Should Black Mesa be counted in the GOTY race?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by biggest_loser (24091 posts) -

A lot of work went into it, its not perfect so it probably won't contend for the top prize, but maybe it should get some award.

Could it count towards best free download or something?

#2 Posted by Link3301 (1708 posts) -

Its not even completed yet.

#3 Posted by The_Capitalist (10838 posts) -

It may be the biggest and most well-known mod to have come out in recent years, but I wouldn't count it in the GOTY running just yet.

And is the Steam version up yet? I thought it was Greenlighted a while ago.

#4 Posted by funsohng (28415 posts) -
Now we are nominating incomplete games?
#5 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

It's amazing just how much nostalgia can cloud one's judgement. An old ass game with slightly updated graphics does not a 2012 GOTY make.

#6 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

It's amazing just how much nostalgia can cloud one's judgement. An old ass game with slightly updated graphics does not a 2012 GOTY make.

Master_ShakeXXX

It's funny, cause i played it for the first time like 2 years ago, and it was sure as hell better than a lot of games at that time.

#7 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX

Nothing to do with nostalgia, just a fact that level design has gone much crappier in todays modern FPS. Black mesa is much better than most fps these days.

OT yes it should, its easyly GOTY material, dont see why not.

#8 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

I have yet to try it. I have the files sitting in my hard drive waiting to be played.

But playing the original Half-Life with graphics of this generation's standards would be pretty amazing!

#9 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

el3m2tigre

It's funny, cause i played it for the first time like 2 years ago, and it was sure as hell better than a lot of games at that time.

Sure it was

#10 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Actually ya know what? 2012 was a lousy year anyways so f*ck it. Go a head and hand the award over to some mod for a game that came out two decades ago. Who gives a crap.

Congrats Black Mesa, you are the best game of 2012. The shiniest piece of garbage that sits atop the trash heap. The ruler of the turds.

#11 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
if it has bunny hopping just like the original...then sure.
#12 Posted by funsohng (28415 posts) -

Actually ya know what? 2012 was a lousy year anyways so f*ck it. Go a head and hand the award over to some mod for a game that came out two decades ago. Who gives a crap.

Congrats Black Mesa, you are the best game of 2012. The shiniest piece of garbage that sits atop the trash heap. The ruler of the turds.

Master_ShakeXXX
okay.
#13 Posted by Heil68 (45795 posts) -
It's fantastic what they've done with it, but no, it shouldn't be be mentioned for GOTY..
#14 Posted by biggest_loser (24091 posts) -

Link3301
Yes it is. You wouldn't call it Black Mesa if you were going to include the aliens worlds.
#15 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

Now we are nominating incomplete games?funsohng

That's nothing new.

"We'll just fix it with a patch sometime soon"

#16 Posted by Peredith (2310 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX

it's a complete remake, not just "updated graphics".

rw1280h1024.jpg

iViu9p4Y3gRUf.jpg

Cliffs_HECU.jpg

izxryqdvBdjiN.jpg

ba_a040016.jpg

ilGAWeUOmOPVc.jpg

#17 Posted by biggest_loser (24091 posts) -

Peredith

it's a complete remake, not just "updated graphics".

I think he's angry because I said a whole lot of popular games in his thread were overrated - I don't withdraw what I said lol.
#18 Posted by SecretPolice (22490 posts) -

Hmm, either that or HL3 I guess. :twisted:

#19 Posted by flashn00b (2936 posts) -

Not really, due to some AI quirks, unfavourable weapon rebalancing, and a lack of a Xen Borderworld

#20 Posted by wis3boi (31594 posts) -

Link3301

what planet are you on

#21 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
It's a remake so no.
#22 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
No, now he wants to nominate and incomplete mod.
#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16997 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX

lol, what ? :lol:

#24 Posted by wis3boi (31594 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Now we are nominating incomplete games?AmazonTreeBoa

it's complete....it was released a long time ago

#25 Posted by freedomfreak (41464 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Now we are nominating incomplete games?wis3boi

it's complete....it was released a long time ago

haha :lol: Makes me wanna play JC2 again.
#26 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX

08b0184c_mlfw295_you_seem_upset.jpeg

#27 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX

Sounds like your just mad that people are saying a free mod is GOTY, and you cant play it.

#28 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Why not. It's ****ing fantastic. Reminds me why I loved Half Life in the late 90s, and it's excellent in its own right. I'm still genuinely surprised how good it is, and how it showcases how well Half Life holds up. It's baffling.
#29 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX
You should play it.
#30 Posted by DontGetBigIdeas (233 posts) -
It's OK, publishers have been selling incomplete games all gen long.
#31 Posted by with_teeth26 (6228 posts) -

It deserves it more than anything else released this year, I tried playing HL1 a few years ago and got maybe a third of the way through, playing through it again with the updated visuals and gunplay was a great experience. The level design is just amazing.

#32 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25849 posts) -

No, it shouldn't.

If I remember correctly no remakes have ever made it to GOTY.

#33 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

No, it's just Half-Life, although it should definitely get some kind of recognition.

Maybe MOTY?

#34 Posted by Maneil99 (823 posts) -

Half Life is overated, its gameplay mechanics are stale compared to todays standard, deal with it

#35 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Maybe best Mod?
Best Remake?

#36 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

It this a joke

Ha ha

Fat chance

#37 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

Half Life is overated, its gameplay mechanics are stale compared to todays standard, deal with it

Maneil99
Today's standards? Of what, railroading and going straight from point A to point B with absolutely no room for choice or experimentation or exploration?
#39 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

It was one of the greatest things I've played in recent memory.

Half Life sits atop my favorite games of all time list, so I was pretty excited when Black Mesa was released, but when I played it it seemed that half the time I didn't even know I was playing Half Life. The artists of that mod did such an amazingly good job! It was such a pleasure to explore such a brand new world, but at every turn there was always that sense of familiarity with the place, and it just added to the magic of it all.

#40 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

No, it goes in the MOD category (if there was one).

#41 Posted by yellonet (7768 posts) -

Black Mesa was kind of disappointing.. it was not nearly as good as HL1. They had changed it too much and it wasn't really polished enough.

#42 Posted by AgentA-Mi6 (16261 posts) -

Hmm, either that or HL3 I guess. :twisted:

SecretPolice
Screw you man, that was cold. The wait for HL3 has to be the most painful ever since starcraft II.
#43 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6634 posts) -

Just a personal preference of mine, but I do not consider remakes or updated versions of games as GOTY contestants.

I do agree that Black Mesa were different enough that I would nor consider it a straight remake, but it were still too similar that I would call it a Reimagening.

That mod bested ALOT of games this year, sure, but I would not count it.

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16997 posts) -

Definitely one of the best FPS I've played all year. This is an awesome remake, puts some other remakes to shame and costs nothing.

Who cares if its not complete ? Did that affect your enjoyment in the parts that were complete ? no.

#45 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Well...Skyrim did win many GOTY awards.

Heh, heh.

#46 Posted by princeofshapeir (14440 posts) -

Master_ShakeXXX
Good to know reporting your sig got it removed. :) Pay no attention to this fool. He claimed Diablo 3 was the best game ever made and hyped Borderlands 2 to ludicrous heights. He's a hypocrite who is only good for putting up borderline NSFW sigs.
#48 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

princeofshapeir

Good to know reporting your sig got it removed. :) Pay no attention to this fool. He claimed Diablo 3 was the best game ever made and hyped Borderlands 2 to ludicrous heights. He's a hypocrite who is only good for putting up borderline NSFW sigs.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

#49 Posted by princeofshapeir (14440 posts) -

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Goyoshi12

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

It's bad that it's his only redeeming quality. The act of putting up borderline NSFW sigs is not bad on its own.
#50 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6032 posts) -

I think Black Mesa is deserving of some type of reward, and while I think there should be a"Best Mod" award for Game of the Year award, I feel like it deserves something more. So much love and effort was put into the game, and nobody thought it was going to release, much less be as amazing as it was.