Should Nintendo make more powerful console "next gen" ?

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3899 posts) 2 years, 14 days ago

Poll: Should Nintendo make more powerful console "next gen" ? (80 votes)

Yes. Powerful console, high price 71%
No. Weak console, low price 28%

I like some Wii U games but i wish graphics was better. It´s sad that Wii U is so weak console, same weak as PS3 even when it´s next gen console.

Think... if Wii U was same powerful like PS4, then Mario and Zelda games would look amazing.

Right now Wii U games:

But if Wii U was powerful like PS4, then graphics would look like this:

Nintendo made mistake and sacrificed console power and made GamePad that costs 150 euros alone. It´s such a shame that Nintendo was hoping on Wii success. I hope they drop this stupid gamepad idea, all this stupid gimmic and make more powerful console with online.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
#101 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@farrell2k: Not sure what happened there, I posted but it disappeared...so if this ends up being a double post, I apologize. But I said, Our 1st IP as a Studio is what we are working on currently, while I could, I won't disclose details on current projects. Way to early to reveal anything, especially since things keep changing from what we were targeting. Though I assume you understand that.

#102 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

They might take that route by releasing a powerful console (hardware) but as long as their consoles sell and their fanbase + casual gamers are happy I don't think it will happen !!

#103 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4384 posts) -

Nintendo would have the best idea of what they should do in regard to console power. Also Wii U games look great :)

#105 Posted by PonchoTaco (3159 posts) -

Nah, they need to make it weaker than previous generations.

#106 Posted by clr84651 (5620 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:

It's not the hardware (perse) that hurt Nintendo.. It was the piss poor marketing, high price point, and lack of 3rd parties (due to Ninstupido's business practices). A more powerful system isn't going to help.

More power always helps. Staying on par with Sony & MS with power would help.

#107 Posted by pyro1245 (1373 posts) -

I think we've seen that power doesn't make these consoles this gen. They need to keep focusing on games. Creative games ultimately sell consoles. So do hyped-up trailers with flashy visuals, but they eventually disappoint us most of the time.

Also what's the point of having power when your system is closed off. You'll have all this power but you can only use it for games. You can't program for it easily. You can't run CAD software.

#108 Posted by Kjranu (1610 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

I think we've seen that power doesn't make these consoles this gen. They need to keep focusing on games. Creative games ultimately sell consoles. So do hyped-up trailers with flashy visuals, but they eventually disappoint us most of the time.

Also what's the point of having power when your system is closed off. You'll have all this power but you can only use it for games. You can't program for it easily. You can't run CAD software.

I believe Nintendo just need to make a console that people want to put games on it. It needs to be powerful/on par, comes with a standard pro controller with optional controllers, it should emphasize openness (could be the Steam of consoles). Nintendo just doesn't know how to make consoles that people WANT anymore. Games are all good but if the tech in the console blows then not too many people will want it as we've seen with Wii U. No consoles, no games.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#109 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

The gamecube had similar power to the xbox and ps2 and still didn't receive the same 3rd party support.

#110 Posted by pyro1245 (1373 posts) -

@Kjranu said:
@pyro1245 said:

I believe Nintendo just need to make a console that people want to put games on it. It needs to be powerful/on par, comes with a standard pro controller with optional controllers, it should emphasize openness (could be the Steam of consoles). Nintendo just doesn't know how to make consoles that people WANT anymore. Games are all good but if the tech in the console blows then not too many people will want it as we've seen with Wii U. No consoles, no games.

They may be all first-party games but the line-up is still better that PS or XBox if you have a PC. The Wii is the only device that still feels like a console.

#111 Edited by Kjranu (1610 posts) -

@ninjapirate2000 said:

The gamecube had similar power to the xbox and ps2 and still didn't receive the same 3rd party support.

No, Gamecube was actually supported pretty well. They also played stupid in that generation by going with an unconventional and limited proprietary disc that had only 1.5GB storage capability - vastly less space compared to competitors' DVD 9.

#112 Edited by Kjranu (1610 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

@Kjranu said:
@pyro1245 said:

They may be all first-party games but the line-up is still better that PS or XBox if you have a PC. The Wii is the only device that still feels like a console.

I have a powerful rig, and I find Nintendo consoles unappealing. The weak hardware and the archaic Wii U OS. Sony puts out far better first party if you're not 12 year old or Microsoft if Halo is all you care about. ;)

#113 Posted by LJS9502_basic (156794 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

It's not the hardware (perse) that hurt Nintendo.. It was the piss poor marketing, high price point, and lack of 3rd parties (due to Ninstupido's business practices). A more powerful system isn't going to help.

Build a PC then. Games help. I feel sorry for people that worry about graphics etc when games look good this gen no matter the console....and don't think game play matters. Sad. We're really got far away from what gaming is....

#114 Posted by TheEroica (16231 posts) -

Wait, is the practice of gimp ed hardware, no quality online and the absence of dozens of amazing games because of it not working for them?

#115 Posted by Kjranu (1610 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Build a PC then. Games help. I feel sorry for people that worry about graphics etc when games look good this gen no matter the console....and don't think game play matters. Sad. We're really got far away from what gaming is....

Wii U is not a console that game developers want to put games on. If Nintendo was serious about gaming then they would go to them and try to address their grievances. They didn't and never have. Sony is the only one who actually had a game developer assist in PS4's development. Nintendo is a crap company who doesn't give a crap about third party games. They only care about putting out a platform where we can play Mario and Zelda on.

#116 Posted by LJS9502_basic (156794 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Wii U is not a console that game developers want to put games on. If Nintendo was serious about gaming then they would go to them and try to address their grievances. They didn't and never have. Sony is the only one who actually had a game developer assist in PS4's development. Nintendo is a crap company who doesn't give a crap about third party games. They only care about putting out a platform where we can play Mario and Zelda on.

Nintendo lost dev support during the GC era. The people that buy the consoles support Nintendo games....not so much third party. Which means they don't get profits from creating games for it. I'm sure a few sell but overall it's lack of sales. Not the hardware that causes this. So if you are an exclusive Nintendo gamer.....do yourselves a favor and support third parties.

#117 Posted by ccagracing (821 posts) -

Nintendo don't need a more powerful console, they need to drop the gimmicky controllers and incorporate online play and social integration. That's why there is no big Multiplat titles, no dlc or anything can easily be released by 3rd parties.

#118 Posted by Heil68 (55726 posts) -

If you're going to come out first in gen, then yes, you better make sure you can keep pace with SONY and MS.

#119 Edited by LJS9502_basic (156794 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

If you're going to come out first in gen, then yes, you better make sure you can keep pace with SONY and MS.

Eh they did okay last gen. They made money making the games they wanted the way they wanted. Whether you agree with their audience or not.

#120 Posted by pyro1245 (1373 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

@pyro1245 said:

@Kjranu said:
@pyro1245 said:

I have a powerful rig, and I find Nintendo consoles unappealing. The weak hardware and the archaic Wii U OS. Sony puts out far better first party if you're not 12 year old or Microsoft if Halo is all you care about. ;)

Eh I haven't been into Naughty Daog since they stopped making platformers. Couldn't get into infamous either. Xbox has an even worse line-up. To be honest Bloodborne and FF are the only games I'd want to play on either PS4 or (that and Destiny but that will come to PC). Nintendo has Zelda, plus a handful of third-party exclusives like Bayonetta 2 and the next Xenoblade game.

Now that I think about it they all kinda suck.

#121 Posted by TheEroica (16231 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: that is true... they did do as they wanted, made a ton of money, had what will be known as an iconic piece of hardware and made the games they wanted to make... but it's relevant to feel a little sold out by nintendo I feel.

I mean, part of me applauded them for doing something different in the sense that buying an X 1 or ps4 is essentially buying the same exact product minus 5% of the overall library...

BUT I think it's fair to simply say, nintendo first party games do not appeal to me as the used to. Never enjoyed ssb , appreciate but not hyped for more mario and all the filler mario branded stuff that comes along with it (mario party, mario Olympics etc etc etc....) even the last couple console zeldas have grown long in the teeth for me. nintendo can ultimately do what they want with hardware... what I'd like more is an adjustment to which franchises they choose to develop for. When they put out 5 mario branded games in a single year (yes im exagerating) and great franchises that would be fresh and relevant in the modern day go left untouched I see that as a clear sign nintendo isn't interested In my demographic as much.

I think the question isn't so much does nintendo need more powerful hardware but does nintendo want to cater to gamer demographic that enjoys the full features and titles in today's market.

#122 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (28327 posts) -

Should and Would mean different things.

#123 Posted by Heil68 (55726 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

Eh they did okay last gen. They made money making the games they wanted the way they wanted. Whether you agree with their audience or not.

True, but lack of 3rd party support hurts.

#124 Posted by bforrester420 (3247 posts) -

Nintendo's big franchises don't really need high graphical fidelity. What I would prefer they do is just drop the gimmicky controller schemes.

#125 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

do they really need to? were nintendo games every graphical marvels?

#126 Posted by clr84651 (5620 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Power helps, it's not everything. Nintendo should design their console's power close to their console competitors, price it close to their console competitors, & go back to standard controls. Put out their good exclusives & gain more 3rd party support by having their console on par with their console competitors. PC gaming is different than console gaming. Nintendo needs to focus on being a successful console maker.

#127 Posted by clr84651 (5620 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Nintendo needs to be on par with their console competitors hardwarewise, price it similar to their console competitores, go back to standard controls, & regain 3rd party support. Sony is the only 1 of the 3 that moved in the right direction this gen. MS & Nintendo both did lame things to sway consumers to buy Playstation instead of Xbox or Nintendo.

#128 Posted by jg4xchamp (57531 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah last gen, the past. We are in the here and now, and it's clear that routine aint going to work twice unless they come up with another gimmick people will buy into.

#129 Posted by NFJSupreme (6198 posts) -

of course they should. The weak hardware is part of the problem and part of the lack of third party support. Weak hardware hurts the perception of the wii u as well.

#130 Posted by hiphops_savior (8261 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Heil68 said:

True, but lack of 3rd party support hurts.

If you were given the option for Madden between the Wii U or the Xbox One, which would you pick? Now let's just pretend that the Wii U looks just as good and the online is more than adequate.

#131 Posted by mems_1224 (54510 posts) -

Nintendo games have never need powerful hardware to look very pretty. Id rather they focus on their online capabilities.

#132 Posted by hiphops_savior (8261 posts) -

@mems_1224: In what capabilities? Nintendo is approaching unified account through Nintendo Network, and cloud syncing is quite expensive (you need servers to store data and maintain it).

Contrary to many bashings, Nintendo Network is very solid for online gaming, albeit with a very small population. I can voice chat with iphone headsets, online is relatively simple to get on and play. DLC is beyond Nintendo's control when 3rd Party is just as culpable.

#133 Posted by NFJSupreme (6198 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Nintendo games have never need powerful hardware to look very pretty. Id rather they focus on their online capabilities.

that's the problem right there. Fewer and fewer people want to play "Nintendo games." I keep saying this and I'll just say it till my face turns blue but exclusives are great. They move units especially among core gamers. But EVERYONE plays multiplats. If your platform is just none for its exclusives and has none of the multiplat games that we all know and love well then good luck. Nintendo is always going to have their core fan base what they need to do is bring in some of the majority who want to play games like battlefield, the witcher, dragon age, GTA, watch dogs etc. etc. and don't want to buy a second console to do so. If Nintendo's business model is to be a niche console they can keep doing that but they will never achieve the success they had in their glory days doing that. The Wii was a fad. It was the "it" device to have for a long time. People who don't even play video games bought one (like my female cousin lol) so yeah of course they aren't going replicate that. This whole notion of releasing a console that does not compete with the other consoles will die this gen with the failure of the wii u. You are either in the console game or not. Half assing it will only yield half-assed results

#134 Edited by syferz (735 posts) -

The question isn't should Nintendo's successor have Wii U or PS4 graphics, but rather PS4 (~$199) or ~"PS5" graphics and a higher price (~$399)

Nintendo's 3rd party support is not coming back if it had the same or greater level of hardware than PS5, Wii U still doesn't receive last gen ports to highlight the problem, their market isn't big enough, so a lower price is going to help with 3rd parties more so than parity of specs, just look at Vita getting better 3rd party support than Wii U and you'll see I'm right.

Ok, what we know they are doing:

• Combining hardware architectures and API (they will share at least some of their game libraries, if not the vast majority of them)
  • Releasing first new device in 2016 (Iwata's comment about ~2 years from april)
  • Using AMD (AMD's own comments about getting into the handheld market and Nintendo's architecture comments leads to AMD hardware IMO)
  • Handheld first (while 3DS might be more successful than Wii U, it doesn't have a similar development environment to future hardware, this means it will continue to use more resources and delay other software)
  • A console in 2017 exceeding PS4's hardware specs, should be quite possible at $199. (However a tablet controller might still be needed)
  • If the handheld is using a touch screen, the console will need to use one as well, thus a tablet controller is probably not going to be optional.

Nintendo should be looking to price themselves downwards, they don't really have to replace these devices in the future, it could be more like the original gameboy, in that they keep redesigning the hardware, but they never really drop support for the original. The console will also probably be 4x as powerful as the handheld in raw numbers (not including clocks) What I am talking about here is driving different resolutions in the same architecture with the same performance; because this is likely the goal with these devices, the handheld being a qHD screen (quarter full HD) or 540p (basically vita resolution) is likely, as the console will probably target 1080p (it could support more than this most likely as any modern AMD card does, but this would be their target resolution for first party titles)

Likely specs for Handheld:

Low end $149 no Wii U BC

• AMD APU /w 2 AMD CPU cores (A57 ARM) and 2 CUs (128ALUs) built on 20nm or AMD's current processor node for 2016.
  • RAM 1GB +10MB edram (2MB L2 and 8MB L3 APU cache)
  • 8GB flash for OS + SD card slot

High end $199 /w Wii U BC

• AMD APU /w 4 AMD CPU cores (likely A57 ARM cores) and 4 CUs (256ALUs) built on 20nm or 14nm based on AMD's current (2016) mobile APU chips.
  • RAM 2GB +36MB edram ( 4MB L2 and 32MB L3 APU cache)
  • 8GB flash for OS and an SD card for added storage

Remember, the console will likely spec 4x these numbers, so it would look something like this:

Low end $199 /w Wii U BC and Gamepad

• AMD APU /w 8 CPU cores (A57 ARM) and 8 CUs (512ALUs) built on AMD's current processor node for 2017 (16nm or 14nm) GPU would be clocked higher than the handheld's GPU and would allow for added effects with 1ghz being likely, so 1Tflop of power (XB1 would be ~30% more powerful)
  • RAM 8GB DDR4 +36MB edram (4MB L2 and 32MB L3 APU cache) density is higher on DDR4 and APUs benefit from the extra bandwidth a lot, it's lower power and would be cheaper than DDR3 at this point
  • 32GB flash for OS and user + SD card slot and USB HDD external options

High end $249 /w Wii U BC and Gamepad

• AMD APU /w 8+ CPU cores and 16 CUs (1024ALUs) built on AMD's current processor node for 2017, GPU would be clocked higher than handheld, likely 1GHz or higher, giving it 2Tflops 10% more power than PS4.
  • RAM 8GB to 16GB DDR4 +36MB edram (or more)
  • 32GB to 64GB flash for OS with SD and USB storage options

There is certainly other things that could happen, these are likely set ups for the devices based on AMD products, Nintendo using an abstract layer means that customizing hardware won't yield similar results as before, so off the shelf parts are nearly guaranteed minus some light customization for specific hardware emulation.

Nintendo's goal should be to sell as much hardware as possible, release a single Devkit for both devices so developers build 1 game to release on both, this would combined their handheld and console market, which would greatly increase Nintendo's visibility to 3rd parties, just taking a quick look at the current generation hardware, these are the numbers:

• 3DS: ~45 Million
  • PS4: 10 Million
  • Vita: ~8 Million
  • Wii U: ~7 Million
  • XB1: ~5 Million

If Nintendo's current hardware was 1 architecture, developers would release one title for both devices at once, meaning that making a game for Nintendo's platform would target 52 Million gamers today, 3rd parties would also be able to bridge the gap of mobile and traditional gaming by targeting 3DS's successor and wouldn't worry about touch controls as Wii U's successor would still likely carry the gamepad. This is Nintendo's only real chance to get back 3rd parties, and even if they don't come, Nintendo droughts would be gone. Nintendo releases ~25 titles a year, this would increase resources and allow for even more titles yearly but even with just ~25 titles a year, that is ~2 titles a month + 3rd party and indie support (3rd party support Nintendo receives today, such as Sega, Namco, Ubisoft, Activision)

The above paragraph isn't really speculation, it is an analyst of Nintendo's stated plans and what fruits it would grow.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
#135 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4969 posts) -

Nintendo did say that the "days of" selling 30,000 yen consoles and 20,000 yen handhelds may be over, hinting that they're next systems will be sub $300 and sub $200 for handhelds.

But I'd love it if they chose an AMD APU. Holiday 2017, 8-core to 12-core CPU/3-4TFlop GPU/12GB-16GB RAM for $249-$299 with a traditional controller based on Wii U Pro controller and I'd be down.

#136 Posted by charizard1605 (74660 posts) -

@bonesawisready5 said:

Nintendo did say that the "days of" selling 30,000 yen consoles and 20,000 yen handhelds may be over, hinting that they're next systems will be sub $300 and sub $200 for handhelds.

But I'd love it if they chose an AMD APU. Holiday 2017, 8-core to 12-core CPU/3-4TFlop GPU/12GB-16GB RAM for $249-$299 with a traditional controller based on Wii U Pro controller and I'd be down.

You know better than to bump up old threads. Don't do it again.