Should Nintendo make more powerful console "next gen" ?

• 132 results
Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2106 posts) 1 month, 20 hours ago

Poll: Should Nintendo make more powerful console "next gen" ? (72 votes)

Yes. Powerful console, high price 71%
No. Weak console, low price 29%

I like some Wii U games but i wish graphics was better. It´s sad that Wii U is so weak console, same weak as PS3 even when it´s next gen console.

Think... if Wii U was same powerful like PS4, then Mario and Zelda games would look amazing.

Right now Wii U games:

But if Wii U was powerful like PS4, then graphics would look like this:

Nintendo made mistake and sacrificed console power and made GamePad that costs 150 euros alone. It´s such a shame that Nintendo was hoping on Wii success. I hope they drop this stupid gamepad idea, all this stupid gimmic and make more powerful console with online.

#51 Posted by charizard1605 (55982 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

I wouldn't say that Nintendo needs here next system to be on par with Xbox One/PS4, Nintendo really needs to have there next system equip Blu-Ray drive in order to meet 3rd parties support at this rate, Blu-Ray discs holds lots of data and the Wii U does not have such is the reason why 3rd parties are not supporting it. Just like OhSnapitz stated, it was poorly advertise at E3 2011 and when launch, there were no killer app games at the time but as I said, Nintendo needs a Blu-Ray drive and more HD space in order to meet 3rd party demands. Remember power does not make you the better console, it's the games that deliver more fun.

Nintendo supports a 'proprietary disc format' that holds up to 25GB of data on a single layer, 50GB on a dual layer. It's a Blu Ray in all but name, it's not the reason third parties skipped on supporting Wii U.

I didn't know that. Don't tell me you really think Nintendo next system should be powerful like Xbox One/PS4? I really think there doing fine now that the Exclusive games are coming out, they need to just continue to hype there games.

I think the next Nintendo system needs to be at least within the same ballpark as an Xbox Two/PS5, yes. Either that, or they would need to catch lightning in a bottle again like they did with the DS/Wii, and that really will not be happening and is a risky gamble anyway.

#52 Edited by ZombeGoast (409 posts) -

Is that really a solution when the Gamecube was arguably better than the Xbox? Which also didn't have strong 3rd party support.

#53 Edited by hiphops_savior (7856 posts) -

@ZombeGoast: Being mocked for looking like a purple lunch box isn't going to do you a lot of favours. Though in hindsight, it's pretty darn clever when you need to bring it to your friends house to play Melee.

#54 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6364 posts) -

If we were to go for the ideal. I would say that they should indeed go for a higher end console NeXT gen, one to compete directly with the other consoles.

However! that alone would do very Little. Nintendo need to repair the relations with alot of third party devs, AND come out around the same time frame.

Nintendo always does Things with thier control inputs, they litkely will Again, and that is part of what makes Nintendo, Nintendo for me. That is not something that Works well with third party, so they might have to bite the dust and have two controllers in the box (to thier credit they did that to a range of Wii U's aswell, hence why I always thought slaming on the Wii U controller was a fairly moot point).

A few more Things that could be done from Nintendos point. Make really good working relations with SEGA, Square Enix, and maybe outright buy Capcom. for a solid 2nd party base to support thier first party, build specifically for the console, and hopefully repaired 3rd party for the majority, using universal standard.

In truth what we are looking at then, is a major loss of Cash even if sucessful most likely, unless it will be very expensive. But I am almost seeing it as worth it.

#55 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7189 posts) -

I like how you picked out shitty, obviously compressed screenshots.

But, yes, Nintendo should make a powerful console next generation that can handle multiplats. The architecture should probably be similar to PC. That, or Nintendo needs to find a way for developers to easily port their x86 code to the console. More than anything else, Nintendo needs to get their messaging right. If they can do that and have a good balance between price, power, and the gimmick that sets it apart from its competitors, they'll be in good shape.

#56 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3467 posts) -

You mean like how every gen has more powerful systems?

#57 Edited by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

Is that really a solution when the Gamecube was arguably better than the Xbox? Which also didn't have strong 3rd party support.

Not really. MS Xbox was still new to the gamers at the time, MS only best exclusive was Halo which revolutionize FPS back then but Xbox did had some good 3rd parties as well Gamecube. MS just took some of the gamers attention only because Xbox was new to them.

#58 Posted by hehe101 (602 posts) -

it wouldnt help imo, I think that the 3rd party support isn't even going to help.

#59 Posted by aroxx_ab (9263 posts) -

Nintendo should not make hardware at all, they should go the way Sega did, make games for Sony and MS.

#60 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3736 posts) -

The GameCube never got third party because of the stupid 1.4GB mini discs it used. Most multiplats were made with 4.5GB DVD's in mind. Hence why GC missed out on a lot of games at the time.

#61 Edited by Zethrickk382 (134 posts) -

I'd rather them go third party if Microsoft doesn't drop out after this gen. I can't help but think a Sony and Nintendo only gen would be very nice though.

#62 Posted by farrell2k (5801 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Nintendo should not make hardware at all, they should go the way Sega did, make games for Sony and MS.

Nintendo was the only one that actually made money in gaming the past 12 years. This makes zero sense.

#63 Posted by foxhound_fox (87640 posts) -

If they want to appeal more to third parties, unfortunately, they are going to have to put more power into their platform. So they won't be able to produce the sought after $300 price point that's perfect for a gaming console. They will also probably have to give up on most console gaming standards and turn their platform into yet another gimped PC that moves the console platform even more forwards towards oblivion.

#64 Posted by ZombeGoast (409 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: That didn't stop developers from making games for the Xbox 360.

#65 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3736 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: That didn't stop developers from making games for the Xbox 360.

Most games last gen were under 8GB. PS3 games just took advantage of the space and used uncompressed audio/video. It was different then.

#66 Posted by B4X (3564 posts) -

Yes.. At least on par with PS4 / X1...with a familiar architecture. Make the system as easy as possible to develop for.

#67 Edited by Celsius765 (656 posts) -

they should but I wonder can they? I know people say Nintendo has a lot of money and they do but not as much as Sony and Microsoft I think

#68 Posted by ZombeGoast (409 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: If more power is going to attract more 3rd party developers, then why are we seeing The Crew coming out for the Xbox 360? As well as many other games to last gen systems even though its weaker than the Wii U? You can argue that its from the poor software sales but these publishers treat the WIi U version as a black sheep instead of marketing the game.

#69 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3683 posts) -

Nintendo does not need the most powerful console. They can STILL have the least graphic intensive console as long as they have other advantages like load times, draw distances, etc. Power does not always equal graphics. They can and WILL get support as long as they have hardware that is on par in all other departments. However, I personally think it would be a good idea.... problem is that they will more than likely release their next console FIRST, giving the others time to "tweak" theirs and make them even stronger. IF Nintendo makes a big comeback with the WiiU, then I think they should release the next Nintendo last or right in the middle and SHOCK everyone with specs no one would have imagined. Then if they locked down a couple exclusives and the likes they could dominate. SONY has proved this gen the power of nostalgia, and Nintendo probably has them beat ;) Give the fans what they want and watch them swarm.

#70 Posted by foxhound_fox (87640 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: If more power is going to attract more 3rd party developers, then why are we seeing The Crew coming out for the Xbox 360? As well as many other games to last gen systems even though its weaker than the Wii U? You can argue that its from the poor software sales but these publishers treat the WIi U version as a black sheep instead of marketing the game.

It's one of the major things third party's are citing is keeping them away from the Wii U. It's a bunch of bullshit, but that's their reasoning. Also, the small install base (which really isn't small per se, and might have been improved with more third party support from the beginning).

#71 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8203 posts) -

3rd parties want a larger install base. People want more 3rd party support before they buy. It's kind of a cycle. When 3rd parties did release games in wiiu they always seemed to be missing dlc or other features.

#72 Posted by Seabas989 (10100 posts) -

Yes but they also need to make their next console developer friendlier and improve their online.

#73 Posted by Telekill (4393 posts) -

Weak or strong doesn't matter to me so long as they ditch motion controls as the primary function of the damn thing. I hate the Wii controller. The forced motion controls ruined Skyward Sword for me and was THE reason I didn't bother even liking at WiiU.

Give me a traditional gamepad as the primary controller or they should go third party. So long as gimmicky motion control crap is their primary control function, I won't buy any of their systems.

#74 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47: You don't need power to make a game. The don't need to try to make something sooooo detailed. They can go back to the good old days when people just made fun games without caring about pushing today's technologies. The Harddrive thing is pointless, we don't need games to be mandatory to install. That something that pisses me off about the Xbox One and PS4. I myself would never force my game to be installed, unless it was on PC of course lol. As for the online, that has no effect on making a great single player game. Like Red Steel 1 and 2 on the Wii for example. But most 3rd parties just want to make the same formula, a violent game with guns and zombies with multiplayer.

#75 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: Xbox One is 33% stronger then Wii U, PS4 is 50% stronger then Wii U, that makes the PS4 roughly 17% stronger then Xbox One. As a developer who has worked on all 3 of the console's dev kits I know my shit.

Mario and Zelda look worse then the PS4? How does 2 games look worse then a console? The PS4 is not a game....(I know what you meant) and Infamous Second Son is the ONLY impressive looking PS4 game currently out. No other PS4 game looks any better then PS3 games. And if you honestly think Mario 3D World and Windwaker HD or Zelda Wii U looks bad then you need to either get new glasses, or take of your graphic whore goggles then look again.

I fail to see how "Better graphics" on Smash Bros would do anything? I see nothing wrong with it as is. You want more detailed characters? Why they move so fast you don't even pay attention? Sakurai makes the game the way HE WANTS. He has no interest in having OMFG DEM GRAPHICS!!!

Wii U graphics limited? Your basing that off lazy 3rd parties who are to pathetic to learn how to use the damn system cause they can't just copy and paste a game over. They would have to learn to optimize it. 3rd parties are lazy when it comes to learning the Wii U. It's like when you get a new phone, you have to learn how it works and where everything is on it, but since the PS4 and Xbox One are similar they stay in their comfort zone and don't touch the Wii U. Not to mention the bias the industry has against Nintendo anyway.

#76 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4028 posts) -

I don't think it's necessary for them. I think they seem to be doing a good job with the current gen hardware they have. I don't think they'll need a massive jump next time. And it won't be expensive either.

Also I'm not really impressed with Sony and MSs so called next gen performance jump, so I think Nintendo can comfortably concentrate on interesting interfaces now

The most important thing they can do with regards to the hardware next gen is make sure the 3rd parties are happy with it. Don't tell them you want to give them a shit CPU to keep the form factor small (reduced heat output) like you did for the Wii U. Dumbest reason ever.

It's just like with the Wii, it's unnecessary. With the Wii they didn't need to cheap out on the GPU that much, the thing couldn't even do anti aliasing well if at all. If they cheaped out anymore, they would've had to raid the science museum for some historical piece of crap. The same with the Wii U CPU, they didn't need to cheap out on the CPU that much, developers tried to tell them.

#77 Posted by jsmoke03 (12743 posts) -

i think they should compete in that space instead of being the second option low priced console

#78 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

Wheres the option for "decent power.....decent price"?

For 2 gens now they've done their own thing....they got lucky last gen...regarding sales of the console, but it's biting them in the ass this go around. They need to make a good console with not the wonky controller so that once again....ppl will have a console that A. has all the Nintendo games you want and B. Has the 3rd party games you want.

I seriulsy would buy a Nintendo console if I thought 3rd party devs and publishers would put their games on it.

#79 Edited by Zelda187 (715 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Yes, make it more generic. That's what we need.

Well...yeah, pretty much.

The lack of power isn't even the biggest issue for me.

It's the physical hardware and the lack of 3rd party games. The controller designs for Nintendo consoles dating back to the N64 look like they were designed by a deranged lunatic on an acid trip.

I still think that the Gamecube could've been a much bigger success if it wasn't for the shitastic controller design and the beyond stupid decision to incorporate those 8 cm discs.

The NES and SNES controller designs were flawless, and then Nintendo decided to "innovate" and get "creative" and make a bunch of goofy shit that feels totally awkward in your hands.

#80 Posted by GotNugz (655 posts) -

If they release a WiiU successor in 2017 then it should at least pack something as powerful as a 290x gpu and high end core I5 cpu. In 2017 they could easily launch at 299 and make some profit.

#81 Posted by GotNugz (655 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools: you're not a developer, and if by the small chance that you are then the industry is in trouble.

WiiU - triple core cpu @1.3ghz, dx10 class gpu 300gflops, 2gb ddr3.

PS4 - 8 cores cpu @1.7ghz, DX11 class gpu GCN with 1840gflops, 8GB GDDR5 ram.

Yup only 50% stronger.

#82 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (272 posts) -

Nintendo already stated they are going to tough it out and attempt to alter the marketing. It's better than doing a Sega by dropping one and supporting a new one like they did with 32x/Saturn/CD..etc. But I think Wii U has good graphics in a more whimsical way. They are very bright, colorful and crisp with a clean aesthetic. I just think they should have not made the tablet thing or just made an app so they can use their own tablet or smartphone instead. I originally hoped to see an improved Wiimote with an analogue or precise trackpad on it instead.

#84 Posted by super600 (30284 posts) -

If we were to go for the ideal. I would say that they should indeed go for a higher end console NeXT gen, one to compete directly with the other consoles.

However! that alone would do very Little. Nintendo need to repair the relations with alot of third party devs, AND come out around the same time frame.

Nintendo always does Things with thier control inputs, they litkely will Again, and that is part of what makes Nintendo, Nintendo for me. That is not something that Works well with third party, so they might have to bite the dust and have two controllers in the box (to thier credit they did that to a range of Wii U's aswell, hence why I always thought slaming on the Wii U controller was a fairly moot point).

A few more Things that could be done from Nintendos point. Make really good working relations with SEGA, Square Enix, and maybe outright buy Capcom. for a solid 2nd party base to support thier first party, build specifically for the console, and hopefully repaired 3rd party for the majority, using universal standard.

In truth what we are looking at then, is a major loss of Cash even if sucessful most likely, unless it will be very expensive. But I am almost seeing it as worth it.

I think nintendo is going for the somewhat powerful(around PS4/XB1 power), but cheap route next gen. They priced the Wiiu way to high and try to build their own market.

#85 Posted by GotNugz (655 posts) -

@super600: it will most certainly be more powerful than the already underpowered ps4/xo. In 2018 it would be difficult to make a console that weak.

#86 Edited by ZombeGoast (409 posts) -

@GotNugz:

The Wii U was announced in 2011 long after DX11 came out and DX10 being obsolete. And the number of cores and clockspeed doesn't determined how powerful the system is. And I have yet to use more than 4.5gb of ram in a PC game.

#87 Edited by HernandeZzzz (144 posts) -

@super600 said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

I think nintendo is going for the somewhat powerful(around PS4/XB1 power), but cheap route next gen. They priced the Wiiu way to high and try to build their own market.

Yeah, kinda hard to believe but my Wii U cost me more than my PS4. €350 for the console + €50 for a Pro Controller and another €70 for an Hard Drive. And before anyone says it, no, I don't consider an HDD or a regular controller "optional" so don't bother trying to convince me otherwise.

It's not a cheap system to have, period. Granted, the online features are free, but they also suck balls (no free games, either)...

#88 Posted by super600 (30284 posts) -

@GotNugz said:

@super600: it will most certainly be more powerful than the already underpowered ps4/xo. In 2018 it would be difficult to make a console that weak.

It depends on the price point they are aiming for. If the console costs $250 or $299 it may or may not be more powerful than the ps4 and/or xb1. If the console costs $199 I highly doubt it will be more powerful than the xb1 and ps4.

#89 Edited by aroxx_ab (9263 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Nintendo was the only one that actually made money in gaming the past 12 years. This makes zero sense.

Nintendo getting worse and worse. Now not even Ubisoft make games for them...It is no point buy a system with only like 3 games for the whole lifetime that is worth to play on it...so yeah that make good sense. Just because NIntendo make money from overpriced crap hardware doesnt mean it is good from a consumer standpoint.

#90 Posted by magicalclick (22438 posts) -

No, I don't need another PS4 or XboxOne. Two is already a crowd.

#91 Posted by farrell2k (5801 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

@farrell2k said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Nintendo getting worse and worse. Now not even Ubisoft make games for them...It is no point buy a system with only like 3 games for the whole lifetime that is worth to play on it...so yeah that make good sense. Just because NIntendo make money from overpriced crap hardware doesnt mean it is good from a consumer standpoint.

I am starting to sympathize with this point of view, and am considering getting rid of my wiiu.

#92 Edited by superbuuman (2679 posts) -

More powerful = cost more, also games will cost even more so no...the only mistakes with Wii U was Nintendo using a weak sauce cpu & the stupid $150+ useless tablet controller. Unify the controller!..don't make devs have to program with 3 or 4 different controllers. :P

#93 Posted by GotNugz (655 posts) -

@superbuuman: it's not even a quad core, it's a weak in-order triple core that is a good deal slower than Xenon.

#94 Posted by Big_Pecks (5245 posts) -

Duh. Better graphics is always a better option.

#95 Edited by superbuuman (2679 posts) -

@GotNugz said:

@superbuuman: it's not even a quad core, it's a weak in-order triple core that is a good deal slower than Xenon.

Oh man that's even worse..thanks for the correction.

#96 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2723 posts) -

@GotNugz said:

@Master_Of_Fools: you're not a developer, and if by the small chance that you are then the industry is in trouble.

WiiU - triple core cpu @1.3ghz, dx10 class gpu 300gflops, 2gb ddr3.

PS4 - 8 cores cpu @1.7ghz, DX11 class gpu GCN with 1840gflops, 8GB GDDR5 ram.

Yup only 50% stronger.

Why take fake devs seriously any newb could tell he was full of shit. Power is the least of Nintendo's problems. No 3rd party support is the major problem IMO. A close second is the online gaming support. The lack of features standard on other consoles is another. At least have a hard drive 32gb in a next gen console is a joke. The price of the wii u is another major issue. As seen with the x180 when the price dropped sales improved drastically.

#97 Posted by silversix_ (14058 posts) -

This shouldn't be a question at this point. It should be equally as powerful as the other two, do everything possible to get ALL 3rd party and then their system cannot fail (unless of course its priced at $500+). If they don't do this, well, gl Nintendo...

#98 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47: Fake? I spent over $10,000 last October to open my Studio, I'm an Indie Dev, I had to put myself in fucking debt, you arrogant puppet. Yeah I'm nobody special, but that is irrelevant. Believe if you want I frankly don't care, all I know is day after day I go to my studio then design characters, stages/levels, enviroments and all that good stuff. I'm the boss, lead designer and lead supervisor.

#99 Posted by Heirren (16512 posts) -

It would be nice but at this point I don't see how it is necessary. I'm not making the games. I'm on the side that hardware should evolve when game design feels it is necessary. When I look at what is on and upcoming on ps4/xone, I don't see much of an evolution. Sure, Witcher 3 is X amount bigger than Witcher 2, but it still plays essentially the same. I'm also not saying I wouldn't like to see it. Of course it would be great to get much better hardware. In Nintendos case though, there is great risk involved.

#100 Posted by farrell2k (5801 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47: Fake? I spent over $10,000 last October to open my Studio, I'm an Indie Dev, I had to put myself in fucking debt, you arrogant puppet. Yeah I'm nobody special, but that is irrelevant. Believe if you want I frankly don't care, all I know is day after day I go to my studio then design characters, stages/levels, enviroments and all that good stuff. I'm the boss, lead designer and lead supervisor.

That's interesting. What are you working on?