deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

SEGA has declined to provide advance review copies of Sonic Boom on either 3DS or Wii U, forcing reviewers and journalists to buy the game for themselves if they want to review it (or to wait for post release review copies). Of course, given how much of a trainwreck we know this game is, it's not like we need reviews, but most of Sonic Boom's target audience isn't comprised of knowledgeable gamers who get their information from forums.

This is shitty and scummy- it's right up there with having launch day embargoes for your video games, or misrepresenting the final product by sending reviewers review copies that leave out some more controversial aspects of your game.

What the **** is going on today?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Making a thread which links to another one of your threads? Really Chaz? lol

Who cares. Sonic games are all shit anyways.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Sonic died with Genesis.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

wow. That isn't a good look. I'll have to wait for these reviews before I go out and buy it. I had high hopes for this. What a shame if it doesn't pan out.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

Yeah, today has been a weird day. Both Sega and Ubisoft outta be ashamed of themselves. Just give us 2D or 2.5D Sonic games, screw the 3D crap. And Ubisoft, we don't need a million NPC's on the same screen, just optimize the damn game, the entire franchise actually. Makes me sick!

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

They need to hurry up and make sonic 4 episode 3.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

wait for reviews before buying..just means I won't be getting it at launch/today. :P

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Sonic died with Genesis.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I don't blame critics for not reviewing the game then.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm not seeing where sega said such a thing. Too many misquotes on this forum.

Also there's no difference between this and all the other companies having sites wait till launch day to publish the review. They only do that so pre orders go through.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Ubisoft basically did the same thing with AC Rogue. No review copies were sent out in advance and that's why you're not seeing many reviews for the game even though it released today.

And Unity is a separate issue but still a giant middle finger to journalists, as review copies were sent in advance but the review embargo was in place until this morning.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

haha nice

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bunchanumbers

@princeofshapeir said:

Ubisoft basically did the same thing with AC Rogue. No review copies were sent out in advance and that's why you're not seeing many reviews for the game even though it released today.

And Unity is a separate issue but still a giant middle finger to journalists, as review copies were sent in advance but the review embargo was in place until this morning.

I gotta say though its kinda good that publishers are starting to give the finger to the gaming media. I know that the publishers are a part of the problem, but still.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Classy move.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

This game is not going to score well. It's probably going to get reviews somewhat similar to Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic 06.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I wanted to remain a bit optimistic that this game might be able to score a six somehow, but it's looking very unlikely now. Maybe even a four at this point or worse. It's a shame too because, if they had gotten it right, it could have been a good Sonic game.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Sega should **** off with their shitty games tbh. Maybe then they wouldn't have to do things like that.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Why give out review copies they will miss 50% of sales that way

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Didn't EA pull similar shit with the Sims 4?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#21 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@princeofshapeir said:

Rogue seems to be getting pretty good reviews so far. As for Sonic Boom, who knows.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

If they don't send out a review copy, 99% chance the game is terrible.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@princeofshapeir said:

I gotta say though its kinda good that publishers are starting to give the finger to the gaming media. I know that the publishers are a part of the problem, but still.

Are you insane? The media gives consumers the information they would want before they go out and buy a game.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Makes sense. That way they can trick some parents into getting for their kids this holiday.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Sonic died with Genesis.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Wow. To think that Sega at one time was going to pretty much finish Nintendo off, and now this.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bunchanumbers

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@princeofshapeir said:

Are you insane? The media gives consumers the information they would want before they go out and buy a game.

in a pure world maybe. But there's been plenty of situations where the media has been bought and their integrity compromised. Media is the wall that prevents a publisher from contacting their fanbase directly. Its why I like Nintendo Direct. Its just Nintendo telling you what's up with their products. No media BS spin.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The only thing I want from sega at this point is the yakuza series on PC.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Good, at least we know SEGA aren't paying people off for reviews when there are no reviews.

Don't really get why people buy things day one anyway, wait a couple of weeks for the price drop.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The game is going to suck, no doubt. Having said that, they owe reviewers or journalists nothing to begin with. Advertising is much more important in the grand scheme of things.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Well...is a Sonic game, did anyone else expected something good?

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Sega should consider co-developing their next main Sonic game with a developer of more competence. Otherwise, just confine him to kart games and Olympic titles with Mario.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bunchanumbers

@Raptor_Herc said:

Sega should consider co-developing their next main Sonic game with a developer of more competence. Otherwise, just confine him to kart games and Olympic titles with Mario.

I'd actually prefer if Sega retired Sonic altogether. Speed was a good idea in a 2D space. But in 3D its tough to pull off blinding speed. I think they should consider doing a exploratory 3D open world game without Sonic.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@charizard1605: How many months ago did I tell you that Sonic Boom was going to wind up atrocious?

Had to toot my own horn at least once.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

@bunchanumbers: Maybe they could do Mario Sunshine 2 ^^. On a more serious note, that might be a good idea. Perhaps they don't even need to come up with a new character, however, as they do have other franchises on which they could rely.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@super600 said:

This game is not going to score well.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

They even know this game is the next Sonic the Hedgehog 14.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Sonic died with Dreamcast.

fixed.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Will sell more copies than Bayonetta.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

SEGA has declined to provide advance review copies of Sonic Boom on either 3DS or Wii U, forcing reviewers and journalists to buy the game for themselves if they want to review it (or to wait for post release review copies). Of course, given how much of a trainwreck we know this game is, it's not like we need reviews, but most of Sonic Boom's target audience isn't comprised of knowledgeable gamers who get their information from forums.

This is shitty and scummy- it's right up there with having launch day embargoes for your video games, or misrepresenting the final product by sending reviewers review copies that leave out some more controversial aspects of your game.

While this is usually a clear sign that the game is a p.o.s., I have a hard time calling it "shitty" or "scummy". That would imply that publishers have some kind of ethical OBLIGATION to provide advance review copies. I don't see it like that. If I'm giving out advance copies of my product before release, it's because I have confidence that the early reviews will help to drive sales. I'm doing that for personal benefit, not because it's some kind of obligation. Failure to give out advance copies is therefore not "scummy", it's simply indicative of a lack of confidence in how it will be received.

Now, one could maybe make the argument that releasing a product that one lacks confidence in is "scummy", but I have to bring up two points. Firstly, their lack of confidence doesn't mean that some consumers won't like it. Secondly, this isn't some safety issue, like cars that shut off during driving or actions figures that spontaneously combust. The issue here is "the game is not fun", which is largely subjective and doesn't really hurt anyone.

So...yeah, this is a clear sign that they know the game sucks. But to be fair, I don't see how they owe advance review copies to ANYONE.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@Dibdibdobdobo said:

Will sell more copies than Bayonetta.

Sadly, yes... -_-

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I think anybody legitimately interested in Sonic and has played every game to date probably doesn't care what it gets for a review score. Not even Sonic Colors, which got quite a bit of praise, barely sold much at all. Sonic Lost Worlds for the Wii U and 3DS wasn't that much of a big seller. At this point I'm sure Sega is less like "**** off" and more just "why bother".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Sonic died with Genesis.

Sonic was fine on the DC. And who cares if reviewers have to actually buy the game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I think reviewers are better off not playing this at all, so SEGA's doing them a favor.

They should be applauded for this.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@charizard1605 said:

While this is usually a clear sign that the game is a p.o.s., I have a hard time calling it "shitty" or "scummy". That would imply that publishers have some kind of ethical OBLIGATION to provide advance review copies. I don't see it like that. If I'm giving out advance copies of my product before release, it's because I have confidence that the early reviews will help to drive sales. I'm doing that for personal benefit, not because it's some kind of obligation. Failure to give out advance copies is therefore not "scummy", it's simply indicative of a lack of confidence in how it will be received.

Now, one could maybe make the argument that releasing a product that one lacks confidence in is "scummy", but I have to bring up two points. Firstly, their lack of confidence doesn't mean that some consumers won't like it. Secondly, this isn't some safety issue, like cars that shut off during driving or actions figures that spontaneously combust. The issue here is "the game is not fun", which is largely subjective and doesn't really hurt anyone.

So...yeah, this is a clear sign that they know the game sucks. But to be fair, I don't see how they owe advance review copies to ANYONE.

My thoughts exactly! This thread is silly.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Dear Sega, Sonic Generations is your most beloved Sonic in the past 20 or so years. You struck gold with it so why are you still messing about with the franchise?