Sam Raimi to direct The Last of Us Movie

• 92 results
#1 Edited by Gue1 (10750 posts) -

Raimi is easily one of my fav directors. Spider-man 3 wasn't his fault, it was the studio's! And these aren't the only good news, the casting seems to be perfect too! And it's kind of ironic that Sony scored such big director for the movie while they been struggling with Uncharted's, which BTW, they are gonna start filming next year and we know shit about it so we don't complain again.

Bruce Campbell (Joel - Unconfirmed) You might know him from Evil Dead

Maisie Williams (Ellie - Confirmed) Game of Thrones

News came in today at Comic-Con

#2 Edited by Flubbbs (3416 posts) -

hes producing it, not directing it.. Neil Druckmann is in charge to find a director.. and Bruce Campbell isnt Joel

#4 Posted by Telekill (4927 posts) -

Bruce Campbell as Joel doesn't mesh well. I hope he isn't picked.

#5 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8980 posts) -

Swing and a miss...

#6 Posted by clyde46 (47010 posts) -

That thing? Have you seen those eyebrows?

#7 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10624 posts) -

Wasn't TLOU already a movie?

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73553 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

False. Bruce is not yet confirmed as Joel (nor does it seem he will play Joel at all). Nor is Maisie as Ellie for that matter, they are still in talks with both artists.

i think it's a given she'll play ellie

#9 Edited by scottpsfan14 (6175 posts) -

If these movies are done properly, they could end up really big. Uncharted would be a real replacement for Indiana Jones if done well.

#10 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18152 posts) -

So much wrong in one post. Geez.

#11 Posted by Nike_Air (18381 posts) -

Hugh Jackman and Saoirse Ronan could probably pull it off.

#12 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18152 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

This is what kills me. Why take away the best part of the experience? Basically the player input. And Uncharted seems even more pointless.

#13 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10624 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

This is what kills me. Why take away the best part of the experience? Basically the player input. And Uncharted seems even more pointless.

Besides has a movie based on a video game ever worked?

#14 Posted by DilIigaf (27 posts) -

My God, would it hurt you to know what you were talking about before making a thread? A little research goes a long way.

#15 Posted by WallofTruth (1827 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Nice troll attempt but you know damn well that there's a difference between an interactive movie and a real movie.

#16 Edited by WallofTruth (1827 posts) -

Oh and lol thread backfired.

#17 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10624 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Nice troll attempt but you know damn well that there's a difference between an interactive movie and a real movie.

I know I know...but tbh the acting and story was movie quality. Why ruin it.

#18 Edited by 2Chalupas (5233 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Besides has a movie based on a video game ever worked?

Apparanty, none has ever cracked 50% on rotten tomatoes. Actually only a few have cracked 30%. So I think that's a pretty safe "no", although Resident Evil somehow turned into a movie franchise (1st one was OK, but some of the sequels are among the worst movies I've ever seen).

#19 Edited by foxhound_fox (89887 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

and Bruce Campbell isnt Joel

My care went from OMFGZORZ! to:

#20 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

That's fucking awesome.

Evil Dead!

#21 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27499 posts) -

If Raimi was director, I'd fear for this project since Raimi's last directed horror film SUCKED!

#22 Edited by uninspiredcup (10163 posts) -

But Last Of Us was already a clone of a movie.

Even the ending is a copy paste. Naughty Dog can't do original sadly, they should all be fired.

#23 Posted by freedomfreak (41967 posts) -

What did the green grape say to the purple grape? "Breath, you idiot!"

#24 Edited by mems_1224 (47860 posts) -

everything about this sounds fucking atrocious.

#25 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

isn't it basically already a movie? whats the point...

#26 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7584 posts) -

I think Maisie Williams would make a good Ellie but Bruce Campbell Oh Hell no. Josh Brolin would make a good Joel imo. Also they should get someone other then Raimi since he isn't that good.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (10163 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

isn't it basically already a movie? whats the point...

My freind, when Lord Of The Rings came, it was fantasy movies. Batman Begins, reboots. The Dark Knight, superhero movies. It is time for the greedy hollywood assholes to move back onto video games.

#28 Posted by 7MDMA (314 posts) -

Sign me up for this. At least there will be consecutive scenes without your having to move a character around to watch them.

#29 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

to the people asking why make this a movie when the game is "a movie already"

it's to out the story of the Last of Us on a bigger medium than videos and to get more people to experience it.

#30 Posted by uninspiredcup (10163 posts) -

@mrmusicman247 said:

it's to out the story of the Last of Us on a bigger medium than videos and to get more people to experience it.

But they have. Hundreds of thousands of times. Naughty Dog rip off movies. It's der thing.

#31 Edited by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

Will support, & watch it on day one. ND deserves it. The only game makers capable of writing a good story.

Ash shouldn't be Joel...

#32 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

right, of course

#33 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7584 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@mrmusicman247 said:

But they have. Hundreds of thousands of times. Naughty Dog rip off movies. It's der thing.

Indiana Jones nods his head in agreement.

#35 Edited by navyguy21 (13046 posts) -

Movie will be horrible if he is Joel. Doesnt even look like him.

The choice for Ellie isnt good either.

Hugh Jackman is a better choice if they want to capture the look, the drama, and the audience.

#36 Edited by Speak_Low (1171 posts) -

@mrmusicman247 said:

The joke about it being a movie doesn't even work (and isn't original or that funny) if we really analyze the amount of game time vs. cutscene time:

The Last of Us cutscenes add up to 2.5-3 hours.

The Last of Us gameplay is over 15-20+ hours (depending if you're a rusher or a completionist)

GTA V and Watch Dogs have a staggering 4-5 hours of cutscenes. Skyward Sword has over two hours (excitement!). Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham games have well over 3 hours sometimes. True - these are longer games, but people are acting like TLOU is nothing but sitting down and watching a movie the entire way through.

TLOU keeps getting called "the video game that isn't a game but a movie" because the character models are, for one, noticeably more advanced compared to the competition of synthespians (and why the TLOU animation and mocap technology won awards last year). There's a lot more life in the eyes than previous attempts and every twitch and snarl of Joel is faithfully captured. It's some of the best we've seen yet. At least it looks way better than those plastic mannequins we get in every other game (even recently like AC4).

Second of all - yeah it does get serious and dramatic in parts. I don't understand why it's a bad thing to attempt drama in video games. Well-done pathos isn't something that should remain only with books and film/TV. People are resistant to this idea of more emotionality in gaming because most attempts have been laughable. And more emotional investment in a game's world can give the action/gameplay way more urgency and purpose. How many games have we played where 10,000 things are happening and exploding (enough action for two or three games combined) and we're still bored? Because the characters and story are poorly sketched out and not compelling at all, and so the predicament the protagonists face feels like a waste of time...another brainless exercise in pressing buttons to go to the Exit point.

#38 Posted by Heil68 (46200 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

False. Bruce is not yet confirmed as Joel (nor does it seem he will play Joel at all). Nor is Maisie as Ellie for that matter, they are still in talks with both artists.

Well this thread can be closed.

#39 Edited by CanYouDiglt (7584 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@CanYouDiglt said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Indiana Jones nods his head in agreement.

Dat lem/hermit salty tag team duo.

#41 Edited by CanYouDiglt (7584 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@CanYouDiglt: Can you even SW bro?

fits this comment also.

#42 Posted by Gue1 (10750 posts) -

@speak_low:

they are just trolling dawg. They are butthurt that the best game of the last generation was a Sony exclusive.

#44 Edited by CanYouDiglt (7584 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@CanYouDiglt: As I thought bro. You can't even SW. Smh.

I'm not your bro pal.

#45 Posted by big_mak523 (178 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

But Last Of Us was already a clone of a movie.

Even the ending is a copy paste. Naughty Dog can't do original sadly, they should all be fired.

What a good book. Seriously. The movie wasn't bad either.

#46 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3715 posts) -

You do this on purpose or what?

#48 Edited by Snugenz (12367 posts) -

@Telekill said:

Bruce Campbell as Joel doesn't mesh well. I hope he isn't picked.

Indeed, i like the guy in movies, but he's not a great fit for Joel.

@ladyblue said:

Will support, & watch it on day one. ND deserves it. The only game makers capable of writing a good story.

Ash shouldn't be Joel...

Sarcasm?

#49 Posted by PonchoTaco (2318 posts) -

I kinda think Gerard Butler would be cool for Joel.

Makes me happy they didn't pick Ellen Page.

#50 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11981 posts) -

Arya as Ellie...I guess it works?