Should Sony abandon the Vita? (If they haven't already)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by me2002 (1307 posts) -

As a cow, I think they should, and concentrate fully on the PS4.

I think they might have already, as the only 1st party game coming out are Tearaway and Gravity Rush 2.

3rd party has also already abandoned it, no major games coming...

It's a good system but people rather get smartphones and tablets and 3DS is just dominating the handheld market.

With no sales there'll be no games and the system will die soon. What a shame because it had so much potential, but maybe it's for the better.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

Starting off your post with "As a cow" is absolutely stupid.

Answering the question, no. They need to show it's at least somewhat as profitable and worthy for devs as the PSP. Doing that is much better than ditching it.

#3 Edited by me2002 (1307 posts) -

@Blabadon: How do they show it?

#4 Posted by hummer700 (10197 posts) -

Hell no! I just got a vita this week as a gift and its a beautiful piece of hardware. Its a real shame there's not much in the future but It has a ton of games already available that I'm looking forward to playing. I know its delusional but I hope they're just waiting for the right time to announce some major games for 2014.

#5 Posted by kuu2 (7369 posts) -

No money means tough decisions have to be made.

#6 Posted by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

I was disappointed with the PSP Go and shortly after purchase I got rid of it. I was and still am really pumped for the PS Vita but I refuse to purchase a system until they pump out some great games. Mainly racing and fighting games would be nice but right now there isn't much of a selection. I myself would prefer gaming on a PS Vita instead of a Tablet just because I want the separate controls and not just touch screen. I was going to hit a road trip pretty soon and thought about getting a Vita to go.

#7 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

remote play is amazing ! so no

#8 Posted by trollop_scat (2653 posts) -

I forgot the Vita even existed. The fact I'm actually looking into buying a handheld says a lot. I'm not even considering Vita as an option. It's either a 3DS or just figure out some good games for my iphone 5s...

#9 Edited by voljin1987 (735 posts) -

They can release persona 5 on it and do what they want with it after that.

#10 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

No they shouldn't, but they need to approach it differently than they do their consoles and they don't. Stop making games for it that have better versions on the PS3. Make whole new unique games for it. Drop the price of the Vita, but more importantly, drop the price to those damn super overpriced memory cards. Better yet, release a new Vita with built-in HDD for the same price as the current Vita. So...

1. Unique games that aren't just watered down PS3 games

2. Reduce the price to the Vita and the memory cards or...

3. Release a new model Vita with a built in HDD and release it for the same price as the current Vita.

I have PS+ and even with all the free Vita games I have waiting through PS+ for the Vita, I am still picking the 3DS XL over it.

#11 Posted by donalbane (16363 posts) -

I just got a Vita to use in conjunction with the PS4, and I have to tell you, the killer app with the PS4 right now is the remote play feature. It's tremendous... I can't believe how well it works. I think once more people try the feature, they will buy Vitas.

#12 Posted by Bishop1310 (1109 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

remote play is amazing ! so no

thing is you don't need amazing hardware for remote play. The vita is simply relaying an image and has to render nothing.. Sony could do this with a $100 product and sell it as a remote play accessory with the console, The vita I think should die off and give the ps4 a cheap remote play device.

#13 Posted by me2002 (1307 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa:

price will come down but I don't think Sony will make many games for it....

it's sad to see the state it's in, no sales=no games=no sales

I think it's too late for them to save it

I'd like to see them phase out the Vita but keep a little support for the owners

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

No, I would be very sad if they did. They do need to get their heads out of their asses, however.

#15 Posted by ni6htmare01 (982 posts) -

I just try the remote play with Vita and PS4. I can tell you it is awesome!

#16 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

The PS Vita lets you play PS4 games remotely, in addition to it's own games.

In fact, I think the Vita is more valuable as a remote PS4 player than a standalone handheld.

#17 Edited by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Just localizing more games would make the system have a lot more games and a lot more appealing (albeit to a more niche audience).

No, its a quality system. PS Vita TV coming to the West would be a big boost I think, as long as it stays at $100. And its advertised. I spoke to several friends who thought it was an add-on for the Vita, not a cheaper version of it. To say the least, they really wanted it after I told them what it was.

#18 Edited by osan0 (12746 posts) -

if they do then that would mean they would be finished in the handheld market. any progress they made with the PSP would be wasted and consumer confidence in PS handhelds would be shot.

so if they did give up then they would essentially be out of the dedicated handheld market. that would also mean that all their gaming eggs would be in one basket.

so no...probably not a good idea.

it looks like its going to be treated as a PS4 accessory from now on though. outside gravity rush 2 there is very little on the way. its a big shame since it really is a great device to play games on.

edit: oh and tearaway this friday...looking forward to that :D.

#19 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6561 posts) -

No I do not think that would be wise. The Vita has gotten more goodwill these latest months then it has even at launch, sothere may be a future for it, and depending on how wel Integrated it can be with the PS4, I see it having a pretty decent future, not 3DS future, but a decent one.

#20 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

@osan0 said:

if they do then that would mean they would be finished in the handheld market. any progress they made with the PSP would be wasted and consumer confidence in PS handhelds would be shot.

so if they did give up then they would essentially be out of the dedicated handheld market. that would also mean that all their gaming eggs would be in one basket.

so no...probably not a good idea.

it looks like its going to be treated as a PS4 accessory from now on though. outside gravity rush 2 there is very little on the way. its a big shame since it really is a great device to play games on.

edit: oh and tearaway this friday...looking forward to that :D.

Gravity Rush 2

Tearaway

Danganronpa

Freedom Wars (assuming localization because its made by Sony)

Demon Gaze

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Minecraft

Borderlands 2

Soul Sacrifice Delta

Walking Dead Season 2

The Wolf Among Us

Murasaki Baby

Final Fantasy X HD

Final Fantasy X-2 HD

Helldivers

Toukiden: The Age of Demons

MLB 14

Plus a good number I've forgotten and a **** ton of smaller indie games.

Its future library is fine. Not great, but fine. It just lacks system seller exclusives like a Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon.

#21 Edited by coolkid93 (6715 posts) -

NOPE.

#22 Edited by Boddicker (2803 posts) -

They kind of screwed themselves with promises of remote play, so I don't see it as an option for 2-3 years atleast.

IMHO Sony should have abandoned the handheld market after the PSP. It's dominated by children and Nintendo's got that market cornered.

#23 Edited by lamprey263 (24206 posts) -

no, such a move will do considerable damage to the PlayStation name brand, plus people who have Vitas are probably Sony's biggest cheerleaders, and if Sony loses their loyalty then Sony loses valuable free advertising that Sony's cheerleaders bring to places like this, talking trash about the competition while continually praising their favorite system, and Sony fanboys are some of the most devoted cheerleaders