Simply put, the PS3 wiped the floor with exclusives last gen.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Simply put, the PS3 wiped the floor with exclusives last gen. (136 votes)

Yes, the PS3 won last gen 66%
No, the 360 did 14%
No, the Wii did 20%

SImply put. I don't think it's something worth debating. I'm sorry but you're not going to tell me the 360's HALOCODFORZAGEARS and repeat library beats the PS3's. Not going to happen.

You're not going to tell me this....
isn't better than this...

Sorry, Herms. Keeping this between the Consoles.

• 
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#201 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@tubbyc said:

I'm wondering if that spreadsheet is still updated somewhere. I only found an out of date one. So I thought maybe that was a link in your sig where it says Spreadsheet, but found it wasn't.

Spreadsheet hasn't been updated in a long time, but I do have the updated tally.

* PS3 port released only in Japan; regional exclusive everywhere else (Not included in tally, but worthy of note)

This list is still missing lots of PS3 titles. and plus you listed Heaveny Sword 2wice for some reason.

You're missing Journey, Flower, White Knight Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles 2, Xcom, 3D heroes, Folklore, Sly thieves in time, Tales of Xillia, Papo and Yo, and who knows what else you're missing but that's 10 there alone. Try again.

Some of those aren't exclusives

Well then most are

see stevo's explanation above on why they aren't on that list

I saw his explanation and I've already said, looking at His list, the margin is still there in the variety. Most of Xbox games on that list are from the same freaking franchise so unless you enjoy a linear library and being limited, the PS3 wipes the floor clean. Hands down.

Well that's your opinion

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Well yea the OP is right. It's an objective truth that over the duration of the generation, the PS3 offered more and better exclusive software.

I think the 360 started really strong. The first few years were exceptional. Then as we all know...the 360 just started to tail off. Right around when they moved their priorities to Kinect and the casual market. When Gears 1 and Halo 3 and Forza's were coming out and they appeared to have interest in their creative side with games like Kameo, Alan Wake, Chromehounds, and Fable their exclusive library looked good and felt good. But over the last 3 years or so, exclusives for the 360 became rehashes of Halo, Forza and Gears and little else. It actually made me lose interest in first party gaming on the 360. I would still pick up appropriate multiplasts on the 360, but there was no more excitement on the horizon for fresh games, IPs or ideas.

In that same period of time, the PS3 started slower and finished much, much stronger. A lot of its early exclusives flopped hard (LAIR, Heavenly Sword, etc.) or were kinda boring (Resistance). But then came the LittleBigPlanets, Ratchet & Clanks, Warhawk, GT's, KillZone 2/3, MLB The Show's, MGS4's, God of War's, and Uncharted's. Ending with games like Last of Us, GT6, and Beyond. It went from a system with mediocre games to the must-have system for exclusives.

Anyone who doesn't have a PS3 at this point needs to get one on sale to play the games they missed this generation. The gamer inside of you will thank you. As this new generation starts (or continues if you include the WiiU), my hope is that Microsoft and its One recaptures some of the magic they had in 2005-2008 when they weren't depending on 2 or 3 franchises to carry them every year...and that Sony continues to produce creative software like Tear Away and the games they've brought out over the last few years for the PS4.

Define: "objective proof."

Furthermore, do we conveniently ignore the "creative" XBLA games that have released in the same period? It's true that following the Kinect's release in the Fall of 2010 that there was a sharp dropoff of quality retail exclusives, but that doesn't showcase the entire picture when 2011 and 2012 saw a lot of high quality XBLA games.

We don't need to play this game.

2011 and 2012 saw a lot of high quality PSN games as well, but we're not talking about indie games and I didn't mention any in the first place. For full-featured AAA games (that is, games with huge budgets), Sony has for the last few years brought out the most unique and intriguing software. You acknowledged it and I said it. We don't disagree, so let's not try to find room to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing. I'm not in the mood for it or any other brand of intellectual dishonesty and speciousness, frankly.

Unless you have a strong inclination to play Gears of War Judgement or 3 (and not even hardcore Gears players like those games)...or Halo 4 (hardcore Halo players recognize it as the worst entry into the franchise)...or Forza Horizon (one step forward, two steps back), there was little over the last couple of years for 360 owners to get excited about. Very damn little. Instead of letting Rare develop Conker, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Banjo & Kazooie, and Kameo, they pushed them towards Kinect Sports and similar. They let Bungie simply walk away. Remedy gave the 360 one game in its entire lifetime before moving onto the One for Quantum Break. A number of other studios were closed along the way like Digital Anvil.

The 360 was held together, IMO, by the strength of multi-platform franchises and brands since the launch of Kinect. You know, the Call of Dutys, Maddens, NBA2K's, Maaaahvel's, Street Fighters, and GTA's of the gaming world. That's just the truth of it coming from someone who's been an Xbox Live gamer since the month after it came out on the O.G. Xbox. So you don't need to talk to me like I'm one of these new, lost cubs on this forum. We started posting here at GS damn near the same time. Anyone saying the last few years of 360 gaming were good days for major exclusive franchises is lying to themselves. So again, here's hoping the next few years for the One look more like the first few years for the 360, and less like the last few years of the 360. More risks, more creative titles, and the revival of more dormant IPs.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#203 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@SolidTy: Which of the keepers on the spreadsheet was on that "agenda train" or swayed by the illuminati? Treal? You? Nerd? Casey? Lol Oh lawd.

I was talking about other, older conversations, NVM. LAWLosarus Rex....

Lshmsfoaidmt (laughing so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco)

╔╗╔═╦╗

║╚╣║║╚╗

╚═╩═╩═╝

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@tubbyc said:

I'm wondering if that spreadsheet is still updated somewhere. I only found an out of date one. So I thought maybe that was a link in your sig where it says Spreadsheet, but found it wasn't.

Spreadsheet hasn't been updated in a long time, but I do have the updated tally.

* PS3 port released only in Japan; regional exclusive everywhere else (Not included in tally, but worthy of note)

This list is still missing lots of PS3 titles. and plus you listed Heaveny Sword 2wice for some reason.

You're missing Journey, Flower, White Knight Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles 2, Xcom, 3D heroes, Folklore, Sly thieves in time, Tales of Xillia, Papo and Yo, and who knows what else you're missing but that's 10 there alone. Try again.

Some of those aren't exclusives

Well then most are

I saw his explanation and I've already said, looking at His list, the margin is still there in the variety. Most of Xbox games on that list are from the same freaking franchise so unless you enjoy a linear library and being limited, the PS3 wipes the floor clean. Hands down.

Well that's your opinion

Wait, it's my opinion that HALOCODGEARS are belong in the shooter genre? And Forza and PGR all belong in the shooter genre? That's an opinion?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 lostrib

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

@lostrib said:

@John_Matherson said:

Well then most are

Well that's your opinion

Wait, it's my opinion that HALOCODGEARS are belong in the shooter genre? And Forza and PGR all belong in the shooter genre? That's an opinion?

Well COD isn't exclusive. And I really hope you don't think Forza and PGR are shooters.

But it seems entirely your opinion that the PS3 "wipes the floor clean" (whatever that means)

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 John_Matherson

@Dreams-Visions said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Well yea the OP is right. It's an objective truth that over the duration of the generation, the PS3 offered more and better exclusive software.

I think the 360 started really strong. The first few years were exceptional. Then as we all know...the 360 just started to tail off. Right around when they moved their priorities to Kinect and the casual market. When Gears 1 and Halo 3 and Forza's were coming out and they appeared to have interest in their creative side with games like Kameo, Alan Wake, Chromehounds, and Fable their exclusive library looked good and felt good. But over the last 3 years or so, exclusives for the 360 became rehashes of Halo, Forza and Gears and little else. It actually made me lose interest in first party gaming on the 360. I would still pick up appropriate multiplasts on the 360, but there was no more excitement on the horizon for fresh games, IPs or ideas.

In that same period of time, the PS3 started slower and finished much, much stronger. A lot of its early exclusives flopped hard (LAIR, Heavenly Sword, etc.) or were kinda boring (Resistance). But then came the LittleBigPlanets, Ratchet & Clanks, Warhawk, GT's, KillZone 2/3, MLB The Show's, MGS4's, God of War's, and Uncharted's. Ending with games like Last of Us, GT6, and Beyond. It went from a system with mediocre games to the must-have system for exclusives.

Anyone who doesn't have a PS3 at this point needs to get one on sale to play the games they missed this generation. The gamer inside of you will thank you. As this new generation starts (or continues if you include the WiiU), my hope is that Microsoft and its One recaptures some of the magic they had in 2005-2008 when they weren't depending on 2 or 3 franchises to carry them every year...and that Sony continues to produce creative software like Tear Away and the games they've brought out over the last few years for the PS4.

Define: "objective proof."

Furthermore, do we conveniently ignore the "creative" XBLA games that have released in the same period? It's true that following the Kinect's release in the Fall of 2010 that there was a sharp dropoff of quality retail exclusives, but that doesn't showcase the entire picture when 2011 and 2012 saw a lot of high quality XBLA games.

2011 and 2012 saw a lot of high quality PSN games as well, but we're not talking about indie games and I didn't mention any in the first place. For full-featured AAA games (that is, games with huge budgets), Sony has for the last few years brought out the most unique and intriguing software. You acknowledged it and I said it. We don't disagree, so let's not try to find room to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing. I'm not in the mood for it or any other brand of intellectual dishonesty and speciousness, frankly.

Unless you have a strong inclination to play Gears of War Judgement or 3 (and not even hardcore Gears players like those games)...or Halo 4 (hardcore Halo players recognize it as the worst entry into the franchise)...or Forza Horizon (one step forward, two steps back), there was little over the last couple of years for 360 owners to get excited about. Very damn little. Instead of letting Rare develop Conker, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Banjo & Kazooie, and Kameo, they pushed them towards Kinect Sports and similar. They let Bungie simply walk away. Remedy gave the 360 one game in its entire lifetime before moving onto the One for Quantum Break. A number of other studios were closed along the way like Digital Anvil.

The 360 was held together, IMO, by the strength of multi-platform franchises and brands since the launch of Kinect. You know, the Call of Dutys, Maddens, NBA2K's, Maaaahvel's, Street Fighters, and GTA's of the gaming world. That's just the truth of it coming from someone who's been an Xbox Live gamer since the month after it came out on the O.G. Xbox. So you don't need to talk to me like I'm one of these new, lost cubs on this forum. We started posting here at GS damn near the same time. Anyone saying the last few years of 360 gaming were good days for major exclusive franchises is lying to themselves. So again, here's hoping the next few years for the One look more like the first few years for the 360, and less like the last few years of the 360. More risks, more creative titles, and the revival of more dormant IPs.

Lemmings don't realize that the 360 was the most unneeded and the most expendable platform last gen. PS3 had it's solid library that kept it's fans loyal and had something worthy to inherit from the Ps2. The Wii had the hardcore nostalgic mario and zelda peoples. The PC had well...Lostrib and these other peoples...Loyal, console hating fanboys...But the 360 only had people who enjoy XBL and it so happened to be that the only thing keeping XBL sustained was COD and HALO and GEARS which are all multiplatform franchises. 360 had Halo reach, halo 3 and halo 4, and had Gears 1 and 2, I think and also Forza and PGR. 2 racer franchises and 2 shooters. THAT'S IT.

If you had a solid entry level 500$ PC and PS3 you were golden last gen. If you had a PS3 alone you were set to go.

I said this a few months ago before the PS4 launched in this thread:This thread

"Anyway, I was making a very good point yesterday when arguing with lostrib. I had a theory that the only thing—according to you Lemmings every time we ask what makes the 360 better than the PS3—is Xbox Live.

So I concluded that Xbox Live is the only thing keeping the 360 afloat. So, I then asked what’s keeping Xbox Live afloat and the answer became clear. Bro-Games. Gears of War, Halo, CoD, Forza. All bro games that trendy gamers seem to enjoy. Fact: Xbox Live was originally built on a Bro Game (Halo 2) on the original Xbox. Us cows have wondered why the Xbox is able to get away with such a linear library, so there’s the answer.

All Xbox supporters are trendy gamers who enjoy games like Halo, Gears, and Call of Duty. Halo and Gears aren’t even exclusives anymore and neither is Forza. So take away these three games and you’ll have CoD, multiplat. But, back to my main point. The Xbox 360 appeals to the bro-gaming market and the trendy, repetition lovers who enjoy games like Halo and CoD. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I’m just establishing that the Xbox Market is pretty straight shot and clear and M$ knows who their supporters are and where to make their money."

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#207 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

Yeah, if you're going to pull stats out of your bum and state opinions as facts.I'm not going to respond to you.

Is that why you're on SW, rather than talking to yourself?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By the_bi99man

@John_Matherson said:

Are we set for another meltdown?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@John_Matherson said:

Are we set for another meltdown?

He's a really sad fanboy. He may tell us to f*ck off again, which would hurt my feeling very much.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts
Loading Video...

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 the_bi99man

@psymon100: hahaha. Perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Holy **** I missed some supreme stuff in this thread.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 the_bi99man

@seanmcloughlin: Dude, it was a good time last night. I made a really stupid joke, just because, and johnny meltdown was immediately upset and in defense mode, so I was like,

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 the_bi99man

@John_Matherson said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@John_Matherson said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@John_Matherson: The Wii was first with respect to exclusives (among the consoles), not the Xbox 360. You've yet to address the hyperbole... Is having two additional high quality games that big of a margin?

LOL FIne, let's affress your hyperbole. Want to see where the margin comes from?

Compare how many irrelevant shovelware titles the 360 has to how many solid and recognizable ones you see on the PS3. The 360's library is inflated and it's an illusion.

Did you really just copy and paste an entire Wikipedia table that includes multiplats, and non-high quality games?

I'm certainly not going to remember all the games off the top of my head.

Yeah, most of those console exclusives were pretty forgettable.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#215  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

Your tune is changing then to selectively omit titles that did bring creativity to the table. Are they triple A budgeted games? Of course not, but as a gamer, should we only care about games because they have high budgets? I'm afraid I don't ride that train of elitism nor do I plan on riding it anytime soon. If a game like Journey (Gamespot's 2012 Game of the Year) can beat out those "triple A" budgeted games then that should speak volumes about the route you're taking. Nevermind the fact that Toy Soldiers Cold War and Minecraft are some of the best damn games I've ever played on the Xbox 360--so much for being "small time." I'm not whining about the last couple of years for a console that's been around for eight years, I got more than my money's worth out of that machine. It took the PS3 a couple years for it being worth a damn so it all evened out in the end for me. If you think otherwise, that's gravy mate, but I don't feel the need to poo on an inanimate piece of plastic because it didn't have the triple A budgeted exclusives to cater to my tastes.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Mainly just how fucking awesome Sony and the PS3 is, delivering a barn bursting amount of world class, GOTY, high scoring exclusives throughout the entire life cycle of the console.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By the_bi99man

@Heil68 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Mainly just how fucking awesome Sony and the PS3 is, delivering a barn bursting amount of world class, GOTY, high scoring exclusives throughout the entire life cycle of the console.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 John_Matherson

LOL @ POLL HOLY SHITTT!!!!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Not really as the PS3 didn't have a decent exclusive games until 18 months after launch. It took awhile for the PS3 to get some exclusive games that were actually worth playing. XBox 360 had a ton of AAAE & AAE exclusive right out the gate.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#220 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

The wii had the most high rated exclusives last gen so no,lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#221 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Its all subjective if you're going to try to do this. I loved both my consoles but Halo is still my favorite series, so does that mean 360 won? No, its a business and the purpose is to move product so the Wii won, imo.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#222 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

Ps3 won in sales and games.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

whyis there multi plats on the list?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@thedork_knight said:

why is there multi plats on the list?

Because lies.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 John_Matherson

@locopatho said:

@thedork_knight said:

why is there multi plats on the list?

Because lies.

It's a metacritic list and I'm.sure everyone knows which titles are exclusives l and which aren't.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By lostrib

@supercowelitist said:

Ps3 won in sales and games.

no it didn't. It lost in sales

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#227 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Console exclusives last gen brought shame to consoles. PS3 and 360 combined cannot compete against PS1 or PS2. PC had more great exclusives than both consoles combined last gen. The only platforms that had worthwhile exclusives were DS and PSP. Now that Vita is pretty much dead, the only good exclusives I'm expecting for the coming gen will be on 3DS.