SITE REBUILD THOUGHTS OR QUESTIONS? CLICK HERE FIRST!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

Hello, friends.

As you may or may not be aware, based on your ability to observe changes, Gamespot has undergone a fairly major overhaul to the tune of everything is brand new. If you've ever been a part of such a project you know that it takes time and that it's not as easy as flipping a simple switch. This is the crunch time, and I have it on good authority that the site's developers are working hard to correct problems and fix issues that may currently be plaguing you.

So fear not, things WILL GET BETTER but it just may take a little time. In the grand scheme of things, you're looking at major improvements and enhancements to your daily GS life at the cost of a few short moments of inconvenience.

Patience, it'll all be so much better so soon.

If you have questions or want to talk about it, do so here, but do everything in your power to prevent yourself from just complaining and whining. It'll all be okay.

#2 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8680 posts) -

At this point, I couldn't care less about the stability issues. It's the layout that's atrocious. I'm no web designer, but this is simply one of the ugliest forum layouts I've had the misfortune of dealing with. Not to mention the idea of going back and adding multiple scores to previously reviewed games seems like a massive cry for hits. I'm all for that when it comes to new games, but this is just strange.

#3 Edited by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

Did anyone else's post count get reduced dramatically?

#4 Edited by The4thVIII (372 posts) -

Your OP and your title have nothing in common.

#5 Edited by wolverine4262 (18804 posts) -

Any idea if the ability to select individual pages of a thread or see if/how many new posts are in a thread will return? As well, as previously viewed thread titles appearing differently (not bold)?

#6 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

Well, we're off to a great start.

If I had to attempt to agree with you, I'd say that longer threads have a lot of unused space as you go down the side of the page along the right. It's my guess that they imagine something filling that space, it's just not there yet.

I really like this new layout, I like the new forum tools, and I like the new mobile enhancements. Overall I'm really happy with all these changes. Do you know what the most popular outspoken reaction is to major website changes?... Ever seen people talk about FB feed updates?

#7 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38168 posts) -

Why can't I change my avatar?

#8 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#9 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

Your OP and your title have nothing in common.

That is not true.

Why can't I change my avatar?

No idea. Likely a known issue. Developers are updating things as we type.

#10 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Threads are almost unreadable, might just stop coming here.

#11 Posted by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -

So when I try to change my avatar in the settings and click "Select Image" nothing happens...?

#12 Posted by Willy105 (24486 posts) -

Idk about you guys, but I like my avatar.

#13 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -
GameThoughtsRationale
MarathonBest Game EverShut Up Your Face Just Agree
GTA IVReally BoringShut Up Your Face Just Agree
MGS4Overly Dramatic MovieI like that we can make tables.... > : D

#14 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

When I click to upload any image in Google Chrome - no dialog box comes up.

I'm trying to diagnose it with other browsers but the data is served so slowly.

Firefox - Same issue as chrome.

Internet Explorer (lol) - page does not render correctly so I'm unable to test.

Windows 7 64 bit enterprise (I'm at work, we have a site wide licence. I ain't no pirate)

#15 Posted by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -

Just out of curiosity - will the most recent posts and threads made before the upgrade be back?

#16 Posted by Blabadon (25227 posts) -

Jesus.

This new site is horrible.

#17 Posted by bleehum (5320 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Jesus.

I have to agree. The forum layout is quite unreadable.

#18 Posted by Willy105 (24486 posts) -

@IgGy621985: Doubt it, since they had a huge banner at the top of the page saying that nothing would be recorded after the date shown.

#19 Edited by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -

I actually like the new forums. It seems unreadable now because everyone has the same avatar and there are no sigs.

Give it some time when Gamespot fixes the bugs and actually enables uploading avatar pics.

#20 Edited by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

Change for the sake of change...thanks for making the only electronic catalogue of my collection all but unnavigable.

#21 Posted by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -

@Willy105: Oh, missed that one :-D

Btw, where are... emoticons?

#22 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

@bleehum said:

@Blabadon said:

Jesus.

I have to agree. The forum layout is quite unreadable.

Every time I read comments like that I'm compelled to think of every single Facebook site update ever. Somehow those people that use that obscure website managed to survive the updates. I feel confident that you will, too. You may even learn to love them, like an arranged marriage.

#23 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

I actually like the new forums. It seems unreadable now because everyone has the same avatar and there are no sigs.

Give it some time when Gamespot fixes the bugs and actually enables uploading avatar pics.

Very astute observation. Once we get avatars, it'll all be so much easier.

#24 Edited by bleehum (5320 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

Very astute observation. Once we get avatars, it'll all be so much easier.

We shall see.

#25 Posted by HowlingLotus (385 posts) -

I agree that change for the sake of change doesn't always work, but I suppose we will find out within the weeks to come.

There won't be a shortage of feedback... that is for sure.

#26 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I'm glad they put our usernames and posts at the bottom of our avatars, and they also seem to have spaced out our forum posts in threads. Makes things a bit more tolerable...

Though, it seems they took about 700 posts out of my post count. What's up with that?

#27 Edited by bleehum (5320 posts) -

We need a return to board button at the bottom of the page, unless I'm just not seeing it.

#28 Posted by Blabadon (25227 posts) -

I like it, but goddamn, so much wasted space on the right side of the page.

#29 Edited by Slashkice (12980 posts) -

Browsing the site is more trouble than its worth right now. So I'm out until GS gets its shit together.

#30 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

@bleehum said:

We need a return to board button at the bottom of the page, unless I'm just not seeing it.

@Blabadon said:

I like it, but goddamn, so much wasted space on the right side of the page.

You have both summed up my two top issues with the forums back to back.

#31 Edited by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -

Also, there are no levels :-(

No emoticons :-(

This could mess things up in System Wars since there was level 10 rule to open threads here.

#32 Posted by Blabadon (25227 posts) -

Oh. My. God.

Why are so many forums so intent on not having a board button at the bottom of the page? I don't get it, how was this not in any sort of feedback? I mean, c'mon, seriously?

#33 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

This is abysmal. The old site was infinitely better.

No personality. No emoticons, no sigs, no gifs. everything is ridiculously close together. No level, no custom colors. Why did they do this? Was the forum just too good before? This is change for the sake of change. There has been no improvement at all just restrictions. I don't even think I will come back anymore. Horrible.

#34 Edited by Blabadon (25227 posts) -

"You posted too many messages in a row."

Also, change this shit. Forreal

#35 Posted by Chrome- (1660 posts) -

Man this is so claustrophobic...

#36 Posted by remiks00 (1535 posts) -

At this point, I couldn't care less about the stability issues. It's the layout that's atrocious. I'm no web designer, but this is simply one of the ugliest forum layouts I've had the misfortune of dealing with. Not to mention the idea of going back and adding multiple scores to previously reviewed games seems like a massive cry for hits. I'm all for that when it comes to new games, but this is just strange.

Totally agree with this, why in the hell would you do this? Specifically the Bioshock Infinite review recently, previously was a 9, now its a 4.......wtf.

#37 Edited by TheEroica (13061 posts) -

I like the new layout... Liked the old one too but this one has promise...

My question is how do I get black background on the Android app

#38 Edited by super600 (29963 posts) -

I noticed my post count was reduced.I also noticed two other things like the insane loading problems this new site design is plauged with currently. I expect that one and the other issue to be fixed soon.

#39 Edited by wolverine4262 (18804 posts) -

No one else thinks its a pain that they cant easily see how many new posts are in a thread or even if they've already looked at a thread? Am I missing something?

#40 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

@super600 said:

Besides the loading issues this site is fine.

You have never been more wrong.

#41 Posted by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -
#42 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

i like the whole site, BUT i want the feature back where it says there new post on a topic

#43 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

has avatar uploading been disabled until things go smoothly?

#44 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

has avatar uploading been disabled until things go smoothly?

Not sure, but we all miss it.

#45 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3672 posts) -

I could have designed and programmed a better site than this blind folded using my penis while being heavily exposed to high levels of radiation with poison from the biggest puffer fish flowing through my body.

#46 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

I could have designed and programmed a better site than this blind folded using my penis while being heavily exposed to high levels of radiation with poison from the biggest puffer fish flowing through my body.

Prove it. How you utilize your member during the development process is something I don't need to see. The rest, though, that would do just fine.... Just fine...

#47 Edited by Seabas989 (9959 posts) -

This is awful.

#48 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

BUT i want the feature back where it says there new post on a topic

Yeah, I just realized this new design doesn't have it. It Definitely needs it.

#49 Posted by IgGy621985 (4564 posts) -

Some people over here are overreacting...

Forums look awesome and the site looks awesome.

They just need a bit fixing and tweaking...

#50 Posted by FIipMode (10846 posts) -

Wow this is terrible, but I hardly come here anyway. The forums will probably die some more.