Should Sony buy PlatinumGames?

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Shielder7
Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) 3 years, 1 month ago

Poll: Should Sony buy PlatinumGames? (66 votes)

Yes 27%
No 73%

On of the main reasons Bayonetta 2 isn't multiplat is because of cost, now I'm not bothered buy this too much as I didn't really enjoy Bayonetta 1 so Bayonetta 2 is no big loss IMO. But I did really like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and with a bank roll they won't run into cost issues as much and Sony "unlike other publishers who I won't mention" Don't have a tendency to gut and/or shut down developers once incorporated.

Avatar image for good_sk8er7
#1 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4325 posts) -

I think that would be a waste of money. Their games don't sell for shit.

I don't personally like any of the games they've made either.

Vaquish was cool, but I got really bored with it after about an hour.

Avatar image for Netret0120
#2 Posted by Netret0120 (3309 posts) -

Their games are utter crap in my opinion. Would be a waste of money and I doubt Sony can afford to do that anyways.

Avatar image for Shielder7
#3 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Their games are utter crap in my opinion. Would be a waste of money and I doubt Sony can afford to do that anyways.

I don't know I can't imagine they're that expensive yet.

Avatar image for HarlockJC
#4 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

Not too long ago Kamiya said something to the fact he would not mind Platinum going to be a Nintendo 2nd party. I don't know what his view point is on becoming a Sony 2nd party.

Avatar image for treedoor
#5 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Please no.

That would not be good for sales, and without those there will cease to be a Platinum Games.

Avatar image for Shielder7
#6 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@HarlockJC said:

Not too long ago Kamiya said something to the fact he would not mind Platinum going to be a Nintendo 2nd party. I don't know what his view point is on becoming a Sony 2nd party.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo is waiting to see how well Bayonetta 2 does and if it helps sell Wii Us. I don't think it will do that well on a Nintendo system.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#7 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

i was shocked when TotalBiscuit declared platinum games was his favorite dev. (source, his WTF is metal gear rising revengeance vid)

Avatar image for HarlockJC
#8 Edited by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@HarlockJC said:

Not too long ago Kamiya said something to the fact he would not mind Platinum going to be a Nintendo 2nd party. I don't know what his view point is on becoming a Sony 2nd party.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo is waiting to see how well Bayonetta 2 does and if it helps sell Wii Us. I don't think it will do that well on a Nintendo system.

It may not, but Kamiya has talked about his desire to make a Star Fox game off and on for years. I am kinda wondering if that will be his next game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#9 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

If Platinum games is going to be a part of any company, it'd be nintendo. Nintendo has a very good relationship with them it seems.

Avatar image for Ghost120x
#10 Edited by Ghost120x (4945 posts) -

No because Sony wouldn't do anything with them.

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#11 Posted by darkspineslayer (21962 posts) -

God no. Magicians like Platinum need to roam free.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12043 posts) -

No, because their games couldn't come to the xbox anymore. That means less people who can enjoy their games and less sales.

That's bad.

Avatar image for Vatusus
#13 Edited by Vatusus (6541 posts) -

I would love for that to happen but it just wont

Avatar image for Vatusus
#14 Edited by Vatusus (6541 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

No, because their games couldn't come to the xbox anymore. That means less people who can enjoy their games and less sales.

That's bad.

Going by vgchartz (inb4lolvgchartz) the vast majority of MGR, Vanquish and even Bayonetta (that was definitely better on the x360) units were sold for the PS3

Maybe PG could finally find a home below Sony's arms

Avatar image for SUD123456
#15 Posted by SUD123456 (4731 posts) -

Why do people start with the premise that one company can just buy another company, whenever they want?

Avatar image for shawn30
#16 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

Lol, Sony may not have the money to just go out and buy a new dev. MS could and should. Honestly, I just want to play the game and wish they just went third party altogether.

Avatar image for Pikminmaniac
#17 Edited by Pikminmaniac (10957 posts) -

That would make them Sony's highest caliber developers, but I think it would hurt Platinum games' sales. In any case, with always owning Nintendo and Sony platforms every gen, I've always been able to play their games (although Bayonetta was one of the worst ports last gen on PS3. Hopefully with Bayonetta 2 on Wii U, I'll be able to play a much better version) .

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#18 Posted by misterpmedia (6167 posts) -

It would be a great addition but not necessary.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#19 Edited by lamprey263 (33189 posts) -

no, I'd hate to see the company dissolve if Sony goes bankrupt

also, Bayonetta 2 isn't going multiplat because they couldn't find a publisher to finance it until Nintendo offered, if it's not going multiplatform now then that's probably due to contractual obligations... who knows maybe we won't see another Bayonetta game again, maybe Nintendo acquired (maybe for a limited time) rights to the franchise, happened with Tecmo when Nintendo financed the last Fatal Frame game, hence why we never saw another Fatal Frame game

Avatar image for locus-solus
#20 Edited by locus-solus (855 posts) -

only if Sony and Capcom founded Platinum Games to make Okami 2 and this could be done through a collaboration, Sony wouldn't actually need to buy Platinum Games for this to happen

Avatar image for Heil68
#21 Posted by Heil68 (56786 posts) -

No, that wouldn't benefit them that much.

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#22 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (28860 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

God no. Magicians like Platinum need to roam free.

yeah that's how I feel about it, an Exclusive here or there would be pretty cool though.

Avatar image for Basinboy
#23 Edited by Basinboy (12438 posts) -

No, it's not cost-effective. They're a good studio to hire on commission, but they aren't near worth the weight in gold their proprietors would be seeking.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#24 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4648 posts) -

If anyone should, it's Nintendo.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#25 Edited by foxhound_fox (95706 posts) -

No, Nintendo should. They at least have the kind of supervisory staff that could encourage and help deliver even more greatness from Platinum. The last thing we need is Metal Gear Rising: Among Thieves or The Wonderful 102: Development Hell or The Evil Within: Prologue.

Avatar image for kuu2
#26 Posted by kuu2 (8761 posts) -

Ha, Sony couldn't buy used chewing gum at the moment.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#27 Posted by Renegade_Fury (18883 posts) -

If they can't stay third party, sure. Anyone over Nintendo, at least.

Avatar image for Vatusus
#28 Edited by Vatusus (6541 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

no, I'd hate to see the company dissolve if Sony goes bankrupt

Really? There are still people who believes this? More fast would PG dissolve by itself than Sony would go bankrupt

Avatar image for renegade311
#29 Posted by Renegade311 (350 posts) -

Sony can't afford to buy any 3rd party developers.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#30 Posted by foxhound_fox (95706 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@lamprey263 said:

no, I'd hate to see the company dissolve if Sony goes bankrupt

Really? There are still people who believes this? More fast would PG dissolve by itself than Sony would go bankrupt

Because they totally didn't sell off a bunch of their assets in order to get back into the black.

Avatar image for Vatusus
#31 Posted by Vatusus (6541 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Vatusus said:

@lamprey263 said:

no, I'd hate to see the company dissolve if Sony goes bankrupt

Really? There are still people who believes this? More fast would PG dissolve by itself than Sony would go bankrupt

Because they totally didn't sell off a bunch of their assets in order to get back into the black.

And? Does that automatically means they're about to go bankrupt? If you trully believe that then you're just dumb.

Avatar image for seanmcloughlin
#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

Platinum games only on Sony systems? no thanks

I wouldn't be able to play MGR on my PC then

Avatar image for Nengo_Flow
#33 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

I never seen Sony ever go out and just buy a dev studio like that M$ style.

The only time they buy out a dev is when they have already worked with them for a while.

And anyways, Platinum studios? who are they? they dont make anything worth mentioning

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#34 Edited by foxhound_fox (95706 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

And? Does that automatically means they're about to go bankrupt? If you trully believe that then you're just dumb.

If they hadn't and kept in the red, they would have gone bankrupt eventually.

Well, how big companies like that "go bankrupt", but going into "bankruptcy protection" and whatnot.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#35 Edited by lamprey263 (33189 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Vatusus said:

@lamprey263 said:

no, I'd hate to see the company dissolve if Sony goes bankrupt

Really? There are still people who believes this? More fast would PG dissolve by itself than Sony would go bankrupt

Because they totally didn't sell off a bunch of their assets in order to get back into the black.

they sold off over $5 billion in assets last year to pull off a $400 million profit

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
#36 Edited by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I didn't vote but I would say no because Kamiya said he wants to work on Mysterious Murasame Castle.

I think it will fit with the types of games he makes.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#37 Edited by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

No I have never bought a Platinum game and don't see that changing in the future. Also would be a waste as their games sell like shit regardless of quality. They have internal studios that make niche games on a moderate budget already.

Also exclusive Platinum games won't do anything to help Nintendo this generation.

Avatar image for Shielder7
#38 Edited by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@darkspineslayer said:

God no. Magicians like Platinum need to roam free.

yeah that's how I feel about it, an Exclusive here or there would be pretty cool though.

I would hardly call them Magicians, but when the alternative is Nintendo how much roaming do you think they'll be able to do just on the Wii U. At least with Sony they have a Console they can work with.

Avatar image for DarkLink77
#39 Edited by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

No, Nintendo should. They at least have the kind of supervisory staff that could encourage and help deliver even more greatness from Platinum. The last thing we need is Metal Gear Rising: Among Thieves or The Wonderful 102: Development Hell or The Evil Within: Prologue.

Yo, this. They're a good fit for Nintendo in a way most studios aren't.

Sony straight up doesn't have the money.

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#40 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (28860 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@darkspineslayer said:

God no. Magicians like Platinum need to roam free.

yeah that's how I feel about it, an Exclusive here or there would be pretty cool though.

I would hardly call them Magicians, but when the alternative is Nintendo how much roaming do you think they'll be able to do just on the Wii U. At least with Sony they have a Console they can work with.

Kamiya has stated that WiiU is no harder to develop for than any other console he's worked with.

So making a comment that implies that WiiU isn't anything to work with doesn't effect Platinum's Brilliant work. Considering They got Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 working in 60 frames per second in HD on WiiU says things.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#41 Edited by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

I think Sony should buy Ready At Dawn if they think The Order 1886 will be a major hit. I would also like to see some type of exclusivity contract with Quantric Dream even though they seem to have a handshake agreement right now.

Avatar image for Mr-Kutaragi
#42 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

Would be waste of money. They are ok dev.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#43 Edited by mems_1224 (55727 posts) -

Wouldn't really care. I wouldn't miss out on anything.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#44 Edited by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Lol, Sony may not have the money to just go out and buy a new dev. MS could and should. Honestly, I just want to play the game and wish they just went third party altogether.

What makes you think Sony can't buy a studio? As much as people talk no one on here knows what is or isn't financially feasible for them. Anyway Platinum isn't worth buying and would be a bad investment as I and many others have already stated.

And Microsoft could and SHOULD cultivate more internal studios, but they don't really care about game development as we all know.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#45 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

Platinum games only on Sony systems? no thanks

I wouldn't be able to play MGR on my PC then


Yeah that only took a full year after release to happen...not much of an argument or reason to expect future Platinum games on PC.

Avatar image for Joedgabe
#46 Edited by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

Nope, their games should be on as many platforms as they can. I'm not a fan, i just think they need it

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#47 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (28860 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

Platinum games only on Sony systems? no thanks

I wouldn't be able to play MGR on my PC then

Yeah that only took a full year after release to happen...not much of an argument or reason to expect future Platinum games on PC.

Vanquish would be pretty neat on PC.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#48 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

Platinum games only on Sony systems? no thanks

I wouldn't be able to play MGR on my PC then

Yeah that only took a full year after release to happen...not much of an argument or reason to expect future Platinum games on PC.

Vanquish would be pretty neat on PC.

It would be. I'm just saying it is not like Platinum games have much of a history on PC so it wouldn't be a loss for that user base if they did go first party.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#49 Posted by mems_1224 (55727 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

Platinum games only on Sony systems? no thanks

I wouldn't be able to play MGR on my PC then

Yeah that only took a full year after release to happen...not much of an argument or reason to expect future Platinum games on PC.

Vanquish would be pretty neat on PC.

I would prefer if a western dev just stole that sliding mechanic tbh and did their own vanquish like scifi game. lol

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#50 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (28860 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

It would be. I'm just saying it is not like Platinum games have much of a history on PC so it wouldn't be a loss for that user base if they did go first party.

You're right on the money there. Besides I think porting Rising to PC was a Konami decision and not a Platinum decision anyway.