Shmup genre transitioned surprisingly well to smartphones.

#1 Posted by arkephonic (6688 posts) -

It's honestly one of the few genres i'll even play on a phone. Try out games like Danmaku Unlimited 2, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Espgaluda 2 and I'm sure there are a lot of others. It's one of the few circumstances where it feels like it could actually be an improvement in control. When using a control for shmups, it's the same static speed. Using your finger, you can obviously move at different speeds and it allows for the bullet hell games to be even more filled with bullets because you're more capable.

#2 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26438 posts) -

I saw that Deathsmiles was on smartphones. It looks alright. I haven't played it as I really don't want to spend $15 on a Phone app just yet, but I can see how it could work.

#4 Edited by illmatic87 (15521 posts) -

I own quite alot of SHMUPS on my smartphone. While they transition better than most genres. They're too fidgety. The only good Shmups are ones that only allow you to scroll left and right on the bottom of the screen. But in a way, the small screen actually makes bullet hell moments alot easier to take in what's going on as the smaller presentation and higher focus feels like there's less to take in. Whether or not that's a positive or negative thing is subjective.

Twin stick shooters work waaaay better and are probably the perfect smartphone action games.

#5 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6635 posts) -

Touch controls for shmups are quite awful. (Although my bro had the No.1 rank in US ESPgaluda ii on Android for a good amount of time). 8 directions still works fine for the genre.