Sacred 3... another victim of consoles

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

While series was never stellar to being with, it had it's charms. According the the Rock, Paper Scissor man (who has the single greatest gaming quote of all time) all sense of any depth such or loot or progression has been removed with a clunky, control pad centric design. Apparently it's bad, really bad.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/01/sacred-3-review/#more-224211

Saying that your game is shit, while your game is being shit, does not make your game any less shit. In fact, it makes your game fourteen times more shit. We have graphs to prove it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

So it has nothing to do with the controls as it does with the devs choice of removing depth for something more shallow... where do consoles come into this?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Coke or Pepsi?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup  Online

@TheEroica said:

So it has nothing to do with the controls as it does with the devs choice of removing depth for something more shallow... where do consoles come into this?

My friend, developers and publishers (and indeed gaming critics) have all commented on the streamlining of games for consoles. If like me (I read the article three times) you read the article ( 3 times) it specifically states the control scheme has been changed from traditional, intuitive diablo style controls to a strangely awkward AWSD control scheme.

While we can both agree it doesn't outright say it's consoles, I'm sure we can agree it 99.99.1% implies it.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

It's another victim of new dev team. Team who made S1 and S2 wasn't behind S3.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

@Icarian said:

It's another victim of new dev team. Team who made S1 and S2 wasn't behind S3.

And there's your answer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

According to my internet, they made What's Cooking with Jamie Oliver.

So yes, console developers.

• Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery (2007, Nintendo DS)
  • Dance Dance Revolution - Disney Channel Edition (2008, Playstation 2, veröffentlicht nur in Nordamerika)
  • Geheimakte Tunguska (2008, Nintendo Wii)
  • What's Cooking with Jamie Oliver (2008, Nintendo DS)
  • Geheimakte 2: Puritas Cordis (2009, Nintendo DS & Wii)
  • Anno - Erschaffe eine neue Welt (2009, Nintendo DS & Wii)
  • Virtual Villagers (2009, Nintendo DS)
  • G-Force - Agenten mit Biss (2009, Nintendo DS & PlayStation Portable)
  • TNT Racers (2010, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Playstation Portable)
  • Sacred 3 (in Entwicklung, Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

TC enjoyed Resident Evil 5. Fun fact.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I don't like Jamie Oliver. Rick Stein is better.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: possibly, sure... but it sounds to me after reading the article the devs dropped the ball on this game in almost every aspect...starting with and most prevalent being game design... they made a choice to turn the franchise into something other than what it's prequels were. The franchise isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, so maybe it was possibly handed down from above to make the game more generally approachable in a last ditch effort to gain some commercial success/acceptance etc.

I still don't see how the blame is on consoles... clearly the game isn't universally embraced by pc owners and the devs rolled the dice to create another sequel where it could be attractive to a larger pool of gamers and the game design does something different.... they failed.

I don't think it's fair that we hold up a franchise no one cares about and use it as an example of being ruined by the existence of "consoles" when it could possibly be hail Mary time because of lack of universal interest.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

The game has a shot at being decent if console were in mind.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

What is cooking with Oliver?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

While series was never stellar to being with, it had it's charms. According the the Rock, Paper Scissor man (who has the single greatest gaming quote of all time) all sense of any depth such or loot or progression has been removed with a clunky, control pad centric design. Apparently it's bad, really bad.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/01/sacred-3-review/#more-224211

Saying that your game is shit, while your game is being shit, does not make your game any less shit. In fact, it makes your game fourteen times more shit. We have graphs to prove it.

Well that sucks. I actually liked the 2nd game that was on the XBox 360/PS3 was decent. I never finished the game, but it seemed pretty deep with lots to explore. That's too bad that the 3rd game is so terrible.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

My friend, developers and publishers (and indeed gaming critics) have all commented on the streamlining of games for consoles. If like me (I read the article three times) you read the article ( 3 times) it specifically states the control scheme has been changed from traditional, intuitive diablo style controls to a strangely awkward AWSD control scheme.

While we can both agree it doesn't outright say it's consoles, I'm sure we can agree it 99.99.1% implies it.

Not really. Why? Because PC are able to use console controllers as well. It should be pretty easy for developers to add both a controller or point and click style control option for the PC game. The only ones to blame for this mess are the lazy developers. It seems they just took the easy out and lost all passion for the game 1/2 way through the development. Stop trying to blame game consoles for every poor multiplat game that's on the PC. There are exclusive PC games that aren't on game consoles that are just as bad as this game or worse. You going to blame game consoles for those games too? Give it a rest.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It does seem very consolized. This doesn't have to mean something bad (sometimes it gives us things like Rainbow Six: Vegas, different, but still great), but not in this case unfortunatelly.

Shame, because this will likely kill the IP. It always survived on it's hardcore PC fanbase. Now, in a misguided attempt to capture console fanbase they threw their PC audience in front of the bus and the end result isn't actually good enough to interest the console gamers they were aiming for.

Shame..Sacred 2 got pretty decent port on consoles, but I guess they wanted more sales than what it achieved

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator

@speedfreak48t5p: I absolutely loved RE5... the coop was mad fun. :-[

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

end of the day its the devs decision and not cause of consoles. They could keep what they had before.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Same happened to Diablo 3, Consoles ruin everything

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Except sacred 2 was on consoles and that was a good game.

The right thing to say would be another victim of casualization.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS said:

That actually had nothing to do w/ consoles. RoS didn't even help fix things but 2.1 looks like it might be a step in the right direction for a change.

But there are examples of where consoles did really mess stuff up: Deus Ex:IW. I can't find it, but a very very old interview Warren Specter pretty much literally says they stream-lined stuff for xbox.

And while its not exactly the console's fault, rather the developer catering for consoles to make more $$$. But that doesn't always work well, as the stream-lined or dumbed down games can be badly received and actually kill the company (Crytek, Remedy, Rare, IonStorm). You can see as soon as Crytek ventured into console territory the game took a massive quality hit at rating sites after reach new console venture up until Ryse scoring a 4.0 and being a huge bomb.

The same thing happened to Sacred 3, but it isn't exactly because of "consoles", rather greedy developers who don't see that their move might kill the company rather than make "Teh CoD money".

I remember back in the day here at SW we used to call such a game "Consol'd" or "xbox'd" when a game was ruined because of devs putting in more limited console designs.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

end of the day its the devs decision and not cause of consoles. They could keep what they had before.

More like it was publisher's decision. THey decided to try to cater to consoles.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Never cared for the series, but it's always sad to see yet another series fall victim to consolitis. Someone needs to create a vaccination

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

My condolences.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Bull Sh!t !

Theres no such thing as depth in loot and Progression....

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

Skyrim being a classic example, although i love the game to bits it was heavily stripped down compared to Oblivion and even more So compared to morrowind.

We KNOW that Skyrim was made with the 360 in mind.

I found the lack of weapon and armor degradation and only 3 main stats quite disturbing.....

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
@AdrianWerner said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

More like it was publisher's decision. THey decided to try to cater to consoles.

Agreed, it amazes me how everyone Blames developers all the time, they actually don't have that much say over there own product in the end, it's the Publishers that make most of the decisions.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

PC gamer been a idiot again I see, this is the result of giving a game to a new studio with a roller coaster games history.

You should really ask yourself why did Ascaron sacred 2 devoloper shut down due too sacred 2 and new licence owners feeling the need to target consoles rather than PC.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Doesn't look like Sacred 2 at all seems like it is more of a Gauntlet type game now, which not necessarily bad but just completely different. Could be because of console versions in mind but not necessarily......I mean take the new upcoming Gauntlet game, afaik it is only coming out on PC now and is also action based mostly , perhaps they are just going after that market segment now. More complexe games like Diablo 3 are very hard to maintain and code for and as we saw with Sacred 2 it launched with so many bugs, they maybe did not want to go that route now for various reasons. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one it could still be good, that reviewer was clearly ticked off by the game I will reserve judgement myself.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I really enjoyed sacred 1, I never played much of 2 but it's sad to see the series just shit on like this.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Sacred 2 was on consoles, apparently people liked it on PC too, these short comings have little to do with it. Just shit devs, not even the same devs.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

OK, so despite Sacred 2 also being on consoles, and the fact that it has never ever been a good series, stellar post. Really can't fault it except for those two points which pretty much render your OP totally useless.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@SaltyMeatballs said:

Sacred 2 was on consoles, apparently people liked it on PC too, these short comings have little to do with it. Just shit devs, not even the same devs.

Think I have to agree with this here. Had the same dev team been involved this game wouldn't be as bad as it is. Might actually be as good or near 2. I was looking forward to 3, but now I want to forget it. I hope it bombs and it teaches them a lesson.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Fvck no, don't be a PC shill. sacred 2 or similar games like Dungeon Siege have previously been successfully ported to PC.

Ripsaw1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 Ripsaw1994
Member since 2013 • 196 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Loss of depth is a major symptom of being a console game

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheEroica  Moderator

@ripsaw1994: guess the hermits should've supported the franchise better than they did the first two times around... eh?

seems to me more like the product of a different developer not fully grasping the elements of the first two games that made it fun and possibly streamlining it for a different demographic.

Again I say, if pc gamers gave a shit about the sacred franchise we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

The bald fat British man who is 29 but looks 44 made a very good point on his youtube thing which he listens to the sound of his own voice... when you have games like Torchlight 2 for about 1/5 the price, very difficult to justify fully priced inferior games.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

I'm a but late but....lol oh man I just tried this game, its not even the same genre as Sacred 1 and 2....they completely derped it. It's like for 8 year olds.

I hate to agree with Uninspired cup but holy **** is this terrible.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

"Sacred 3 another victim of horrible devs" would be a better and more accurate title, also fyi Ascaron were the devs for 1 and 2, they had no part in Sacred 3.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Coke or Pepsi?

coke...but I haven't had soft drinks in a long time. I like iced tea.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

99.99.1%

I refute that percentage

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

The bald fat British man who is 29 but looks 44 made a very good point on his youtube thing which he listens to the sound of his own voice... when you have games like Torchlight 2 for about 1/5 the price, very difficult to justify fully priced inferior games.

Wow, you're sad.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@clone01 said:

@Blabadon said:

Coke or Pepsi?

coke...but I haven't had soft drinks in a long time. I like iced tea.

It's so hard to find a good glass of ice tea, wish more places actually put effort into their tea.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RoboCopISJesus

I can't believe this is $50 lol, POE is free and 1000x better and NOT because its just "free" as Cranler would tell you.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Diablo 3s crappyness had nothing to do with consoles try again.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RoboCopISJesus

@Shielder7 said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Diablo 3s crappyness had nothing to do with consoles try again.

D3 isn't too terrible. AA (80-89%) rating about everywhere. 2.1 should be nice.