SITE REBUILD THOUGHTS OR QUESTIONS? CLICK HERE FIRST!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#551 Edited by 2mrw (4955 posts) -

For the love of god bring the old posting history back. Much much easier to keep up with threads i posted in compared to this new watch topic button

Yes plzzzz, we are suffering here

and showing "views" is pointless and confusing .... remove it

#552 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (237 posts) -

I need to know if I still need to reach a certain "Level" to create threads on System Wars.

Someone please reply, thanks.

#553 Posted by lostrib (26550 posts) -

what does the "flag" option on posts do?

#554 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

I need to know if I still need to reach a certain "Level" to create threads on System Wars.

Someone please reply, thanks.

As far as I'm aware, no.

There are no more levels, now, the only restriction new users get is being able to post only 5 times per day, until you hit 25 posts. A way to fight spam, though if you ask me, also a way to properly detract new users from the forum.

#555 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@lostrib said:

It's just a new way of reporting, here's how GS puts it:

1. Flagged content gains +1 karma point for the submitter and the accused. If the moderator accepts the accusor's position, their karma is reset.
  2. Once a user hits +10 karma they are banned from posting.
  3. Karma automatically degrades -1 karma each night.
#556 Edited by lostrib (26550 posts) -

@lostrib said:

1. Flagged content gains +1 karma point for the submitter and the accused. If the moderator accepts the accusor's position, their karma is reset.

Where is this from? and wtf is karma? So what happens if the accusation isn't accepted?

Thanks though, I've been wondering how to report since not soon after the new forums, spammers started to show up but the flag option doesn't give any way to say why the item is reported

#557 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@NameIess_One said:

@lostrib said:

Where is this from? and wtf is karma? So what happens if the accusation isn't accepted?

Thanks though, I've been wondering how to report since not soon after the new forums, spammers started to show up but the flag option doesn't give any way to say why the item is reported

Click the "Start a new topic" button on the SW frontpage, there, all of these rules are listed.

If the accusation isn't accepted, your karma point stays, though it'll go away in 24 hours time... so, it's unlikely you'll get yourself in trouble by wrongly reporting some post... unless you go on a reporting rampage, and start flagging posts at random.

Oh, and if you accidentally flag someone's post, you can unflag it by clicking the "Flag" button again... though sometimes, it doesn't work. I made a thread about it in the "Bugs and Feedback" board, check it out if you want.

#558 Posted by lostrib (26550 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@NameIess_One said:

@lostrib said:

Click the "Start a new topic" button on the SW frontpage, there, all of these rules are listed.

If the accusation isn't accepted, your karma point stays, though it'll go away in 24 hours time... so, it's unlikely you'll get yourself in trouble by wrongly reporting some post... unless you go on a reporting rampage, and start flagging posts at random.

Oh, and if you accidentally flag someone's post, you can unflag it by clicking the "Flag" button again... though sometimes, it doesn't work. I made a thread about it in the "Bugs and Feedback" board, check it out if you want.

ah, that would be why i never saw this. I rarely make threads :P

#559 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

I have a question:

How do I make Adblock filters work on the new site? Since it seems there is still no meaningful moderation going on in the forums.

#560 Posted by madsnakehhh (13915 posts) -

A question here.

Is there a way to check on grammar while posting on forums? the old one had one for misspelled words and it was very useful to me since i'm still learning English.

#561 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

A question here.

Is there a way to check on grammar while posting on forums? the old one had one for misspelled words and it was very useful to me since i'm still learning English.

Chrome spell-checks automatically, and I think in Firefox you can right-click and say "Check spelling". There are add-ons for IE that do it too.

#562 Edited by Jynxzor (9257 posts) -

I miss my signature...but it's just too damn tall.

I guess as a graphic designer by trade I could make a new one...but...naw.

#563 Posted by Litchie (16107 posts) -

Since the reviews of GameSpot started to be absolutely horrible (after the greats, namely Greg Kasavin, Jeff Gerstmann, etc.) I thought about leaving the site, but decided to stick around for the great forums they have. Now they have butchered their own forums too, and I'm beginning to wonder what the hell I'm doing here.

Anyone have an estimated time when GameSpot wont be retarded anymore? I might check back in a month or so.

#564 Edited by Heil68 (40629 posts) -

The new layout is ok. My #truth and #legendary post dont get out to the masses quite as fast, but that's ok by golly.

#565 Posted by charizard1605 (52816 posts) -

Introduce an upvote/downvote system for posts, so I can upvote everything Heil posts.

#566 Edited by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

I'm gonna nerd out here... I actually LOVE the new site. #kissass

Seriously though, the mobile support is so much better than the old site and I'm loving he ease of use on the pc. Still some issues with not being able to see how many posts from my last post, but other than that I have almost no issues...

#567 Edited by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

Introduce an upvote/downvote system for posts, so I can upvote everything Heil posts.

I'll downvote it almost immediately...

#568 Edited by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Since the reviews of GameSpot started to be absolutely horrible (after the greats, namely Greg Kasavin, Jeff Gerstmann, etc.) I thought about leaving the site, but decided to stick around for the great forums they have. Now they have butchered their own forums too, and I'm beginning to wonder what the hell I'm doing here.

Anyone have an estimated time when GameSpot wont be retarded anymore? I might check back in a month or so.

In about a month, when the engineering team catches up and the site is working as designed, we can all appreciate how shitty the old site was in hindsight.

#569 Posted by Zaibach (13390 posts) -

this layout is cumbersome and bloated and its crippling whatever semblance of 'community' that was left.

#570 Edited by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

@Zaibach said:

this layout is cumbersome and bloated and its crippling whatever semblance of 'community' that was left.

I don't know, you're all uniting to whine about it.

#571 Edited by Zaibach (13390 posts) -

@Cherokee_Jack said:

@Zaibach said:

desertion is the logical conclusion of derision, look at the first page and tell me this forum is as active as it used to be (even though quality-wise it was circling the drain) but at least it was active.

honestly tell me, are posting as much as you did pre the new abortion of a layout?

I know I'm not, hell I cant even tell what threads I've posted in... (there would be a confused smiley here, had it not been removed for equally pointless reasons)

#572 Posted by FIipMode (10846 posts) -

So can you change posts per page from 50?

#573 Edited by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

@FIipMode: I made an inquiry to the powers that be about it... I want the 20 post pages back... Let me give u the damn hits gamespot. 50ppp is to bloated to me. Especially when u get people quoting eachother. Its easy to get lost.

#574 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

@Zaibach said:

@Cherokee_Jack said:

@Zaibach said:

desertion is the logical conclusion of derision, look at the first page and tell me this forum is as active as it used to be (even though quality-wise it was circling the drain) but at least it was active.

honestly tell me, are posting as much as you did pre the new abortion of a layout?

I know I'm not, hell I cant even tell what threads I've posted in... (there would be a confused smiley here, had it not been removed for equally pointless reasons)

I'm posting about as much. I would be posting more if my Adblock filters hadn't stopped working and so many trolls hadn't been unbanned. But that's not the fault of the layout, is it.

In fact, most of the complaints spring from the rough launch, not the on-paper design of the site. Yet no one is willing to be patient and help iron out the wrinkles. Some community.

#575 Edited by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

Also I'm sure some people have not noticed this:

Press that.

#576 Posted by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

@glez13 said:

The damn site keeps reseting my sig. :X

Anyone else has this problem?

This is the second time today that I have to reselect my sig.

LOL make it a third time.

yep happens to me on both mobile and pc... I found that if i let it sit, it will set itself back on a few occasions... Gotta think this is one that they'll clean up soon.

#577 Posted by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

NOTIFICATIONS WORRRKKKKK!!!!! Anyone else enjoying this feature being turned on? I just got 106 emails worth of notifications... haha. Wow, I hope those who departed come back, this forum has become soooo easy to use.

#578 Posted by dissembled (356 posts) -

It loads so slowly for me and I have a 20MBPS dowload speed. A question, if I may. How the heck do you quote someone?

#579 Edited by Zaibach (13390 posts) -

@Zaibach said:

@Cherokee_Jack said:

@Zaibach said:

I'm posting about as much. I would be posting more if my Adblock filters hadn't stopped working and so many trolls hadn't been unbanned. But that's not the fault of the layout, is it.

In fact, most of the complaints spring from the rough launch, not the on-paper design of the site. Yet no one is willing to be patient and help iron out the wrinkles. Some community.

then you really havent been reading the thread so far, plenty of posters have gone and I can't blame them, many of those who used to belong in unions or the like minded individuals who werent interested in the biblical like flood-like proportion of fanboy BS that now flows from the entirety of the board.

bugs I can deal with, it was never a smooth running forum to begin with but a lot of the changes are pointless. I have seen the wee button what's meant to expand the format, laughably lame, thanks for the extra 2 millimetres (that's what she said).

The layout is messy, bloated and unintuitive, yes it has some nice touches now but for everything it does right there is a needless and baffling change, why is everything trying to escape via the left side of my screen?

why can't I tell which threads I have posted in? ( had to make a thread just so I had something to follow)

plus a ton more I have already talked about pages back. Not a single poster owes GS patience or 'help' there were tons of suggestions some by very prominent and highly though of people waaay back on how to improve the site, they were ignored. No one will tolerate a buggy cumbersome site mere weeks before a new console generation launch, there are plenty of other forums.

#580 Edited by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Also I'm sure some people have not noticed this:

Press that.

Awesome, hadn't noticed that. Looks better that way, though I'd prefer it to be a bit wider.

#581 Posted by TheGuardian03 (20669 posts) -

Site is so slow, fix it.

#582 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@Zaibach said:

The layout is messy, bloated and unintuitive, yes it has some nice touches now but for everything it does right there is a needless and baffling change, why is everything trying to escape via the left side of my screen?

why can't I tell which threads I have posted in? ( had to make a thread just so I had something to follow)

May I ask how is it bloated and unintuitive?

The lack of thread markers and unread post count are valid complaints, we brought it up to staff's attention, and got a reply, so it's being acknowledged:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/bring-back-the-new-posts-in-thread-indicators-30860626/#32

Aside from that, there aren't many problems I have with the site, just some minor cosmetic issues like the username and post count being displayed twice per post, which is redundant. The board name under every thread is pointless as well, and I'd welcome emoticons back. Still, these things don't really affect my forum experience.

#583 Edited by StealthMonkey4 (7042 posts) -

Awful, new text editor is awful, posts are clumped too close together. No sigs, no levels, no titles, no way to tell which threads you've viewed or posted in. How anyone thought this was an improvement in any way whatsoever is beyond me.

#584 Posted by MonsieurX (27172 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@NameIess_One said:

@lostrib said:

So I can make 10 alts,flag people and then they can't post anymore?

#585 Posted by Heil68 (40629 posts) -

I love the tools to edit your posts, especially when inserting images.

#586 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

So I can make 10 alts,flag people and then they can't post anymore?

No, if the person you reported is to receive "karma", the mod has to verify your flag first.

#587 Posted by Zensword (3877 posts) -

still no emoticons ?

#588 Posted by ebonyflame (510 posts) -

I am digging the new site design and now that my profile is back I am loving it. My only request is that you be able to move games from one stack to another and a better sorting mechanism for the stacks because right now to find any game in my collection I am scrolling through page after page. Before the site redesign I could filter it out by system (Gamecube, PC, Xbox 360, etc.)

#589 Posted by m_machine024 (14708 posts) -

How can I center my avatar? Or do I have to resize it myself?

#590 Edited by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Could you guys please make sure that when I click on a thread I actually go to the last page instead of somewhere in the middle ?

It happens every time and it's getting beyond annoying.

#591 Posted by glez13 (8355 posts) -

@glez13 said:

The damn site keeps reseting my sig. :X

Anyone else has this problem?

This is the second time today that I have to reselect my sig.

LOL make it a third time.

yep happens to me on both mobile and pc... I found that if i let it sit, it will set itself back on a few occasions... Gotta think this is one that they'll clean up soon.

Yeah, I also realized this with a little of testing.

Also, does anyone know how following games works now or is it broken? Because when I select one and the button says "following" nothing seems to happen. Is it the same with notifications? They seem to randomly appear days later than the actual post that mentions me and stay even after watched and seem to disappear also randomly after a while.

#592 Posted by Blabadon (23898 posts) -

This site is insufferably bad and the programmers who made it should be ashamed that they left the community side of it less than half-baked and more glitchy than ever.

Synthia's "Wait for V2" and "Weekly Bug Report full of things we shouldn't have forgot in the first place/probably won't fix" aren't helping either.

#593 Edited by Rayster84 (2 posts) -
#594 Posted by heretrix (36985 posts) -

So, the speed is a bit better and I don't hate the new format, my only major issue is not being able to go to your last post so that you can follow a thread without having to scan the whole goddamn thing. It's really beginnin- Ok, it always annoyed me. The gamespot forums is really the only gaming forum I post in regularly and it's beginning to make me not want to post here. I understand that everything is being built from the ground up but these are basic posting functions. I thought the point was to make the site better? It's kind of lame that the forums were functionally better with the old software.

#595 Edited by 2mrw (4955 posts) -

We still can't resume reading threads after the last post we read, this has to be your top priority rightnow

#596 Posted by 2mrw (4955 posts) -

@heretrix said:

So, the speed is a bit better and I don't hate the new format, my only major issue is not being able to go to your last post so that you can follow a thread without having to scan the whole goddamn thing. It's really beginnin- Ok, it always annoyed me. The gamespot forums is really the only gaming forum I post in regularly and it's beginning to make me not want to post here. I understand that everything is being built from the ground up but these are basic posting functions. I thought the point was to make the site better? It's kind of lame that the forums were functionally better with the old software.

This, you are speaking of what's in my mind .... this is a essential/mandatory/Basic thing we are missing here.

#597 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (9996 posts) -

I want the old format back. Everything looks ugly now.

#598 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Can you make it so that gifs can be turned off in the mobile version of the site(or if they can how do I do it)? Also can you make the mobile version of the site faster?

#599 Posted by Heil68 (40629 posts) -

@heretrix said:

X2

When you post as much truth as I do, you want to see where you left off. Not being able to is a drag. Please fix that.

#600 Edited by Grenadeh (102 posts) -

Stacks suck. That's my thought. Especially the stacks that converted from former GS where it lists all your games but there is no longer a differentiation for different systems. Maybe I own the same game on 4 systems. Because I do. So it should appear like I have less games than I do? Also they are just a pain - they don't tell you if you add duplicates, don't sort alphabetically, grrr.