Sega to Axe 300 Jobs as Focus Turns to PC and Mobile

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

As a former simi Sega fanboy way back in the day, this saddens me. Since exiting the console biz, other than bringing lots of great gaming to the OGXBOX, they've drifted and drifted so far off course this I guess was the inevitable outcome.

For one thing, where oh where is the consoles versions of PSO2, I for one would have ate that stuff up?

For SW purposes and b/c I really do think this, they should have became a MS first party in the early 2000's. :P

Best of luck Sega and hope this turns things around for you and same for those getting the axe. :(

Anyhoo, thoughts?

The Story.

----

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-to-axe-300-jobs-as-focus-turns-to-pc-and-mobi/1100-6424996/

Sega to Axe 300 Jobs as Focus Turns to PC and Mobile

Restructuring underway, with San Francisco office to be relocated; Future of console games business unclear.

by Rob Crossley on January 30, 2015

A drastic and sweeping restructure is underway at Sega as the publisher attempts to "drastically improve profitability," with more than 300 jobs at risk, a headquarter relocation underway, and a new focus away from games consoles.

Sega issued a notice to investors on Friday explaining that it expects to make just $34 million in net profit by the end of the financial year; a nosedive in performance compared to the $260 million it made the year prior.

Around 300 staff are scheduled to be made redundant, while Sega's San Francisco headquarters will be relocated--likely by summer--to southern California.

The struggling publisher, which formed in the 1940s and shifted its business into video games by the late '80s, will also reposition its business to center it around "smartphone and PC online gaming."

Although drastic measures, Sega has been planning this shift in business since May 2014. To what extent this will further narrow its games console business is unclear. Sega's key releases of 2014 were Alien: Isolation, Rome 2 Total War, and Sonic Boom.

The corporation said: "SEGA has positioned Digital Games, particularly smartphone and PC online gaming, as a growth area and has determined to implement the following measures in order to constantly post profits by improving management efficiency while promptly promoting redistribution of management resources."

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
Loading Video...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice  Online

@SolidTy:

Ohhh mannn, such good gaming memories with SEGA... ye ole king of the arcade back in the day and home consoles, Genesis does what Nintendont. :P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Online PC gaming? That sucks. Hopefully TW: Warhammer won't turn out to be online only trash.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Well, their PC endevours liek Footaball Manager and Total War have been very sucessfull. Don't know much about their mobile front.

This seems to affect SOA and some of SOE. Their japanese output seems to be fine.

Anyway, how about that bayonetta and Vanquish on PC SEGA?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice  Online

@deadline-zero0 said:

Well, their PC endevours liek Footaball Manager and Total War have been very sucessfull. Don't know much about their mobile front.

This seems to affect SOA and some of SOE. Their japanese output seems to be fine.

Anyway, how about that bayonetta and Vanquish on PC SEGA?

I suppose since I'm not PC gaming these days I forget about those titles and I know some love'em but what I don't know is how mnay. Do those titles sell really well and make good money for dev & pub?

Also, probably a good thought bring the other two to PC but I dunno the rights / ownership involved in the IP's.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Guess this means we can kiss goodbye to an Alien Isolation sequel.

Oh well, after Chronic Boom and ACM why should they be surprised that people have no faith in their AAA output?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

So does that mean... no PSO2 in the west? :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SecretPolice  Online

@Snugenz said:

So does that mean... no PSO2 in the west? :P

Apparently, I dunno, PSO2 could really suck for all I know but I've been needing mah PSO fix for years now and would have bought and played PSO2 had it came to consoles. :P

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'm surprised the forum isn't more taken aback by this. Probably partially because of the title of the thread and probably partially because Sega developed stuff (which to many includes Sonic Boom) mostly stinks.

But I've loved their published stuff. Binary Domain is the shit, Vanquish might not have seen daylight if not for them, Virtua Tennis still needs a modern release etc.

Then there's Atlus which is owned by Sega Sammy. I hope to fucking god they stay on handhelds and consoles. **** mobile games. This whole ordeal worries me because this generation just started and has lost one of consoles' most eclectic, notable publishers to the mobile and F2P market.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The four pillars that sega releases yearly is Aliens, Total War, Sonic, and Football manager. Three of those are major PC releases, and the only one that is console focused is sonic. Sonic hasn't been doing well now that its releasing only on the Wii U and 3DS. It's likely they'll can sonic at this point and focus on that kids show they are currently making.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SecretPolice  Online

@Blabadon:

Eh, dunno if this is what you referred to " topic title" but I assumed the whole title wouldn't fit - that'll teach me about ass u me ing,

Edited, it fits. " red face emoticon" :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

So Sega is basically dead right?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Most of Sega's best stuff is on the PC anyway. Hopefully they will still publish the good software they put on consoles, but they'll just put it on the PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Just sell your IPs Sega, you're quite clearly utterly useless at handling them yourselves. They never seem to listen to or cater to their fan-bases what so ever and they completely ignore their westerns fan-bases when it comes to games like Yakuza and PSO. They bought this utter annihilation upon themselves with nothing but sheer stupidity.

Capcom will be up next. They're going down a similar road by destroying their own IPs one after another with the most batty decisions ever. It make's me face palm just thinking about these two idiot companies. They had so much potential to be great and they threw all that potential away.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Gaming certainly has gone down the shitter since Microsoft threw their hat in the ring! :(

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SecretPolice  Online

@general_solo76 said:

Gaming certainly has gone down the shitter since Microsoft threw their hat in the ring! :(

Quite the opposite munchkin, the VG industry grew by Billions since MS entered the console arena. Besides, Sega's woes have zero to do with anybody but Sega.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Interesting move on their part. I really don't know Sega's involvement in the PC market. All I know is they publish Total War and they kind of screwed over Creative Assembly with the last Total War game.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Just sell the Japanese business off to sony or something so Yakuza and Persona don't die. Then they can become a straight publisher.

Why did they even buy Atlus? If Sega goes down or forces them to make f2p crap, it's over for Atlus.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I don't know why but companies like Sega and Nintendo never seemed to learn how to evolve when new consoles came out every gen. They just seem so far behind everyone else. Is it because they stick with the same old people from the 80's and they never learned to code new games?

It seems the west hires younger and newer coders all the time and they release awesome games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I don't know why but companies like Sega and Nintendo never seemed to learn how to evolve when new consoles came out every gen. They just seem so far behind everyone else. Is it because they stick with the same old people from the 80's and they never learned to code new games?

It seems the west hires younger and newer coders all the time and they release awesome games.

It seems the opposite to me. There are a lot more great games coming out of the east than there are from the west right now.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy

I worry for Atlus.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@Snugenz: SEGA will never recapture the magic of PSO again.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Sucks that Atlus was brought into their mess. It was baffling when it first was announced. Didn't Sega do something like this 3 or 4 years ago, where they publicly stated after some poor financial results they were going more towards mobile IP, PC, and "core IP's only? Then they go out and buy Atlus - and now we are right back to the same old story. Who exactly is in charge of this company LOL.

Hopefully Nintendo or Sony step up and do something here, such as offering to buy some of their IP's. That seems unlikely though, and Sega would probably be stubborn anyway and instead let those IP's go down with the ship.

It's almost as if Capcom and Sega only exist anymore to spite gamers. 90% of the decisions they make do nothing but disappoint and screw their own fans over - it's no coincidence they are failing.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Man, I really liked PSO2 but it became such a pain to reapply an english patch after every update.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

So they admit there isn't much of incentive in making console games? That's sad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

OP, please point out that most of these layoffs are from their arcade business and won't effect SEGA's output in North America all that much.

@SolidTy said:

I worry for Atlus.

You shouldn't. They're under SEGA Sammy sure but operate entirely independently.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

meh sega garbage anyway

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy
@Aljosa23 said:

OP, please point out that most of these layoffs are from their arcade business and won't effect SEGA's output in North America all that much.

@SolidTy said:

I worry for Atlus.

You shouldn't. They're under SEGA Sammy sure but operate entirely independently.

Good to hear.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Too bad for the employees, really. Selfishly, the news isn't too huge for me, those are my favorite two platforms.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

First thing, SEGA SAMMY is not in trouble, they make money off their pachinko machines, and secondly, ATLUS acts as a separate entity from the ones that are being cut back. They're their own subsidiary and work independently. So if you're an ATLUS fanboy, don't worry, this doesn't concern you. Who this does concern is people like me that like SEGA developed arcade games such as Virtua Fighter, Outrun, After Burner, or console published games like Vanquish.

SEGA has been scaling back and shifting to digital distribution for a while now, and with the money sink that was Sonic Boom, it's not surprising that SOA took the biggest hit. It does make me sad though, because their office was right here in San Francisco.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Telekill said:

So Sega is basically dead right?

Well considering how useless consoles are becoming they are dead in that market.... unless your a big publisher with s*itty glashy gun games you don't get far on consoles anymore.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

as long as they dont get too involved in total war im not fussed. just pay the money and stay out of the way sega.

they have nothing of worth left on consoles and the cost of development on them is just not helping. im sure they will continue to beat the old hedgehog but that died a long time ago.

do they make much out of mobile? the only games they seem to produce that make an actual return are total war games (and i think total war warhammer will be really big...just dont go messing sega. CA know what they are doing.) and football manager.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@SolidTy said:

I worry for Atlus.

Unfortunately, business reality makes this distinction meaningless. They are owned by Sega, which means that they have been ALLOWED to work independently. They are not an independent company. Sega could do whatever they wanted with them if things got desperate enough. Up to and including closing Atlus offices down, laying everyone off, selling their IP's piecemeal, whatever. This seems like it would be an incredibly stupid turn of events after buying the company, but it does happen in the corporate world.

Hopefully Atlus is small enough that they can just stay the course without being impacted. Either that, or Sega shops them around to a new buyer as a complete business unit. Please Sony or Nintendo step in LOL. I think most of us were hoping they would be the buyers when Atlus last needed "rescuing" from a bad corporate steward.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@MBirdy88: It's not a console vs PC issue. It's that Sega has been a shit developer since Dreamcast died. PC couldn't help that regardless of how much you worship it.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Console gaming is dying CONFIRMED Lolololol

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC wins again.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Around 300 staff are scheduled to be made redundant, while Sega's San Francisco office will be relocated--likely by summer--to southern California.

Sounds like it's mostly affecting Sega's offices here in the US. I wonder if the San Francisco office is actually going to move and combine with the Atlus USA offices down in Irvine.

If that ends up being the case, I'd be surprised they'd have to fire people. I can't imagine people living in such a nice city with such a strong reputation and regard for its tech industries and good paying tech jobs to an area that's much more rural, not as cultured, and just as expensive to live in without all the niceties; I imagine that they'd be lucky to retain anybody willing to make the move.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

So frustrating that they have all those IPs and are doing nothing with them.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

If MS was willing to throw away $2 Billion on Mine Craft I wonder if they would be willing to buy Sega or at Least buy Sega's IP. It would give MS an instant Library of games familiar to gamers. Sonic, Shinobi, Shining Force, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, Sword of Vermilion, Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, Yakuza, etc. Making it easier for MS to diversify while making amends with gamers by saving one of gamings beloved companies.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

That is too bad and I had to wonder what will be the future of console games Sega holds.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

NOoo!! I hope they don't completely exit the console business....I thought Alien sold well, so why would they make this move now. Oh well, no point in thinking about it, what's done is done.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

You expected console gamers to buy bad Sonic games. This is what happens and it's honestly sad. They had alot of great ips

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@deadline-zero0: Sega no longer owns Bayonetta as it was bought by Nintendo.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#49  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@SecretPolice:

Sad indeed. I was the sega kid in my neighborhood while almost everyone else had an NES then SNES. My brothers and I playing the first Madden, Lakers vs Celtics and so many classics on Genesis. I still have some of my Sega Master System cartridges. That would have been interesting if they had gone to second or first party for Xbox. But oh well.....

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Telekill said:

@MBirdy88: It's not a console vs PC issue. It's that Sega has been a shit developer since Dreamcast died. PC couldn't help that regardless of how much you worship it.

I would think Sega will become just a straight publisher now. Most of their games are just that now. Football Manager, Total War, Aliens, all developed by a third party, published by Sega.