Shenmue gets all the hype now , yet............

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

You don't talk about Yakuza.

Why is that?

Have you played the game.

What makes Shenmue better then Yakuza?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I haven't played Yakuza.

Also Shenmue 2 was left with a cliffhanger for 14 years now.

Finally, Shenmue is a game that's heavily attached to teh Dreamcast, SEGA's last console. So there's a large sense of nostalgia, like otehr DC games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I don't know, bruvva.

I just know I like the Yakuza and I'm looking forward to Yakuza 5. I hope Shenmue actually happens. Properly. Because there's some people hungry for more Shenmue, and it's a good excuse for me to drop in.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ant_17

@deadline-zero0:A lot of games where attached to the DC - Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi - yet those games don't have e new version made.

@freedomfreak:Thats the thing.Why are they hungry when the Yakuza games are similar. Is it the Story? Or the characters?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

@Ant_17: The story and characters, perhaps? Honestly, I can't tell you because I haven't played Shenmue.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

people are hyped for shenmue 3 because the series never ended and the last game ended with the cliffhanger.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Ant_17: those games didn't end on a cliffhanger. but in case you missed it, they're also remember fondly. Shenmue is just one those that's above most of the DC's exclusives

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

LOL hilarious.

Probably because Yakuza isn't even in the same league.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@RR360DD said:

LOL hilarious.

Yeah that's true. It's leauges better than Shenmue. And Yakuza is garbage.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@RR360DD said:

LOL hilarious.

Yeah that's true. It's leauges better than Shenmue. And Yakuza is garbage.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I can't wait for yakuza 5. It's one of the many reasons I still keep my ps3 hooked up. I hope people support and buy it, otherwise knowing Sega, we may never see another one ever again.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

Why is that?

I love both and wish freaking Sega would have continue with Shenmue instead of giving up!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ant_17

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Ant_17: those games didn't end on a cliffhanger. but in case you missed it, they're also remember fondly. Shenmue is just one those that's above most of the DC's exclusives

Don't get the idea that i hate Jet Set Radio or Crazy Taxi.The guy that made JST are now on the Yakuza team.

But is that all that makes people demand a Senmue 3? The cliffhanger in 2?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Don't get the idea that i hate Jet Set Radio or Crazy Taxi.The guy that made JST are now on the Yakuza team.

But is that all that makes people demand a Senmue 3? The cliffhanger in 2?

Yes, the cliffhanger. The thing about Yakuza is that each game has its own complete story, with its own complete ending. On the other hand, each Shenmue game is an episode of a larger ongoing story, with each game ending on a cliffhanger. That's why there's more demand for Shenmue III in the West, although Japan prefers Yakuza.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Ant_17: people are giving them money, that's the difference

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ant_17

@The_Last_Ride said:

People give money to a lot of stuff on KS.

Its not hard to get money from nostalgia , but then again:

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Because Yakuza has been a very poor substitute for the real thing all these years.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@Ant_17 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

People give money to a lot of stuff on KS.

Its not hard to get money from nostalgia , but then again:

If Uwe can't get his shit kickstarted, doesn't that defeat your point :3?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Yeah i feel like others, i always thought of Yakuza as a poor mans Shenmue. Sleeping Dogs is closer to Shenmue then that game.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If you've never played Shenmue, then you will never understand.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ant_17

@The_Last_Ride: He is the only one / i think/ that didn't get not 1 not 2 but 3 KS up.

My point is : You have to be he's level of dick to not get money.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jag85

The Yakuza series has better-written scripts than the Shenmue series (the first two Yakuza scripts were written by an award-winning crime fiction novelist). And because most of the Yakuza games aren't dubbed, you don't have to put up with bad dubbed voice acting in Yakuza either. The first Yakuza was dubbed, and it wasn't very good (although Mark Hamill did a good job). But the lack of dubbing in later games creates a cultural barrier, preventing Yakuza from crossing-over successfully to the West. The fact that Shenmue is dubbed, even if it sounds bad and cringe-worthy, gives it wider appeal to more Western audiences. Yakuza's world also has a bigger scale than Shenmue, with Yakuza's scale more comparable to the GTA games. Yakuza also has more mini-games than both Shenmue and GTA, and a more well-researched, realistic representation of the Yakuza criminal organizations than GTA's Mafia and Shenmue's Triads.

But on the other hand, Shenmue's world feels more full of life. In the first Shenmue, for example, each of the 300+ NPCs in the town has their own name, profile, age, job, biography, voiced dialogues, daily/weekly/seasonal schedules, etc. It had over 42,000 lines (over 10 hours worth) of recorded voiced dialogues. You can talk to any NPC, knock on every door, open every cupboard, dial any phone, open any book, etc. The day-night cycles are linked to the seasons and real-time weather (based on the actual historical weather), with the NPC AI adjusting to the seasons and weather. That kind of level-of-detail is very rare for open-world games even today, let alone in 1999. Yakuza has the better-written scripts and the larger world, but Shenmue still has the more believable life-like world.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

I've heard that this series is great. I never played any of the games before. Here's a video about one level in Shenmue 1.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/m496zv/level-shenmue--mad-angels-brawl

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

^^ I have to agree with you on the script quality, but only for the first two games in the series, and it's not because Hase Seishuu penned them alone: I've played most of them and Hase Seishuu reprised his writing role for Yakuza 5, and the plot of that game is both convoluted and contrived.

That's what happens when you annualise a series and keep giving yourself less and less room to maneovre each year. It's a bit of a tough comparison because the Shenmue games have been penned as parts of a larger story, whereas with Yakuza they are making it up as they go. Now that the series is annualised I think Sega should start thinking ahead about where the series is going in the same way Marvel has a plan for its Marvel-verse.

I actually wrote an article detailing what makes Shenmue unique, especially in contrast to Yakuza.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ant_17

@Articuno76 said:

^^ I have to agree with you on the script quality, but only for the first two games in the series, and it's not because Hase Seishuu penned them alone: I've played most of them and Hase Seishuu reprised his writing role for Yakuza 5, and the plot of that game is both convoluted and contrived.

That's what happens when you annualise a series and keep giving yourself less and less room to maneovre each year. It's a bit of a tough comparison because the Shenmue games have been penned as parts of a larger story, whereas with Yakuza they are making it up as they go. Now that the series is annualised I think Sega should start thinking ahead about where the series is going in the same way Marvel has a plan for its Marvel-verse.

I actually wrote an article detailing what makes Shenmue unique, especially in contrast to Yakuza.

I don't know about convoluted , but i think that the main story is really going in circles.

They always need to find who stole some money or who killed some guy and the plot twist of some guy switching sides.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@Ant_17 said:

@The_Last_Ride: He is the only one / i think/ that didn't get not 1 not 2 but 3 KS up.

Well there are KS that have taken money but not delivered

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ant_17

@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:

Didn't they fixed that?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@Ant_17 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:

Didn't they fixed that?

Nope, i think recently like last year there was Extra Credits or some other youtube channel who was suppose to deliver a game with the money. The cancelled the game, but didn't offer any refunds

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ant_17

@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:

Didn't they fixed that?

Nope, i think recently like last year there was Extra Credits or some other youtube channel who was suppose to deliver a game with the money. The cancelled the game, but didn't offer any refunds

Well that sucks.

You would think this will be fixed by now.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Last_Ride

@Ant_17 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Well that sucks.

You would think this will be fixed by now.

As far as i know it isn't. Remember when Facebook bought Oculus and how pissed people were? They basicly funded the whole thing, then only to see the people get rich because of them and they didn't get a dime. That's why i strongly hate kickstarter. If these companies are serious, they should be selling stocks in the company instead of just letting the people take the risk and they get the money

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Articuno76

@Ant_17 said:
@Articuno76 said:

I don't know about convoluted , but i think that the main story is really going in circles.

They always need to find who stole some money or who killed some guy and the plot twist of some guy switching sides.

Yeah. That is actually more accurate. It's not convoluted in the sense of being overly complex, but it feels like there's always just one more unnecessary reveal/betrayal between you and what the story is actually about. To the point where it just becomes silly.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ant_17

@Articuno76: Hahaha

Yeah , but "Silly" is what Yakuza does best.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Nothing makes Shenmue better than Yakuza, Yakuza is way more enjoyable as a video game. Shenmue was impressive tech turned into a poorly made game, Yakuza is actually fun. Nagoshi is chill as hell, more of that guy please.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jag85

@Articuno76 said:

Are you sure Hase Seishuu wrote Yakuza 5? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about him having any involvement. All I can find is that he left the series after Yakuza 2. Can't speak for Yakuza 5, but if it really is convoluted and contrived as you say, then it doesn't sound like Hase Seishuu wrote it.

By the way, nice article. It does a good job highlighting some of the things that make Shenmue unique. It's amazing just how ahead of its time it was, and even after 16 years, it still feels unique compared to most open-world games today. Shenmue just can't be directly compared to any other open-world games, Yakuza is as close as it gets, but even that can't be directly compared to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

@Articuno76: Hahaha

Yeah , but "Silly" is what Yakuza does best.

R.I.P. Tiger 1

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Bonds of people is the true power. Shenmue was globally dead for 10 years and the very loyal and vocal fan base kept its name alive. It also does help that Shenmue is a better franchise than Yakuza.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Articuno76

@Jag85 said:
@Articuno76 said:

Are you sure Hase Seishuu wrote Yakuza 5? I can't seem to find anything on the internet about him having any involvement. All I can find is that he left the series after Yakuza 2. Can't speak for Yakuza 5, but if it really is convoluted and contrived as you say, then it doesn't sound like Hase Seishuu wrote it.

By the way, nice article. It does a good job highlighting some of the things that make Shenmue unique. It's amazing just how ahead of its time it was, and even after 16 years, it still feels unique compared to most open-world games today. Shenmue just can't be directly compared to any other open-world games, Yakuza is as close as it gets, but even that can't be directly compared to it.

Thanks. After looking into it I can't find info confirming Seishuu worked on 5 either. I saw some Japanese commenters noting they couldn't believe Seishuu was involved back when the game came out because of how poor the story was, but it could be they were simply misinformed of the fact.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Shenmue was groundbreaking. Okay the games dated but back then it was a revolution. Yakuza just isn't and never has been.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Nothing makes Shenmue better than Yakuza, Yakuza is way more enjoyable as a video game. Shenmue was impressive tech turned into a poorly made game, Yakuza is actually fun. Nagoshi is chill as hell, more of that guy please.

You're probably one of those weirdos that loves stupid shit like the 40 Year Old Virgin and despises good shit like Hot Fuzz. Just a guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:

Didn't they fixed that?

That would be the Yogscast

I'm now really curious to an Extra Credits game. How does one design a game about game design? It will truly be the most pointless and amazing game of all time.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FrozenLiquid

Shenmue and Yakuza could not be any more different from each other. It's honestly like comparing GTA IV to Just Cause 2. They incredibly different in tone and purpose.

Yakuza 1 & 2 were written by a crime novelist? Is the crime novelist any good? Because I can't really remember the story or remember caring too much for Kazuma's betrayal. And it did have some weird unrealistic shit in it that I kinda expected from a video game writer instead.

As for Shenmue, I've been waiting 14 years to kill Lan Di. How dare he murder Ryo's father. I will have my revenge.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jag85

@FrozenLiquid said:

Shenmue and Yakuza could not be any more different from each other. It's honestly like comparing GTA IV to Just Cause 2. They incredibly different in tone and purpose.

Yakuza 1 & 2 were written by a crime novelist? Is the crime novelist any good? Because I can't really remember the story or remember caring too much for Kazuma's betrayal. And it did have some weird unrealistic shit in it that I kinda expected from a video game writer instead.

As for Shenmue, I've been waiting 14 years to kill Lan Di. How dare he murder Ryo's father. I will have my revenge.

Hase Seishu is an award-winning crime fiction novelist. He won a crime fiction award, and two of his novels were turned into movies. But since Yakuza is a video game, it's bound to have some gamey elements to its story. It also doesn't help that the first game didn't have good dubbing (Mark Hamill was the only good voice actor), so Sega just dropped the dubbing altogether in the sequels. Nevertheless, Yakuza is the most realistic crime simulator in gaming, with much of the series based on authentic Yakuza operations (it's been fact-checked with actual Yakuza), in contrast to GTA and its clones which are just based on Hollywood cliches of the Mafia.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FrozenLiquid

@Jag85 said:
@FrozenLiquid said:

Hase Seishu is an award-winning crime fiction novelist. He won a crime fiction award, and two of his novels were turned into movies. But since Yakuza is a video game, it's bound to have some gamey elements to its story. It also doesn't help that the first game didn't have good dubbing (Mark Hamill was the only good voice actor), so Sega just dropped the dubbing altogether in the sequels. Nevertheless, Yakuza is the most realistic crime simulator in gaming, with much of the series based on authentic Yakuza operations (it's been fact-checked with actual Yakuza), in contrast to GTA and its clones which are just based on Hollywood cliches of the Mafia.

The underground super surveillance part of the story was not necessarily 'gamey'. It just existed.

I've read that article before. They say half the stuff in the game is incorrect as much as half was correct. Also, it's the yakuza, who'll take any good PR thrown their way.

Loading Video...

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Yakuza is an old-school beat em up with an overly convoluted story. Shenmue is more of a detective game with a shit ton of QTE's and sometimes fighting that resembles a dumbed down Virtua Fighter game.

The only similarities between these 2 games are in the design of the mini-games and maybe a little bit when it comes to the art-style. :::Almost forgot, when you have to chase someone in Yakuza that's 100% taken from Shenmue.

Although the hype of Shenmue comes from a really tiny but loud minority. In the real world most people don't know what that game even is and I really doubt it will sell in the millions.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Last_Ride

@toast_burner said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Ant_17 said:

Didn't they fixed that?

I'm now really curious to an Extra Credits game. How does one design a game about game design? It will truly be the most pointless and amazing game of all time.

yeah that was it, couldn't come up with the name of the top of my head

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
@Ant_17 said:

Why is that?

Yakuza didn't go away for over a decade and then have a sequel announced at Sony's E3 stage just recently.

Loading Video...
@toast_burner said:

It was pretty good.