Should Nintendo be Politically Correct?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Nintendo be Politically Correct? (56 votes)

Yes 14%
No 84%

After the wake of the suppose Tomodachi controversy, it has me realize that Nintendo is always politically incorrect! If same-sex marriages aren't in Tomodachi, then why aren't colored characters in Mario Kart 8? I mean, I understand that there are Reptiles, and two monkeys, but the majority of the Mushroom Kingdom are all White! Does Nintendo not understand that their are more people other than white people? I am OUTRAGED!

Before anyone says that Toad and Toadette aren't human, their skin color is still white! And Peach is white!

/sarcasm

• 
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It's Nintendo. They get hate from every little thing they do these days.

What else is new?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

This implies that not having same sex couples is politically wrong.

For what they did, there's no reason to apologize. Everyone chastises Nintendo on their den mother views but then act surprised when they simply make a choice that reflects traditional methods of game creation and try to twist it into a political statement.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

They made a decision to limit the choices humans could have in their relationships in a game. It would have been just as easy to include the option as to disclude it, and people who don't swing that way could then ignore it. So they made a miscalculation.

I don't think they are evil nor do I think they need to be "politically correct", I just think they need to move with the times.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

They should give u ability to hook up with the characters in animal crossing.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

they have done nothing wrong. same sex marriages are not the norm and how many f1 drivers are not white? i seriously havnt seen one

#teamninty

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@AutoPilotOn said:

They should give u ability to hook up with the characters in animal crossing.

You're right! They probably also have something against Furries!

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: now if they made a basketball or football game with all white players I'd start to wonder.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

No they shouldn't. Just to piss of liberals and gay activists.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireEmblem_Man

@DocSanchez said:

They made a decision to limit the choices humans could have in their relationships in a game. It would have been just as easy to include the option as to disclude it, and people who don't swing that way could then ignore it. So they made a miscalculation.

I don't think they are evil nor do I think they need to be "politically correct", I just think they need to move with the times.

It's a game for children......

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I hate these PC people.

They keep going on about how things should be, and what you should do about it. What these PC people don't get is that there are individuals out there that just don't care about what they keep raving on about. It's not worth getting into for them.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@freedomfreak said:

I hate these PC people.

They keep going on about how things should be, and what you should do about it. What these PC people don't get is that there are individuals out there that just don't care about what they keep raving on about. It's not worth getting into for them.

How is it a PC thing? There are self-righteous, politically correct, and Eurphoric console gamers too

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
@FireEmblem_Man said:

How is it a PC thing? There are self-righteous, politically correct, and Eurphoric console gamers too

Yeah... Well, you are a poopy face!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@freedomfreak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yeah... Well, you are a poopy face!

No.....

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
@FireEmblem_Man said:

No.....

Nice tits.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man

@freedomfreak said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

No.....

Nice tits.

Yeah, I wish I could find a better pic with bigger boobs

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By freedomfreak
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yeah, I wish I could find a better pic with bigger boobs

Well, I'm not gonna look up "poopie boobs" to find out.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I don't think PC has anything to do with it. I think there is more a disconnect with Nintendo being very insular and closed off from the world. How can you be PC or not PC when you are so out of touch you don't even really realize that it exists.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#18 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

How dare Nintendo not keep in line for the open-minded, tolerant, secular PC police. To remedy this, Nintendo needs to create 196 new characters, each one to represent each country in the world. Every religion in the world, every kind of sexual preference, and every single viewpoint imaginable on every hot political issue needs to be conveyed in their games, but only if it extols liberal ideology, the kind that the media force-feeds the masses to turn them into nice little wind-up toys. Otherwise, Nintendo should just hang it up and cease to exist. Since when did such shaming and thought slavery become "free-thinking" and "tolerance?"

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

No they don't, they have the freedom to make whatever they want. They should not have to adjust to the loud minority to change their own game. If the loud minority really is mad about it, they have every right to not buy the game.

It would just really piss me off if I was making a game, and the universe I created got flooded by liberal agenda telling me that "X race is missing from your game, you must be racist". This political correctness bull**** is getting out of control. If you're not with them, you're their enemy and a target of the same quality hatred they are trying to diminish.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Ain't nobody got time for dat.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

political correctness is a cancer on society. if your thinking this far into things, like skin color for example, then your the one with the problem not nintendo.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@ninjaxams said:

political correctness is a cancer on society. if your thinking this far into things, like skin color for example, then your the one with the problem not nintendo.

LOL! Really?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Should they go out of their way to appease everyone, not necessarily.

Should they have people who know better to say shit the way they did? Absolutely.

I'd chalk it up to Nintendo being a glorified relic behind the times, but shit PR isn't just a Nintendo thing. Especially when it comes to this type of stuff.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@DocSanchez said:

So? Are you saying that children shouldn't be exposed to same-sex relationships? :/

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

if every game included at least 1 playable character from every race or country in order to be politically correct the rosters would be way too big if you ask me. lol

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I got to thinking after that we also have to look at the track record. just about every time a Japanese centric company has made a game dealing with sexuality even in passing, not just homosexual but anything alternate or mature ( as in I don't consider gay as abnormal but some of those themes I do such as pedophilia or incest) all the way from birdo in super Mario 2 to the American version of Nier, every time American distribution has censored it at best, outright removed it at worst.

So we are also kind of to blame, or at least the higher ups in America for their disconnect on current sexual values of the little person in this part of the world.

Just saying......

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Given Nintendo's young audience, should Nintendo have to get involved with the politics that come with homosexuality? It's ok in adult games because their audience already understands these things. There is always going to be politics with this, and why should Nintendo have to force that in there. Their games are supposed to be sweet and innocent, not 'wtf are these two up to?'.

Imagine, you leave your kid playing a Nintendo game and after a busy day he/she is asking you what this gay thing is about and how it works. I don't imagine it's how you want them to learn about these things.

I'm not against gay people at all, but I think there are some natural limits they shouldn't really force.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I so want to post that scene from True Romance with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper, pretty sure I'd get modded to hell and back for it tho, lol.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

No. I have no problem with gays/lesbians or colored people, but just because these people exist shouldn't mean a company or person should be pressured into giving up the vision they have for the product they are creating by shoehorning characters in just to tick the minority's boxes. As long as there not going out of there way to needlessly attack these people the the vision should always come first.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

What is this garbage about colored characters in Nintendo now? Is this a new stormfort scheme or what?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Nintendo has every right to make their games the way they want. Don't like them, don't buy them it's pretty simple.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

People are really looking for something to bitch about when Nintendo's being called racist. If people want to make an all white cast, they should be able to. And it shouldn't automatically make everyone assume they're racist.

This is dumb.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Nintendo has the right to make games as they see fit. However, people also have the right to criticize their games. It is my opinion that same-sex marriage and relationships should have been included in Tomodachi. Clearly at this point because it was not indented to be include that cannot include it at this point. Making games inclusive has nothing to due with "political correctness" but has everything to do with accurately portraying reality and your player base. I'm sure there are plenty of people who identify as bisexual or homosexual who will feel disappointed and excluded when playing Tomodachi. Now look, I know some people are going to respond to this with "get over it" and "who cares?" but honestly it does matter. Many games do not provide the option to engage in same-sex relationships or play as homosexual, bisexual, transgender, etc. characters. Not being represented in one game is easy to ignore, but to be ignored in hundreds of games? That can be more difficult to deal with and starts to decrease your enjoyment of the medium as a whole.

I'm of the mindset that the inclusion of homosexual, bisexual, transgender etc. characters and relationships in video games harms nobody, the exclusion of them however does. The world is full of people who identify as homosexual, bisexual, and transgender why exclude them from video games and art? While I disagreed with Nintendo's initial actions, I am more than satisfied with their response. I wish people would stop hiding behind the concept of "political correctness" it isn't a political statement to support same-sex couples or people who identify as LGBTQ, that is called not being ignorant nor a bigot. If every time someone challenges your notion of what is morally right and decent and you continually oppose it by saying they are simply being "politically correct" well I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not investigating the matter further and questioning your own viewpoint.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

They should do whatever they want.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I think all nintendo games should have black/brown people so nintendo is racist. As a Black Hispanic man even I find that funny. Obviously people with unhappy lives are seeking to stop others from having fun simply playing a game. What is so amazing is how many other stories go by but dumb shit always makes the news.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Oh please.... we are comparing character design to .... given romance options to players..... in a game with a feature designed for that very purpose. yet disclude the option of same sex, despite it taking next to no work to f*cking introduce.

And you think adding token color characters is the same thing? jesus christ.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

@GamingGod999: well kinda. I don't see same sex relationships in children's cartoons.

WiiPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 WiiPants
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Yes. It's not the 80s anymore Nintendo. Back then you could get away with it because Steve Urkle was about the only minority in the world interested in gaming and gay themes or characters in any media from TV to games were basically non-existent.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nintendo is their own company. They can do whatever the hell they please just like any other company on planet Earth, people crying over PC bullshit can choose not to support them if their fragile sensibilities are hurt so much. I hold Nintendo in contempt for a lot of things, but this whole "gay Tomadachi" and "racist Mario Kart" stuff is just absurd. These people need to re-evaluate their priorities.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo is their own company. They can do whatever the hell they please just like any other company on planet Earth, people crying over PC bullshit can choose not to support them if their fragile sensibilities are hurt so much. I hold Nintendo in contempt for a lot of things, but this whole "gay Tomadachi" and "racist Mario Kart" stuff is just absurd. These people need to re-evaluate their priorities.

Well said.

tacoma1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 tacoma1972
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

No. Nintendo does not need to bend over for anyone. Freedom of choice over this PC bullshit. If fags are offended then it is their choice not to buy it, simple. That being said if it was included I would not care but I do care when a bunch of people cry and bitch for acceptance to the point where if we as individuals with our own opinions and choices are called out for not agreeing with their lifestyle choices.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

People saying "get with the times" are factually incorrect, as homosexuality has been a thing for centuries, and much more accepted in the past than it is now.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FireEmblem_Man

@GamingGod999 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@DocSanchez said:

So? Are you saying that children shouldn't be exposed to same-sex relationships? :/

Do you like the government raising your children?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@jake44 said:

They should do whatever they want.

Bingo. Just like everyone else. If no one has been directly, physically harmed by what you're doing, then nothing wrong has been done. End of story. **** political correctness and the fascist motherfucking thought-police pieces of shit who push it.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I said yes because everybody should at least attempt it. Not that they will, nor do I care, but its something that probably should be on everyone's mind just because it may stop with these stupid complaints on the subject.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

**** political correctness. I am so fed up with this garbage.

In this case, if minorities want to buy it, go for it. If not, not my loss.

In fact, I am pretty sure a small percentage of those minorities are the sensible one. And a smaller percentage wont buy the game for it. Nintendo is not losing anything. Let them cry, I enjoy their tears and laugh at their priorities in life.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@Giancar said:

**** political correctness. I am so fed up with this garbage.

In this case, if minorities want to buy it, go for it. If not, not my loss.

In fact, I am pretty sure a small percentage of those minorities are the sensible one. And a smaller percentage wont buy the game for it. Nintendo is not losing anything. Let them cry, I enjoy their tears and laugh at their priorities in life.

@coasterguy65 said:

Nintendo has every right to make their games the way they want. Don't like them, don't buy them it's pretty simple.

Pretty much where I am on the subject. There are other problems Ninty has, but this really isn't one of them.

Like I said though, they should at least try (like maybe put Piantasimmo or whatever the **** his name is in there next Kart or something). It wouldn't really hurt them to at least put some guys like that into the Kart series because they are all avatars for certain weight classes anyways. If they don't though nobody except the most ardent complainers would give a damn, so its nothing major.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 no-scope-AK47

@Bigboi500 said:

People saying "get with the times" are factually incorrect, as homosexuality has been a thing for centuries, and much more accepted in the past than it is now.

Slavery and genocide along with war crimes were also much more popular than homo's better bring them back as well.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@Bigboi500: Absolute bull shit.

Homosexuality has been around since before we were even humans that is true but it has not been accepted at all. You are full of baloney.