Should Nintendo make a Steam-esque "Nintendoville" service?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by YoYo278 (432 posts) -

Nintendo is making a loss on one of it's consoles, and struggling to sell the other one at all.

People may talk about Nintendo being inevitably bought out by Sony or another jaapanese company, but this is unlikely due to the clout that comes with their back catalogue of games.

Given they have 400+ first party games published to their name in the past 30 years, should they not instead make a Steam-like service called "Nintendoville" or something equally cheesy for 3rd party hardware platforms, that they can release all past games on? This way they could even retroactively add DLC to Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time etc. to say profitable. 

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (31577 posts) -
It already exists :lol: Wiiware\VC
#3 Posted by charizard1605 (60992 posts) -
3DS is sold at a profit, and it sold 30 million in less than two years, in addition to MAMMOTH software sales. They're making so much money on that front it's not even funny.
#4 Posted by YoYo278 (432 posts) -

3DS is sold at a profit, and it sold 30 million in less than two years, in addition to MAMMOTH software sales. They're making so much money on that front it's not even funny.charizard1605

30 million people have bought one? Man, what a bunch of jokers. Let's not lose our heads though; it's still hardly making a profit and will have to face a price cut soon with the incoming VITA price cut.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (60992 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]3DS is sold at a profit, and it sold 30 million in less than two years, in addition to MAMMOTH software sales. They're making so much money on that front it's not even funny.YoYo278

30 million people have bought one? Man, what a bunch of jokers. Let's not lose our heads though; it's still hardly making a profit and will have to face a price cut soon with the incoming VITA price cut.

It's been profitable for them on the hardware front for all but eleven months of its life; on the software front, it experiences massive sales. The 3DS alone could keep Nintendo afloat for the next five years.
#6 Posted by lamprey263 (25398 posts) -
they should but they won't, they've some of the worst digital rights, though they're coming around to the idea of rights transfers it's still one of the most convoluted processes and requires having access to both consoles, they're still unable to tie rights to an online account even though each game you buy digitally automatically registers to your Nintendo Club account
#7 Posted by charizard1605 (60992 posts) -
they should lamprey263
Why?
#8 Posted by Masterx1220 (2423 posts) -

dont we aready have enough of these steam-esque type services?

#9 Posted by lamprey263 (25398 posts) -
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]they should charizard1605
Why?

I think I misread the question, I thought "Steam-esque" as in a strong online digital retail system for the Wii U, in that sense I mean they should, but like I said they can but won't.
#10 Posted by charizard1605 (60992 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]they should lamprey263
Why?

I think I misread the question, I thought "Steam-esque" as in a strong online digital retail system for the Wii U, in that sense I mean they should, but like I said they can but won't.

They're already well on their way; as soon as they fix their ridiculous DRM, I think they'll be pretty good. Of course, that assumes that they actually will fix their DRM, and for some reason, I'm not too confident that they will...
#11 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]3DS is sold at a profit, and it sold 30 million in less than two years, in addition to MAMMOTH software sales. They're making so much money on that front it's not even funny.YoYo278

Keep trying bro

#12 Posted by Yrkoon99 (463 posts) -

nintendo cant even get releasing old games on their current consoles right, i buy tons of dd only games on my ps3,psp,vita and pc but i wont buy a single thing of nintendos online store.

nintendo link all purchases not to the account that bought them but the console, lose the console in a house fire tough luck buy all your games again.

steam,greenman gaming,psn download your games to any system your logged into. see a difference?

got a 4 gig card in my 3ds and wii and their blank while my 16 gig vita one is full with games. i could easy fill a 32 gig vita mem stick with just games, my phone has 40 gig of videos and music so none of that on the vita just games :)

#13 Posted by sonic_spark (4767 posts) -

nintendo cant even get releasing old games on their current consoles right, i buy tons of dd only games on my ps3,psp,vita and pc but i wont buy a single thing of nintendos online store.

nintendo link all purchases not to the account that bought them but the console, lose the console in a house fire tough luck buy all your games again.

steam,greenman gaming,psn download your games to any system your logged into. see a difference?

got a 4 gig card in my 3ds and wii and their blank while my 16 gig vita one is full with games. i could easy fill a 32 gig vita mem stick with just games, my phone has 40 gig of videos and music so none of that on the vita just games :)

Yrkoon99

I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (60992 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yrkoon99"]

sonic_spark

It is
#15 Posted by Yrkoon99 (463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

[QUOTE="Yrkoon99"]

charizard1605

It is

it is

http://kotaku.com/5982965/nintendo-fan-is-unhappy-with-nintendos-200-answer-to-his-400-wii-u-problem

see

#16 Posted by towny_ (125 posts) -

No, I don't think so, this will lower the sales of their current devices.

#17 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

The problem with Virtual Console is that it offers no advantage to the consumer-- and in fact, it has the major disadvantage of being limited to being useable on Nintendo's platforms. If Nintendo were to offer old games on other systems, they will have to try harder than just trying to sell people what they've already been using on their PCs and smartphones for years now for little to no cost.

Example: if Nintendo wanted to sell me the original Legend of Zelda on my smart phone, it can't just be a straight port, because I already have that. It needs to be something better, that only Nintendo can offer-- look at Mega Man 9 from Capcom, for example. It had the old graphics we all know from the classic Megaman games, but it still managed to be something fresh, and exciting.

If Nintendo wanted to sell The Legend of Zelda on Google Play, it would need to have some very exciting new goodies that will actually take some effort from Nintendo. A straight port probably wouldn't sell well, but a remake with new graphics, remixed music, remixed dungeons, achievements, the ability to play as Princess Zelda, leaderboards of some kind, facebook connectivity, a multiplayer mode, etc... That would be the type of thing people would get excited about and throw money at.

Just porting old NES and SNES games isn't enough when emulators are amongst the most popular apps purchased off of Google Play, and a major reason why people jailbreak their iPhones. There is just plain no way Nintendo can compete with that head-on, especially when Nintendo's official re-releases costs 5 bucks a pop. If they want to compete in the wild west that is the smart device and multiplatform markets, they are going to have to give people value that they can't get anywhere else, and that means putting in some actual effort instead of just selling old ROMs.

#18 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
[QUOTE="YoYo278"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]3DS is sold at a profit, and it sold 30 million in less than two years, in addition to MAMMOTH software sales. They're making so much money on that front it's not even funny.charizard1605

It's been profitable for them on the hardware front for all but eleven months of its life; on the software front, it experiences massive sales. The 3DS alone could keep Nintendo afloat for the next five years.

Thats what I keep telling people!