September 7-13th: MS selling XBox One for (essentially) $279

• 93 results
#1 Posted by StormyJoe (5382 posts) -

New deal gives new console users a free game with purchase of a console. Here's the kicker - bundles count. So, a $399 Sunset Overdrive XBox One bundle is $399, plus you get another free game. That is $120 of free games, which brings the actual console price to $279.

Article:

A new promotion from Microsoft will offer prospective Xbox One owners a free game with the purchase of the next-gen console. Starting on Sunday, September 7, those that buy the system from a participating retailer in the U.S. will receive a free game of their choice, priced up to $60.

The offer is applicable to Xbox One bundles as well, so those buying in to Microsoft's latest console can score two games with the Madden NFL 15 and Forza 5 bundles, for example, or opt to buy the console-plus-Kinect bundle instead. The free games must be disc-based as well, so digital-only games like Ubisoft's Valiant Hearts are off the table. Microsoft's Xbox One promotion runs through Saturday, September 13

#2 Edited by Animal-Mother (26955 posts) -

Am I paying $399 at the cost of checkout or $279?

Because then they're still selling it for $399

#3 Posted by Shewgenja (9274 posts) -

But how does that make you feel OP? Or is this an advertisement?

#4 Posted by Ross_the_Boss6 (2654 posts) -

@Animal-Mother:

You pay 400, but you get 1 or 2 games with the system. Pretty good deal.

#5 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17700 posts) -

Still have to pay $60 for Live. At leaSt with Sony it's cheaper and you get tons of games

#6 Edited by Animal-Mother (26955 posts) -

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@Animal-Mother:

It's a good deal nonetheless but the logic behind it is stupid.

MS is essentially selling XB1 for 279! News flash not to me they aren't.

#7 Posted by FinalFighters (1480 posts) -

Wow, Talk about desperate.

#8 Posted by Desmonic (14068 posts) -

@StormyJoe: I think you worded it wrong buddy;

With that promo + bundle they are selling you ~$520 of value for $399. This is indeed quite a massive deal. This is what I think you actually meant to say, as this is full on positive, you're getting a lot of "bang" for your buck with this.

However saying "it only costs $279" when consumers still pay $399 is more negative then positive (in the sense that it gives a feeling of "overpaying" when you subtract from the price instead of adding to it).

--

In any case, it's a pretty sweet deal alright!

#9 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

Nice. I look forward to a $300 Xbox One bundled with a game next year. There's obviously no reason to buy one now.

Also, I'm having a nice laugh at the expense of the people on this board that bought a $500 launch Xbox One. You know who you are. :)

#10 Posted by FastRobby (1797 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Still have to pay $60 for Live. At leaSt with Sony it's cheaper and you get tons of games

First of all you can get 1 year of XBL for 30$. Microsoft also gave out games with XBL, just like PS+, and they aren't that great on both sides. At least not for this month. Azure > PSN in performance, stability, actually just everything.

#11 Posted by Blabadon (26336 posts) -

That logic doesn't work.

#12 Edited by FinalFighters (1480 posts) -

Also why are you mentioning the Sunset overdrive bundle? this promotion will be over (sept 7-13) by the time that bundle comes out. Derp

#13 Posted by 2Chalupas (5114 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

If it was a $120 gift card deal, I would make the argument that you are paying $279 for the console, and paying $120 for $120 in gift card value. That's they way I always look at "gift card" promos or similar deals where you can use the promo value to buy whatever you want.

However that logic doesn't work when they throw in games, because I literally NEVER pay full $60 for games. It seems ludicrous to assign full value to them. However if they are both disc copies,and new release games, you can probably net out $30+ each for them if you sell them right away. Maybe more if you keep them sealed. Which means it's fair to say you can make it so the console costs like $340 or less, not quite as great of a deal.

#14 Posted by Heil68 (44524 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@Animal-Mother:

Desperate times call for desperate measures you know

#15 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4897 posts) -

MS' biggest game of the year so far out in March, Sony has to do nothing.

Sony's biggest game of the year so far out in September, MS has to throw in a free game.

#16 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8503 posts) -

Well never mind. Ok deal if u want madden I guess...

#17 Edited by clone01 (24751 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Isn't PS4 also a subscription service now?

#18 Posted by Krelian-co (10940 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@Animal-Mother:

well, d'uh did you see who is tc?

#19 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1768 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

New deal gives new console users a free game with purchase of a console. Here's the kicker - bundles count. So, a $399 Sunset Overdrive XBox One bundle is $399, plus you get another free game. That is $120 of free games, which brings the actual console price to $279.

Article:

A new promotion from Microsoft will offer prospective Xbox One owners a free game with the purchase of the next-gen console. Starting on Sunday, September 7, those that buy the system from a participating retailer in the U.S. will receive a free game of their choice, priced up to $60.

The offer is applicable to Xbox One bundles as well, so those buying in to Microsoft's latest console can score two games with the Madden NFL 15 and Forza 5 bundles, for example, or opt to buy the console-plus-Kinect bundle instead. The free games must be disc-based as well, so digital-only games like Ubisoft's Valiant Hearts are off the table. Microsoft's Xbox One promotion runs through Saturday, September 13

which retailers though? does it work for amazon?

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

No, I'm paying $400 for the console at checkout. For a second, I thought I'd have to pay sub $300 and actually got a little excited, because I would have bitten the bullet at that price, as it turns out. Not willing to spend $400 on this though.

#21 Edited by blackace (20743 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Yeah, he's doing it all wrong. Yes, there's a savings of $120, but you don't minus that from the overall price. You just aren't paying $519 for the system and games. His logic is flawed.

#22 Posted by kuu2 (7330 posts) -

Really TC.............

You take a perfectly acceptable topic and turn it to turds.

Great news and MSoft continues to make up for past sins. Hell it took Sony 4 years last gen.

#23 Posted by cainetao11 (17576 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@Animal-Mother:

Agreed. The cost at purchase is $400. "Essentially" is BS.

#24 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3763 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@StormyJoe: I think you worded it wrong buddy;

With that promo + bundle they are selling you ~$520 of value for $399. This is indeed quite a massive deal. This is what I think you actually meant to say, as this is full on positive, you're getting a lot of "bang" for your buck with this.

However saying "it only costs $279" when consumers still pay $399 is more negative then positive (in the sense that it gives a feeling of "overpaying" when you subtract from the price instead of adding to it).

--

In any case, it's a pretty sweet deal alright!

this, if you want an Xbone.

#25 Posted by Chutebox (37223 posts) -

Fuck sake, they are being desperate. Interesting to see how this will do.

#26 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3763 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

No, I'm paying $400 for the console at checkout. For a second, I thought I'd have to pay sub $300 and actually got a little excited, because I would have bitten the bullet at that price, as it turns out. Not willing to spend $400 on this though.

It's kind of ironic that we'd rather have a cheap, barebones Xbone than bundles, although that's what I'd like. I don't really want any current titles, but I'd like a cheap console for when mid-gen shows up.

#27 Posted by kuu2 (7330 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Last gen Sony's drops price, they are for gamers.

This gen MSoft drops price they are desperate.

Not saying they aren't but so was Sony last gen.

#28 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

With this logic, a medium-end PC (which blows away xbone/ps4) is essentially free due to Steam Sales

#29 Posted by Messiahbolical- (5560 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

PS3 wasn't being outsold 2:1 like Xbone is...

#30 Posted by kuu2 (7330 posts) -

#

@Messiahbolical- said:

@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

PS3 wasn't being outsold 2:1 like Xbone is...

Are you saying Sony was not desperate with the PS3 in their first year of launch?

When you are only in 13 countries as opposed to 60 there should be a disparity.

The One is doing fine and this holiday will be another record setting period.

#31 Posted by silversix_ (14608 posts) -

Looks like more desperation continuation. Keep it up its funny, MS.

#32 Edited by Chutebox (37223 posts) -

@kuu2: Not as much as MS right now, but I agree

#33 Edited by lamprey263 (23921 posts) -

Well, one must want the first free game in the bundle they choose for it to be of value. I imagine Madden 15 will be big with a lot of people. But the 2nd game option, if it's any game up to $60, and really is ANY game, then that is a good deal. If it were me I'd probably pick Dead Rising 3. Anybody can really get whatever game they want free. That to me is value.

Whether or not this will get MS back in the game, doubt it. They need something more substantial. Rather than a promotion like this just drop the price to $300, that'll go a long way. Cap game prices at $50, gamers would love that. Give an additional $10 discount to digital games below the MSRP and I think they'd be on their way to a system that can sell.

#34 Posted by StormyJoe (5382 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@Animal-Mother:

Yes they are, because you get $120 in free games.

#35 Posted by tacoma1972 (168 posts) -

## Now matter what M$ does its still a turd. No matter how much they polish it.

Crap system. Just trying to counter the Destiney Bundle. Good luck.

Amazon:

Sony number 6 & 8

Microsoft 40 & 50............................... hahahahahahahahahaha

#36 Posted by StormyJoe (5382 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Yeah, he's doing it all wrong. Yes, there's a savings of $120, but you don't minus that from the overall price. You just aren't paying $519 for the system and games. His logic is flawed.

Whatever. You are getting two full retail games with the console. You're saving $120.

For years, people in SW have been saying the same thing about bundles, get over it.

#37 Edited by nini200 (9800 posts) -

So this must be a $99 - $149 console bundle using your logic TC:

You get:

Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U & New Super Luigi U for $299 up front

#38 Posted by Shewgenja (9274 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

It's basically an advertisement in SW.

#39 Posted by StormyJoe (5382 posts) -

@nini200: Yep.

#40 Posted by Daious (1294 posts) -

@StormyJoe:

this offer unfortunately won't work with the sunset overdrive bundle only madden bundle or forza bundle. Its in the fine print.

Destiny is included in the free games though.

#41 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4789 posts) -

that's a pretty good package all around but i won't go parting with the money in a hurry.

#42 Posted by StormyJoe (5382 posts) -

@daious said:

@StormyJoe:

this offer unfortunately won't work with the sunset overdrive bundle only madden bundle or forza bundle. Its in the fine print.

Destiny is included in the free games though.

It said Madden and Forza bundles "for example". Where did you read it only included those two?

#43 Edited by yokofox33 (29673 posts) -

It's a good deal, but still gotta pay 400 bucks. Although I admit I'd bite on this deal for the Sunset Overdrive bundle if I didn't already own the console.

#44 Posted by blackace (20743 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

@Chutebox said:

Same thing was said about Sony PS3 last gen as well. Lems thought they were desperate for dropping the price so soon and released several cheap bundles. The difference here is that Microsoft has dropped ANY PRICE yet. They released a new SKU for the XB1 (with Kinect) at a lower price. The original XB1 with Kinect is still $499. Price hasn't dropped at all. They are offering cheaper bundles that add games for free, which is never a bad thing.

#45 Edited by blackace (20743 posts) -
@StormyJoe said:

@blackace said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Whatever. You are getting two full retail games with the console. You're saving $120.

For years, people in SW have been saying the same thing about bundles, get over it.

Yes, you are getting two full retail games for FREE, so you are saving $120. But you are still paying $399 for the system and games and not $279. That's the point we are making to you. I don't have to get over anything. I'm the smart one here. lol!! Your logic was flawed like I said.

#46 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42887 posts) -

That's not how discounts work.

#47 Edited by SolidTy (43305 posts) -

No where does that article state $279 for an Xbone. Not once. It's $400 bucks. That new magical math- Xbone price point was a SW "exclusive" fanboy sales advertising spin not in the original article. Not even the Xbox is advertising this way and there is a reason why. It would be false advertising. The article, nor Xbox, even states the games are valued at $60, because that would be false as well.

Xbox isn't advertising the $279.99 price. Joystiq isn't advertising or mentioning a $279.99 price. It all points to the $400 price. The OP is however advocating an incorrect price and assigning values to games. Plants vs. Zombies Garden is only $39.99 (cheaper on sale) and it's one of the free games. Already that magic OP math doesn't work if PvZ is one of the free games. TitanFall has been on sale less than $40, Call of Duty Ghosts is an old launch title that also has been cheap as it's approaching a year old, etc. Here's the picture of the free games:

That is SW spin for you. This is assuming these games are even worth $60, which many of them are not (like TF which has been on sale, COD, and PvZ which is $40 new MSRP, etc)

Before major price drops, companies try to include more games as it saves them money.

Even in the GC/PS2/Xbox days with game bundles I didn't see such a try hard spin on a machine's price. I've seen a tiny few laughing stocks get laughed off the board trying that strange sort of fanboy price spin last gen, but it always ended up in disaster.

Regarding the best price for the Xbone? Earlier this year, Xbox stores/M$ stores sold the Titanfall Bundle, some with Forza as well, for $399.99 with Kinect. That's right. $60 Titanfall at launch + $150 Kinect + $400 Xbone = $400. Some even got $60 Forza. That deal has yet to be topped and this deal certainly comes no where close to that deal earlier this year (even advertised a few times in SW).

#48 Edited by sailor232 (4713 posts) -

That's an amazing deal, only thing better was Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 deal.

#49 Edited by Animal-Mother (26955 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@Animal-Mother:

Yes they are, because you get $120 in free games.

How much do you pay at check out? $400? Everyone in here is saying the same thing....

#50 Posted by Heirren (17087 posts) -

So if I were to buy the Sunset Overdrive Bundle I could pre order Masterchief Collection?