SCE Executive: 'PS4 May Not Have Better Graphics Than The PS3'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bigboss5ak (2865 posts) -

http://gamingbolt.com/sce-executive-ps4-may-not-have-better-graphics-than-the-ps3

There has been a lot of talk regarding the beginning of the nextgenerationconsoles. With the PlayStation 3 nearing 5 years in the market this November, people are already talking about it's succesor the PlayStation 4.

In an interesting interview,James Armstrong, VP SCEE, (CEO SCE Spain+Portugal) had made some interesting statements about the PlayStation 4.

When asked about how Sony will accelerate plans regarding the launch of the successor to the PS3, he said:

As I said before, I think PS3 still has great life.This year in Spain we have the foresight to sell 500,000 consoles .And if true, may well become the best-selling entertainment system in our country during this 2011.In what marks the fifth year of Wii market, Nintendo has announced a new platform that will surely launch late next year.As we will see, wish them good luck.

He also thinks that Sony's next console may not have better visuals but will have a betteraccessible experience and will also betargetedtowards girls.

It's hard to say right now.I do not think we'll have a console with a lot better graphics than the PS3 currently offered.I believe the future will be to offer consumers better and more accessible experience .The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women.

#2 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Hey, Sony: Nintendo did that six years ago. Get with the times, bro.

God, it must suck being behind the curve all the time. :lol:

#3 Posted by CallOfDutyXxX (159 posts) -
As long as it will have Call of Duty, everybody will be happy.
#4 Posted by Snugenz (11889 posts) -

That would be hilarious if it happened after all the Wii and Kinect bashing the cows having been throwing around, "teh casual console" haha ...

Doubt it'll happen but it would be funny.

#5 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21769 posts) -
I rather wait and see.
#6 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -
So they're basicly doing what Nintendo did with the Nintendo Wii? I can't wait to see Microsoft's next console. :D
#7 Posted by 2_Quiet_2_Riot (717 posts) -

DarkLink77

Same can be said about WiiU :lol:

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -
This will be so interesting.
#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

2_Quiet_2_Riot

Because the Wii U does nothing that wasn't done six years ago :roll:
#10 Posted by catfishmoon23 (5197 posts) -

PS4 may not have "a lot better graphics." The author of the article, Rashid Sayed, seems to have misquoted in his title unless the text that was translated by Google translation isn't correct.

#11 Posted by todd2r (2615 posts) -
Is it just me or have all the 3 major companies lost their damn minds?
#12 Posted by delta3074 (18410 posts) -
roughly transalted "we made some really bad decisions this gen and we cannot afford to develop a super powered console" SONY would be utterly stupid to follow this line of thinking, with the power of PC's rapidly moving ahead and the basic fact that the next Xbox wil be at least twice the power of the current 360 they mayas well just shoot themselves in the Head.
#13 Posted by johnnyblazed88 (4232 posts) -

then why buy it? lol

#14 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

I get the feeling they're having trouble cooling hardware in a console-sized case.

#15 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -
[QUOTE="2_Quiet_2_Riot"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

charizard1605

Yeah, man, the PS3 and the 360 have a tablet controller and all that fancy new s*** that the Wii U does! :roll:
#16 Posted by LookAnDrolL (2483 posts) -
Instead of doing another stupid pricy console they should learn to make interesting games like PS2 had. If I want graphics I'll use my PC, thanks. Bring back the games. Till then, my ps3 stays in its box collecting dust, while I enjoy my PS2.
#17 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

It will be better, but not a whole gen better.:P

#18 Posted by gaming25 (6181 posts) -

Gamingbolt said that he said "may not have better graphics", but in the quote he said "a lot better graphics" which seems different to me.

ThenGamingbolt went on to say (which makes it more difficult to understand) "I think what Armstrong meant over here is that they may not improve upon certain technicalities like resolutions and disc format, namely 1080P and Blu Ray."

#19 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9812 posts) -
isn't that basically what they did with the PSmove?? At the time of PSmove and Kinect didn't Sony and MS regard those additions kind of like a new console release?- which makes sense since they came at roughly the same time that a new console would normally come out.
#20 Posted by delta3074 (18410 posts) -

I get the feeling they're having trouble cooling hardware in a console-sized case.

-Unreal-
that's not an issue now with the current die sizes, you would need 2 xenos chips now (45nm) to match the power consumption and heat output of the original xenos chips (90 nm)
#21 Posted by chapnzaba (2302 posts) -
Ah, so Sony is pulling a Wii move? Do not want.
#22 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="2_Quiet_2_Riot"]

DarkLink77

Yeah, man, the PS3 and the 360 have a tablet controller and all that fancy new s*** that the Wii U does! :roll:

Exactly! Nintendo's just playing catch up man!

#23 Posted by 1stPlaceWinner (1120 posts) -
He said it might not have a lot better graphics, I thought this was expected?
#24 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

delta3074
that's not an issue now with the current die sizes, you would need 2 xenos chips now (45nm) to match the power consumption and heat output of the original xenos chips (90 nm)

Current high end GPUs and CPUs put off a lot of heat compared to Xbox360 and PS3 hardware and even those have had a lot of trouble being cooled effectively.
#25 Posted by PrettyHateMx (87 posts) -
Playstation Poop confirmed? :P
#26 Posted by Zaibach (13457 posts) -

Are we taking this as fact now?

#28 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
Pink PS4 confirmed.
#30 Posted by CallOfDutyXxX (159 posts) -

[QUOTE="bigboss5ak"]

The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women.

aia89

I think that's a troll post. he couldn't have possibly said something so..weird?

Nah, he's basically doing what Nintendo's been doing all these years.
#31 Posted by delta3074 (18410 posts) -
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

-Unreal-

Current high end GPUs and CPUs put off a lot of heat compared to Xbox360 and PS3 hardware and even those have had a lot of trouble being cooled effectively.

yeah but the current high end GPU's and CPU's in PC's are vastly more powerful than the ones used for consoles and by the time next gen comes die sizes will probably be even smaller, does seem to me that they are constantly playing catch up and releasing CPU's and GPU's before they reach the correct die size to make these chips run as efficienly and as cool as they should.
#32 Posted by AnnoyedDragon (9948 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised in the least, given that development costs are expected to double next generation, and they are already killing the industry as it is.

The question would be then, why would people pay for a whole new system; to get more of the same?

#33 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

[QUOTE="bigboss5ak"]

The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women.

aia89

I think that's a troll post. he couldn't have possibly said something so..weird?

I thought you would be happy with that?
#34 Posted by 1stPlaceWinner (1120 posts) -

Are we taking this as fact now?

Zaibach
looking at the exclusive lineup this year its not surprising some people have to try to troll the next playstation
#35 Posted by aia89 (2266 posts) -
[QUOTE="aia89"]

[QUOTE="bigboss5ak"]

Arach666

and why's that? I don't play Barbie, sorry dude!
#36 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -
Then why the holy hell would you make a new console? Even the Wii was somewhat improved over the Gamecube.
#37 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="aia89"]

aia89

and why's that? I don't play Barbie, sorry dude!

Why not? Barbie Horse Adventures is pretty good.

#38 Posted by XenogearsMaster (3104 posts) -
Is this for real? This is a joke people, lol.
#39 Posted by KarateeeChop (4649 posts) -

gotta give it to sony. i can't really thing of a better way to tell your fans that you just don't give a **** anymore. :lol:

#40 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

Maybe the same level of graphics but a higher frame rate and more RAM?

#41 Posted by lundy86_4 (43515 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised. Sony tried a lot this gen, including introducing a new format, which really didn't help costs. It makes sense that they'd go for a smaller step up, rather than try and release a console that is insanely expensive.

#43 Posted by CallOfDutyXxX (159 posts) -
[QUOTE="enterawesome"]Then why the holy hell would you make a new console? Even the Wii was somewhat improved over the Gamecube.Desmonic
If the complete answer ( the rest is in my previous post) really does show Sony's real intentions, then it will be a Wii of sorts. The graphics will be improved (obviously) but not much apparently...

That would be the End of Sony, as we know it today. Hopefully, it won't occur.
#45 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

While this is not a confirmation by any means,if it ends up being true,I wouldn´t be surprised. We already have the WiiU being apparently only a sligth improvement over the current consoles and now Sony going through a similar route as well? I´ve said this was a possibility many times before,and guys like The Steris would laugh and say that that´s just hermit´s wishfull thinking...

Yeah,let´s see how this develops.

#46 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

So next Gen Playstation would be the Wii and the Wii U would be like the PS3 in terms of Specs next gen.

If that is true.

#47 Posted by i5750at4Ghz (5839 posts) -
[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

gotta give it to sony. i can't really thing of a better way to tell your fans that you just don't give a **** anymore. :lol:

Desmonic
Sort of reminds me how MS told their fans they didn't give a **** anymore when they shifted their full focus to Kinect..... ;)

MS hasn't put there full focus on any one thing. Thats what makes them so great. They focus on everyone, whether you want a social, core, casual or other types of entertainment MS has it all. If anything Sony stopped focusing on what it dis best, PS3 a damn shooter console now.
#48 Posted by ManicAce (3267 posts) -
Hre's an idea, when WiiU hits the market there's gonna be a lot of 2nd hand Wii's for sale, maybe Sony could buy those and just paint them black.
#49 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -
[QUOTE="Desmonic"][QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

i5750at4Ghz
Sort of reminds me how MS told their fans they didn't give a **** anymore when they shifted their full focus to Kinect..... ;)

MS hasn't put there full focus on any one thing. Thats what makes them so great. They focus on everyone, whether you want a social, core, casual or other types of entertainment MS has it all. If anything Sony stopped focusing on what it dis best, PS3 a damn shooter console now.

They want to beat Halo and Call of Duty so bad. :lol:
#50 Posted by XenogearsMaster (3104 posts) -
Why does everyone keep saying it will be like Wii when we have the PS3 and the Move....? He said "enter the world of video games" which only means cyberspace where you enter with your mind to a virtual reality and that there will be women waiting for you.