Should Valve Software get into the bribing business?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

While Valve Software is happily delaying Half-Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3, developers such as From Software, Rockstar North, Platinum Games, Kojima Productions, etc. are working against PC gaming.

If you ask me, I wouldn't mind if Gabe Newell continues these delays, so long as they're for the right reasons, and that I think Valve is the only PC-related company who has the resources to bribe at least one of these developers.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

While Valve Software is happily delaying Half-Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3, developers such as From Software, Rockstar North, Platinum Games, Kojima Productions, etc. are working against PC gaming.

If you ask me, I wouldn't mind if Gabe Newell continues these delays, so long as they're for the right reasons, and that I think Valve is the only PC-related company who has the resources to bribe at least one of these developers.

flashn00b

I agree with this whole heartily. It would be nice to see Valve start throwing their weight around like Microsoft and Sony do. Perhaps grab a couple of big developers to start making PC only games for steam. Could you imagine the look on cows faces if Valve reaches an exclusive deal with Naughty Dog, Or the look on lemmings faces if Valve snags up Epic or Bethesda.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Valve doesn´t own PC gaming,they don´t have to "bribe" anyone.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
As a PC gamer, I say Nope. If these developers and publishers don't want to release games on PC, then let them be. Bribing isn't fair at all to other developers and smaller publishers. I really hate when first party console publishers bribe out devs/pubs in order to give some exclusives to their machines, I would be a hypocritic if I said I would approve it on PC.
vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vtoshkatur

Arach666

Yes, but they do have alot of weight into PC gaming. Valve is very much in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft and trust Sony and Microsoft lose sleep over Valve.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

vtoshkatur

Yes, but they do have alot of weight into PC gaming. Valve is very much in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft and trust Sony and Microsoft lose sleep over Valve.

But they're not a first party ;) Want money and influence like that? Switch to consoles.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

No, because it's actually a terrific company that makes great games and the scores it gets from it's games are scores that they EARNED without bribing anyone. If they started bribing I'd quit and uninstall Steam in an instant.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vtoshkatur

[QUOTE="vtoshkatur"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Ravensmash

But they're not a first party ;) Want money and influence like that? Switch to consoles.

Valve is a multi billion dollar company. You have no idea what your talking about peasant. Go back to playing with your "toy"

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

I agree with this whole heartily. It would be nice to see Valve start throwing their weight around like Microsoft and Sony do. Perhaps grab a couple of big developers to start making PC only games for steam. Could you imagine the look on cows faces if Valve reaches an exclusive deal with Naughty Dog, Or the look on lemmings faces if Valve snags up Epic or Bethesda.

vtoshkatur

Naughty Dog is a first-party studio owned by Sony, so that could literally never happen.

As for Epic and Bethesda, they're third-party, so it wouldn't really be a big deal to lems. Especially Bethesda, because to my knowledge, they've never made an exclusive for the 360.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="vtoshkatur"]

vtoshkatur

Valve is a multi billion dollar company. You have no idea what your talking about peasant. Go back to playing with your "toy"

Do grow up mate - I may have been hyperbolic but what I said was factual. Valve aren't going to buy anything for you.
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 flashn00b

Especially Bethesda, because to my knowledge, they've never made an exclusive for the 360.

Tikeio

I think the only "exclsuve" thing they've done was early releases for DLC on the Xbox 360 since Fallout 3 (PC also got early DLC releases since the devs used to be a Games for Windows - LIVE partner)

Also, to my knowledge, Skyrim would get special treatment on the PC due to an upcoming Steam Workshop update that would coincide with the Creation Kit.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vtoshkatur

[QUOTE="vtoshkatur"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] But they're not a first party ;) Want money and influence like that? Switch to consoles.Ravensmash

Do grow up mate - I may have been hyperbolic but what I said was factual. Valve aren't going to buy anything for you.

:lol:

The dude that plays with toys is telling me to grow up!!

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ravensmash

vtoshkatur

The dude who plays with more expensive toys is being moronic. Seriously? Why the f*ck would Valve buy developers at the present moment?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
You are mistaken Valve doesn't control PC gaming nor are they the face of PC gaming.
vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vtoshkatur

[QUOTE="vtoshkatur"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Do grow up mate - I may have been hyperbolic but what I said was factual. Valve aren't going to buy anything for you.Ravensmash

The dude who plays with more expensive toys is being moronic. Seriously? Why the f*ck would Valve buy developers at the present moment?

LOL, seriously if you think the PC is a toy you are very naive.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vtoshkatur

You are mistaken Valve doesn't control PC gaming nor are they the face of PC gaming.lawlessx

But you can't deny how much weight in PC gaming Valve does hold.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravensmash

vtoshkatur

How is a differing platform to play games (games) any less of a toy than the other?
vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vtoshkatur

[QUOTE="vtoshkatur"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] The dude who plays with more expensive toys is being moronic. Seriously? Why the f*ck would Valve buy developers at the present moment?Ravensmash

How is a differing platform to play games (games) any less of a toy than the other?

Because gaming is a hobby for me. On a computer I can get my work done and it's a great tool for handling ones small business. I can also do research on, it run a website and many many other things that cannot be done on a console. A console is more of a toy and a PC is more of a tool.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ravensmash

vtoshkatur

Because gaming is a hobby for me. On a computer I can get my work done and it's a great tool for handling ones small business. I can also do research on, it run a website and many many other things that cannot be done on a console. A console is more of a toy and a PC is more of a tool.

But that's merely respective of the software used - when you're using it for gaming, it is as much of a toy as a console.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Bribe them to do what? Lose millions of dollars in profit by going PC exclusive instead of multiplat? That would be one hell of a bribe.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

That would cost a lot of money, and they would have to think it would migrate enough people to start using steam to make up for all that money they paid the developer, so I don't think it would happen.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 flashn00b

Bribe them to do what? Lose millions of dollars in profit by going PC exclusive instead of multiplat? That would be one hell of a bribe.meetroid8

Actually, I was thinking that they could pay money to bring a multiplat that has no PC version onto the PC.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Bribe them to do what? Lose millions of dollars in profit by going PC exclusive instead of multiplat? That would be one hell of a bribe.flashn00b

Actually, I was thinking that they could pay money to bring a multiplat that has no PC version onto the PC.

That makes much more sense. But I'm not sure what Valve would get out of it. Commission perhaps?
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flashn00b

[QUOTE="flashn00b"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Bribe them to do what? Lose millions of dollars in profit by going PC exclusive instead of multiplat? That would be one hell of a bribe.meetroid8

That makes much more sense. But I'm not sure what Valve would get out of it. Commission perhaps?

I think that Valve would get the satisfaction of being able to put off Episode 3 for a few more years.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="flashn00b"]

flashn00b

I think that Valve would get the satisfaction of being able to put off Episode 3 for a few more years.

Are you sure they actually need any more excuses to not release it? They seem to be doing pretty well as is.
farslip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 farslip
Member since 2006 • 317 Posts

How are the companies you listed working against PC gaming? Cause they don't release their games on the PC?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

flashn00b
How is developing games for consoles "working against PC gaming"? They're not actively engaged against the platform....
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
Valve doesn't own the PC platform. What's with all the people thinking that Steam for PC is like PSN for PS3 or XBL for X360? o.O
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 flashn00b

Valve doesn't own the PC platform. What's with all the people thinking that Steam for PC is like PSN for PS3 or XBL for X360? o.Ostarjet905

I dunno, but I personally think that they could at least give PC gaming a hand while they're delaying their game.

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

If Valve wanted to get some exclusive games for it's service, they could very easily do it. Hell, they don't even have to buy a game from another company: they could easily make Half-Life 3 a PC and Steam exclusive and force the tens of millions that have already bought a Half-Life game onto the platform.

But that's not the Valve ethos. Gabe Newell has said many times that he wants everyone to be able to enjoy games and that he doesn't like closed platforms. He really is that much of a nice guy and that's why people love Valve.