Should "next gen games" be more expensive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

My friends. Today I was on this "amazon" thing you people seem to use and saw this Creative Assembly video game, "aliens".

Upon viewing the prices my hart sank, shock ensued.

Can we explore, as a team, a logical reason beyond we want more money as to why it is almost double the price on "next generation" platforms?

My chumlings, it's worth noting, the pc version will probably be £29.99.

#2 Edited by locus-solus (486 posts) -

ouch £54.99/$90.45

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

Also my friends, no doubt, pre-order DLC. If you don't buy it at launch, taken out, and resold separately. Add another £6.99 on to that if you please.

#4 Edited by V3rciS (2207 posts) -

Dude is it first time you're witnessing a transition from one gen to another? Of course they will sell last gen games and hardware much cheaper than current gen.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

Dude is it first time you're witnessing a transition from one gen to another? Of course they will sell last gen games and hardware much cheaper than current gen.

My friend, I have primarily been a pc gamer for almost a decade. Since it's discovery consoles have been considered the lesser platforms. Perhaps this fresh perspective has made me more in tune with the shocking reality than simply accepting it as apparently, you have.

#6 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HQ0WNI4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1389977445&sr=8-2

#7 Posted by Krelian-co (10245 posts) -

i came expecting a highly moronic thread by uninspired cup, was not dissapointed.

#8 Edited by gameofthering (10095 posts) -

I can't remember what the prices of Wii & 360 games were at launch. I would never spend anywhere near £55 pound for just a game. I wasn't a huge PC gamer back when they launched. Just played the odd game of CSS.

I'm too used to spending on average £30 or less for games on the PC that I when I see prices that high, it frightens me!

#9 Edited by locus-solus (486 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

pc version £48.65/$80

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -
#11 Edited by Zassimick (6249 posts) -

Well I'd guess that if a couple of things are improved between the current gen versions of a game and the last gen versions, it takes a little more effort. Therefore, if gamers want to experience a game with better features over its last gen counterpart, publishers see it as an opportunity to offer the best version at a premium cost.

Do I agree with it? I don't blame them for charging more, but I won't be purchasing the games until they drop in price then.

#12 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

Ah, no wonder you are so weird. You live in the UK?

#13 Edited by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

Well I'd guess that if a couple of things are improved between the current gen versions of a game and the last gen versions, it takes a little more effort. Therefore, if gamers want to experience a game with better features over its last gen counterpart, publishers see it as an opportunity to offer the best version at a premium cost.

Do I agree with it? I don't blame them for charging more, but I won't be purchasing the games until they drop in price then.

But pc games have always been better and cheaper.

#14 Edited by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

Only if their production costs were high enough to justify the prices.

Console gamers get screwed because of licensing fees they have to pay the console manufacturers and then the lack of real competition on the platform when it comes to game prices. It stagnates prices at a higher level than on the PC.

On the PC devs don't have to pay the licensing fees and other fees associated with developing and publishing on consoles so they can more quickly make their money back on a game and start profiting allowing them to make the game for cheaper.

I don't mind if a PC game is $50 if the game's budget was higher and the end result was a better made game. Slapping $50-60 on the game just because they can and that's what consoles do is bad.

Guild Wars 2 was a good example of a $50 game. Starcraft 2 as well. Diablo 3 had too many damn issues to be worth the $60 they wanted.

#15 Edited by Zassimick (6249 posts) -

@Zassimick said:

But pc games have always been better and cheaper.

And as I said, I don't blame them for charging more for other versions.

#16 Posted by _Matt_ (8842 posts) -

£55 is obscene, I hope they eventually get back to £40 or at the very most £45

#17 Posted by locus-solus (486 posts) -
#18 Posted by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@locus-solus said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

pc version £48.65/$80

£29.99

it says it's £48.65 on amazon wired

Amazon UK isn't selling the pc version. You are translating US currency.

#19 Posted by locus-solus (486 posts) -

@locus-solus said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@locus-solus said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

pc version £48.65/$80

£29.99

it says it's £48.65 on amazon wired

Amazon UK isn't selling the pc version. You are translating US currency.

yea i'm converting the currency my bad i assumed they would be the same price

#20 Posted by Cyberdot (3514 posts) -

No unless developers put more effort in their games.

The games in last generation have been quite poor compared with the PS1 and PS2 generations.

#21 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

OP acts like we care about the UK. We dont

#22 Posted by uninspiredcup (7667 posts) -

My friend, this is a very culturally racist point of view that has been adopted.

#23 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

I couldn't care less how much they charge. I have a set price I am willing to pay and I always (unless it is a gift for my kids) wait until the game drops to that price. For PC that is $10 or less and for console it is $20 or less. It was $30 or less, but I have realized that over the years I wait til $20 and have stopped buying at $30. So let them charge whatever they want. I am only willing to pay so much and have all the patience in the world to wait until they drop in price.

#24 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

My friend, this is a very culturally racist point of view that has been adopted.

There is nothing racist about what he said.

#25 Posted by always_explicit (2661 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

just ignorance.

#26 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

just ignorance.

I won't argue against that.

#27 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Only if their production costs were high enough to justify the prices.

Console gamers get screwed because of licensing fees they have to pay the console manufacturers and then the lack of real competition on the platform when it comes to game prices. It stagnates prices at a higher level than on the PC.

On the PC devs don't have to pay the licensing fees and other fees associated with developing and publishing on consoles so they can more quickly make their money back on a game and start profiting allowing them to make the game for cheaper.

I don't mind if a PC game is $50 if the game's budget was higher and the end result was a better made game. Slapping $50-60 on the game just because they can and that's what consoles do is bad.

Guild Wars 2 was a good example of a $50 game. Starcraft 2 as well. Diablo 3 had too many damn issues to be worth the $60 they wanted.

Werent both guild wars 2 and Starcraft $60 at release? But i think you have too much faith in developers and publishers to assume they charge less because they can. If they are charging less its generally because they have to in order to maximize profit.... ie the game wont sell at $60.

Right now the next gen buyers are dropping large sums of money on the new systems and are hungry for new software. People buying expensive launch hardware are generally not as price sensitive at those sticking with last gen consoles, and as such are more willing to pay a premium for next gen software... so they will gladly collect that premium regardless of whether or not its necessary to recoup costs.

Considering both last gen and this gen are likely subject to similar licensing fees, it doesnt make sense that would explain the discrepancy.

#28 Posted by osan0 (12597 posts) -

the cost of production for games will double this gen again...especially with the AAA titles. the budget for GTA6 is probably going to be eye watering (500mill US).

the cost of this is the DLC will be more prevelant, in game stores will become more popular and the initial price of these games will increase. the money has to come from somewhere.

Pc games will be cheaper but i suspect we will see an increase on the price on the PC also. i wouldnt be surprised if the next COD is 10 quid more expensive at launch comapred to ghosts.

is it sustainable?

#29 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

I would pay $100 for games like Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 etc. since I usually get many hours of great entertainment from RPG titles. In turn though I would prefer to pay less for FPS, and just get the campaign.

#30 Posted by wis3boi (31012 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

My friend, I have primarily been a pc gamer for almost a decade. Since it's discovery consoles have been considered the lesser platforms. Perhaps this fresh perspective has made me more in tune with the shocking reality than simply accepting it as apparently, you have.

dont lie

#31 Posted by nishanth12 (525 posts) -

Kill it before it spreads

#32 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I thought you'd been gaming since at least the Voodoo 2 days me old China?

#33 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Paying £50 for a game is starting to grow tiresome and burdensome, these companies better fix it before gamers start to observe alternatives

#34 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

No, Publishers need to learn how to properly budget their games.

#35 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

Oh for the love of sanity no! If they dare try to raise the price, you can kiss the gaming industry as we know it good bye.

#36 Edited by millerlight89 (18346 posts) -

Maybe tha tis a place holder. The DD PC on Amazon says 79.99 here Couple moths ago watch dogs saind 79.99

#37 Posted by wis3boi (31012 posts) -

@Rayrota said:

Oh for the love of sanity no! If they dare try to raise the price, you can kiss the gaming industry as we know it good bye.

once upon a time, in the days of old, games were more expensive than they are now

#38 Edited by sukraj (21902 posts) -
#39 Posted by bezza2011 (2321 posts) -

this happened last gen ps3/360 games were nearing £50 if not more at launch and over time they have gone down it's the same with everything blu rays used to be £20 and now you can get them for £10 or lower, this is just how it is until things die down

#40 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

What language are you attempting to speak? Looks like English to me.

#41 Edited by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

Game's prices have gone up yes, i live in the UK and nearly the price of everything has pretty much went up not to mention wages have near enough stagnated yes its become more expensive for most of us but lets face it Osbourne seems hell bent on ruining the working class, game's prices have went up and kinda in line with how inflations going but the other parts aint.

Thats why they are more expensive from a perceptive point of view, iirc FFVII launched at £40 RRP and i remember it being considered expensive, then again go back even further some games cost nearly £90 when carts were around.So the arguement can be said game prices have dropped and are begging to rise once again but then again our country is an economic mess and being fixed by the village idiot.

#42 Edited by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Rayrota said:

once upon a time, in the days of old, games were more expensive than they are now

Oh believe me I know, but in times like these, do you think people will spend that much on games, especially when they buy much cheaper games on Steam or just order old games in mint condition online? That's just my thought on the matter.

#43 Posted by daveg1 (20330 posts) -

they need to stop being so greedy ps4/x1 are just closer to pc games and the guess what the pc versions are cheaper so no there is no justification for it other than greed if this is the main stay i wont buy a next gen console..

£40 is enough!!

#44 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

What language are you attempting to speak? Looks like English to me.

While I agree Pinkie's comment was ignorant, I am not sure wtf English has to do with anything. Or are you confused and think English originated in the UK? If so, then you would be wrong. It actually came from Germany.

#45 Edited by mariokart64fan (19355 posts) -

if nintendo does have to leave because people dont wanna buy their stuff ,, then you guys will get what you ask for lmao , higher prices , higher everything not just games,

your controllers , 70-80 bucks your games 100 bucks console always above 500 , ,

ya i said it so prepare your mortgages and stuff because the way things are going these fanboys will make sure we all pay the price

#46 Posted by Shielder7 (5142 posts) -

My friends. Today I was on this "amazon" thing you people seem to use and saw this Creative Assembly video game, "aliens".

Upon viewing the prices my hart sank, shock ensued.

Can we explore, as a team, a logical reason beyond we want more money as to why it is almost double the price on "next generation" platforms?

My chumlings, it's worth noting, the pc version will probably be £29.99.

Go back to the Mid 80s and 90s when NES and SNES games went up to 99$. If you got a game under 60$ it was a classic on sale.

#47 Posted by millerlight89 (18346 posts) -

if nintendo does have to leave because people dont wanna buy their stuff ,, then you guys will get what you ask for lmao , higher prices , higher everything not just games,

your controllers , 70-80 bucks your games 100 bucks console always above 500 , ,

ya i said it so prepare your mortgages and stuff because the way things are going these fanboys will make sure we all pay the price

At least the other companies let their games get cheaper quicker. Ninty keeps their games at high prices for far too long.

#48 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

Games keeps getting more and more expensive.