Should Valve invest in console games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

With Valve introducing a Linux-based home console, I can't help that it'll be a disaster waiting to happen, seeing that Linux has next to no games outside Valve titles.

Because of this, I can't shake off the notion that Valve should invest money to bring titles that you'd normally expect in a console to be released for home computers, and for some games that are simply unplayable with a keyboard and mouse, perhaps it wouldn't be a lie to say that the Steam Machine would be the optimal way to play those games?

At the same time though, the only thing that the home console has that computers don't are Grand Theft Auto V, Destiny, and almost every Japanese game that isn't 18+

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

My friend, you are thinking of steam in terms of consoles with big shitty hyped games. Unlike consoles, small indie games can sell millions on the pc.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@flashn00b said:

With Valve introducing a Linux-based home console, I can't help that it'll be a disaster waiting to happen, seeing that Linux has next to no games outside Valve titles.

Because of this, I can't shake off the notion that Valve should invest money to bring titles that you'd normally expect in a console to be released for home computers, and for some games that are simply unplayable with a keyboard and mouse, perhaps it wouldn't be a lie to say that the Steam Machine would be the optimal way to play those games?

At the same time though, the only thing that the home console has that computers don't are Grand Theft Auto V, Destiny, and almost every Japanese game that isn't 18+

It's because consoles don't need things like Steam to sell well. Honestly console games sell a lot better over all than PC games bit a good amount. PC needs things like Valve and other things to sell well. While valve is doing a great job it really wouldn't be allowed to throw those deals in the console digital market that way because they don't need it to sell the games.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Why they should ? Steam indies outsell console AAA big budget exclusives: the early access to Starbound sold over 1M in a month time, and the alpha version of DayZ sold 875K in only three weeks.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

@Motokid6: Yes, and in order to market Linux as a viable gaming platform, it needs something other than Valve titles. Hence why I suggest that it should have GTAV, Destiny, Kingdom Hearts 3, and/or Tales of Xillia 2.

@jhonMalcovich: DayZ is a Windows only game. :x