Should Sony try to resurrect the SOCOM series (again)?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17700 posts) -

Back in the day, this series was a classic on the PS2, one of the godfathers of console online gaming. Community was great and you actually needed skillz (I spelled it with a z for emphasis). Granted, the PS3 failed to bring back the series, but given that the market still doesn't have an adequate 3rd person shooter, should Sony try once more?

#2 Posted by lostrib (36974 posts) -

The dev is already doing that, I think it's called H-Hour

#3 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3574 posts) -

Are any of those games even good?

#4 Posted by hoosier7 (3823 posts) -

In the hands of the right dev it could be really good i reckon. I don't think Sony see the money in it though and i'd rather they work on new IP instead. 3rd person shooters are always a bit meh to me.

#5 Posted by Spitfire-Six (517 posts) -

I think its time has passed, confrontation and socom 4 just killed the series to me, games like this have a very very specific formula and when you change that formula its hard to go back to it, most of what made those games great would be considered glitchy and buggy nowadays. I miss the series....:(

#6 Edited by cfisher2833 (1692 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Back in the day, this series was a classic on the PS2, one of the godfathers of console online gaming. Community was great and you actually needed skillz (I spelled it with a z for emphasis). Granted, the PS3 failed to bring back the series, but given that the market still doesn't have an adequate 3rd person shooter, should Sony try once more?

I never played the games myself, but I did just check them out on youtube. Doesn't seem to be particularly unique--looks like a typical third person shooter. I don't get where you're getting the idea that the market doesn't have adequate third person shooters; just about every game made nowadays has third person shooting. If you mean, does the market need a tactical third person shooter....then, I'd say the game doesn't look remotely tactical (if we're using games like Swat 4, Ravenshield as examples).

#7 Posted by gago-gago (9484 posts) -

I remember my friends use to use forums to organize matches. Before Xbox Live, Socom use to have an active community on the PS2. I think Xbox Live killed Socom, I also think the PS3 and PSN killed any chance of a reboot. I think Socom already missed the chance for any sort of reboot especially when theres already a standard other shooter games has set that Socom can never reach.

#8 Posted by Spitfire-Six (517 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I never played the games myself, but I did just check them out on youtube. Doesn't seem to be particularly unique--looks like a typical third person shooter. I don't get where you're getting the idea that the market doesn't have adequate third person shooters; just about every game made nowadays has third person shooting. If you mean, does the market need a tactical third person shooter....then, I'd say the game doesn't look remotely tactical (if we're using games like Swat 4, Ravenshield as examples).

There is the first mistake. What made this game unique is that it was objective based, and round based. There was a respawn mode but most people played no respawn. Camping was also just part of a game and wasn't some big issue like it is today. If you don't know the fun of being a SEAL on desert glory successfully flash bang and releasing the hostages and making them travel to the extract point its something that only this game has ever delivered. This game was pretty tactical when you played with an actual team. I remember actually using room clearing, break contact, bound overwatch and etc. (before I joined the military) Im just saying your on the outside looking in on this one.

#9 Posted by Comduter (2174 posts) -

Sure! Why the hell not? That would be great.

#10 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: honestly.... No.

I'm tired of shooters. I'm already bored with Titanfall. I haven't played it since the first week it launched.

I wouldn't mind some sort of SOCOM spin-off, but not a FPS. Maybe a RTS of some sort.

I want new games in new genres.

#11 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16424 posts) -

I remember really liking the single player experiences in SOCOM 1-3. I was shocked to see probably the most generic third person shooter of all time with SOCOM 4.

#12 Edited by f50p90 (3765 posts) -

H-Hour looks pretty awful but the nostalgia heads are all over it as a proper SOCOM 2 successor

#13 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

It's called H-Hour, but it's not something Sony is making (considering they closed down the Socom studio).

It'll be on PC and PS4

#14 Posted by Shewgenja (9274 posts) -

I think they should for VR. Squad based gameplay would be great for VR I think.

#15 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9477 posts) -

Let it die. It's not a franchise that really deserves a reboot.

#16 Posted by Ballroompirate (22906 posts) -

If they could make it like Socom 1 and 2, hell yeah.

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (8634 posts) -

Try arma. It's like Socum for men who use mouse and keyboard. Really superior. Very big.

#18 Posted by CWEBB04z (4579 posts) -

Socom rocked, it was the first online game I played. Call of Duty and Battlefield killed it though.

#19 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

of course

#20 Posted by 2Chalupas (5114 posts) -

Don't care about the name SOCOM, but would love to see a proper tactical shooter as an exclusive for PS4. It can be revived SOCOM, or it can take on a new IP.

So long as they do it right. SOCOM 4 was actually a really solidly done 3rd person shooter. But it failed miserably at the "tactical" side.

If they do bring it back, needs to have much larger, open ended mission structure, proper squad commands, open world vehicles, etc. Basically a dumbed down ARMA or Operation Flashpoint for consoles. Meet at a halfway point between those games, and the current run of the mill shooters.

I love the idea of going even bigger and letting you have RTS commands on top of the TPS, but that is probably asking way, way too much.

#21 Posted by blackace (20743 posts) -

SOCOM sucked on the PS3. They need to let that series die. They should bring back the other steath game that was on the PS1/PS2. Can't think of the name of it at the top of head. You played a spy who had to infilitrate places though. SOCOM started following apart on the PS2.

#22 Posted by Spitfire-Six (517 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Try arma. It's like Socum for men who use mouse and keyboard. Really superior. Very big.

If you like buggy games that crash frequently and it takes you 20 mins to fly to an operational area only to be killed my terminator AI. Yea its exactly the same.

#23 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

The only Socom game I liked was the Tactical one for PSP. What they did was innovation on a now boring genre.

#24 Edited by Rayne718 (172 posts) -

It's already being resurrected, it's called H-Hour for PC and PS4 and it's being created by David Sears who worked on the original games socom 1 and 2. Should be coming out sometime in 2015 / 2016.

#25 Posted by XboxStache (912 posts) -

I'd like to see Socom return if the direction is similar to that of Socom- Combined assault and nothing remotely like Socom 4 or Confrontation which were the absolute pants of the series.

And no...H-hour doesn't count. We want open levels with the ability to tackle objectives any way we feel.

#26 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9759 posts) -

I rather they make MAG 2 than Socom 5

#27 Edited by jsmoke03 (12901 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

There is the first mistake. What made this game unique is that it was objective based, and round based. There was a respawn mode but most people played no respawn. Camping was also just part of a game and wasn't some big issue like it is today. If you don't know the fun of being a SEAL on desert glory successfully flash bang and releasing the hostages and making them travel to the extract point its something that only this game has ever delivered. This game was pretty tactical when you played with an actual team. I remember actually using room clearing, break contact, bound overwatch and etc. (before I joined the military) Im just saying your on the outside looking in on this one.

that isnt anything new. plenty of games did that

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (8634 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@uninspiredcup said:

If you like buggy games that crash frequently and it takes you 20 mins to fly to an operational area only to be killed my terminator AI. Yea its exactly the same.

My freind, the AI is designed for pc gamers. It must be good. The many keyboard buttons (that allow for sophisticated game play) allow the player to simply speed time up. It's very much a thinking mans game for people who had high grades at school.

#29 Posted by lostrib (36974 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

What about Insurgency?

#30 Edited by uninspiredcup (8634 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

What about Insurgency?

Good game until you realize most people playing are located in Afghanistan.

#31 Posted by Spitfire-Six (517 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: There is a difference between good AI and AI that can triangulate your position based on one suppressed shot. I have enough tactical experience to know how to approach and objective and how to execute a raid. Does not matter when the AI can see through walls. Its sad that you have to mod the game to make the AI behave accurately.

#32 Posted by RR360DD (11951 posts) -

lmao

no they should not

#33 Edited by quatoe (5678 posts) -

@blackace said:

SOCOM sucked on the PS3. They need to let that series die. They should bring back the other steath game that was on the PS1/PS2. Can't think of the name of it at the top of head. You played a spy who had to infilitrate places though. SOCOM started following apart on the PS2.

Is the game your thinking of called Syphon Filter? If so, I agree 1000000000%

#34 Posted by vashkey (33727 posts) -

I'd say no. There enough shooters and just let Socom rest in peace. Let's not have another Medal of Honor and painfully drag it out

#35 Posted by scatteh316 (4927 posts) -

I loved SOCUM on my PS2...

#36 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Are any of those games even good?

Socom Confrontation was easily my most played game of last gen. It's definitely not for everyone however it's an itch I so desperately hope I get to scratch this gen.

#37 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4789 posts) -

@quatoe: syphon filter was baws

#38 Posted by Omega-316 (786 posts) -

I am a kickstarter backer for H-Hour. the problem with the game is that it looks like a indie game which it is. Indie games are low quality games.

Sony killed socom. I am a sony supporter but i will always hold this small hate towards them for not backing the franchise.

#39 Posted by quatoe (5678 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur: That was the game that got me into stealth oriented titles, such a fun game series.

#40 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17700 posts) -

@W1NGMAN-: I was really into that game also, too bad it just never got to where it needed to be

#41 Posted by Couth_ (10125 posts) -

@Omega-316 said:

I am a kickstarter backer for H-Hour. the problem with the game is that it looks like a indie game which it is. Indie games are low quality games.

Sony killed socom. I am a sony supporter but i will always hold this small hate towards them for not backing the franchise.

What? Indie games are not low quality games. Look at star citizen - It too is a kickstarter backed indie game and it looks to blow everything out of the water.

The problem with H-Hour is that it looks like they have contracted some of the bottom tier developers and programmers. They probably have a lot of first time game developers on the team.. Just because it's an indie game doesn't mean it has to be low quality. It's very unlikely the graphics will hold up but the gameplay still could

#42 Posted by cainetao11 (17576 posts) -

@Couth_: that post chain says it all. "this is indie", no, this is "indie" gaming. This is exactly how films experienced the break through.

#43 Posted by CR00K (2644 posts) -

Still searching for that feeling that Socom 1 and 2 gave me. Best online multi so far for me.

#44 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

They need to put time into Jet Moto.

#45 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7131 posts) -

You need money to resurrect things. Sony cant even afford to make an appearance at PAX East along with Nintendo.

#46 Posted by mariokart64fan (19495 posts) -

no we have enough shooters already , and the only shooter i think that needs to be remade and remade right this time none of that cod garbage is goldeneye!

#48 Edited by Jury15 (1 posts) -

Here is an update on the progress of H-Hour, they rebuilt the first map (sismus) in Unreal Engine 4. Got some comparison screens and flyby video of the church.

#49 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3777 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

@SolidGame_basic: honestly.... No.

I'm tired of shooters. I'm already bored with Titanfall. I haven't played it since the first week it launched.

I wouldn't mind some sort of SOCOM spin-off, but not a FPS. Maybe a RTS of some sort.

I want new games in new genres.

Titanfall? lol.... Yes, lets compare a FPS with bots and robots to a tactical TPS one life shall we.

SOCOM is a TPS by the way. It does have a zoomed FPV, but is primarily TP. Just like H-Hour. That type of gameplay hasn't been around in over 10 years.

@JangoWuzHere said:

I remember really liking the single player experiences in SOCOM 1-3. I was shocked to see probably the most generic third person shooter of all time with SOCOM 4.

Agreed... S4 was a joke and not even considered to be a true SOCOM game by most of the community. SONY said not all that long ago that the SOCOM franchise will continue. H-Hour is a new game based on that clutch gameplay in S1 and S2.

@f50p90 said:

H-Hour looks pretty awful but the nostalgia heads are all over it as a proper SOCOM 2 successor

A game in early Alpha state looks awful? Have you seen the video reworked in UE4 of the church... or listened to the soundtracks? Here is a recent video in case you have not seen it. Looks GREAT to me especially being so early and having JUST changed to a new engine:

#50 Posted by lostrib (36974 posts) -

Don't bump old shit