SEGA: Economic fears hit retailer stock orders

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

Phil Elliott

The global economic slowdown is applying more pressure on videogames publishers as retailers in the US slash their stock orders.

In a bid to limit any risk of piling up unwanted inventory - if consumers stop buying games - all five key retail chains in the territory have started to cut their day one orders, causing growing concern among the publishing community.

That's according to Sega Europe president Mike Hayes, who told GamesIndustry.biz that although Europe isn't quite in the same position, it's another headache for the industry to have to deal with.

"Retailers, definitely in the United States, are being far more prudent in what they buy, so they're clearly going to focus on the triple A titles, but their day one orders are coming down," he said. "What they're saying is that they'll take in as little as need to, see how it sells through, and then they know they can order again in a matter of days if not hours. So that's hurting us.

"In the United States you've got five customers, and those customers are saying that they don't need to order four weeks' stock, I'm going to order two. I don't want all this inventory. I think you'll find most publishers in the United States will be having similar challenges, to be honest.

"But Europe is such a mosaic of opportunities - while all the retailers are being more aggressive, and we understand why, Europe's a much more fluid and flexible market to manage, so we're in a good position."

A fall in stock orders is the latest issue to hit the publisher-retailer relationship, following a greater take-up of second-hand game sales by retailers in North America and Europe as well as a push into game rentals, while publishers look more closely at direct sales via digital distribution.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/economic-fears-hit-retailer-stock-orders

This is bad in general for the video gaming industry. This will hurt many smaller devs as well if retailers aren't ordering significant stock. Niche games will definitely be hurt the most.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
aww man. I see many wii projects not seeing the light of day.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Stoked and Onechanbara... :cry:

I guess it's good I pre-order!

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Makes sense. Hell I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier to help push pre-order and used game sales.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Makes sense. Hell I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier to help push pre-order and used game sales.PBSnipes
More or less. In tough times, everyone has to tighten the belts a bit, but things will get better eventually.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
[QUOTE="gamefan67"]aww man. I see many wii projects not seeing the light of day.

I would worry more about the high costing games...If retailers are ordering less copies than some companies may not want to poor has much money into a game
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...FirstDiscovery

Yeah, like Okami and Beyond Good and Evil.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Maybe they could find alternate solutions, like have online pre-orders for specific stores and such to help them know how much stock to get. This is definatly problematic, so some solution has to come out that can help retailers order less, but make it so gamers still have access to the games. Atlus and NIS America release a lot of niche Japanese titles, but they commonly only send a few to each store, so you pretty much have to pre-order, so if that happened for more games and someone forgot to pre-order, it would definatly suck, I guess the best idea until they get out of the harder economic times is to research what should sell, or do something like easier online pre-orders for specific stores, so people who might have to drive 20 minutes to a Gamestop, don't have to do it twice for a single game.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...IronBass

Both of which sold loads compared to todays standards of a flop:| You do realise that both SoTC and ICO (another two 'flops') sold atleast 700k each, games were great back in those days, there was no casual Wii taking up all the hardcore space
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zhengi
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...

What are you blabbing about? There were games that flopped in sales during the PSone and PS2 days. And why are you bringing the Wii up? This situation affects all systems.
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...Zhengi
What are you blabbing about? There were games that flopped in sales during the PSone and PS2 days. And why are you bringing the Wii up? This situation affects all systems.

Seriously, what is this guys problem? I'm not much of a nintendo fan but seeing him relate ANY bit of news to a Nintendo bash is pretty pathetic. I bet he thinks casual games didn't exist till the wii :roll:

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts
[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...FirstDiscovery

Both of which sold loads compared to todays standards of a flop:| You do realise that both SoTC and ICO (another two 'flops') sold atleast 700k each, games were great back in those days, there was no casual Wii taking up all the hardcore space

yeah, Okami sold so well that Clover Studios (developer of Okami) is still around... oh wait:|

Reality Check: Okami sold so poorly that Capcom had to close Clover Studios

slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
This is excellent news for DD.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...shutdown_202

Seriously, what is this guys problem? I'm not much of a nintendo fan but seeing him relate ANY bit of news to a Nintendo bash is pretty pathetic. I bet he thinks casual games didn't exist till the wii :roll:

Casual games existed, and for good reason, we need the commons to get into gaming and then for them to graduate, just like every other gamer that has every existed. Unfortunately, the Wii is taking the commons/lesser market, and making sure they stay casuals. Even PS2 casuals who bought both hardcore and casual titles simply due to how huge the userbase was is now being turned 'Nintendo' Its like Cadbury, they pay workers in cocoa plants so little that they stay poor and have nowhere else to go to
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...

You know some games do flop once in a while, it happens sadly, but the chance of that has no increases many folds with high costs as well as dwindling hardcore userbase
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="IronBass"]

ogvampire

yeah, Okami sold so well that Clover Studios (developer of Okami) is still around... oh wait:|

The PS2 by late 2006 was not selling as much software, and given how Clover studious werent known to make the biggest hits, they saw little reason in keeping them Their other games sold well in the peak of PS2 dominance, you wonder why they didnt close them then?
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ogvampire
[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"] What are you blabbing about? There were games that flopped in sales during the PSone and PS2 days. And why are you bringing the Wii up? This situation affects all systems. FirstDiscovery

Casual games existed, and for good reason, we need the commons to get into gaming and then for them to graduate, just like every other gamer that has every existed. Unfortunately, the Wii is taking the commons/lesser market, and making sure they stay casuals. Even PS2 casuals who bought both hardcore and casual titles simply due to how huge the userbase was is now being turned 'Nintendo' Its like Cadbury, they pay workers in cocoa plants so little that they stay poor and have nowhere else to go to

and this here is why SW is so entertaining....

reality and logic need not apply

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Both of which sold loads compared to todays standards of a flop:| You do realise that both SoTC and ICO (another two 'flops') sold atleast 700k each, games were great back in those days, there was no casual Wii taking up all the hardcore spaceFirstDiscovery

The PS2 by late 2006 was not selling as much software, and given how Clover studious werent known to make the biggest hits, they saw little reason in keeping them Their other games sold well in the peak of PS2 dominance, you wonder why they didnt close them then?

And its amazing about that time is when we started seeing a recession start? Amazing how the global economy affects umm.. everyone? Including the video game industry. Yup, you're right.. the Wii caused a global recession, caused Lair and Haze to flop and Factor 5 and Free Radical to close. Anything else you wanna blame on the Wii?

And errrr.. which one of Clover Studio's games sold well?

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Both of which sold loads compared to todays standards of a flop:| You do realise that both SoTC and ICO (another two 'flops') sold atleast 700k each, games were great back in those days, there was no casual Wii taking up all the hardcore spaceFirstDiscovery

out of a userbase of over 110 million, okami was only able to sell 270,000 units (lifetime)

you do the math...

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

out of a userbase of over 110 million, okami was only able to sell 270,000 units (lifetime)

you do the math...

Right so basically devs should make games for PSone and PS2, because you know they have high userbase therefore EVERY game will sell well I know its shocking, but once upon a time, only a few titles every once in a while flopped, yes shocking i know give how many hardcore games this gen fail, you know who to blame...;)
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

ogvampire

I know, especially when you try to use smart comments because you cant answer a post?
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]The PS2 by late 2006 was not selling as much software, and given how Clover studious werent known to make the biggest hits, they saw little reason in keeping them Their other games sold well in the peak of PS2 dominance, you wonder why they didnt close them then?FirstDiscovery

you do the math...

Right so basically devs should make games for PSone and PS2, because you know they have high userbase therefore EVERY game will sell well I know its shocking, but once upon a time, only a few titles every once in a while flopped, yes shocking i know give how many hardcore games this gen fail, you know who to blame...;)

270k units in Psone days would have been a Greatest Hits title.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FirstDiscovery

dotWithShoes

And its amazing about that time is when we started seeing a recession start? Amazing how the global economy affects umm.. everyone? Including the video game industry. Yup, you're right.. the Wii caused a global recession, caused Lair and Haze to flop and Factor 5 and Free Radical to close. Anything else you wanna blame on the Wii?

And yet the situation would be nowhere near as bad had we a console that sold games without multi-million ad campaigns or being made to cater to those who arent smart enough to go check up recipes on the net (yes shocking, i cant remember the name of it but it has sold millions)
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FirstDiscovery

you do the math...

dotWithShoes

In a single region, 270k units is good, and a God-send in this age;) I sure wouldnt mind seeing Eternal Sonata selling that much in EU and NA COMBINED, let alone in each region:lol:
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]The PS2 by late 2006 was not selling as much software, and given how Clover studious werent known to make the biggest hits, they saw little reason in keeping them Their other games sold well in the peak of PS2 dominance, you wonder why they didnt close them then?FirstDiscovery

And yet the situation would be nowhere near as bad had we a console that sold games without multi-million ad campaigns or being made to cater to those who arent smart enough to go check up recipes on the net (yes shocking, i cant remember the name of it but it has sold millions)

Viewtiful Joe? VJ2? Okami?(lol) God Hand? Or VJ: Red Hot Rumble?One of those? We know it wasn't Okami. So, which one was it?

Seems games sell over a million on the Wii without huge ad campaigns.. I saw very little Mario Kart ads, its sold over/close to 15million. SSBB? Did it have a huge ad campaign? Guitar Hero: WT? Don't really remember, but probably did.. Yeah, the Wii is the reason behind the global economic crisis.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] And its amazing about that time is when we started seeing a recession start? Amazing how the global economy affects umm.. everyone? Including the video game industry. Yup, you're right.. the Wii caused a global recession, caused Lair and Haze to flop and Factor 5 and Free Radical to close. Anything else you wanna blame on the Wii?

dotWithShoes

Viewtiful Joe? VJ2? Okami?(lol) God Hand? Or VJ: Red Hot Rumble?One of those? We know it wasn't Okami. So, which one was it?

Seems games sell over a million on the Wii without huge ad campaigns.. I saw very little Mario Kart ads, its sold over/close to 15million. SSBB? Did it have a huge ad campaign? Guitar Hero: WT? Don't really remember, but probably did.. Yeah, the Wii is the reason behind the global economic crisis.

I cheated, add Nintendo first party Buh buh we have teh third party sales:cry: I suggest you look up at the fact that the PS2 had roughly 300 million sellers, and God knows how many games above 500k, or even games that made profit, you see back in those days, it was so much of a risk for a dev to make a unique game because a game would still sell something regardless...
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]The PS2 by late 2006 was not selling as much software, and given how Clover studious werent known to make the biggest hits, they saw little reason in keeping them Their other games sold well in the peak of PS2 dominance, you wonder why they didnt close them then?FirstDiscovery

you do the math...

not sure what are ranting about, but i was correcting your claim about how okami sold 'loads'... it didnt.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Casual games existed, and for good reason, we need the commons to get into gaming and then for them to graduate, just like every other gamer that has every existed. Unfortunately, the Wii is taking the commons/lesser market, and making sure they stay casuals. Even PS2 casuals who bought both hardcore and casual titles simply due to how huge the userbase was is now being turned 'Nintendo' Its like Cadbury, they pay workers in cocoa plants so little that they stay poor and have nowhere else to go toFirstDiscovery

I know, especially when you try to use smart comments because you cant answer a post?

i would answer a post if it was grounded in reality, not born in fantasy land:|

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FirstDiscovery

you do the math...

ogvampire

not sure what are ranting about, but i was correcting your claim about how okami sold 'loads'... it didnt.

And it did for the type of game it is, the amount it cost, and the time it was released.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ogvampire
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Right so basically devs should make games for PSone and PS2, because you know they have high userbase therefore EVERY game will sell well I know its shocking, but once upon a time, only a few titles every once in a while flopped, yes shocking i know give how many hardcore games this gen fail, you know who to blame...;)FirstDiscovery

In a single region, 270k units is good, and a God-send in this age;) I sure wouldnt mind seeing Eternal Sonata selling that much in EU and NA COMBINED, let alone in each region:lol:

for a game that was advertised, and got good ratings all around. 270k on a 110mil userbase is a massive flop

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]And yet the situation would be nowhere near as bad had we a console that sold games without multi-million ad campaigns or being made to cater to those who arent smart enough to go check up recipes on the net (yes shocking, i cant remember the name of it but it has sold millions)FirstDiscovery

I cheated, add Nintendo first party Buh buh we have teh third party sales:cry: I suggest you look up at the fact that the PS2 had roughly 300 million sellers, and God knows how many games above 500k, or even games that made profit, you see back in those days, it was so much of a risk for a dev to make a unique game because a game would still sell something regardless...

Roughly 200 million sellers. With a lot of those being sports titles.. yeah, lots of niche and unique titles in that list. I like the way you pick out which questions you wanna answer and ignore the ones you know you can't.
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FirstDiscovery

ogvampire

Offcourse i understand, but yes, what is so zany about my post?:|
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Right so basically devs should make games for PSone and PS2, because you know they have high userbase therefore EVERY game will sell well I know its shocking, but once upon a time, only a few titles every once in a while flopped, yes shocking i know give how many hardcore games this gen fail, you know who to blame...;)FirstDiscovery

And it did for the type of game it is, the amount it cost, and the time it was released.

for the type of game it is? tomb raider sold millions (action/adventure genre)

amount it cost? if it made money, the devs wouldnt have been shut down

time it was released? that same year the ps2 had 5 games in the top ten selling over 1 million units

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"] Viewtiful Joe? VJ2? Okami?(lol) God Hand? Or VJ: Red Hot Rumble?One of those? We know it wasn't Okami. So, which one was it?

dotWithShoes

Roughly 200 million sellers. With a lot of those being sports titles.. yeah, lots of niche and unique titles in that list. I like the way you pick out which questions you wanna answer and ignore the ones you know you can't.

Like what? And no VGC reports around 150 with LOADS and LOADS of game missing. Secondly, VGC is reporting those numbers, very few of them they themselves counted. And lastly, like i said, how many games were still succesful despite selling less than a million?
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FirstDiscovery

ogvampire

time it was released? that same year the ps2 had 5 games in the top ten selling over 1 million units

Right so why then did Majesco make a loss in 07? Oh i know, it must mean all their games flopped, even though Cooking Mama sold most then;) I mean lets forget all their restructuring, inefficiencies and investments...
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]I know, especially when you try to use smart comments because you cant answer a post?FirstDiscovery

"the Wii is taking the commons/lesser market, and making sure they stay casuals"

nintendo wants casuals (who dont buy alot of games) to stay casuals. (makes sense right, nintendo is worried about selling things, they are a business)

Even PS2 casuals who bought both hardcore and casual titles simply due to how huge the userbase was

yeah, that sure makes alot of sense right there too.... ps2 casuals bought hardcore games due to how huge the userbase was? wha?

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]And it did for the type of game it is, the amount it cost, and the time it was released.FirstDiscovery

Right so why then did Majesco make a loss in 07? Oh i know, it must mean all their games flopped, even though Cooking Mama sold most then;) I mean lets forget all their restructuring, inefficiencies and investments...

its quite entertaining how you side-step all the statements that prove your claims wrong... keep it up

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FirstDiscovery

ogvampire

"the Wii is taking the commons/lesser market, and making sure they stay casuals"

nintendo wants casuals (who dont buy alot of games) to stay casuals. (makes sense right, nintendo is worried about selling things, they are a business)

Even PS2 casuals who bought both hardcore and casual titles simply due to how huge the userbase was

yeah, that sure makes alot of sense right there too.... ps2 casuals bought hardcore games due to how huge the userbase was? wha?

Ehh when did i say they want them to stay casual? Nintendo 'stream' of casual titles and lack of third-party has done that. And plus, casuals do buy games, their games that is. Being third-party and watching from the sides sounds like fun! What im saying is the market can be split up, and a huge segment of the market was made off semi-casuals, the ones who would buy NFS but also once in a while buy Richard Burns Rally. And why were the so many? Well given how big the PSone and PS2 userbases were, you can expect many of them
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]Offcourse i understand, but yes, what is so zany about my post?:|FirstDiscovery

Ehh when did i say they want them to stay casual? Nintendo 'stream' of casual titles and lack of third-party has done that. And plus, casuals do buy games, their games that is. Being third-party and watching from the sides sounds like fun! What im saying is the market can be split up, and a huge segment of the market was made off semi-casuals, the ones who would buy NFS but also once in a while buy Richard Burns Rally. And why were the so many? Well given how big the PSone and PS2 userbases were, you can expect many of them

this is your exact quote:

"Casual games existed, and for good reason, we need the commons to get into gaming and then for them to graduate, just like every other gamer that has every existed. Unfortunately, the Wii is taking the commons/lesser market, and making sure they stay casuals. Even PS2 casuals who bought both hardcore and casual titles simply due to how huge the userbase was is now being turned 'Nintendo' Its like Cadbury, they pay workers in cocoa plants so little that they stay poor and have nowhere else to go to"

Fire-of-Njozi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fire-of-Njozi
Member since 2009 • 468 Posts
Maybe they could find alternate solutions, like have online pre-orders for specific stores and such to help them know how much stock to get. This is definatly problematic, so some solution has to come out that can help retailers order less, but make it so gamers still have access to the games. Atlus and NIS America release a lot of niche Japanese titles, but they commonly only send a few to each store, so you pretty much have to pre-order, so if that happened for more games and someone forgot to pre-order, it would definatly suck, I guess the best idea until they get out of the harder economic times is to research what should sell, or do something like easier online pre-orders for specific stores, so people who might have to drive 20 minutes to a Gamestop, don't have to do it twice for a single game. 110million
the ultimate solution is Digital Download. you'll see an even bigger push from publishers towards DD if this trend continues, as well as a more serious backing from console manufacturers.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ogvampire

[QUOTE="110million"]Maybe they could find alternate solutions, like have online pre-orders for specific stores and such to help them know how much stock to get. This is definatly problematic, so some solution has to come out that can help retailers order less, but make it so gamers still have access to the games. Atlus and NIS America release a lot of niche Japanese titles, but they commonly only send a few to each store, so you pretty much have to pre-order, so if that happened for more games and someone forgot to pre-order, it would definatly suck, I guess the best idea until they get out of the harder economic times is to research what should sell, or do something like easier online pre-orders for specific stores, so people who might have to drive 20 minutes to a Gamestop, don't have to do it twice for a single game. Fire-of-Njozi
the ultimate solution is Digital Download. you'll see an even bigger push from publishers towards DD if this trend continues, as well as a more serious backing from console manufacturers.

that would be bad. for the most part, i dont like DD

if a buy a game, i want to be able to let my friends borrow it. something you cant do with DD

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zhengi
[QUOTE="110million"]Maybe they could find alternate solutions, like have online pre-orders for specific stores and such to help them know how much stock to get. This is definatly problematic, so some solution has to come out that can help retailers order less, but make it so gamers still have access to the games. Atlus and NIS America release a lot of niche Japanese titles, but they commonly only send a few to each store, so you pretty much have to pre-order, so if that happened for more games and someone forgot to pre-order, it would definatly suck, I guess the best idea until they get out of the harder economic times is to research what should sell, or do something like easier online pre-orders for specific stores, so people who might have to drive 20 minutes to a Gamestop, don't have to do it twice for a single game. Fire-of-Njozi

I don't think digital downloads is the answer. Most of a devs money is still made through retailers and that is because consumers are more likely to see a product in a store rather than actually surfing the systems' catalog of games online. This is especially true during the Fall holiday season when people are out shopping for a Christmas gift to give to someone. DD will definitely help many devs, but it's not the solution.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Stuff like this didnt happen in the PSone and PS2 days, when third-party games sold millions every week Offcourse you claim the Wii is that...FirstDiscovery

Don't blame the wii that the PS3 and 360 can't compete. But that's irrelevant since cows and Lemmings don't play sales right ;)