Should you preorder games? (Video)

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y

Some good points, I hate the way that pre-orders work now.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I'm actually listening to that right now :P

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 clyde46

BPoole96
What do you think?
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
The only game I preordered this gen was Fable II
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I think the last time I pre-ordered a game was Halo: Reach.

It's just not worth the risk anymore, and you don't often get anything of substance for your trouble. 

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

O dun't.

---

((I don't.))

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46

O dun't.

---

((I don't.))

Goyoshi12
God damn, thats a pretty sucky bet you got there :lol:
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

clyde46
What do you think?

I'm only halfway through. I'll give my thoughts once I hear the whole thing
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Pre-orders used to be a good way for a store to know how many to carry, so you could get one.

Now that's not the case, and all these useless pre-order bonus's are beyond stupid.  So many different "Edition's" with an extra gun or skin or something.

Anarchy edition, ultimate bad ass edition, super bananna fudge edtion, super sonic edition, hunter edition, all star edition... man it's ridiculous.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

O dun't.

---

((I don't.))

clyde46

Yieh, O'm bigonnong tu rigrit ot elriedy...

-----------------

((Yeah, I'm beginning to regret it already...))

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I used to pre-order games I really wanted so when the time came, I could just relax and let it arrive or download it. Pay once and forget. 

But now I rarely do it a long time in advance. I will usually just do it 2 weeks before release now. 

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Ive never made a pre-order (one that I followed through with) in my life. 

The only time I make them is when I buy a bunch of games, and they tell me if I drop 5 on a preorder, I get a discount, etc.

I just walk in and buy a game when it comes out.   

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46
I personally think with the lack of demo's and review restrictions sucks.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

O dun't.

---

((I don't.))

Goyoshi12

-----------------

To make it really effective you probably shouldn´t translate tho,that kind of defeats the purpose. :P

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

The only time I preorder is in situations where getting it day 1 will actually be difficult without doing it.

Wrath of the Lich King was my last preordered game, and there were hundreds of people at pretty much every story selling it at midnight :P

But games like Tomb Raider, Aliens, Dead Space (what I've seen in this youtube video) there's just no point.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Only game I preorder this gen was Black Ops 2 for my daughter. I never preorder games normally.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] God damn, thats a pretty sucky bet you got there :lol:Arach666

-----------------

To make it really effective you probably shouldn´t translate tho,that kind of defeats the purpose. :P

Thet's jast crail, men, ispicoelly eftir wrotong thos pust:

O dun't ceri. My pley tomis very fer uff frum uthir piupli's pley tomis (Purtel 2 10-20 huars? O hevi 40 luggid ontu ot) end cumi un, whet os ot woth piupli end thos minteloty uf unci yua'vi pleyid threagh ot thet's ot end thiri os nu riesun tu gu thruagh ot egeon? Of thi 5 huars eri ixtrimily fan end anjuyebli O'll ritarn tu thi gemi maltopli tomis ivin thuagh ot's jast e streoght furwerd nerretovi woth lottli oncintovi fur ripleyebloty on thi stury mudi (sii Bettlifoild: Bed Cumpeny 2 fur mi, elthuagh thet's elsu biceasi O cen't eciss thi multopleyir bat w/i).

Jast biceosi thiri's nu riasun tu gu beck end pley thruagh e gemi duisn't mien yua CEN'T gu beck end injuy ot e sicund tomi. Yua g(a)ys gash uvir Spic Ups: Thi Loni bat os thiri enythong on thi stury mudi uatsodi  uf thi meon nerretovi (sumithong loki chuoci systims ele Mess Iffict, Wotchir, su un end su furth whiri yua cuald chuusi doeluagi end chengi  thi uatcumi)? Yit jast  biceasi yua pleyid thruagh ot unci duisn't mien e lut uf yua pleyid ot thruagh thet uni tomi end thet wes ot, why shuald Crysos 3 bi eny doffirint? Elsu, nu mettir whet ot duis hevi multopleyir end whithir thet's e guud thong ur e bed thong ot's stoll thiri end os oncintovi tu c(un)tonai tu pley thi gemi.

Guyusho12

--------------------------

((That's just cruel, man, especially after writing this post: ))

((I don't care. My play times vary far off from other people's play times (Portal 2 10-20 hours? I have 40 logged into it) and come on, what is it with people and this mentality of once you've played through it that's it and there is no reason to go through it again? If the 5 hours are extremely fun and enjoyable I'll return to the game multiple times even though it's just a straight forward narrative with little incentive for replayablity in the story mode (see Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for me, although that's also because I can't acess the multiplayer but w/e).

Just because there's no reason to go back and play through a game doesn't mean you CAN'T go back and enjoy it a second time. You guys gush over Spec Ops: The Line but is there anything in the story mode outside of the main narrative (something like choice systems ala Mass Effect, Witcher, so on and so forth where you could choose dialouge and change the outcome)? Yet just because you played through it once doesn't mean a lot of you played it through that one time and that was it, why should Crysis 3 be any different? Also, no matter what it does have multiplayer and whether that's a good thing or a bad thing it's still there and is incentive to continue to play the game.))

Goyoshi12

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Preordering games is pointless. Unless its something you know will be really limited in supply (but even then, i preordered ni no kuni at 3 different places and still didn't get a copy)
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
Just for CE editions.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#20 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Whose video is it?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BPoole96

One point I think TB should have addressed is the fact that early adopters often get screwed by having the game early. Look at how many games this gen release with numerous amount of bugs in them. The early adopters buy the game for $60, get a buggy as version and bear with it for the entirety of the game. Two months later, the devs release a patch that makes the game playable. At this point, there are thousands of used copies floating around that could be had for nearly half the price. Those consumers not only pay less, but they also get a better experience with the game.

The only way I will pre order a game is if pre ordered it gives me something that is worth it, ie money. I recently had pre purchased the new DMC game off of GMG for $37, and that also came with the costume pack. I had played the demo and enjoyed it and the trailers looked interesting enough that I was confident in my purchase, so I bought it.

But when we have games like Fallout New Vegas for consoles or Rage for AMD PC users that are literally unplayable upon release and have game bugs that may potentially erase your entire saved data, it raises a pretty good point against why pre ordering a game is dumb.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Goyoshi12

Whose video is it?

-Unreal-

Nubudy yua knuw uf. Why dun't yua clock un ot?

------------

((Nobdoy you know of. Why don't you click on it?))

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BPoole96

Oh and review embargoes are horsesh!t and should be banned from the industry (and all industries for that matter). No more of this trash where you cant' see reviews until the day that the game releases. Publishers should not be able to restrict reviews within 48 hours of the game's release.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96

Whose video is it?

-Unreal-
Don't worry, it's not TotalBiscuit
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's called, getting something first.

If you don't, no biggie, but some people like to get their games day 1.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

I only pre order games that I'm really hyped for, from established developers which have had games that I've enjoyed. Never been wronged on this.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Damn... sterling said they specifically made a press demo to fool the press... wtf?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#28 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Established: stupid people shouldn't pre-order games.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkLink77

Oh and review embargoes are horsesh!t and should be banned from the industry (and all industries for that matter). No more of this trash where you cant' see reviews until the day that the game releases. Publishers should not be able to restrict reviews within 48 hours of the game's release.

BPoole96
To an extent, they're okay. But I agree, they should all end at least 48 hours before release so people aren't going in blind.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
It's just not worth the risk anymore,DarkLink77
What risk?

At Gamestop put $5 on a game. If game sucks change the $5 to a new game or get it back. It is actually 0 risk plus you usually get some DLC item or content. Most are dumb but every now and then they are pretty neat.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GD1551

BPoole96

I already said that game devs should be forced to provide accurate demos of the game before release. Not optional, mandatory.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]It's just not worth the risk anymore,CajunShooter
What risk?

At Gamestop put $5 on a game. If game sucks change the $5 to a new game or get it back. It is actually 0 risk plus you usually get some DLC item or content. Most are dumb but every now and then they are pretty neat.

This isn't so much Gamestop as other places where you can't recall your pre-order once launch day arrives. Amazon, Steam etc.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Whose video is it?

BPoole96

Yet you referred to the video's author previously as TB. I have a strong feeling you're lying now. I'll pass on watching Captain Obvious/TotalFattyButt's videos. The things he discusses seem to be very obvious and unermarkable to make a video about especially for someone with as many people hanging on his opinion as if he's a shining beakon of industry insight.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clyde46
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Whose video is it?

-Unreal-

Yet you referred to the video's author previously as TB. I have a strong feeling you're lying now. I'll pass on watching Captain Obvious/TotalFattyButt's videos. The things he discusses seem to be very obvious and unermarkable to make a video about especially for someone with as many people hanging on his opinion as if he's a shining beakon of industry insight.

Someone's mad.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I only pre-order to get games on day one, I don't give a rats butt about bonusses. Those bonusses are always useless.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BPoole96

Whose video is it?

-Unreal-

I know, I just said that because I know you don't like him since he disses WoW
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Goyoshi12

Whose video is it?

-Unreal-

Nu iviryuni whi hes thi ecrunym TB is TutelBoscat.

--------------

((Not everyone who has the acronym TB is TotalBiscut.))

gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

Videos a tad long and I need sleep so I'll watch later but going through this thread I can understand most of the reasons why preodering may not be the best idea (asides from the fact that currently I'm getting all my games used due to not having a surfiet of money).

Only time I preordered a game I can remember was Skyward sword, and that was entirely so I could get the symphony of the goddess/zelda orchestrated CD. Otherwise I almost certainly wouldn't have.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

GD1551

I already said that game devs should be forced to provide accurate demos of the game before release. Not optional, mandatory.

Yep, but now we've got that guy Jesse Schill or whatever his name is saying that demos yield lower sales, so now I'd guess we will see even less demos than we already do.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Good link thanks Clyde. 

Pre ordering is usually not a good move. 

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

I only preorder physical copies at Gamestop. 

It kind of acts like a layaway thing for me or if I just want to pay it and get it out of the way before it releases. I often get extra money every now and then so it just depends. The only way I would preorder online would be if it was for a CE or something like I did Final Fantasy XIII-2, which was worth it imo

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I never pre-order, what's the point?

I buy most of my games discounted, and by the time prices drop to my comfort zone, potential bugs and other issues are fixed, and sometimes, I even end up waiting for a "GOTY edition" in DLC-heavy games.

harsh_rocko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 harsh_rocko
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

DLC has destroyed pre-ordering games for me. Why pay full price for a game at launch when you can wait 6 months to a year and pay around half the price for the Game of the Year Edition. Last game I pre-ordered was Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and it came with a free memory card and LoZ: OOT bonus disc. Too much fluff with pre-ordering now.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

DLC has destroyed pre-ordering games for me. Why pay full price for a game at launch when you can wait 6 months to a year and pay around half the price for the Game of the Year Edition. Last game I pre-ordered was Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and it came with a free memory card and LoZ: OOT bonus disc. Too much fluff with pre-ordering now.

harsh_rocko

Not that many games that get a GOTY edition.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Yep, but now we've got that guy Jesse Schill or whatever his name is saying that demos yield lower sales, so now I'd guess we will see even less demos than we already do.

Yeah, honestly the gaming industry is so anti-consumer already and it's only getting worse. Why can't we sample before we buy? Because their game might be sh!t and they want to sucker people in? Screw that imo, gamers need to put their feet down here. Generally I think gamers have entitlement issues because they demand unrealistic things from developers. The irony is that in the face of such anti-consumerism they simply accept it. We are our own worst enemy in this regard.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Last few games I pre-ordered were: Torchlight 2 Pokemon White 2 Xenoblade I knew Torchlight 2 was sex already, so I had no problem, I also wanted to pre-load the game (though now I think about it, I could've waited) Pokemon is Pokemon. And it's a direct sequel to BW which I have played and loved. I already knew all the changes being made and how they work by following closely on Serebii's report on the Japanese version. Also I had to ship it overseas, so it was better for me to pre-order and have it arrive as soon as possible anyway. Xenoblade was also released in Japan a long time ago, people I know played it and enjoyed it and told me about it before the game was even confirmed for NA release, and I pretty much knew the game would go extremely rare unless I buy it as soon as possible. So yeah, pre-orders aren't all that bad. Though I do agree on most things TB said.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I only pre order if i really want a game and that's if on amazon so it be on door step day one. Either way i hate the dlc/exclusive dlc is a complete joke.

Now i have pre order 2 games so far online for PC because i got them super cheap for day one that i really wanted. example sleeping dogs i loved the way that game looked. It' was $45 on PC like 99% of games for pre order, then i had a 35% code to tack on which dropped it to $30, then few bucks on my account so it i think i pay like $27 for sleeping dogs on release lol.

If a game doesn't have great scores but, looks cool and interesting, A: i wait for it be heavily discount on PC or i get it for console from amazon because I WILL RETURN THAT CRAP in a heart beat.

Something games really need to change is return policy, i understand it need be strict but something needs be done.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

long video, BUT he had a STRONG POINT that everyone should watch

Whats the most disturbing part of this video is the aliens marines game twitter comment he showed. dude Was talking about how the demo that they showed the the press wasn't even in the game... yet the demo was better then the entire game...

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Pre-Ordered:

Halo 4

Alan Wake

Guild Wars 2

Torchlight 2

And I will be paying $25 to back Wasteland 2

These are games I was near certain I would enjoy 

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Don't worry, it's not TotalBiscuitclyde46

Someone's mad.

He can't handle that someone doesn't like WoW