Should Sony try to resurrect the SOCOM series (again)?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Back in the day, this series was a classic on the PS2, one of the godfathers of console online gaming. Community was great and you actually needed skillz (I spelled it with a z for emphasis). Granted, the PS3 failed to bring back the series, but given that the market still doesn't have an adequate 3rd person shooter, should Sony try once more?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The dev is already doing that, I think it's called H-Hour

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Are any of those games even good?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

In the hands of the right dev it could be really good i reckon. I don't think Sony see the money in it though and i'd rather they work on new IP instead. 3rd person shooters are always a bit meh to me.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

I think its time has passed, confrontation and socom 4 just killed the series to me, games like this have a very very specific formula and when you change that formula its hard to go back to it, most of what made those games great would be considered glitchy and buggy nowadays. I miss the series....:(

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Back in the day, this series was a classic on the PS2, one of the godfathers of console online gaming. Community was great and you actually needed skillz (I spelled it with a z for emphasis). Granted, the PS3 failed to bring back the series, but given that the market still doesn't have an adequate 3rd person shooter, should Sony try once more?

I never played the games myself, but I did just check them out on youtube. Doesn't seem to be particularly unique--looks like a typical third person shooter. I don't get where you're getting the idea that the market doesn't have adequate third person shooters; just about every game made nowadays has third person shooting. If you mean, does the market need a tactical third person shooter....then, I'd say the game doesn't look remotely tactical (if we're using games like Swat 4, Ravenshield as examples).

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I remember my friends use to use forums to organize matches. Before Xbox Live, Socom use to have an active community on the PS2. I think Xbox Live killed Socom, I also think the PS3 and PSN killed any chance of a reboot. I think Socom already missed the chance for any sort of reboot especially when theres already a standard other shooter games has set that Socom can never reach.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spitfire-Six

@cfisher2833 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I never played the games myself, but I did just check them out on youtube. Doesn't seem to be particularly unique--looks like a typical third person shooter. I don't get where you're getting the idea that the market doesn't have adequate third person shooters; just about every game made nowadays has third person shooting. If you mean, does the market need a tactical third person shooter....then, I'd say the game doesn't look remotely tactical (if we're using games like Swat 4, Ravenshield as examples).

There is the first mistake. What made this game unique is that it was objective based, and round based. There was a respawn mode but most people played no respawn. Camping was also just part of a game and wasn't some big issue like it is today. If you don't know the fun of being a SEAL on desert glory successfully flash bang and releasing the hostages and making them travel to the extract point its something that only this game has ever delivered. This game was pretty tactical when you played with an actual team. I remember actually using room clearing, break contact, bound overwatch and etc. (before I joined the military) Im just saying your on the outside looking in on this one.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

Sure! Why the hell not? That would be great.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: honestly.... No.

I'm tired of shooters. I'm already bored with Titanfall. I haven't played it since the first week it launched.

I wouldn't mind some sort of SOCOM spin-off, but not a FPS. Maybe a RTS of some sort.

I want new games in new genres.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I remember really liking the single player experiences in SOCOM 1-3. I was shocked to see probably the most generic third person shooter of all time with SOCOM 4.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

H-Hour looks pretty awful but the nostalgia heads are all over it as a proper SOCOM 2 successor

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

It's called H-Hour, but it's not something Sony is making (considering they closed down the Socom studio).

It'll be on PC and PS4

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think they should for VR. Squad based gameplay would be great for VR I think.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Let it die. It's not a franchise that really deserves a reboot.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If they could make it like Socom 1 and 2, hell yeah.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58851 Posts

Try arma. It's like Socum for men who use mouse and keyboard. Really superior. Very big.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Socom rocked, it was the first online game I played. Call of Duty and Battlefield killed it though.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

of course

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Don't care about the name SOCOM, but would love to see a proper tactical shooter as an exclusive for PS4. It can be revived SOCOM, or it can take on a new IP.

So long as they do it right. SOCOM 4 was actually a really solidly done 3rd person shooter. But it failed miserably at the "tactical" side.

If they do bring it back, needs to have much larger, open ended mission structure, proper squad commands, open world vehicles, etc. Basically a dumbed down ARMA or Operation Flashpoint for consoles. Meet at a halfway point between those games, and the current run of the mill shooters.

I love the idea of going even bigger and letting you have RTS commands on top of the TPS, but that is probably asking way, way too much.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

SOCOM sucked on the PS3. They need to let that series die. They should bring back the other steath game that was on the PS1/PS2. Can't think of the name of it at the top of head. You played a spy who had to infilitrate places though. SOCOM started following apart on the PS2.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spitfire-Six

@uninspiredcup said:

Try arma. It's like Socum for men who use mouse and keyboard. Really superior. Very big.

If you like buggy games that crash frequently and it takes you 20 mins to fly to an operational area only to be killed my terminator AI. Yea its exactly the same.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

The only Socom game I liked was the Tactical one for PSP. What they did was innovation on a now boring genre.

Rayne718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rayne718
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

It's already being resurrected, it's called H-Hour for PC and PS4 and it's being created by David Sears who worked on the original games socom 1 and 2. Should be coming out sometime in 2015 / 2016.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

I'd like to see Socom return if the direction is similar to that of Socom- Combined assault and nothing remotely like Socom 4 or Confrontation which were the absolute pants of the series.

And no...H-hour doesn't count. We want open levels with the ability to tackle objectives any way we feel.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I rather they make MAG 2 than Socom 5

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@spitfire-six said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

There is the first mistake. What made this game unique is that it was objective based, and round based. There was a respawn mode but most people played no respawn. Camping was also just part of a game and wasn't some big issue like it is today. If you don't know the fun of being a SEAL on desert glory successfully flash bang and releasing the hostages and making them travel to the extract point its something that only this game has ever delivered. This game was pretty tactical when you played with an actual team. I remember actually using room clearing, break contact, bound overwatch and etc. (before I joined the military) Im just saying your on the outside looking in on this one.

that isnt anything new. plenty of games did that

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@spitfire-six said:

@uninspiredcup said:

If you like buggy games that crash frequently and it takes you 20 mins to fly to an operational area only to be killed my terminator AI. Yea its exactly the same.

My freind, the AI is designed for pc gamers. It must be good. The many keyboard buttons (that allow for sophisticated game play) allow the player to simply speed time up. It's very much a thinking mans game for people who had high grades at school.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

@uninspiredcup said:

What about Insurgency?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

What about Insurgency?

Good game until you realize most people playing are located in Afghanistan.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Spitfire-Six

@uninspiredcup: There is a difference between good AI and AI that can triangulate your position based on one suppressed shot. I have enough tactical experience to know how to approach and objective and how to execute a raid. Does not matter when the AI can see through walls. Its sad that you have to mod the game to make the AI behave accurately.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

lmao

no they should not

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@blackace said:

SOCOM sucked on the PS3. They need to let that series die. They should bring back the other steath game that was on the PS1/PS2. Can't think of the name of it at the top of head. You played a spy who had to infilitrate places though. SOCOM started following apart on the PS2.

Is the game your thinking of called Syphon Filter? If so, I agree 1000000000%

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#34 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I'd say no. There enough shooters and just let Socom rest in peace. Let's not have another Medal of Honor and painfully drag it out

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

I loved SOCUM on my PS2...

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Are any of those games even good?

Socom Confrontation was easily my most played game of last gen. It's definitely not for everyone however it's an itch I so desperately hope I get to scratch this gen.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@quatoe: syphon filter was baws

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

I am a kickstarter backer for H-Hour. the problem with the game is that it looks like a indie game which it is. Indie games are low quality games.

Sony killed socom. I am a sony supporter but i will always hold this small hate towards them for not backing the franchise.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@CrownKingArthur: That was the game that got me into stealth oriented titles, such a fun game series.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@W1NGMAN-: I was really into that game also, too bad it just never got to where it needed to be

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Omega-316 said:

I am a kickstarter backer for H-Hour. the problem with the game is that it looks like a indie game which it is. Indie games are low quality games.

Sony killed socom. I am a sony supporter but i will always hold this small hate towards them for not backing the franchise.

What? Indie games are not low quality games. Look at star citizen - It too is a kickstarter backed indie game and it looks to blow everything out of the water.

The problem with H-Hour is that it looks like they have contracted some of the bottom tier developers and programmers. They probably have a lot of first time game developers on the team.. Just because it's an indie game doesn't mean it has to be low quality. It's very unlikely the graphics will hold up but the gameplay still could

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Couth_: that post chain says it all. "this is indie", no, this is "indie" gaming. This is exactly how films experienced the break through.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

Still searching for that feeling that Socom 1 and 2 gave me. Best online multi so far for me.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

They need to put time into Jet Moto.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

You need money to resurrect things. Sony cant even afford to make an appearance at PAX East along with Nintendo.

Loading Video...

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#46 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

no we have enough shooters already , and the only shooter i think that needs to be remade and remade right this time none of that cod garbage is goldeneye!

Jury15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jury15
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Here is an update on the progress of H-Hour, they rebuilt the first map (sismus) in Unreal Engine 4. Got some comparison screens and flyby video of the church.

Loading Video...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@Netherscourge said:

@SolidGame_basic: honestly.... No.

I'm tired of shooters. I'm already bored with Titanfall. I haven't played it since the first week it launched.

I wouldn't mind some sort of SOCOM spin-off, but not a FPS. Maybe a RTS of some sort.

I want new games in new genres.

Titanfall? lol.... Yes, lets compare a FPS with bots and robots to a tactical TPS one life shall we.

SOCOM is a TPS by the way. It does have a zoomed FPV, but is primarily TP. Just like H-Hour. That type of gameplay hasn't been around in over 10 years.

@JangoWuzHere said:

I remember really liking the single player experiences in SOCOM 1-3. I was shocked to see probably the most generic third person shooter of all time with SOCOM 4.

Agreed... S4 was a joke and not even considered to be a true SOCOM game by most of the community. SONY said not all that long ago that the SOCOM franchise will continue. H-Hour is a new game based on that clutch gameplay in S1 and S2.

@f50p90 said:

H-Hour looks pretty awful but the nostalgia heads are all over it as a proper SOCOM 2 successor

A game in early Alpha state looks awful? Have you seen the video reworked in UE4 of the church... or listened to the soundtracks? Here is a recent video in case you have not seen it. Looks GREAT to me especially being so early and having JUST changed to a new engine:

Loading Video...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lostrib

Don't bump old shit