be nice. >_>

#207 Posted by bobbetybob (19127 posts) -

A way to preview your post would be nice. >_>

Would definitely help with the big hype threads, as would some more formatting options (no center allignment? seriously...) but I'm hoping it won't be needed for normal stuff now, I used to only use it when the forums were being crappy and not doing images or putting in gaps between paragraphs properly.

#208 Posted by Nike_Air (18297 posts) -

My review -

New-Gamespot is a poorly conceived website that struggles to form a cohesive whole. By borrowing the core elements of Old-Gamespot but never working them properly into the site , the execution is constantly at odds with the intent. New-Gamespot stands as one of the greatest disappointments in my gaming life because I know what Gamespot is capable of and could only see the squandered potential of its latest foray. New-Gamespot has a fascinating world, in both visual design and premise, so it's a shame that its vision falters, shying away from exploring any potentially user improvements in favor of focusing on advertising opportunities that will endlessly annoy the end user. New-Gamespot is an incoherent mess that fails in both its revised moderation rules and its forums.

4/10

#209 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

can somebody send me a PM to test if they're working or not?

#210 Posted by Giancar (19046 posts) -

Cant set up my avi =|

#211 Edited by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

I did the hack, avatar still isn't showing.

#212 Edited by McStrongfast (4262 posts) -

How come some of yall got your avatars working?

Here's a random tweet to see how that works.

In the editor it's just two lines of text, none of that other fanciness.
Fahrenheit is a glorious game by the way.

#213 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

One thing I really like is the poll is changed so it actually shows what you voted for that is one thing I didn't like about the old site.

For really old threads I always forgot what I voted for.

#214 Posted by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

Yay! It works

#215 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

got your PM, xaero, but now i can't see it anymore. i can't tell if it keeps bugging out or not.

#216 Posted by Giancar (19046 posts) -
#217 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -

@Giancar said:

@clyde46: Tell me your magic.

NAO! >=/

Open up the console in either Firefox or Chrome and copy and paste this into it.

$('head').append('<meta name="roles" content="elkrules" /> ');

#218 Posted by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

I'd like a "Go to last post" option.

#220 Posted by Giancar (19046 posts) -

@Giancar said:

NAO! >=/

Open up the console in either Firefox or Chrome and copy and paste this into it.

The settings option? And then where do I paste that? Damn, I cant find my old avy anywyas =/

#221 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -

@Giancar said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Giancar said:

NAO! >=/

The settings option? And then where do I paste that? Damn, I cant find my old avy anywyas =/

Press Ctrl + Shift + J for Chrome and Ctrl + Shift + K for Firefox. Then just copy and paste that line of code and hit enter.

#222 Posted by Cyberdot (3514 posts) -

I'm sure I'll grow to this new design.

But a lot of features and functionalities are missing though. :( - Now where is my goddamn emoticon!?

#223 Posted by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

@Giancar said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Giancar said:

NAO! >=/

Right, go to the settings page, then open the console. On FF its CTRL+SHFT+K. Once thats open, copy and paste that line of code in. There is a little text line at the bottom of the screen, right click and paste there and hit enter. Then click on your avatar and that should bring up the dialog option to allow you to change your avatar.

#224 Edited by Giancar (19046 posts) -
#225 Posted by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

This has to be THE worst side redesign ever.

You fail GS. See all the people leaving?

#226 Edited by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

@Lumpy311: Wait, WTF happened to 1300 posts of mine?

This fucking sucks.

#227 Posted by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

@Lumpy311 said:

This has to be THE worst side redesign ever.

You fail GS. See all the people leaving?

Pretty harsh man. A lot of features are still missing etc and there are things that I would like to see implemented but as far as redesigns go, this is not that bad. It will take a while for things to settle down, for people to find where things are etc but I can see myself getting to like the new site.

#228 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42585 posts) -

I see some folks have their avys up.

#229 Edited by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

@clyde46: I don't know man, this thing is just shit, i can only post twice before getting a cooldown, everything takes a shitload of time to load, there's no personality in the posters anymore, i lost 1300 posts, no sigs, no avatars, painful to read posts and it's obviously designed for tablets/phones.

#230 Edited by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

stevo, did you get a pm from me?

#231 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#232 Posted by Giancar (19046 posts) -

The mobile thing is a HUGE step imo.

Now I can bash everyone from the street!

Who I am kidding, I dont bash anyone, but it is a cool thing to have a mobile version. =P

#233 Edited by Zaibach (13430 posts) -
#234 Edited by Slashkice (13017 posts) -

Oh hey, stability. Now that I can actually get the site to load, a few things:

1. Avatars/sigs: allow us to use off-site hosting. Alternatively, just make it so Gamespot doesn't compress images so much.
  2. The words "System Wars" appearing below every thread is both unnecessary and clutters the layout of the boards.
  3. Blab mentioned this already, but there's so much wasted space. It'd be less apparent if the site was centered, but it's not. Anyways, everything in that right section is unneeded. I can see a case being made for the 'Main Boards' section, but there are better ways of implementing it than the current method.
  4. The site feels like it was designed with mobile users in mind, but when I actually visited the website on my phone I found it's rather shit. The buttons are too small; the 'go to last page' button is particularly tiny. If I have to zoom in to browse, the design has failed. Also, having no option to return to the main boards from the bottom of a page is a huge oversight.
  5. No way to preview your post sucks something fierce. Sincerely, a creator of hype threads.
  6. Other random notes: names not showing fully is dumb, avatar/sig buttons not working is also dumb.

Overall I find the new design politically muddled and profoundly misogynistic.

#235 Edited by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

@Lumpy311 said:

@clyde46: I don't know man, this thing is just shit, i can only post twice before getting a cooldown, everything takes a shitload of time to load, there's no personality in the posters anymore, i lost 1300 posts, no sigs, no avatars, painful to read posts and it's obviously designed for tablets/phones.

Just because its designed for tablets doesn't mean it wont work on a desktop. They only launched this new site yesterday, if this crap was still happening in November then I'd be annoyed but cut them some slack man. GS is one the oldest gaming sites on the net, everything is new now. To be honest, I think they did a marvelous job bringing across post counts as they said they originally weren't going to do that.

#236 Edited by Lumpy311 (673 posts) -

@clyde46: If they're gonna shave off 1k of my posts might as well make me restart.

To be honest, i'm hoping this site dies. It had a good run.

#237 Edited by Zaibach (13430 posts) -

@Slashkice: spot on, gone is personalised feel that at least made the posters stand out, no sigs, gifs, everything seems to want to escape via the left side of the screen. What was once a barely functioning forum with admittedly some issues is now a cluttered mess derived of of personality or identity, I know its the 'In thing' to try and hang with the new-fangled social media lot but all we've ended up with is a bastard offspring of facebook and giantbomb that was raised by twitter.

Soon as I get my Gaf/gamefaqs account I'm gone and so will a lot of people.

#238 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -
@Zaibach said:

@Slashkice: spot on, gone is personalised feel that at least made the posters stand out, no sigs, gifs, everything seems to want to escape via the left side of the screen. What was once a barely functioning forum with admittedly some issues is now a cluttered mess derived of of personality or identity, I know its the 'In thing' to try and hang with the new-fangled social media lot but all we've ended up with is a bastard offspring of facebook and giantbomb that was raised by twitter.

Soon as I get my Gaf/gamefaqs account I'm gone and so will a lot of people.

Lol, "a bastard offspring of facebook and giantbomb that was raised by twitter". An absolutely perfect description.

#239 Edited by clyde46 (44109 posts) -

You want to trade here for the Gaf? The Gaf's layout is even worse!

#240 Edited by Giancar (19046 posts) -

I am giving the benefit of the doubt.

We all know GS need structural changes, not just a new paint of coat.

The first steps are done, now hopefully the staff takes into consideration all the feedback we are giving. Everything will be fine. Or at least, not as bad as the Bonk ****.

#241 Edited by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

It's a piece of shit so far with some good things about it(mainly new features added from other sites). I will no longer be as active as I was in the past.

#242 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Just listen to this song and the website doesn't seem so bad.

#243 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -

@Giancar said:

I am giving the benefit of the doubt.

We all know GS need structural changes, not just a new paint of coat.

The first steps are done, now hopefully the staff takes into consideration all the feedback we are giving. Everything will be fine. Or at least, not as bad as the Bonk ****.

They didn't take any feedback into consideration when designing the site, doubt they will now.

#244 Edited by freedomfreak (38779 posts) -

Godking David Bowie.

#245 Edited by Ballroompirate (22284 posts) -

Great now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head....

#246 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#247 Posted by Blabadon (25691 posts) -

What also sucks is that CheapAssGamer recently redid their site and actually made it all much better. They constantly listened to community feedback and dealt with issues at hand. It still has some issues, but the launch of it was much better than it was here. Of course, that probably has to do with CAG literally being community run.

GameSpot's feels more like Lark and Synthia coming around every once in a while saying "HEY FUCK YOU, R WE PRETTY NOW?"

#248 Posted by osan0 (12599 posts) -

much nicer in black :).

ive only had a brief look around and looks good imho. im going to play more with the forum now.

just one minor gripe (cause there has to be :P). I have a gamespot tab on Firefox. if i try to log in it opens a new window that asks for the login details. i then need to log in, refresh my original gamespot tab and off i go. bit of a kerfuffel.

any chance of a more elegant login system? something like what they do on the nintendovip website maybe.

if there is one already then apologies for missing it.

#249 Posted by Giancar (19046 posts) -

A point system for posters would be pretty much appreciated.

That way newcomers could really distinguish good posters with trolls.

Maybe we can get that in a patch? Please no DLC.

#250 Edited by McStrongfast (4262 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

I'm sure I'll grow to this new design.

But a lot of features and functionalities are missing though. :( - Now where is my goddamn emoticon!?

Emoticons? Why don't you complain about the lack of recordable VHS tapes for sale these day while you're at it, ya friggin hippy.

GoddamTableTime
Lorem ipsumthe brown fox something or otherden spanska riven rev en annan riv.

Borders don't seem to work.

Column HeadColumn HeadColumn Head
you cando thistoo