Should Next Far cry game set in wild west in order to be Good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24895 Posts

Hello

so my friends. as we know ubisoft wont ever give up to far cry and assasssins creed. and unlike boring rockstar games. far cry 3 was actually good. so i think ubisoft need to make next far cry game set in old west in order to compete with red dead redemption 2.

wild west setting make far cry game a different and unique then previous games in series. and this would fit far cry perfectly like instead of cars, you run horses. instead of modern guns, you have old west guns. I dont understand why they made caveman far cry instead of wild west far cry.

what do you think? discuss

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Ubisoft allready has a FPS western IP: Call of Juarez (last game was great!). So I don't think they would go that route. And why would they want to go up against RDR?

I think the dinosaur idea, that I've seen floating around, is what sounds the most compelling. Something like Jurassic Park (or I guess Turok) where you have this awesome unique wildlife, but still modern tech. Farcry works better in a lush forest enviroment, with lots of verticality, then it does in the prairie (I know there are other places to set a western game, but still).

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@Sushiglutton said:

Ubisoft allready has a FPS western IP: Call of Juarez (last game was great!). So I don't think they would go that route. And why would they want to go up against RDR?

I think the dinosaur idea, that I've seen floating around, is what sounds the most appealing. Something like Jurassic Park (or I guess Turok) where you have this awesome unique wildlife, but still modern tech. Farcry works better in a lush forest enviroment, with lots of verticality, then it does in the prairie (I know there are other places to set a western game, but still).

call of juarez is linear and terrible series that no one care about. except last one gunslinger was fun game. in order to compete with RDR. game need to be open world.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sushiglutton

@ghosts4ever said:
@Sushiglutton said:

I think the dinosaur idea, that I've seen floating around, is what sounds the most appealing. Something like Jurassic Park (or I guess Turok) where you have this awesome unique wildlife, but still modern tech. Farcry works better in a lush forest enviroment, with lots of verticality, then it does in the prairie (I know there are other places to set a western game, but still).

call of juarez is linear and terrible series that no one care about. except last one gunslinger was fun game. in order to compete with RDR. game need to be open world.

Yeah it's more arcadey and you are right it's not really competition for RDR on any level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#5 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Either make an actual Far Cry game that has something to do with the first, or just make a new Wild West ip. They taint these franchises while giving them new settings, mechanics and ideas instead of investing in new ips with those features.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@hillelslovak said:

Either make an actual Far Cry game that has something to do with the first, or just make a new Wild West ip. They taint these franchises while giving them new settings, mechanics and ideas instead of investing in new ips with those features.

first far cry was only good until second half and it become terrible. crytek improve upon Crysis.

FC3 is best in series.

ribhu672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ribhu672
Member since 2014 • 173 Posts

Just do something unique with gameplay mechanics. Remember how different far cry 1 and 2 and 3 plays but then you have 4 and primal which are just reskin of 3.

So I want Ubisoft to innovate on gameplay first. As for the world we don't need to worry about it every Ubisoft title features gorgeous world. Whatever they come up with will look good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#8 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@hillelslovak said:

first far cry was only good until second half and it become terrible. crytek improve upon Crysis.

FC3 is best in series.

It was so good, Ubisoft copied it's formula for every open world game they have made for 5 years. I loved it, even though it had absolutely nothing to do with Far Cry.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@hillelslovak said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hillelslovak said:

FC3 is best in series.

It was so good, Ubisoft copied it's formula for every open world game they have made for 5 years. I loved it, even though it had absolutely nothing to do with Far Cry.

i agree it was soo good. but until second half of game is so bad that it even overshadow good of first half. trigens are worst enemies to encounter in FPS ever.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Primal was terrific. Id be interested if they moved the next one a little bit forward.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

@Sushiglutton:

I basically came in here to say dinosaurs. What would make this idea even cooler, is if they don't reveal it before the game's launch. Don't even hint at it. Then when people play it, it'll be like OMG!!!! (I realize keeping that under wraps would be almost impossible today, but one can dream)

Also I never played Far Cry 2, so I'd be ok with revisiting Africa.

One of the problems I had with FC4 was that everything pretty much looked the same, so if they could improve on that - would go along way in making the next one less of a drag.

I have no intention of playing an FPS with no guns so I won't be playing Primal, although it would've been cool to shoot some sabre tooths.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

It's not the setting of Far Cry that I'd like to change, it's their approach to open world design.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Hmmm that would be cool. This is like the ONLY setting a FC game would interest me.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

No I think the timing for that would be bad, king of open world games Rockstar is coming out with Red Dead Redemption 2, everything else competing with that will get crushed. They should at least let the dust settle first. I really enjoyed Far Cry Blood Dragon, I'd prefer it if they went Sci-fi with their next FC game.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If it's a numbered Far Cry, it better be set in the modern day with modern day mercs and pirates. Anything else would be say, Far Cry: Wild West.

@ghosts4ever said:

i agree it was soo good. but until second half of game is so bad that it even overshadow good of first half. trigens are worst enemies to encounter in FPS ever.

What's wrong with the trigens? Don't you like being ripped apart? I found them more challenging than the Far Cry mercs. ;)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

it should return to the spirit of Blood Dragon, synthwave and neon-light and scan-line infused piece of 80s throwback that would make John Carpenter blush, a retro-futuristic Wiliam Gibson'eqsque cyberpunk thriller

maybe instead of the typical open world wilderness landscape, set it in an urban environment with civilian populations caught between warring mega-corporation factions acing like their own nation states with an army of cyborg mercenaries (Syndicate style), with a free range of missions to help your faction out including corporate espionage, kidnapping of key scientists, technology, assassination missions, all that good stuff

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@Alucard_Prime said:

No I think the timing for that would be bad, king of open world games Rockstar is coming out with Red Dead Redemption 2, everything else competing with that will get crushed. They should at least let the dust settle first. I really enjoyed Far Cry Blood Dragon, I'd prefer it if they went Sci-fi with their next FC game.

I rather want far cry wild west than GTA wild west.

Rockstar open world games are far more boring than ubisoft one and only developer who make ubisoft masterpiece.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@ghosts4ever: And there are surely many people who agree with you. I wouldn't mind seeing Ubisoft's take on the Wild West either, however if they do this anytime soon they will be directly competing with an Apex predator, they will be going into a fight and using up tons of resources for a battle that they will most likely lose. It might be a successful and awesome game, but it would most likely be far more successful if they do it at a time when it won't be directly competing with Red Dead Redemption 2.

That's just my 2 cents though, at the end of the day I seriously doubt Ubisoft wants to greenlight a project that would make them go head to head with Rockstar at this time.....but never say never, competition is always good, and they've done it before with Watchdogs so if they decide to go the Wild Wild West route, then it should be interesting to see how they will attempt to make their product appealing in a world with RDR2.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That's... actually a good idea. From Sniper? Wow.

@lamprey263 said:

it should return to the spirit of Blood Dragon, synthwave and neon-light and scan-line infused piece of 80s throwback that would make John Carpenter blush, a retro-futuristic Wiliam Gibson'eqsque cyberpunk thriller

maybe instead of the typical open world wilderness landscape, set it in an urban environment with civilian populations caught between warring mega-corporation factions acing like their own nation states with an army of cyborg mercenaries (Syndicate style), with a free range of missions to help your faction out including corporate espionage, kidnapping of key scientists, technology, assassination missions, all that good stuff

But I want this more than anything.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sushiglutton

@AsadMahdi59 said:

@Sushiglutton:

I basically came in here to say dinosaurs. What would make this idea even cooler, is if they don't reveal it before the game's launch. Don't even hint at it. Then when people play it, it'll be like OMG!!!! (I realize keeping that under wraps would be almost impossible today, but one can dream)

Also I never played Far Cry 2, so I'd be ok with revisiting Africa.

One of the problems I had with FC4 was that everything pretty much looked the same, so if they could improve on that - would go along way in making the next one less of a drag.

I have no intention of playing an FPS with no guns so I won't be playing Primal, although it would've been cool to shoot some sabre tooths.

Ha that would be epic, but companies (understandably) tend to go the other way, aka show off everys single feature they have created before launch :).

I agree about the gun thing. Haven't played primal either, even though I tend to play FC mostly stealthily. But yeah a bit of tech gives more options and can't fight a T-rex with a spear!

FC4's map did lack a bit of personality. One problem is that all you find when you explore is generic loot. I wish they would have some unique weapons or something hidden in temples that aren't flagged as hard as everything in FC tends to be. So you can stumble on something and find unique stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Why would anyone want to compete with RDR? They will get destroyed if they try that.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@Icarian said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Why would anyone want to compete with RDR? They will get destroyed if they try that.

by sales? maybe. by quality absolutely no.

also first person is so much better than third person.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

far cry primal and far cry 4 were horrible in comparison to far cry 3.

i think if they really wanted to make some drastic positive changes they would need some kind of outside-foresty and a california-esqu city hybrid. maybe like Hawaii?

have stealth undercover missions in the city. an agent goes to investigate some unusual activity(insert plot points) taking place in this area and finds out that him and his team have been seperated after a rough landing. ect. ect. still has the elements of far cry fighting for survival. as you fight halfway through the game you uncover alien activity in the area.

im just throwing ideas out there..anything is better than going back to the caveman era to fight tigers with bows and arrows

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58834 Posts

Sure. Why not.

That or medieval times with castles and shit.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto
@Liquid_ said:
an agent goes to investigate some unusual activity(insert plot points) taking place in this area and finds out that him and his team have been seperated after a rough landing. ect. ect. still has the elements of far cry fighting for survival. as you fight halfway through the game you uncover alien activity in the area.

Sounds like Crysis to me.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

You realise a lot of people love the Far Cry games, right? You want them to make a wild west version just for you? RDR on 360 bored me rigid after an hour and I never went back. Maybe they should make Red Dead Redemption in space which I would quite like just for me?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Ubisoft should keep all the gameplay mechanics of FC4 and add the Buzzer to vehicles the AI can use. Anything the player can use, the AI should be able to as well. It would be awesome to be attacked by a squadron of enemy AI all flying ultralight aircraft and raining death from above.

Ubisoft should also bring back the temperament of the Rakyat in FC3. Even one accidental shot in their direction and they're all gunning for your head. Too bad Ubisoft toned it down in FC4. Bring back the AI self and buddy-healing in FC2. While Ubisoft is at it, bring back the map system of FC2.

Ubisoft hasn't done South America yet. That would be my best guess for a FC5 location.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Liquid_

@jun_aka_pekto: never played crysis but i had zero imagery in mind from the crysis gameplay ive seen, i know its in the future..but i was thinking more along the lines of the 90s or current era like far cry 3 was.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Far Cry 3 was mostly shallow and empty garbage and changing the setting won't make their future games better.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Liquid_ said:

@jun_aka_pekto: never played crysis but i had zero imagery in mind from the crysis gameplay ive seen, i know its in the future..but i was thinking more along the lines of the 90s or current era like far cry 3 was.

The early levels of Crysis followed the premise of the paragraph I quoted. Prophet's (Raptor Team) group got scattered when they parachuted in. They tried to regroup. But, an unknown entity killed off Raptor Team one by one until only Nomad was still on the mission. The unknown entity turned out to be a Ceph alien.

The setting of Crysis is the near future. With the exception of the nanosuit and aliens, everything else were modern warfare: guns, ships, vehicles, aircraft, KPA.....

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Liquid_

@PinchySkree: its definitley a step in the right direction. You think primal was one of the better far crys?

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

I liked Far Cry Instincts mutant theme and powers. I think revisiting that angle would really fresh up on the Far Cry franchise .

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

@jumpaction said:

It's not the setting of Far Cry that I'd like to change, it's their approach to open world design.

Yeah even with the Far Cry Primal approach it felt too similar to other Far Crys. I like how in Ghost Recon Wildlands they integrate the exploration with side missions/missions better than just unlocking new areas. What Far Cry needs more is side missions with variety like in Ghost Recon Wildlands. I didn't like Far Cry's setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@smearygoose1768:

I haven't had the opportunity to try Wildlands. Is it good?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46187 Posts

Honestly a western Far Cry doesn't sound half bad. Ubisoft should hire Ghosts4ever-SNIPER, it would be the best thing to ever happen to them.

Even with RDR2 on the horizon, it still wouldn't be an overcrowded setting with only two open world games.

And I'd love to use the western weapons in a first person shooter. Throw some dynamite at people, I dig it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

. Ubisoft should hire Ghosts4ever

I would never work with these clowns even if they pay me double salary..

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Go back to Africa

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Ah far cry.... I remember I got the first one free with some computer hardware purchase. Great game. Never been able to finish a far cry game since.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Alucard_Prime

@pyro1245 said:

Ah far cry.... I remember I got the first one free with some computer hardware purchase. Great game. Never been able to finish a far cry game since.

You may want to try the spinoff title "Far Cry Blood Dragon". I'm only an average Far Cry fan, I never finished one myself, but Blood Dragon is one of the best games I've ever played. A lot of it has to do with its retro style, 80's movies and music, things like that.....so if you don't like that stuff then maybe you won't like it, otherwise you should try it if you get a chance.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@ghosts4ever: I'm not sure why the next Far Cry shluld even compete with RDR.