Should Nintendo Abandon the Wii U Gamepad?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

It starts around the 2:57 mark. He does bring up some good points, I haven't seen one game on the Wii U from Nintendo that takes full advantage of the Wii U gamepad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ZbRArSczk

What do you think? I personally really like what Nintendo has done with the gamepad, especially being able to use a map in Wind Waker/Assassin's Creed IV without pausing the game. But with the rise of Smart Glass and other tablet features, the other next-gen consoles will probably be getting similar features.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Wasn't there a thread on this about a week or two ago?

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

I dunno, I didn't see it

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

No. They should drop the whole thing.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I have to agree they really need to drop the innovative desire they have cause it's gonna cost them in the long run. Seriously if it ain't broke don't fix it, I don't think I could ever play a console w/o an actual controller or a PC game w/o a kb/m or if it's compatible with a controller.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I like the tablet controller. Being able to play off the screen and plug headphones into the controller is a great feature for a lot of family situations. Of all the things I don't like about the Wii U, the tablet controller isn't one of them.

idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 idill23
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts

Should of made it optional.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I mean, sure, they should adopt the more traditional approach to their console the next time, but for the Wii U, the tablet is integral. I really like what they have done with it.

Sure, I haven't actually played a game that utilized it beyond a glorified menu/inventory/map screen, but the convenience of that alone cannot be overstated. Plus, perhaps the most important thing the tablet controller brings to the game is Off TV Play, and that is one feature I like too much to have it dropped.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

How many gimmicks does a developer need to shove on the thing? Games like Pikmin and (I'm told) W101 make excellent use of it, without being overbearing.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

If they do, what is the purpose of WiiU? You can play your Mario's on 3ds and 720p on x1, ps3, 360. Without the pad its a 360 released 8y too late without 3rd party support.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@idill23 said:

Should of made it optional.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Nope. It's the only thing making it stand out against the PS4 and the Bone.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I love the controller. So no. Off-screen play and general menu navigation is really useful.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Hell no. It's the best controller this generation. I mean what other controller can I stream my game to? I love it. The screen quality is solid, and so is the overall build quality.

@darkspineslayer said:

How many gimmicks does a developer need to shove on the thing? Games like Pikmin and (I'm told) W101 make excellent use of it, without being overbearing.

IDK about Pikmin as I found the Wii Mote and nunchuck to be the best method of control for that game. 3d world does some cool stuff with it, without being shoved in your face. I still think ZombieU is the best use of it. I just enjoy being able to play my games on it when I got to bed.

@silversix_ said:

If they do, what is the purpose of WiiU? You can play your Mario's on 3ds and 720p on x1, ps3, 360. Without the pad its a 360 released 8y too late without 3rd party support.

I can play 3d world on 3DS? No. I can play Pikmin 3 on 3ds? No. Mario is in 1080p on the wii u, so I do not get the 720p com......o wait. I'm so sorry, it's silversix everyone.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_

@millerlight89 said:

Hell no. It's the best controller this generation. I mean what other controller can I stream my game to? I love it. The screen quality is solid, and so is the overall build quality.

@darkspineslayer said:

IDK about Pikmin as I found the Wii Mote and nunchuck to be the best method of control for that game. 3d world does some cool stuff with it, without being shoved in your face. I still think ZombieU is the best use of it. I just enjoy being able to play my games on it when I got to bed.

@silversix_ said:

it's silversix everyone.

Hello. How are you today? 3d world or not its still mario. you save the princess for the 74th time and collect mushrooms. How many copies did pikmin sold? that's how many care about the game so considering this game as one of those worth purchasing a wiiu for is lolno.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#18 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

The thing that makes it unique? Lol no. Love that thing and it has some cool features and benefits.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

The gamepad is the best thing about the Wii U. It has all of the buttons of a traditional controller, plus whatever the dev feels like putting on the touch screen - which can be a map, more buttons, a menu, inventory, or something unique.

Also, the gamepad is already an integral part of the Wii U; they can't just remove it. the system's firmware and every single game released so far would have to be updated to be able to work with a standard controller.

If they were to somehow drop the gamepad, then all they'd have is an underpowered console with a divided install base.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@millerlight89 said:

@darkspineslayer said:

@silversix_ said:

it's silversix everyone.

Hello. How are you today? 3d world or not its still mario. you save the princess for the 74th time and collect mushrooms. How many copies did pikmin sold? that's how many care about the game so considering this game as one of those worth purchasing a wiiu for is lolno.

Damn! You're really slow.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silversix_

@millerlight89 said:

@silversix_ said:

@millerlight89 said:

@darkspineslayer said:

@silversix_ said:

it's silversix everyone.

Damn! You're really slow.

DAMN!

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

The tablet controller is probably one of my favorite parts, instantly switching my inventory items out and not having to open a map is just amazing. There's really a lot of great things about it. I personally love the tablet controller.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The wii u pad is a bad idea why

1. Cost - the system would be much cheaper using a normal gamepad

2. There is only so it's not like you can use if freely

3. No game not even nintendo's have really used it

4. 3rd party devs are not going to spend money on a port to create content for the lcd

5. The system is by far the weakest and driving a second screen is sapping the already limited power

The wii u could be sold for 250 dollars using a standard controller and that IMO is a impulse buy and would in turn help the system get to the magic 199 price sooner and move units.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44543 Posts

no, the gamepad is a great feature for the system

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Nope, I love it. Fantastic uses for it in Nintendoland, ZombiU and Windwaker. 5 player matches in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed and then off screen play which I love and use all the time. I even used it for a few web functions too as it's bigger than my phone and I don't have a tablet.

Has been used very well already and has even more potential IMO.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

yup, its what costing the system..so innovative? yet so useless at the same time, don't mind if its drop. 1 game ZombiU have use it in a good way, & off screen play but not deal breaker. Either Nintendo starts using it in a meaningful way or just drop..& replace with 2 pro controllers...heck even go back to using wiimote. :p

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The Pad should not be entirely gone.

But I do think they should make the Gamepad completely optional.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's too late for that now. Better to hold out for a couple of years and then release a new platform.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

It starts around the 2:57 mark. He does bring up some good points, I haven't seen one game on the Wii U from Nintendo that takes full advantage of the Wii U gamepad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ZbRArSczk

What do you think? I personally really like what Nintendo has done with the gamepad, especially being able to use a map in Wind Waker/Assassin's Creed IV without pausing the game. But with the rise of Smart Glass and other tablet features, the other next-gen consoles will probably be getting similar features.

No developer will take full advantage of the gamepad.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It would be nice if Nintendo would bring some franchises to the console that would make better use of the pad like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, or something new.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I haven't played one game where it's made a bit of difference. Off screen play is it's only good point.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

Seems to be one every other week. Rinse, repeat.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

To appeal to the largest percentage of people they should release two SKUs. They can keep their current SKU with the Gamepad priced at $300 for the people that really like the Gamepad and they can release a second SKU that comes packed with the Pro controller instead of the Gamepad released for $250 or less for people that prefer a traditional controller and cheaper console. And then mandate that games be compatible with both the Gamepad and Pro controller.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

To appeal to the largest percentage of people they should release two SKUs. They can keep their current SKU with the Gamepad priced at $300 for the people that really like the Gamepad and they can release a second SKU that comes packed with the Pro controller instead of the Gamepad released for $250 or less for people that prefer a traditional controller and cheaper console. And then mandate that games be compatible with both the Gamepad and Pro controller.

I would probably just sell my Wii U if they did that.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

First motion gaming is taken over by xbox, then Sony creates a better way to link a handheld with a console. Leaving Nintendo with an inferior motion controller and a tethered second screen. Sure, they sort of innovate, but they half ass too much, allowing the competition to take over their gimmick. A ps4+vita is better than a wiiu.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I love the gamepad. I really like using the off-tv features of the WiiU.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By super600  Moderator

@silversix_ said:

@millerlight89 said:

@darkspineslayer said:

@silversix_ said:

it's silversix everyone.

Have you played super mario 3d world?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@joehult said:

First motion gaming is taken over by xbox, then Sony creates a better way to link a handheld with a console. Leaving Nintendo with an inferior motion controller and a tethered second screen. Sure, they sort of innovate, but they half ass too much, allowing the competition to take over their gimmick. A ps4+vita is better than a wiiu.

Even though the Wii U Gamepad wasn't INTENDED to be a handheld, but another controller? Seriously, if you're going to bring that up, compare it to GameCube/GBA linking, not the Wii U Gamepad.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By super600  Moderator

@joehult said:

The vita appeals to an even smaller group of people than the WiiU so not a lot of people will care about remote play so no one will ever buy both a ps4 and vita to use that feature because it's not afforadable and the vita is an unattractive product that can not be saved.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

No, I love having off screen play for nearly all of the games.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

It's too late for them now, but yes. The Wii U should have been a motion controls + classic controller pro package and optional remote play integration with the 3DS. It would have been way cheaper and price would have helped it quite a bit.

They got the right idea by making it compatible with all kids of Wii controllers. That was a spark of brilliance. But then they added that new controller that pushed the price right into the "Not a chance. I'll wait for a bunch of price drops" territory.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

So then their only selling point is what? We are a more expensive 360 but with less storage, less features, and a vastly inferior amount of games?

Do people ever think when they bring up this suggestion? Like how it would affect development decisions? Or what exactly would set it apart from older or even newer consoles

How do you sell it at that point?

Nintendo wii-u....we got less...like...nothing...at all...YEAH!!!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

gamepad is great...monster hunter 3...having the hud on the gamepad makes the game more beautiful on my tv...plus using the gamepad to search for items while im battling makes it more challenging. assasins creed also takes the hud off.

splinter cell black list and windwaker hd prove that having the pause menu with all your items much easier and fluid to use. instead of pausing the game.

off tv play is great..

also party minigames.... you cvant have party games with a normal controller it isnt as wacky and fun.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By silversix_

@super600: No. Im not going all crazy about Mario twice a year. But i've seen enough footage to know how it plays and how it plays doesn't interest me one bit. I'd enjoy Luigi's Mansion on 3ds more than this that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I feel they should have only had it as an optional add-on or not at all; I prefer the Pro Controller.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@silversix_ said:

I generally never agree with you but for the first time, I basically completely agree with you. Without the tablet, the system isn't useful for much of anything.

linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

nothing beat a real gaming controller.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@silversix_ said:

I generally never agree with you but for the first time, I basically completely agree with you. Without the tablet, the system isn't useful for much of anything.

Amount of games Nintendo has released where the tablet has been a meaningful addition to the game:

1: Wonderful 101

Just saying. But yes the thread title is ridiculous.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

@silversix_ said:

Amount of games Nintendo has released where the tablet has been a meaningful addition to the game:

They didn't really justify its usefulness for gaming. In the same notion though, I don't actually think the tablet is useful for gaming. Off screen play is a pretty nice addition though. I still think Nintendo could have banged out a stronger system if they dropped Wii backwards compatibility, went for off the shelf parts and said screw it to energy efficient design since all three of those things do not mean shit to anybody buying games back in 2011/2012 let alone now.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

@silversix_ said:

They didn't really justify its usefulness for gaming. In the same notion though, I don't actually think the tablet is useful for gaming. Off screen play is a pretty nice addition though. I still think Nintendo could have banged out a stronger system if they dropped Wii backwards compatibility, went for off the shelf parts and said screw it to energy efficient design since all three of those things do not mean shit to anybody buying games back in 2011/2012 let alone now.

True, but Nintendo. It's become a synonym for incompetence.