Should Microsoft start off gen 9 earlier than expected?

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Do you think they will pull another Xbox 360 and release their next console earlier than expected?

They knew the PS2 couldn't be beat in gen 6 and now they even admitted they probably won't catch up to the PS4 in sales.

Honestly, I think they need a fresh start, with the right message out of the gate, and then I think they could make a come back. Now that you have Phil Spencer at the helm I'm willing to bet the next Xbox will be a true powerhouse. I know the XB1 is doing pretty well in its own right, but Microsoft just can't fully get away from the stigma that Don Mattrick left behind.

I think 2017 - 2018 is a must for a new Xbox. Come out with a clear message, a powerful box, great games and they could possibly get a leg up over Sony.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Whatever kills Generaton 8 faster.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

They should just release in 2018 or 2019 like most expect and create a powerhouse console, something unbelievable that they will absolutely lose money on but make it reasonable to the consumer. They will make money back in the long run with games, sales and the eventual reduction in hardware costs, but they need to do something they know Sony cannot, and that is initially lose a metric **** ton of money.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Skelly34

@nyadc said:

They should just release in 2018 or 2019 like most expect and create a powerhouse console, something unbelievable that they will absolutely lose money on but make it reasonable to the consumer. They will make money back in the long run with games, sales and the eventual reduction in hardware costs, but they need to do something they know Sony cannot, and that is initially lose a metric **** ton of money.

We can all dream.

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Altivera
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

@skelly34 said:

What makes you think gen 9 will be better (for you).

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emgesp

@skelly34 said:
@nyadc said:

We can all dream.

Microsoft could afford a $100 loss on each console sold, Sony probably would avoid even a $50 loss if possible. So, yeah I think its very possible that the next Xbox will be more powerful than the next Playstation. Phil Spencer will want to avoid more articles talking about resolutions being lower on their box.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

From a business standpoint, M$ invested too much into gen 8 to jump ship now.

From a gaming enthusiast standpoint, gen 8 is kinda lame. Frame rates, resolutions and graphical fidelity haven't jumped like they were advertised. Games are still broken and our hard drives are still too small. That and with VR coming in 2016, our gen 8 consoles aren't powerful enough to support the "next big thing" in gaming. All of the consoles have turned out to be only a half step forward in power and features. Maybe Gen 9 will give us the boxes we deserve.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
@nyadc said:

Those days are long gone, both the Ps4 and Xb1 are outpacing their predecessors and they didn't have to loss lead to do it.

You're right that MS can do that more so than Sony, but the Xbox brand is just starting to make MS money and I don't know why they'd blow that. More likely I see them coming out with a $500 console like they did this time but have all that money go to the hardware and not some gimmick. If we are to see more powerful hardware we'll need to pay more...

I don't want new consoles anyway things are just getting worse and worse in development time, dlc, number of patches, new ideas and development costs, I just want good games for the hardware we have now.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NyaDC

@GoldenElementXL said:

From a gaming enthusiast standpoint, gen 8 is kinda lame. Frame rates, resolutions and graphical fidelity haven't jumped like they were advertised. Games are still broken and our hard drives are still too small. That and with VR coming in 2016, our gen 8 consoles aren't powerful enough to support the "next big thing" in gaming. All of the consoles have turned out to be only a half step forward in power and features. Maybe Gen 9 will give us the boxes we deserve.

Generation 8 is the Windows Vista of console generations, it feels like a filler gen just waiting for the actual consoles we should get.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I think MS should wait to see if Nintendo steals Sony's thunder with the the weebs if the NX manages to bridge the console-handheld userbase and brings the handheld Japanese games to consoles; after all, what the PS4 has delivered has been slow dribble thus far.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emgesp

@Chozofication said:
@nyadc said:

Those days are long gone, both the Ps4 and Xb1 are outpacing their predecessors and they didn't have to loss lead to do it.

You're right that MS can do that more so than Sony, but the Xbox brand is just starting to make MS money and I don't know why they'd blow that. More likely I see them coming out with a $500 console like they did this time but have all that money go to the hardware and not some gimmick. If we are to see more powerful hardware we'll need to pay more...

I don't want new consoles anyway things are just getting worse and worse in development time, dlc, number of patches, new ideas and development costs, I just want good games for the hardware we have now.

A $500 Xbox is not happening. $399.99 is the sweet spot. Anything more and you just alienate potential customers.

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Altivera

@nyadc said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Generation 8 is the Windows Vista of console generations, it feels like a filler gen just waiting for the actual consoles we should get.

Which would be?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emgesp

@nyadc said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

That's exactly how I feel too. These are not the next gen consoles we were looking for. I own a PS4 and it still doesn't have that must have exclusive yet for me.

I really wished all these companies stopped worrying about high production blockbusters and started creating simply fun games again. Look at the diversity of fun games the PS2 had. We probably won't get that with the PS4.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NyaDC

@altivera said:
@nyadc said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Which would be?

Which would be what? I thought that was a pretty self-explanatory and self-conclusive comment.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skelly34

@altivera said:
@skelly34 said:

What makes you think gen 9 will be better (for you).

It won't be, but the hardware will at least be better.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emgesp

@altivera said:
@nyadc said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Which would be?

Better hardware, less broken games, potentially more creativity in game development.

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Altivera

@nyadc said:
@altivera said:
@nyadc said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Which would be?

Which would be what? I thought that was a pretty self-explanatory and self-conclusive comment.

Specifically what do you think would make next gen better.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emgesp

@altivera: Hopefully Nintendo does something to make games fun again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
@emgesp said:

A $500 Xbox is not happening. $399.99 is the sweet spot. Anything more and you just alienate potential customers.

I don't necessarily think it'll happen, (though it happened this time so really, why not again and price cuts are possible) I was just saying if you want better hardware you'll have to pay for it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

As long as they drop Kinect all together, they can do what ever they want,

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emgesp

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

I don't think it'll happen either, (though it happened this time so really, why not again and price cuts are possible) I was just saying if you want better hardware you'll have to pay for it.

We can get relatively powerful boxes if the companies are willing to take a hit again. When I say powerful I don't necessarily mean almost as powerful as the top PC build of the time. You just can expect high end PC level performance again. Never going to happen with SLI setups and crazy power consumption. Only way they could do that is through the cloud.

Nintendo actually might be doing such a thing if you take a look at the latest patents they filed.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NyaDC

@altivera said:
@nyadc said:
@altivera said:
@nyadc said:

Which would be?

More powerful hardware, the hardware in these consoles is pathetic, it's an in between, nothing defined, less beta feeling operating software and programs with better launch feature integration, in other words something that feels complete at release, something with a very strong exclusive offering not only at release but for the first several years. These console are very, very back ended in terms of games, what they have released up until now and through the end of 2016 should have been their first year on the market, not three years in... The lack of games is staggeringly pathetic and irritating as shit, until the end of next year they don't really have a need to be owned, either of them.

This whole generation just feels like biding time until what should really be released is ready to go.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gfxpipeline
Member since 2014 • 543 Posts

Are there Xbox fans who actually believe there is going to be another Xbox?

The days of Ballmer throwing billions at failed products like Xbox,Bing,Zune, and Windows Phone are over. Microsoft will say what is needed to keep the existing tiny installed base paying for online fees and other services but the Xbox One is the end. What they do with the pieces is yet to be determined.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emgesp

@Heil68 said:

Kinect has been dead for over 2 years now. There won't be a Kinect for the next Xbox.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NyaDC
@gfxpipeline said:

The days of Ballmer throwing billions at failed products like Xbox,Bing,Zune, and Windows Phone are over. Microsoft will say what is needed to keep the existing tiny installed base paying for online fees and other services but the Xbox One is the end. What they do with the pieces is yet to be determined.

Stop acting like you have a time machine, god I hate idiotic drivel like this as if you work for Microsoft and know what they're doing...

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Altivera

@nyadc said:
@altivera said:
@nyadc said:
@altivera said:
@nyadc said:

Which would be?

More powerful hardware, the hardware in these consoles is pathetic, it's an in between, nothing defined, less beta feeling operating software and programs with better launch feature integration, in other words something that feels complete at release, something with a very strong exclusive offering not only at release but for the first several years. These console are very, very back ended in terms of game, what they have released up until now and through the end of 2016 should have been their first year on the market, not three years in... The lack of games is staggeringly pathetic and irritating as shit, until the end of next year they don't really have a need to be owned, either of them.

This whole generation just feels like biding time until what should really be released is ready to go.

Good answer.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@emgesp said:
@Heil68 said:

Kinect has been dead for over 2 years now. There won't be a Kinect for the next Xbox.

We can only hope.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@emgesp said:
@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

I don't think it'll happen either, (though it happened this time so really, why not again and price cuts are possible) I was just saying if you want better hardware you'll have to pay for it.

We can get relatively powerful boxes if the companies are willing to take a hit again. When I say powerful I don't necessarily mean almost as powerful as the top PC build of the time. You just can expect high end PC level performance again. Never going to happen with SLI setups and crazy power consumption. Only way they could do that is through the cloud.

Nintendo actually might be doing such a thing if you take a look at the latest patents they filed.

None of them will loss lead ever again, they don't have any reason to. They know they can sell less than bleeding edge hardware.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emgesp

@gfxpipeline said:

Phil Spencer confirmed there will be another Xbox.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NyaDC

@emgesp said:
@gfxpipeline said:

I don't think he confirmed it, I think it was more along the lines of "Why wouldn't we make another Xbox?" or something like that.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 emgesp

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:
@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

None of them will loss lead ever again, they don't have any reason to. They know they can sell less than bleeding edge hardware.

Well Microsoft is going to want to come out strong in the face of Sony's success with the PS4. They need to build a box that will get back all those Xbox 360 owners that jumped ship this gen. I fully expect Microsoft will release a loss leading console, but $50 - $100 tops, not PS3 level loss of $200+.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I'd be very surprised if MS releases the next Xbox before 2018... even though PS4 is way ahead, Xbone is doing pretty well regardless.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox launches before PS5 and is the more powerful console. I hope so anyway...

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By emgesp

@nyadc said:
@emgesp said:
@gfxpipeline said:

I don't think he confirmed it, I think it was more along the lines of "Why wouldn't we make another Xbox?" or something like that.

Here's the quote.

"I fully expect that you’ll see another console from us," Spencer told The Verge. "Our best customers are Xbox console customers, and I want to keep those people engaged both on the Xbox One and anything we might do in the future. I’m 100 percent committed to that."

They would be in planning stages by now anyways, so yeah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
@emgesp said:

Well Microsoft is going to want to come out strong in the face of Sony's success with the PS4. They need to build a box that will get back all those Xbox 360 owners that jumped ship this gen. I fully expect Microsoft will release a loss leading console, but $50 - $100 tops, not PS3 level loss of $200+.

Xbox 360 actually lost more than Ps3 did on each unit, each 360 cost more than $700 to make and add on top of that the RROD, i'm not sure if MS made a penny that generation.

If for some reason they do loss lead, then yeah it'll probably be a loss less than $100.

Also, consoles may not be able to compete with PC in raw power due to thermal constraints, but if these manufacturers really wanted to they could make use of groundbreaking technology like the gamecube's gpu, or the dreamcast but that would require a lot of r&d and they don't want to do that either anymore. the 8th gen consoles didn't even use the latest PC tech, they used old tech, the xbone and Ps4 are 2012 PC's and the Wii U has a gpu from 2008/9... they can certainly do better than they're doing now.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By emgesp

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

Xbox 360 actually lost more than Ps3 did on each unit, each 360 cost more than $700 to make and add on top of that the RROD, i'm not sure if MS made a penny that generation.

If for some reason they do loss lead, then yeah it'll probably be a loss less than $100.

Also, consoles may not be able to compete with PC in raw power due to thermal constraints, but if these manufacturers really wanted to they could make use of groundbreaking technology like the gamecube's gpu, or the dreamcast but that would require a lot of r&d and they don't want to do that either anymore. the 8th gen consoles didn't even use the latest PC tech, they used old tech, the xbone and Ps4 are 2012 PC's and the Wii U has a gpu from 2008/9... they can certainly do better than they're doing now.

Actually that isn't true at all. The PS3 cost Sony $800 per unit for both the 20 and 60GB SKU. The Xbox 360 cost Microsoft about $500 initially per unit. The Cell processor and Blu-ray drive were far more expensive than any component in the 360.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#37 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

No because Xbox is a second rate brand and it'll continue to be that way with a new console or not. PlayStation was always be the preferred platform assuming Nintendo will do something weird again.

PS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xbox

PS3>Xbox 360

PS4>>>>>>Xbone

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By emgesp

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

The Dreamcast and Gamecube's GPU were in line with Moore's Law. They weren't exactly groundbreaking tech. They were state of the art for their time, but groundbreaking no.

Also, the PS4's GPU did indeed utilize the latest AMD tech for the time, it actually had some improvements in the overall architecture. The only thing that held it back was power consumption limits and fabrication process.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gfxpipeline

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Ieven though PS4 is way ahead, Xbone is doing pretty well regardless.

LOL...vgchartz.

The Xbox One is bombing just as badly as the first Xbox in worldwide sales.

The Xbox sold only 24.5 million over three and a half years before Microsoft dumped the failed console.

The Xbox One has sold only 14 million over two years.

Amazing coincidence how the Xbox One without the luxury of the RRoD fiasco causing Xbox fans to buy 3,4,5+ duplicate consoles is selling almost exactly as badly as the first Xbox.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NyaDC
@gfxpipeline said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Ieven though PS4 is way ahead, Xbone is doing pretty well regardless.

LOL...vgchartz.

The Xbox One is bombing just as badly as the first Xbox in worldwide sales.

The Xbox sold only 24.5 million over three and a half years before Microsoft dumped the failed console.

The Xbox One has sold only 14 million over two years.

Amazing coincidence how the Xbox One without the luxury of the RRoD fiasco causing Xbox fans to buy 3,4,5+ duplicate consoles is selling almost exactly as badly as the first Xbox.

It released in 2001 and was discontinued in 2009 with the last numbers reported for it in mid 2006, it and the GameCube were the last consoles out of the gate for a generation that started 3 years prior to their release, not to mention it was a new console brand, you might want to actually research what you're talking about.

You're really shitting the bed trying to make the Xbox One look bad, also the original Xbox was not dumped, it was replaced as is generally any console when a generation is drawing to a close.

Also where are you getting your "14 million" figure? Oh I know, your ass.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@skelly34 said:

lol, I was going to say something else, but that's the answer of the day pretty much.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gfxpipeline
@Legend002 said:

No because Xbox is a second rate brand and it'll continue to be that way with a new console or not.

Yes.

The Xbox was released after the PS2 - Sony won.

The Xbox 360 was rushed out the door to try to pad its installed base before the PS3 came out - Sony won.

The Xbox One came out at the same time as the PS4 - Sony is crushing Microsoft.

The Xbox was the same price as the PS2 - Sony won.

The Xbox 360 was 200 dollars cheaper than the PS3 - Sony won.

The Xbox One was more expensive at launch than the PS4 - Sony is crushing Microsoft.

The first Xbox just avoided coming in last place thanks to Nintendo pulling the plug on the GameCube a bit earlier than Microsoft.

The second Xbox came in last place.

The Xbox One would be in last place if Nintendo had not completely and inexplicably botched their Wii successor.

The entire point of the console market is to provide a stable platform where developers and publishers reduce their costs by amortizing their project budgets over a six to seven year period by not having to constantly rewrite their engines due to constant hardware changes. Microsoft pulling the plug on yet another failed console in hopes of rushing new hardware out the door just to pad their installed base numbers.

That's going to be really popular with developers and publishers...

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

So because xbone hasn't sold as many units as ps4 that means they shouldn't make another console? Man the cow logic is outstanding.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

PS4's lineup next year and beyond is quite exceptional.

Nier Automata, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, NiOh, Yakuza 0 (us), Yakuza 6 (japan), Yakuza Kiwami (japan), Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, Toukiden 2, World of Final Fantasy, Uncharted 4 (my least favorite but you'll complain about no bro shooters if I don't add it), Alienation, Deep Down, Dertroit: Become Human, Drawn to Death, Dreams, Gran Turismo Sport, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon: Zeron Dawn, The King of Fighters 14, Matterfall, Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom, Ratchet and Clank, Rime, The Tomorrow Children, Wattam, and Wild.

Then you facor in console exclusives like kingdom under fire 2 and no man's sky.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NyaDC

@howmakewood said:

So because xbone hasn't sold as many units as ps4 that means they shouldn't make another console? Man the cow logic is outstanding.

Sony doesn't sell as many TV's, Blu-Ray players, or home theater systems as Samsung, LG and Bose anymore, I guess they better just close up shop, if you're not in first place I guess that means you should just give up and leave the market... Hell, the PlayStation 3 got annihilated by the Wii last generation, I guess the PlayStation 4 shouldn't exist either.

Sony should have just shut down entirely.

What a brilliant path of logic.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@nyadc said:

Xbox is wants to make profit though. Not win fanboy wars. I don't see them pushing out a mega loss leader again.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

@gfxpipeline said:
@Legend002 said:

No because Xbox is a second rate brand and it'll continue to be that way with a new console or not.

Yes.

The Xbox was released after the PS2 - Sony won.

The Xbox 360 was rushed out the door to try to pad its installed base before the PS3 came out - Sony won.

The Xbox One came out at the same time as the PS4 - Sony is crushing Microsoft.

The Xbox was the same price as the PS2 - Sony won.

The Xbox 360 was 200 dollars cheaper than the PS3 - Sony won.

The Xbox One was more expensive at launch than the PS4 - Sony is crushing Microsoft.

The first Xbox just avoided coming in last place thanks to Nintendo pulling the plug on the GameCube a bit earlier than Microsoft.

The second Xbox came in last place.

The Xbox One would be in last place if Nintendo had not completely and inexplicably botched their Wii successor.

The entire point of the console market is to provide a stable platform where developers and publishers reduce their costs by amortizing their project budgets over a six to seven year period by not having to constantly rewrite their engines due to constant hardware changes. Microsoft pulling the plug on yet another failed console in hopes of rushing new hardware out the door just to pad their installed base numbers.

That's going to be really popular with developers and publishers...

Care to show the numbers that show the PS3 has clearly beaten the Xbox 360? Because while the numbers are close, the last set of numbers that I saw(which was about a year ago) had the PS3 still behind the Xbox 360 by a few million.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NyaDC

@StrongBlackVine said:
@nyadc said:

Xbox is wants to make profit though. Not win fanboy wars. I don't see them pushing out a mega loss leader again.

A large initial loss can net a larger profit margin and return given a greater level of success and sales as a result of releasing a more substantial product.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@emgesp said:
@skelly34 said:
@nyadc said:

We can all dream.

Microsoft could afford a $100 loss on each console sold, Sony probably would avoid even a $50 loss if possible. So, yeah I think its very possible that the next Xbox will be more powerful than the next Playstation. Phil Spencer will want to avoid more articles talking about resolutions being lower on their box.

What you loonies fail to realize that Xbox does not have access to all of Microsoft's money. They have a budget and doesn't to be a bigger budget than PlayStation has right now. Spencer is nothing but an employee and I would love hear his pitch to the real management about how Microsoft will lose a few hundred million on new console launch just for the "possibility" that it might beat PS in the US. Worldwide it doesn't matter what Microsoft does. Notice you said Sony would avoid the loss if possible, they showed this holiday they were prepared to match Xbox price. Nothing will be easy going forward. Sony was in BAD shape and Xbox/Microsoft still got their asses handed to them. You think it will be better now that Sony looks poised to be successful going forward?

Just face it Xbox is the inferior brand and that won't be changing even if it is the more powerful console next generation. That not the only reason Sony is winning.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@nyadc said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@nyadc said:

A large initial loss can net a larger profit margin and return given a greater level of success and sales as a result of releasing a more substantial product.

Yeah that is true, but I don't think either company wants to got that route again. Xbox One could have been $199 this holiday season if they were OK will losing money to build an install base. They tried the loss leader strategy last Fall and it worked somewhat(in the US), but obviously not well enough for them to do it long term or even again this holiday season.