Sega VS Nintendo: Who Has Been The More Creative Company Overall?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Sega, but Nintendo are creative too.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Sega edges out Nintendo when Sega was making hardware. Both benefited from one another.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

whoa, I had no idea that was even a thing. kinect before kinect. sega was too ahead of their time for their own goodblack_chamber99

Yeah they were, as some have already pointed out in this thread. Still they tried, and as a gamer I really appreciate that type of guts, because playing the same old stuff gets boring. I feel that gaming has suffered with Nintendo being the only one that takes risks anymore, because in large part, I'm still playing the same type of games with the same type of controls I was 10 years ago. If SEGA was still making hardware, no doubt they would have challenged Nintendo's innovativity.

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

SEGA. SEGA Channel, SEGA Activator, online for the Saturn and Dreamcast, SEGA 32X, SEGA CD, their arcade games like Virtual On and Virtua Fighter, etc. Say what you want about how they failed, but they sure as hell tried new things, and they didn't rely on the same old properties. I'd like to see Nintendo make a game as unique as say NiGHTS into Dreams.

SectorSix6

Exactly this..So many un-educated fools here that no absolutely nothing about SEGA's history, its disgusting.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they're too young to know any better. Unless you're an enthusiast or have an older sibling that knew what was up at the time, you probably need to be in your mid to late 20's to even have a legitimate perspective on how SEGA was before.

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
Any answer that isn't SEGA is wrong.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#55 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Both top Sony.
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#56 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Nintendo.charizard1605

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

At which point? As long as Sega wa sin the console industry it was them, but recently they just release horrible games while Nintendo continues to innovate. So yeah, right now it's Nintendo

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

I really dont get how anyone can say Sega, I mean they have been just makeing games for a long time, an there games atm an for the past 7 years are pretty standard genres an concepts.

Sure you can argue when the made hardware that there was compatition, but now? Please.....

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

Mortal combat controversy: the blood on sega was red, nintendos was fcking blue. Glad the shelter children coalition never caught on, god help us if Nintendo was the only console in the early to mid 90s.joehult

it was actually smoke in the snes version :lol: and agreed with the bold.

as a kid I always look at genesis as the cooler alternative to the snes

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#60 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

nintendo is synonymous with creativity so I picked them, but Sega had some crazy original concepts right to the end of their console years with Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi, and Jet Grind Radio etc.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#61 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

if i remember all sega cared about was arcades! hence why most of their dc saturn games were ports of arcade games, so i say nintendo!

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

if i remember all sega cared about was arcades! hence why most of their dc saturn games were ports of arcade games, so i say nintendo!

mariokart64fan

you would have said nintendo regardless, i implore you to look over a few of the posts in here you would change your tune they done a few things before their time.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Sega done a lot, but overall it would have to be Nintendo. There just too many firsts they done.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#64 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Nintendo is the most creative company in the business, they made gaming what it is today. Even though I feel they are no longer "top dog" as far as systems go, they never fail to bring great games.

That makes Nintendo bigger than anyone else in the industry in my eyes.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#65 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I still don't get wtf your avy is..ArisShadows

God dammit I just looked at his avy for longer than two seconds.

Dear god someone hand me a knife I've got to unsee that thing....and fast!

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Nintendo makes better universes and settings, like Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule, which captivated and still manage to captivate people's imagination. What some of you don't seem to get is that Sega had to do A LOT to keep up not only with Nintendo, but with many third parties that were forced by Nintendo to make games exclusively for their hardware (not that some, if not most of them, wouldn't have gladly agreed to do it without being forced to, but that's not the point). Nintendo, for example, had Square and Enix making Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games for them; Sega only had Phantasy Star, a first party franchise, to fight against that. During the 8 bit era and the early years of the 16 bit era, Sega was forced to single-handedly fight the much bigger and much wealthier Nintendo AND many third part companies that only made games for Nintendo's hardware.

Things, of course, were not that bad after things settled down, the Genesis/Mega Drive took off and they started getting more third party games, but the amount of material that Sega managed to release for the Master System and the Genesis/Mega Drive during its first couple of year almost all by themselves was remarkable, and the craftmanship displayed in games like Phantasy Star or Golden Axe was astounding.

Yes, Nintendo's big first party games were second to none, but the amount of genres that Sega were forced to experiment with just to keep up with Nintendo and its team of third party partners and, in particular, how they managed to excel at most o those genres despite the difficulties and limited resources was something that deserves way more credit than what most people give them nowadays.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Nintendo makes better universes and settings, like Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule, which captivated and still manage to captivate people's imagination. What some of you don't seem to get is that Sega had to do A LOT to keep up not only with Nintendo, but with many third parties that were forced by Nintendo to make games exclusively for their hardware (not that some, if not most of them, wouldn't have gladly agreed to do it without being forced to, but that's not the point). Nintendo, for example, had Square and Enix making Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games for them; Sega only had Phantasy Star, a first party franchise, to fight against that. During the 8 bit era and the early years of the 16 bit era, Sega was forced to single-handedly fight the much bigger and much wealthier Nintendo AND many third part companies that only made games for Nintendo's hardware.

Things, of course, were not that bad after things settled down, the Genesis/Mega Drive took off and they started getting more third party games, but the amount of material that Sega managed to release for the Master System and the Genesis/Mega Drive during its first couple of year almost all by themselves was remarkable, and the craftmanship displayed in games like Phantasy Star or Golden Axe was astounding.

Yes, Nintendo's big first party games were second to none, but the amount of genres that Sega were forced to experiment with just to keep up with Nintendo and its team of third party partners and, in particular, how they managed to excel at most o those genres despite the difficulties and limited resources was something that deserves way more credit than what most people give them nowadays.

LordQuorthon

If Rare counts, Nintendo utterly destroyed Sega in the (console) games department, imo...

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LordQuorthon

If Rare counts, Nintendo utterly destroyed Sega in the (console) games department, imo...

nameless12345

You should make a thread about that. In fact, make two: one that states that and another one that states the exact opposite.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

dpadt.png

SnesController.gif

200px-Virtual-Boy-Set.png

250px-Nintendo-DS-Fat-Blue.png.

RogueStatus28
all except the d pad have been novelties AND a tablet was already established before the ds came out...
Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Logo circa 2008

Rarelogo.jpg

Intelligent Systems logo.png

Camelot Software Planning logo

HAL Laboratory logo.png

Retro-studios-logo1.png

Silicon Knights logo

Monolith Soft logo.png.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Sony by far
Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts
Sony by farthemajormayor
You trolling?
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Sony by farRogueStatus28
You trolling?

Of course not.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

*pics*

RogueStatus28

Did you know that Camelot began as a Sega division? They created the Shining Force series.

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

[QUOTE="RogueStatus28"]

*pics*

magiciandude

Did you know that Camelot began as a Sega division? They created the Shining Force series.

i'd go as far as saying nintendo RUINED camelot. they used to make engrossing adventures and now they're relegated to making mario tennis/mario golf games. they went the way of rare with microsoft

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Sega is good but Ninty has been more creative plus they still make consoles.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="RogueStatus28"]

*pics*

black_chamber99

i'd go as far as saying nintendo RUINED camelot. they used to make engrossing adventures and now they're relegated to making mario tennis/mario golf games. they went the way of rare with microsoft

Aside from Shining Force, the only other titles they made were golf games. Besides, what about Golden Sun?

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

throughout their history i'd say sega. unlike nintendo they aren't held back by their 'family friendly' values and have taken more weird creatve risks, unfortunately they aren't as original now as a software company as they once were, but neither is nintendo.

black_chamber99

Because the Sega CD and 32X were so awesome... :roll:

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"]

throughout their history i'd say sega. unlike nintendo they aren't held back by their 'family friendly' values and have taken more weird creatve risks, unfortunately they aren't as original now as a software company as they once were, but neither is nintendo.

svetzenlether

And the Virtua Boy was the greatest hit ever right? The Sega CD was a pretty decent system in its own right. I'll be the first to agree that the 32X was a poor idea, but Nintendo themselves have made their own share of bone headed decisions that made little to no sense.

It's amazing that the Sega CD and 32X are the only two things that you focus on. Let's ignore the fact that Sega produced some excellent games during the 90's and early 2000's. And let's ignore the fact that most of those games were innovative and unique titles.

Yeah, the 32X and Sega CD were missteps, but so was the Virtual Boy. Plus, Nintendo made numerous mistakes with the N64 and Gamecube that hurt them badly.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#80 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="svetzenlether"]

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"]

caryslan2

And the Virtua Boy was the greatest hit ever right? The Sega CD was a pretty decent system in its own right. I'll be the first to agree that the 32X was a poor idea, but Nintendo themselves have made their own share of bone headed decisions that made little to no sense.

It's amazing that the Sega CD and 32X are the only two things that you focus on. Let's ignore the fact that Sega produced some excellent games during the 90's and early 2000's. And let's ignore the fact that most of those games were innovative and unique titles.

Yeah, the 32X and Sega CD were missteps, but so was the Virtual Boy. Plus, Nintendo made numerous mistakes with the N64 and Gamecube that hurt them badly.

Failures maybe but they were creative and original at the time which is what the topic is about.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LordQuorthon

The Sega CD was a pretty decent system in its own right.

caryslan2

Indeed. The problem with the Sega CD wasn't the hardware itself; the problem was that most video game designers didn't really know what the hell to do with all that storage space, other than adding CD quality music, some speech and some short FMV cutscenes to games that otherwise looked and played exactly like their cartridge counterparts or, if they were feeling particularly "edgy", just doing the incredibly stupid but oh so trendy thing back then, which were those horrible interactive movie types of games like Night Trap.

Around that time, PC games were no different. If you had a CD ROM drive, you could brag to your buddies about playing a version of Dune 1 that had better music and voice acting but, other than that, it really didn't offer anything remarkable until the rest of the technology catched up and was able to use all that storage properly. Oh, and interactive movie games were rather popular (only amongst developers, of course) on the PC too. One of the best PC developers from that time, Sierra, somehow seemed to be convinced for a while that crap like Phantasmagoria and The Beast Within were going to be huge.

It was just a matter of timing and developers not really knowing what to do with CDs until the mid to late 90s. I guess you could blame Sega from rushing a piece of hardware before knowing what to do with it, but hindsight is always 20/20. Besides, even though you could say that Sonic CD could have been released on a cartdrige without any real compromise in terms of gameplay and overall experience, that wouldn't change the fact many people still consider it one of the top two or three if not THE greatest Sonic game ever.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

Nintendo never made Shenmue. But really Nintendo is a more consistent.

Gamertag-TFTW

That's actually a point in Nintendo's favour.