Should Sony and MS add support for PS1/PS2 and Xbox discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

So MS totally caught everyone off guard with their BC announcement. Probably the most consumer friendly thing a game company has done in a long time. It's huge, absolutely massive. And I really respect their efforts and look forward to the future where hundreds of games are supported.

Sony has since come out and said that they have no plans for PS3 BC. It's a job that is perhaps too much for them? PS3 and the cell are probably the most complex arc on a console ever so it can't be easy. That is a shame, and I don't see it happening any time soon as a result.

But, why not PS2 and PS1 game discs in native 1080p? Like PC's have been doing since the early 2000's? Same with OG Xbox on the One. I have a bunch of PS1, PS2 and Xbox games and would find it swell if I could play them all in the latest device.

Your thoughts?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I think there's a problem with og xbox that makes it hard to emulate, so maybe that.

Has for Playstation, it's more of sony wanting you to pay for PSNow

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BobRossPerm
@deadline-zero0 said:

I think there's a problem with og xbox that makes it hard to emulate, so maybe that.

Has for Playstation, it's more of sony wanting you to pay for PSNow

Yeah for devs at home. MS just perfectly emulated a 360 on a tablet CPU. I doubt OG Xbox is a problem especially when the 360 does it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

No, its not needed, Go by a sub $100 gen 7 console to play the old games if you want. A PS2 is under $50 I think used and it can play PS1 games.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BobRossPerm
@Heil68 said:

No, its not needed, Go by a sub $100 gen 7 console to play the old games if you want. A PS2 is under $50 I think used and it can play PS1 games.

One device and playing at 1080p tho. Much better option. You may not personally care, but many would respond, including myself.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68

@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

One device and playing at 1080p tho. Much better option. You may not personally care, but many would respond, including myself.

yeah ok..I've only played like 2-3 gen 7 games since 2014 and I had to move my 360 to my other living room to force me to use it.

FashionFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FashionFreak
Member since 2004 • 2326 Posts

Like you said, PC can run PS1 and PS2 games in 1080P, and you most likely already have a PC if you play current gen. Play current gen on PS4 and XBone. Use PC for the BC you want.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BobRossPerm
@FashionFreak said:

Like you said, PC can run PS1 and PS2 games in 1080P, and you most likely already have a PC if you play current gen. Play current gen on PS4 and XBone. Use PC for the BC you want.

Not everyone can work a PC emulator or have a PC powerful enough. Especially fiddly ones like the PS2.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Yes Sony should (mentioned this in nyadc's thread)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

ideally every console in a series should have full BC support for the older consoles in its line.

but the nature of console development makes this very difficult.

so...yes they should but in some cases it may not be feasible at all (especially for a console like the PS3.).

randyoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 randyoh
Member since 2015 • 55 Posts

they wont do that but as for sony i would like to see BC with PS3 games and turn PSNow into a retro streaming service and give a large library with all the great PS1 and PS2 games in the streaming service. I would pay a subscription fee for that. I wont pay for what is offered with PSNow right now tho.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

That would be great.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

Im a cow but sony has no excuse other than greed to not support PS1 discs through software emulation. PS2 and PS3 I can understand since they never got that 100% working but PS1 emulation was 100% working with smoother graphics and faster load times since before the release of the PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@FashionFreak said:

Not everyone can work a PC emulator or have a PC powerful enough. Especially fiddly ones like the PS2.

PS 1 games doesn't look that good in higher resolutions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@FashionFreak said:

PS 1 games doesn't look that good in higher resolutions.

The OG Xbox games look bad in HD also.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@bobrossperm said:

So MS totally caught everyone off guard with their BC announcement. Probably the most consumer friendly thing a game company has done in a long time. It's huge, absolutely massive. And I really respect their efforts and look forward to the future where hundreds of games are supported.

Sony has since come out and said that they have no plans for PS3 BC. It's a job that is perhaps too much for them? PS3 and the cell are probably the most complex arc on a console ever so it can't be easy. That is a shame, and I don't see it happening any time soon as a result.

But, why not PS2 and PS1 game discs in native 1080p? Like PC's have been doing since the early 2000's? Same with OG Xbox on the One. I have a bunch of PS1, PS2 and Xbox games and would find it swell if I could play them all in the latest device.

Your thoughts?

The PS4 sells like hot cakes, why would they? Because of by "gamers for gamers"? Did people really buy that load of shit? They want your money. Just like any one else.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cainetao11

@Heil68 said:

It's not about being "needed". Its about being for gamers......................or is that not a thing anymore? 19.99 to rent GoW3 LOL Or buy it again for 40 bucks? LMAO

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cainetao11

@Heil68 said:

It has to be needed in order to be wanted by fans? People voted for it on the forums, they delivered. Sony fans say Sony gave them what they wanted with a fruit cake 18 year old JRPG,. What's the problem?

Sorry, don't know why GS separated my posts

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

It's not about being "needed". Its about being for gamers......................or is that not a thing anymore? 19.99 to rent GoW3 LOL Or buy it again for 40 bucks? LMAO

I'll say it here and now. PSNOW is a joke. Not only the streaming of games but the pricing as well. I'll never use it and encourage others not to as well.

I've Never said I approve or support it. '

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cainetao11

@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

I'll say it here and now. PSNOW is a joke. Not only the streaming of games but the pricing as well. I'll never use it and encourage others not to as well.

But you absolutely love the Japanese company that conceived it and are trying to downplay the company that is attempting to give that feature for free to gamers. But you say you are unbiased?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

But you absolutely love the Japanese company that conceived it and are trying to downplay the company that is attempting to give that feature for free to gamers. But you say you are unbiased?

It;s impossible to love everything a single entity does.

As a whole, yes, I much more prefer SONY gaming over MS. But I own both and have formed that opinion over 8 years. IT didn't start put that way, I still have lem gifs, but then 2009 happened and Kinect.

I've never cared for BC, like I said my game time is limited, I dont go back and play older games usually. I didn't play any PS1 games last gen nor any of the Xbox ones that worked with 360.

My wife bought me a PS2 which I never owned and I sold it because I never played it.

Is it so hard to understand some people really dont care about BC or old games? And before you say it, I do buy remasters/remakes because they can be played on current hardware and I've bought them for all 3 console makers this gen,

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BobRossPerm
@cainetao11 said:
@bobrossperm said:

Your thoughts?

The PS4 sells like hot cakes, why would they? Because of by "gamers for gamers"? Did people really buy that load of shit? They want your money. Just like any one else.

Yeah, I don't care about company alliance nonesense so there's that. I care more about BC because it's a damn good thing MS is doing. I hope this raises Xbone sales so Sony feels they should respond. Not because I want Sony to be all emotional with us gamers, but because I want me some PS1 and PS2 games on PS4. PS3 would also be swell but lets be realistic here, that's probably not happening.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Sony already has a functioning emulator to play PS2 games on the PS3, cows have yet to hold Sony's feet to the fire over it yet. Instead of giving it to PS3 owners, Sony is using it to sell PS2 games on the PS3 digital store. They haven't offered it in any way to loyal gamers to play their PS2 discs on the PS3. If they haven't bothered on the PS3, why bother on the PS4?

I'd love to see it happen though, still got a ton of PS2 games, way more than I have PS3 games. And, I got rid of most my Xbox original collection, but I kept Panzer Dragoon Orta just in case.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BobRossPerm
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

What does Sony being Japanese have to do with anything? You keep bringing that up lol.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

Who the hell buys a ps4or X1 and says " man I sure wish I could play that old ps1/Xbox Classic "

Pariah-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pariah-
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

Yes. That way i can finally get rid of my launch PS3 and get a super slim.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cainetao11

@bobrossperm said:
@cainetao11 said:
@bobrossperm said:

Your thoughts?

Yeah, I don't care about company alliance nonesense so there's that. I care more about BC because it's a damn good thing MS is doing. I hope this raises Xbone sales so Sony feels they should respond. Not because I want Sony to be all emotional with us gamers, but because I want me some PS1 and PS2 games on PS4. PS3 would also be swell but lets be realistic here, that's probably not happening.

PS3 is possible if people don't pay for rentals. PSNow is a really shit idea more so now because of the existence of BC on the direct competitor. I hope Sony sees that.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@bobrossperm said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

What does Sony being Japanese have to do with anything? You keep bringing that up lol.

I am old school is all. I prefer an American company as Japanese prefer a Japanese company is all.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cainetao11

@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

As a whole, yes, I much more prefer SONY gaming over MS. But I own both and have formed that opinion over 8 years. IT didn't start put that way, I still have lem gifs, but then 2009 happened and Kinect.

I've never cared for BC, like I said my game time is limited, I dont go back and play older games usually. I didn't play any PS1 games last gen nor any of the Xbox ones that worked with 360.

My wife bought me a PS2 which I never owned and I sold it because I never played it.

Is it so hard to understand some people really dont care about BC or old games? And before you say it, I do buy remasters/remakes because they can be played on current hardware and I've bought them for all 3 console makers this gen,

So then you would rather pay for those older games. Ok, to each their own. I am glad Gears 1&2 just hit the BC list because I didn't want to rebuy Gears for X1 and I don't have to now. MS gave me options. Remember when that was "for gamers"?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Nah to late

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

So then you would rather pay for those older games. Ok, to each their own. I am glad Gears 1&2 just hit the BC list because I didn't want to rebuy Gears for X1 and I don't have to now. MS gave me options. Remeber when that was "for gamers"?

Jesus.

Ok MS is so fucking awesome..

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11

@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

So then you would rather pay for those older games. Ok, to each their own. I am glad Gears 1&2 just hit the BC list because I didn't want to rebuy Gears for X1 and I don't have to now. MS gave me options. Remeber when that was "for gamers"?

Jesus.

Ok MS is so fucking awesome..

LOL

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BobRossPerm
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

yeah ok..I've only played like 2-3 gen 7 games since 2014 and I had to move my 360 to my other living room to force me to use it.

I remember only a few weeks ago on this forum, you were saying how much you didn't care about The Last Guardian thinking it wasn't coming. Then the announcement was made, the first thing I saw you post about it was 'megaton! day 1 CE incoming' or something among those lines :P

Are you saying you don't think PS1/PS2 disc BC is a good thing for PS4 owners? It would be huge since the PlayStation library over the years is perhaps the most impressive of any companies. All in native 1080p upres.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68

@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

I remember only a few weeks ago on this forum, you were saying how much you didn't care about The Last Guardian thinking it wasn't coming. Then the announcement was made, the first thing I saw you post about it was 'megaton! day 1 CE incoming' or something among those lines :P

Are you saying you don't think PS1/PS2 disc BC is a good thing for PS4 owners? It would be huge since the PlayStation library over the years is perhaps the most impressive of any companies. All in native 1080p upres.

But then SONY, current gen 8 console leader said "you want it? **** it here you go!!!"

And was declared 2015 E3 winner.

It came out of nowhere.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BobRossPerm
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

But then SONY, current gen 8 console leader said "you want it? **** it here you go!!!"

It came out of nowhere.

And it wouldn't hurt for Sony to give us BC either. It's a megaton and would fall right in line with their Live Love and Learn philosophy n all that!

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@bobrossperm said:

And it wouldn't hurt for Sony to give us BC either. It's a megaton and would fall right in line with their Live Love and Learn philosophy n all that!

It's physically impossible to emulatea PS3 but PS2/PSP, PS1 should be quite easy though, if they can be bothered to rewrite the emulators.

I have never had the urge to play PS1 games since PS2 came out, and even then I think A lot of people who do emulators would just use a PC anyway because of romz.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68

@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

It came out of nowhere.

Sure if its possible since they used didn't architecture last gen. I dont care, I saved my PS3.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BobRossPerm
@ten_pints said:
@bobrossperm said:

It's physically impossible to emulatea PS3 but PS2/PSP, PS1 should be quite easy though, if they can be bothered to rewrite the emulators.

I have never had the urge to play PS1 games since PS2 came out, and even then I think A lot of people who do emulators would just use a PC anyway because of romz.

I would have thought the same for the 360, but MS done it on their tablet CPU. And PS3 has PS1 emulation in every unit. Even the newest ones. Would be cool if all PS4's get PS1 and PS2 emulation.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

BC is old school now. New ways are gamers moving on to next gen and leaving last gen behind.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

No! I don't really play those older games any more! I have a 60GB PS3 and I use it once for PS2 game and that it! Just bring me more PS4 games and that it!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cainetao11

@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

LOL

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cainetao11

@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

It came out of nowhere.

I have never seen you lie like this. How could it come out of nowhere but on June 9, 2015 we had this threadhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/we-have-it-on-good-authority-that-the-last-guardia-32127282/#77

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Heil68

@cainetao11 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

LOL

Who was expecting TLG to win SONY a 3rd straight E3???

By golly I wasn't. I didn't even think the game existed to be honest.

Then SONY, current gen 8 console leader let the magic happen and gave us GAMERS what WE wanted.

MAGICAL E3 win for SONY

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:
@bobrossperm said:
@Heil68 said:

It came out of nowhere.

I have never seen you lie like this. How could it come out of nowhere but on June 9, 2015 we had this threadhttp://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/we-have-it-on-good-authority-that-the-last-guardia-32127282/#77

I dont trust speculation, rumors and such till things are for sure.

Unless you think MCC and SO are going to Windows 10 now? There was an article suggesting that.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cainetao11

@Heil68: Its not about trusting it. But the fact that TLG was even mentioned to be there means it didn't come out of nowhere. Horizon came out of nowhere.