Save Your Money

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Darkfibre (61 posts) -

Dont buy a next gen system for the moment. Why?

1. Unproven hardware. Most not much better than a mid-range PC. Dont be a beta tester. Wait for the updates.

2. Launch Titles are poor

3. Good launch titles are also available on your existing console

4. No backward compatability to all those games you keep playing

5. All your friends are still on your old console

6. Consoles are a lot of cash. They may drop in price. Even the games are more expensive.

7. Not all of that extra functionality and Apps are there yet on the new systems.

Wait until March

#2 Posted by EatShanna (875 posts) -

March? Try next holiday season. :)

I never rush into buying new hardware, and I doubt the games I'm interested in(Uncharted 4, Gears 4, Halo 5, etc) will be released before September-December 2014.

Right now I have a PC that answers all my demands, no need to spend $400-500 just to play some multiplatform titles that look better on my PC anyway.

#3 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38212 posts) -

People can spend their money however they want

#4 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

1. Unproven hardware. Most not much better than a mid-range PC. Dont be a beta tester. Wait for the updates.

6. Consoles are a lot of cash. They may drop in price. Even the games are more expensive.

7. Not all of that extra functionality and Apps are there yet on the new systems.

Wait until March

1. Always been the case, hasn't stopped me before. And 5 months from now it will be the same hardware.

2. Seem good/great to me. First one I'm playing today is AAA.

3. True, but they're better on the next gen system. Given the choice I want to play them on a better console.

4. I still have those systems, I like BC but it is not needed to play the games I have b/c I still have the systems too.

5. I don't care about MP so this affects me very little. Also many of my friends that I actually make time to play with/against are also getting the new consoles.

6. They won't drop in price soon enough. One of the games I got was free, and two I'm DLing today are also free. Plus gaming is expensive, if I was afraid of cost this wouldn't be my main hobby.

7. I want to play games, I could care less about the extra apps.

#5 Edited by b4il (91 posts) -

1. i hope ms learned from their previous launch. the x1 seems like a solid piece of hardware and looks big enough to prevent overheating.

2. your opinion, i'll enjoy 3-4 games at launch, more to game in the next 4-6 months.

3. already sold my 360

4. already sold my 360 games

5. where i live everybody has a playstation, i had a 360 so i'm kind of used to that

6. good point, i guess especially the x1 will drop to 400 to compete with sony's price after a few months. but i'm really impatient so i'll pay the launch price. but i doubt that's gonna happen by march. but i got the day one edition with fifa included, so i didn't pay the full price.

7. couldn't care less

#6 Posted by granddogg (409 posts) -

got a gaming pc and after lastnite i have a ps4(changed my mine at the last min.) enjoy life man...

#7 Edited by heretrix (37303 posts) -
#8 Posted by blackace (20238 posts) -

Yup.. and we will. I think someone paid $800 on a video graphic card that was just released recently. lol!!

#9 Edited by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

I'm not getting any console for at least 1 year, maybe 2-3 years

#10 Posted by Heil68 (43373 posts) -

k

ooops :D

#11 Posted by trentonspliff80 (185 posts) -

It's sound advice, but man... we've waited 8 years.

#12 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -
#13 Posted by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

Wonder Woman responds.

"Thanks, dad."

#14 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -
#15 Posted by Shewgenja (8425 posts) -

I'm not regretting having a PS4. This is a nice piece of kit. Straight up!

#16 Edited by MrGeezer (56089 posts) -

I probably won't pick one up for a while. I'm not necessarily waiting for a price drop or anything, but there really aren't any games on the horizon that I'm terribly interested, and there's still too much stuff for the PS3 that I'm still hoping to get around to playing. It'd be one thing if the PS4 was backwards compatible, but it's not. Even if I were to get a PS4, I'd still be playing mostly PS3 games. Doesn't make sense to me to buy a $400 console and then have it unplugged 90% of the time I'm gaming.

#17 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24834 posts) -

It's pretty hard.

(I was actually really psyched for the PS4 launch)

But I really don't want to go get one till the inevitable Final Fantasy XV Bundle.

#18 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

i saved my money

but when wii u launched, i failed to save my money. gen was too long.

#19 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38212 posts) -

@blackace said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yup.. and we will. I think someone paid $800 on a video graphic card that was just released recently. lol!!

So you point out that people can spend their money how they want and then laugh at someone who did just that? makes sense

#20 Posted by SpiderLuke (477 posts) -

March isn't that far off.

#21 Posted by aroxx_ab (9254 posts) -

4. If you keep your old games you want to play, then keep your old console as well...doh

#22 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2376 posts) -

Who are you to tell me what do with my hard earned money?

Did i tell you what to do with your money?

#23 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13328 posts) -
#24 Edited by Netret0120 (2025 posts) -

Winter 2014

Thats when it would begin to matter.

PS3 is the true winner this holiday

#25 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Who are you to tell me what do with my hard earned money?

Did i tell you what to do with your money?

I really don't think that was his point..

#26 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6950 posts) -

If you aren't going to wait at least a year for a price drop, then launch day is absolutely the best time to buy a console.

#27 Edited by kipsta77 (933 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

k

ooops :D

This is the second time I've seen this pic in sw this morning. Stop posting it.

#28 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20732 posts) -

thanks captain obvious!

#29 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@Darkfibre said:

Wait until March

1. Always been the case, hasn't stopped me before. And 5 months from now it will be the same hardware.

2. Seem good/great to me. First one I'm playing today is AAA.

3. True, but they're better on the next gen system. Given the choice I want to play them on a better console.

4. I still have those systems, I like BC but it is not needed to play the games I have b/c I still have the systems too.

5. I don't care about MP so this affects me very little. Also many of my friends that I actually make time to play with/against are also getting the new consoles.

6. They won't drop in price soon enough. One of the games I got was free, and two I'm DLing today are also free. Plus gaming is expensive, if I was afraid of cost this wouldn't be my main hobby.

7. I want to play games, I could care less about the extra apps.

^ All of that, yep

#30 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -
#31 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

I already have a Wii U and a Vita so yeah, go ahead and try to persuade me from bad purchases.

#32 Posted by layton2012 (3653 posts) -

I will wait until at least March and get the PS4 Infamous bundle. Knack was the only game I was slightly interested in, and we saw how that turned out. It was a no-brainer for me to wait.

#33 Posted by RossRichard (2332 posts) -

I'm going to wait until there are a few games I want to play. So probably this time next year.

#34 Edited by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

I already have the kiddy system wiiu(it was a gift). By the end of December, I'll have the ultimate next gen gaming machine(Ps4). I won't get the cabal box(Xbone) because I have no interest in watching TV.

#35 Posted by Darkfibre (61 posts) -
#36 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

No.

#37 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4241 posts) -

Actually, I'm not sure there really is much point of waiting on buying a next-gen console.

Unless you are absolutely, 100% certain you will want to play only current-gen games over the next 12 months, you should buy at least one next-gen console right now.

There will not be a price cut 12 months from now, at least for the PS4. No chance. It's selling way too well at its current price. If you wait a year to buy it, you'll probably be spending the same $399 you're paying right now.

As for unproven hardware... I think it's pretty clear already that the PS4 and One will be a normative standard for developers over the next several years in terms of game development. It really doesn't matter what PC specs the PS4 compares with. Sony has a history of long support cycles for their consoles, so by buying one today you reasonably expect you'll probably get 6-7 years of software support out of it.

Honestly, a PS4 purchase is about as low risk as it gets in the tech world. Consoles are the only type of device in the modern age which aren't constantly refreshed and updated with a new one every year. And even when consoles are refreshed and updated to make them slimmer and lighter, it rarely affects game compatibility with earlier systems.

(Obviously, I'm excluding PC gaming from this argument).

#38 Edited by Zassimick (6319 posts) -

If only you would have made this argument sooner! Shucks. Guess I'll just suffer with My PS4 and Wii U.

Sounds mean, not meant to be mean. Just sarcastic. :P

#39 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -
#40 Posted by outworld222 (2400 posts) -

Money makes my pants itchy.

#41 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

I should be receiving my PS4 from Target via UPS tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well.

#42 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4345 posts) -

very good thread tc, excellent reasons there. i for one will avoid next gen consoles on your advice.