Shitty game, incredible sequel

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

• Persona/Persona 2 (mediocre) to Persona 3/Persona 4 (amazing)

Persona and Persona 2 (both Persona 2 games) were ultimately really poor spin off takes on the Shin Megami Tensei concept. The promise of the Persona concept would ultimately be realized in Persona 3, which was a breath of fresh air in a fast stagnating genre, and then further improved in Persona 4, which would cement Persona as one of the forerunners in the RPG genre.

Persona 2 is mediocre? What are you smoking bro? Have you even played P2 IS or EP or you´re just talking out of your ass?

Persona 2 mediocre...now I´ve heard everything lol.

This...

WTF? Persona 2 was great.

So was Age of Empires 1.

Like the person above me...What are you smoking?

On the other hand you like Mario 13216161 and other ninty rehashes and gimmicks so your gaming taste is very doubtful.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Suppaman100

@kinectthedots said:

MGS < MGS2 (yeah I said it)

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

Just Cause 1 to JC2.

The first Just Cause didn't even feel finished. It was an absolute mess, which makes it so unbelievable that the same studio that produced that, was able to produce Just Cause 2.

The only correct answer in this thread. There are plenty of games listed that could run for "most improved sequel" but the original was a shitty game? Really?

I wanna know what gaming nirvana people are in when they consider titles like Pokemon Yellow or Max Payne bad games.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Killzone 6.9 to Killzone 2 got a 9

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#56  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

TC obviously doesn't know what 'shitty' means. Age of Empires 1 is 'shitty'? It revolutionized the RTS genre. Assassin's Creed 1 shitty? A game which got 9/10 on Gamespot?

Just because the sequel is better, doesn't mean it's shitty. Get your facts and logic straight TC.

But Assassin's Creed 1 is shitty. It is a soul crushingly repetitive and tedious game with nothing good to offer outside of production values/awesome cities.

I don't really give a shit what Gamespot thinks of the game. AC1 is a shiny turd, but it's a turd nevertheless. I was actually pissed that I wasted 40 bucks on it (it was my own fault tho; I should have watched some Lets Play footage).

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By GreySeal9

@Suppaman100 said:

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Persona and Persona 2 (both Persona 2 games) were ultimately really poor spin off takes on the Shin Megami Tensei concept. The promise of the Persona concept would ultimately be realized in Persona 3, which was a breath of fresh air in a fast stagnating genre, and then further improved in Persona 4, which would cement Persona as one of the forerunners in the RPG genre.

Persona 2 is mediocre? What are you smoking bro? Have you even played P2 IS or EP or you´re just talking out of your ass?

This...

So was Age of Empires 1.

On the other hand you like Mario 13216161 and other ninty rehashes and gimmicks so your gaming taste is very doubtful.

You should probably stop being so butthurt that other people don't like the games you like. Being butthurt about other people's gaming preferences is for losers.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

what? Assassin Creed 1 is shitty game now? thats news for me

Awesome game, loved every moment of it.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

(PS2) Zone of the Enders to Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner.(Best version now on PS3)

Fantastic leap. Not had a game beat its fast action gameplay yet. Especially when you get 'Zero Shift' and you basically become this blink combat mecha God. Passed that it's a thrill ride to end with rival duels and the such like.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 GreySeal9

@misterpmedia said:

(PS2) Zone of the Enders to Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner.(Best version now on PS3)

Fantastic leap. Not had a game beat its fast action gameplay yet. Especially when you get 'Zero Shift' and you basically become this blink combat mecha God. Passed that it's a thrill ride to end with rival duels and the such like.

I bought Zone of the Enders 1 earlier this year and was surprised at how mediocre it was. I remembered it being so much better back in the day.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Half Life 1 to Half Life 2

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#62 PAL360  Online
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Killzone to Killzone 2 and Uncharted to Uncharted 2

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PAL360  Online
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

Street Fighters to Street Fighters 2.

Good one. Also Streets of Rage to Streets of Rage 2.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

gotta be Uncharted to Uncharted 2. that sequel propel the game into stardom.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@misterpmedia said:

I bought Zone of the Enders 1 earlier this year and was surprised at how mediocre it was. I remembered it being so much better back in the day.

Yeah the first was OK for its day and to me was some sort of experiment as the 2nd Runner improved literally every aspect....apart from people's names lol. "DINGO!".

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23905 Posts

F-Zero to F-Zero X

Edit: Super Mario 3D Land to 3D World,

Everything has improved so much and the levels are much more creative. Also, I did not defeat Bowser with over 100 remaining lives like I did in 3D Land.

@charizard1605 said:

Say this on some places and the SMT fanboys will flame you... hard. Seeing as there are quite a few SMT fanboys who hate Persona 3 and 4 with a burning passion and like Persona 1 and 2. Also the fact that you fight a certain controversial figure in Persona 2 alone makes it a better game than Persona 3: cant control your party members edition.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Assassin's Creed 1-crap

Assassin's Creed 2-great

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#68  Edited By Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Zelda II-LTTP

AC1-AC2

FFXIV-FFXIV ARR

Red Dead Revolver-Red Dead Redemption

Hitman 1-Hitman 2

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

No way. Persona 2 may be grindy and a little repetitive, but the story is the best in the series. By far. God, i gotta replay Innocent Sin soon.

I forgot how engrossed i was in the plot, well writen and interesting, complemented by a cast of great characters.

Give the game a chance, bro.

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

Civilization (amazing) to Civilization II (absolutely legendary)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Final Fantasy 8 - Final Fantasy 9

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Red Steel 1 (garbage)

Red Steel 2 (great)

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

I completely lost you after you said Assassins creed one was flawed and ACII was not when ACII had the same flaws in the system and amplified it on only fixed like 3 things. Especially how you go around the world. It is however, less repetitive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#74 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

This...

So was Age of Empires 1.

Lol, presumption much?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#75 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

This...

So was Age of Empires 1.

Did you just say Arach likes Mario games?

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

Cant say any of the following originals are shitty, but their next iteration blows its predecessor outta the water...,

• Earth 2140 to Earth 2150
  • Baldurs Gate to Baldurs Gate II
  • Independence War to IW2
  • Forza 2 to Forza 3
  • Neverwinter Nights to NW2

God forfuckinbid that Baldurs Gate III lands in the right kickstarters hands I will die a happy man.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

This...

So was Age of Empires 1.

Did you just say Arach likes Mario games?

Pretty sure he was agreeing with arach and the mario part(as well as the whole last paragraph) was clearly directed at charizard.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@misterpmedia said:

I wouldint call it mediocre.It was just ok.ZOE2 was a big improvement.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By GreySeal9

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@misterpmedia said:

It's certainly not a bad game (ZEO1), but I think it never does anything with its potential. It has a hell of an atmosphere, but the game is just way too shallow and repetitive.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Suppaman100

@GreySeal9 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

This...

So was Age of Empires 1.

On the other hand you like Mario 13216161 and other ninty rehashes and gimmicks so your gaming taste is very doubtful.shuo

You should probably stop being so butthurt that other people don't like the games you like. Being butthurt about other people's gaming preferences is for losers.

And you should stop being so butthurt that other people have other opinions and like to discuss these opinions on forums. That's what forums are for you know, after 22k+ posts, you've wasted enough time here to know this.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GreySeal9

@Suppaman100 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Arach666 said:

@charizard1605 said:

This...

So was Age of Empires 1.

On the other hand you like Mario 13216161 and other ninty rehashes and gimmicks so your gaming taste is very doubtful.shuo

And you should stop being so butthurt that other people have other opinions and like to discuss these opinions on forums. That's what forums are for you know, after 22k+ posts, you've wasted enough time here to know this.

Oh, the "stop being butthurt about my butthurt" defense. Never seen that before.

BTW, the overwhelming majority of my post counts come from OT, homie.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#82 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'd have to go with

Majoras Mask > Oot

Half Life 2 > Half Life 1

MGS3 > MGS2

AC4 > AC3

Skyrim > Oblivion

Fallout NV > Fallout 3

FF11 or FF12 if you don't want to count MMO's > FF10

FF6 > FF5

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#83  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Age of Empires, Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2 were good games. I got bored of FC3 faster than I did 2. And I've replayed AC probably 5 times compared to only once of ACII.

Also: Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten = GOAT

I think the only game set that could come close enough to qualify for such a drastic change in quality would be Zone of the Enders and The 2nd Runner. The first ZOE was very basic, dull and tedious in every regard. It was a chore to play and finish and a test of patience. The 2nd Runner was one of the PS2's most outstanding games and one of the best gaming experiences of the 6th console generation.

And if mid-series examples count: Devil May Cry 2 -> Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Batman AA is goodish (overly powerful detective mode almost ruins the game imo), Batman AC is amazing.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By finalfantasy94

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@misterpmedia said:

It's certainly not a bad game (ZEO1), but I think it never does anything with its potential. It has a hell of an atmosphere, but the game is just way too shallow and repetitive.

if I recall game was kinda short as well but it did set a nice foundation to build off from for the next.Still had a fun time with it that by the end I said "wait thats it no more?"Thankfully we got a sequel so I can get more of it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By GreySeal9

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@misterpmedia said:

if I recall game was kinda short as well.Still had fun with it though.

Yeah, it was definitely short, and to be fair, MGS is short as well, but MGS games pack so much more in the way of dynamic scenarios into their short playtime than ZOE did.

I loved the hell out of the atmosphere and I enjoyed the story as well (despite the annoying lead character), so it wasn't a total bust.

I really need to play ZOE2.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@GreySeal9 said:

Yes, you do. The HD collection makes finding the game much easier and cheaper now. Before it was announced, the average used copy was going for $50-60. It's one of the best games on the PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

Uncharted to Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed 2.

Exactly the two answers I was gonna say

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GreySeal9

@foxhound_fox said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Yes, you do. The HD collection makes finding the game much easier and cheaper now. Before it was announced, the average used copy was going for $50-60. It's one of the best games on the PS2.

I heard the HD versions have some framerate jitters. Did they take care of that or was it never true to begin with?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By finalfantasy94

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@misterpmedia said:

if I recall game was kinda short as well.Still had fun with it though.

Yeah, it was definitely short, and to be fair, MGS is short as well, but MGS games pack so much more in the way of dynamic scenarios into their short playtime than ZOE did.

I loved the hell out of the atmosphere and I enjoyed the story as well (despite the annoying lead character), so it wasn't a total bust.

I cant recall the leads personality in 1 that well.I do remember him showing up again in 2 and he was pretty cool there.I also thought his ship was pretty badass.I got the ZOE collection and I intend to give both another playthrough.I just got a huge freaking backlog.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#91  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I don't know about incredible sequels

But Uncharted 1 is a poor shooter. Uncharted 2 was tons of fun

God of War 1 sucks. God of War 2? actually the only game in the series I enjoy

Resistance 1-2? the word generic doesn't do it justice. Resistance 3? Sure not great, but way more fun than a Resistance game before that ever was.

Edit: Wait timeout. Fallout 3 sucked, but New Vegas? is legit excellent. Would actually fit the title.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Fallout 3 --- New Vegas - Same engine, same basic gameplay, vastly superior game. Better writing, quests, systems, storyline, everything. Obsidian outdid Bethesda in every single area.

The Suffering --- Ties that Bind - the first Suffering was a decent horror themed shooter/beat 'em up. The second was thematically disturbing, solidly written, and featured much better combat scenarios and a more interesting plot-line.

Ninja Gaiden --- Ninja Gaiden 2 - No doubt many will disagree with me on this. Ninja Gaiden retained too many elements of the traditional action adventure game. NG2 was stripped-down, almost entirely pure action. It is incomparably more intense, and has better replay value.

Demon's Souls --- Dark Souls - on account of world design, basically. Demon's Souls is a good game but doesn't feel as complete, as of one piece, as Dark Souls.

Metroid Prime --- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - the second Metroid Prime is pretty underrated. The first receives credit for its originality, but the second is deeper, more intricate, better designed, better atmosphere, art, everything.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By finalfantasy94

@jethrovegas said:

Fallout 3 --- New Vegas - Same engine, same basic gameplay, vastly superior game. Better writing, quests, systems, storyline, everything. Obsidian outdid Bethesda in every single area.

The Suffering --- Ties that Bind - the first Suffering was a decent horror themed shooter/beat 'em up. The second was thematically disturbing, solidly written, and featured much better combat scenarios and a more interesting plot-line.

Ninja Gaiden --- Ninja Gaiden 2 - No doubt many will disagree with me on this. Ninja Gaiden retained too many elements of the traditional action adventure game. NG2 was stripped-down, almost entirely pure action. It is incomparably more intense, and has better replay value.

Demon's Souls --- Dark Souls - on account of world design, basically. Demon's Souls is a good game but doesn't feel as complete, as of one piece, as Dark Souls.

Metroid Prime --- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - the second Metroid Prime is pretty underrated. The first receives credit for its originality, but the second is deeper, more intricate, better designed, better atmosphere, art, everything.

I personally would ranked prime 2 as my least favorite prime game.I didint like the dark world much. Also MP1 knew when to throw you a bone. After a good amount of time MP1 would notice hey this person is lost well give them a hint.MP2 didint really do that. I know some people like that but I tend to get annoyed when a game leaves you lost with zero hints for a very very very long time.Also after playing demon souls and dark souls I would pick demon any day of the week.I also would love another game like the suffering. I really enjoyed both those games.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#94 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Hitman to Hitman 2 comes to mind.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Kill zone 1 -2 big upgrade, dark souls is A spiritual successor not a sequel to demons souls

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

@charizard1605: if we're gonna say ac1-2 we should also say ac3-4 as the leap in quality and entertainment was pretty much the same across those games.

Gta4 - 5 was a massive leap in quality.

Far Cry was an excellent pick.

Oh and spirit tracks - ALBW.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#97 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Assassin's Creed 2 outshines the first one in just about every way, if not every way.

And stop saying Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time. That is a wrong opinion.

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts

Gear of War 2 - Gears of War 3

Tony Hawk Pro Skater - THPS 2

Call of Duty 3 - Call of Duty 4 (this may not be completely fair since there are different developers involved)

SSX Tricky - SSX 3

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Gta 4 to gta 5. I couldn't stand gta 4 while gta 5 is my game of the gen.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#100 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

Funny you bring this up. We've seen where developers take feedback from the fans (Assassin's Creed being among the best examples) leads to taking a concept, and polishing the rough edges. Gamers win.

How many people here feel that Too Human deserves a second chance? Yeah it had its flaws, but wasn't really "broken" by any stretch. The hack n' slash combat was immensely satisfying in its visceral way. I mean it was more kinetic than most others of this type. The leveling and loot was greatly rewarding. And it had a rich lore to explore. If a sequel were permitted, all they'd have to do is address the more glaring issues;

* make the death cinematic skippable

* tweak the camera control

* tweak the analog attack targeting, or just find a new mechanic to replace it

* increase the quantity & variety of the maps, don't have players repeat 4 zones to reach level 50 and higher

* increase the variety of enemies beyond recycling the same templates with different colour schemes

If Silicon Knights had been given the chance to absorb the fan feedback, they could have taken a rough stone and turned it into a real gem.

Anybody else feel the same and hoped for an improved sequel?

Totally agree. I always said, this game was among my guilty pleasures along with the Kane and Lynch games. They are rough, flawed. But I had so much fun, nonetheless. Would love someone to buy the IP and get a remake without Unreal, and continue it. My newest guilty pleasure has been Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate. Its got me.