Shawn Layden Confirms "Last Guardian in full develpment"

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by mario-galaxys (574 posts) -

I had to wonder why some games get to be developed for a ridiculous long period of time.

#52 Posted by Bruin1986 (1629 posts) -

I haven't been following this game too closely recently, but I was intrigued very much at its announcement.

That said, extremely long development cycles are rarely a good thing. They suggest internal conflicts over the direction a game should take by the developer, or fighting with publishers.

I hope I'm wrong.

#53 Edited by santoron (8581 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

You don't seem to understand the point I'm trying to make here. You should probably stop.

I believe I understand you perfectly, and I'm saying you should rethink your position. It's stupid.

@foxhound_fox said:

10 is three more years than 7. That's enough for a whole new game to be made in.

My point was reflective of decade-long development cycles and games like Too Human and DNF.

You asked for 9, lowered to 5, received multiple games that were 5-9 years long, and now want longer to prove.... nothing. Because you can't prove that the long development time caused any game to become bad.

And all of this because you think a game should become "the best thing ever" for the audacity of making you wait.

#54 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1134 posts) -

@gpuking: You will. If not, it will assuredly be at TGS.

#55 Posted by santoron (8581 posts) -

@Bruin1986 said:

I haven't been following this game too closely recently, but I was intrigued very much at its announcement.

That said, extremely long development cycles are rarely a good thing. They suggest internal conflicts over the direction a game should take by the developer, or fighting with publishers.

I hope I'm wrong.

And in this case we know for sure that conflicts existed at least at one point. But they also suggest a commitment by the publisher and the development team to get it right and not put a game out just to be done with it.

I can't tell you that TLG won't be terrible, but I can say that it's being made by developers that have shown they can put out a good game. I won't over hype the game, but I'll maintain optimism that it'll be a good game when (if?) it comes out, because if you decide a game will suck before you even play it, you're unlikely to have a good time. So why even bother?

#56 Posted by MirkoS77 (11068 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

We are on year 9 of development (started shortly after Shadow of the Colossus finished).

If it takes a decade for this game to come out, it better be the best thing ever.

Why? What does it matter how long they spent on it? You won't pay a dime more... a good game is good no matter how many people worked on it, or how long they worked.

The only problem here was announcing the game way too soon, and that's a problem plaguing the industry. I really don't want to hear about any game more than a year or so before it releases. Still, that's a problem of people not containing their own excitement, not a problem with the quality of the game.

Name a game in development for 9 years that has gone on to win accolades and sell millions.

Duke Nuke 'em Forever. Didn't sell millions, but won "worst game" at a few places IIRC.

Are you playing Star Citizen's dogfighting module, btw?

#57 Posted by cainetao11 (28212 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

the last giant enemy crab

They're going to attack it again for MASSIVE DAMAGE?!!!

Loading Video...

I don't know what I don't have enabled, but often times I don't see videos or pictures posted here.

#58 Posted by RR360DD (13555 posts) -

This game has everything going against it. Development hell, coming from a japanese studio with unrealisitic hype.

Guaranteed disappointment. Sorry cows.

#59 Posted by killerfist (20051 posts) -

I have little hope left for this game. At this point it's probably going to be a let down.

#61 Edited by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

Sony will never let it release; because they want to honor the fallen enemy crabs over the years

#62 Posted by zeeshanhaider (4854 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

lol! the last guardian has lems and herms laying load after load in their pants.

Prepare for your destruction.

Yeah because SCEJ is such a formidable force that.....that...........I don't even remember what they do anymore. -_-

#63 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2883 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

@foxhound_fox said:

We are on year 9 of development (started shortly after Shadow of the Colossus finished).

If it takes a decade for this game to come out, it better be the best thing ever.

Exactly.

I'm really glad they confirmed it, now we only need to see some gameplay at E3.

I'm sceptical about it, games that go through development hell rarely turn out well. Everything is possible though :)

Avatar image for always_explicit
#64 Posted by always_explicit (3370 posts) -

Sony...greatness waits

#65 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

well E3 + TLG + PS4 = awesome (however I am not setting my hopes too high)

#66 Posted by TheEroica (16424 posts) -

@Desmonic: 2019? Damn you're generous. ;)

#67 Posted by Sollet (8016 posts) -

They better show something or mention something regarding this game during E3! Otherwise it's all talk no walk, vaporware etc.

#68 Posted by aroxx_ab (12650 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

We all know what happens to games that stay to long in the oven. Look at Duke Nukem etc...

I stopped care about this game long time ago to get excited. When/if i can buy it at retail then maybe...

#69 Posted by freedomfreak (48813 posts) -

lol

#70 Posted by m_machine024 (15324 posts) -

They could at least show a screenshot......

Hmm if it ever comes out one day, I'll still check it out, even if it ends up disappointing.

#71 Edited by Jag85 (8806 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:

@Jag85 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

They're going to attack it again for MASSIVE DAMAGE?!!!

I don't know what I don't have enabled, but often times I don't see videos or pictures posted here.

I'll just post a link instead:

Giant Enemy Crab! Massive Damage mix

#72 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

I hear Sunset Overdrive is in full development too. Just a rumor though.

#73 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@TheEroica: IGN fucked up when they posted it was cancelled

#74 Posted by D4RKL1NG (278 posts) -

Even if this releases tomorrow it will never live up to the hype and just be a massive disappointment. :( Might as well just can it and call it a day

#75 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Found another game in full development.

#76 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@TheEroica: This is great news :D

#77 Posted by cainetao11 (28212 posts) -

@Jag85:

That is funny shyte!! I want to put that as a ring tone for one of my buddies who is a Massive Cow.

#78 Posted by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

PS5 launch game more than likely.

#79 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

Apparently it's not gonna be at E3 this year...... what a fucking joke if true

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/09/the-last-guardian-e3-2014-ps4-sony-wont-show-this-week/

#80 Posted by SonySoldier-_- (1186 posts) -

They need to show some actual gameplay or keep their mouth shut about it "being in development". What have they been doing all these years?? Standing around with their thumbs up their butts?

#81 Posted by TheEroica (16424 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Apparently it's not gonna be at E3 this year...... what a fucking joke if true

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/09/the-last-guardian-e3-2014-ps4-sony-wont-show-this-week/

yeah if its not shown tonight it makes it real tough to muster any hype whatsoever.

#82 Edited by clr84651 (5627 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

PS5 launch game more than likely.

It's on PS4 or it's not coming out ever.

#83 Edited by foxhound_fox (95256 posts) -

@santoron said:

You asked for 9, lowered to 5, received multiple games that were 5-9 years long, and now want longer to prove.... nothing. Because you can't prove that the long development time caused any game to become bad.

And all of this because you think a game should become "the best thing ever" for the audacity of making you wait.

I said a decade. Never changed from that.

You started naming games with ~5 year development cycles that won accolades. That was never my criteria. I was talking about a specific group of games that took over 10 years to make and turned out to be either god awful or downright bleh. If The Last Guardian is able to come out, after 9-10 years of development, at least half of which was in complete limbo, and be the game everyone who played and loved Shadow of the Colossus expects it to be, then I will be proven wrong.

I'm just being realistic here.

#84 Edited by foxhound_fox (95256 posts) -
@MirkoS77 said:

Are you playing Star Citizen's dogfighting module, btw?

As well as it will run on my laptop. So pretty much, just the free flight mode.

Tried the Vanduul Swarm at a friend's place. I'm in love.

#85 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1897 posts) -

If there is no mention of TLG at TGS, then we might have a problem here.

#86 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

Shawn Layden announcing anything ever again would be to soon!

#87 Posted by getyeryayasout (10444 posts) -

I vaguely recall one of Sony's suits saying that they would spread game announcements around between the big three gaming conferences. So, I choose to believe that TLG will make an appearance at TGS.

Although, at this point Team Ico should change their name to Team Ike-o, 'cuz I'm starting to feel a little like Tina.

#88 Posted by gago-gago (11428 posts) -

No game deserve to take this long to come out. I think we saw this all the way back in 2009. Sony failed again not mentioning anything at this E3 again even after IGN's error.

#89 Posted by PsychoLemons (2970 posts) -

Even if the game is going out of vapowareI highly doubt it was worth the wait.

#90 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (674 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

As a guy who still holds SotC as the best game ever..... TLG is gonna be a big let down whenever it does come out. No game can go through this much development hell and blow people away. There's clearly some big task they're trying to accomplish with the game and it's not happening. That or the game isn't very good and they're trying to make it better.

The game might be fine when it comes out but nowhere near the expectation it's set up for itself. People (including me obviously) have a skewed view of the game already

EDIT: Unless of course the entire project was restarted on PS4 and they're doing their best to port stuff over. Then maybe there's a hope

Meh, the level of hype that has been generated from the notion of the title is epic in proportion. I do not see how they could possibly live up to expectations at this point.