Shawn Layden Confirms "Last Guardian in full develpment"

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

Congrats @Blabadon ... Looks like that preorder still has some worth afterall.

What'cha think System Wars? True or False...

Geoff Keighley Posted 5 Minutes Ago -

Just interviewed Shawn Layden, new CEO of SCEA. He says The Last Guardian is in full development in Japan. Unequivocally. Full intvu tmrw.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

We are on year 9 of development (started shortly after Shadow of the Colossus finished).

If it takes a decade for this game to come out, it better be the best thing ever.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@foxhound_fox: mmmm next gen shadow of the colossus please....

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

But will we see it in 20 hours?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

damn it why are sony spoiling the surprise, they should have let people run the rumour that it is cancelled then blow everyone away with ending their conference with 5 min gameplay trailer of last guardian. that sh1t would have been epic

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

It was also in full development many years ago.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

the last giant enemy crab

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: it means its not going to be shown at E3

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I choose to believe that it's still on the way.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@ghostwarrior786: it means its not going yo be shown at E3

thats the spirit. do u hear that guys?? IT WONT BE SHOWN AT E3

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator

I hope it's killer... not invested enough in the games development to care either way, but if it does happen I hope it's legendary.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

We are on year 9 of development (started shortly after Shadow of the Colossus finished).

If it takes a decade for this game to come out, it better be the best thing ever.

Why? What does it matter how long they spent on it? You won't pay a dime more... a good game is good no matter how many people worked on it, or how long they worked.

The only problem here was announcing the game way too soon, and that's a problem plaguing the industry. I really don't want to hear about any game more than a year or so before it releases. Still, that's a problem of people not containing their own excitement, not a problem with the quality of the game.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

The truth will surface....

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Will be out in 4 years confirmed

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@getyeryayasout said:

I choose to believe that it's still on the way.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Can't say I care too much one way or the other at this point.

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing a sequel or a re-imagining of Shadow of the Colossus on current-gen consoles. That'd be sick.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Why? What does it matter how long they spent on it? You won't pay a dime more... a good game is good no matter how many people worked on it, or how long they worked.

The only problem here was announcing the game way too soon, and that's a problem plaguing the industry. I really don't want to hear about any game more than a year or so before it releases. Still, that's a problem of people not containing their own excitement, not a problem with the quality of the game.

Name a game in development for 9 years that has gone on to win accolades and sell millions.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Thank you based Sony.

Please Ico, release anything

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 santoron

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Name a game in development for 9 years that has gone on to win accolades and sell millions.

So all correlation equals causation?

Besides, you didn't say you thought it would be bad. You declared "it better be the best thing ever", because you aren't happy with the dev time. That's just silly.

If it's good I'll be happy. Considering the games these guy made before this, I think it has a decent chance at being a good game, whenever it arrives.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

LOL you were so happy jumping up and down in the other thread about TLG being cancelled.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By foxhound_fox

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Besides, you didn't say you thought it would be bad. You declared "it better be the best thing ever", because you aren't happy with the dev time. That's just silly.

If it's good I'll be happy. Considering the games these guy made before this, I think it has a decent chance at being a good game, whenever it arrives.

So you can't answer the question?

There have been plenty of examples of games that have been in development for 5+ years that have turned out less-than-stellar.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Exactly.

I'm really glad they confirmed it, now we only need to see some gameplay at E3.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 santoron

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

There have been plenty of examples of games that have been in development for 5+ years that have turned out less-than-stellar.

I revealed your question to be spurious. A straw man. Why answer an irrelevant question?

Now, quit trying to change your original assertion and tell me why a game has to be "the best thing ever" because you don't like the development time involved.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Damage control, nothing has been shown for 5 years, it's dead in the water, Sony won't confirm one of their biggest games is canned

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CyberLips

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Damage control, nothing has been shown for 5 years, it's dead in the water, Sony won't confirm one of their biggest games is canned

I'm sorry but your statement is stupid, do you think that they will keep lying about TLG being in development?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

People shouldn't be surprised, the last rumor was so on it's face faked anybody that bought it as a possibility should slap themselves silly, I mean a fuckiing Russian nobody says it's cancelled and people buy into it? What next, are people going to believe Gran Turismo 7 is an Xbox One exclusive because some Nigerian says so?

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

lol! the last guardian has lems and herms laying load after load in their pants.

Prepare for your destruction.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

As a guy who still holds SotC as the best game ever..... TLG is gonna be a big let down whenever it does come out. No game can go through this much development hell and blow people away. There's clearly some big task they're trying to accomplish with the game and it's not happening. That or the game isn't very good and they're trying to make it better.

The game might be fine when it comes out but nowhere near the expectation it's set up for itself. People (including me obviously) have a skewed view of the game already

EDIT: Unless of course the entire project was restarted on PS4 and they're doing their best to port stuff over. Then maybe there's a hope

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I'll take IGN Russia's word from their reliable Sony source over Shu Yoshida , Scott Rohde , and Shawn Layden.

I'm going to need further confirmations from Hiroshi Kawano , Allan Becker , and Kaz Harai - the god of Sony Corp.

Even if all of those guys confirm , I'm still going to want to talk to Gavin Moore and Mark Cerny just to be sure.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

They're going to attack it again for MASSIVE DAMAGE?!!!

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

TF2, Alan Wake, and "Fallout 3". Thing is, looking at the development cycle is totally irrelevant when each project is a different and the teams working to complete them are not the same either. I'm positive there's a ton of other games that could have been in "development" longer than we will ever know. And when you lower it to 5+ there's a ton of games that turned out well. I think this it is rather important to consider that it is Team Ico at the helm too. Would you rush a painter or an author to complete their work? No you wouldn't. I, for one, am glad that Sony has given them some liberty.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

i have to agree and it's why I wont ever get excited about this game. It should of came out last gen.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

As a guy who still holds SotC as the best game ever..... TLG is gonna be a big let down whenever it does come out. No game can go through this much development hell and blow people away. There's clearly some big task they're trying to accomplish with the game and it's not happening. That or the game isn't very good and they're trying to make it better.

The game might be fine when it comes out but nowhere near the expectation it's set up for itself. People (including me obviously) have a skewed view of the game already

EDIT: Unless of course the entire project was restarted on PS4 and they're doing their best to port stuff over. Then maybe there's a hope

But what if they do Accomplish it! I think there's a pretty good chance it was restarted for ps4.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CyberLips

@Nike_Air said:

I'll take IGN Russia's word from their reliable Sony source over Shu Yoshida , Scott Rohde , and Shawn Layden.

I'm going to need further confirmations from Hiroshi Kawano , Allan Becker , and Kaz Harai - the god of Sony Corp.

Even if all of those guys confirm , I'm still going to want to talk to Gavin Moore and Mark Cerny just to be sure.

But still, how can you be 100% sure? You sound very gullible to be honest. :/

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

I will believe it when it goes gold...........better yet, when i see it on the shelves.

Not getting sucked into this again....

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

@DarkLink77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Uhh...

"development on the game [...] began in 2003"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_II:_Wings_of_Liberty#Development

That's 7.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Maybe they are going the the Duke Nukem Forever record of 15 years in development... then when it comes out it's the biggest pile of shit ever.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By foxhound_fox

@LightR said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

TF2, Alan Wake, and "Fallout 3". Thing is, looking at the development cycle is totally irrelevant when each project is a different and the teams working to complete them are not the same either. I'm positive there's a ton of other games that could have been in "development" longer than we will ever know. And when you lower it to 5+ there's a ton of games that turned out well. I think this it is rather important to consider that it is Team Ico at the helm too. Would you rush a painter or an author to complete their work? No you wouldn't. I, for one, am glad that Sony has given them some liberty.

Team Fortress 2 is 8, but serious development didn't start till Half Life 2 came out.

Alan Wake is 5.

Fallout 3 is 3. :/ Van Buren was a different game.

I've only been talking about games that have been in consistent development for very near to or over a decade that have failed to live up to hype. Like Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever.

The Last Guardian is nearing this point, and really, for someone like me who has been following the game and wanted a PS3 for the game, is finding it very hard to believe that it will be even remotely as good as it should be. Not since the team has lost Ueda and had to restart the game several times.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Uhh...

That's 7.

Close enough.

Seven years resulted in the best multiplayer RTS ever made, despite the fact that that team was often pulled off that game to work on other projects. I wouldn't count a game out because of development time. A talented studio will release a good game regardless.

As a fun fact: Team Fortress 2 was in development for 9 years. Half-Life 2 was in development for 5. Resident Evil 4 was in development for 6 years and went through 4 different incarnations. Prey was in development for 11 years. Alan Wake was in development for 6. Bioshock Infinite was in development for 5. Red Dead Redemption was in development for 5. So was Grand Theft Auto V.

All of those games were well-received and some are considered all time classics. Writing a game off because of a long development time is a stupid thing to do. It depends entirely on the studio whether or not it will be good.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By santoron

@foxhound_fox said:

The Last Guardian is nearing this point, and really, for someone like me who has been following the game and wanted a PS3 for the game, is finding it very hard to believe that it will be even remotely as good as it should be. Not since the team has lost Ueda and had to restart the game several times.

And that's where I think you go off the rails. IF the game releases and I enjoy it, that will be that. I'm not going to sit there and stew about how I think it should've been better because time involved. Why would you?

The team involved has given me a couple games I really enjoyed. If they approach that quality with TLG then I don't much care how long they've been at it whether I'm playing in 2014 or 2024. Some books take a long time to write. Same with songs, movies, paintings, sculptures, ...and even a few video games. Enjoy art for what it is when it releases, not as what your hype built it up to be during the wait.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

If no release date then....

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 foxhound_fox

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

And that's where I think you go off the rails. IF the game releases and I enjoy it, that will be that. I'm not going to sit there and stew about how I think it should've been better because time involved. Why would you?

The team involved has given me a couple games I really enjoyed. If they approach that quality with TLG then I don't much care how long they've been at it whether I'm playing in 2014 or 2024. Some books take a long time to write. Same with songs, movies, paintings, sculptures, ...and even a few video games. Enjoy art for what it is when it releases, not as what your hype built it up to be during the wait.

You don't seem to understand the point I'm trying to make here. You should probably stop.

@DarkLink77 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Uhh...

That's 7.

Close enough.

10 is three more years than 7. That's enough for a whole new game to be made in.

My point was reflective of decade-long development cycles and games like Too Human and DNF.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#49 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

They're going to attack it again for MASSIVE DAMAGE?!!!

Loading Video...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

If sony is willing to deny bad rumors related to TLG I hope they are prepared to talk about the game soon.