S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vs. FAR CRY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3180 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vs. FAR CRY (46 votes)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 76%
Far Cry 24%

Killzone vs. Halo – Winner Halo( 27% vs 71%)

Battlefield vs Medal of Honor – Winner Battlefield (91% vs 9%)

MAG vs Resistance – Winner Resistance (44% vs 56%)

Counter-Strike vs Call of Duty – Winnter Counter-Strike (70% vs 30%)

Better games?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

FAR CRY

#1 Posted by lostrib (42979 posts) -

Never could get into STALKER, but I greatly disliked how Far Cry 2 ended up

#2 Posted by GhoX (5304 posts) -

STALKER is a survival scavenging shooter.

Far Cry is a theme park.

#4 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (10097 posts) -

Cheeky breeky!

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (12913 posts) -

Stalker is a game that feels like it doesn't give a fuck if you are in it. I gives hope to the first person genre. Far Cry 3 feels like a racist pro-white-pro-America fair ride trying way too hard to be a movie.

#6 Posted by glez13 (9027 posts) -

I suppose that by Far Cry you are talking about 2 and 3 because the original hardly has anything to do gameplay wise with either 2 & 3 or STALKER.

By comparing SoC and CoP vs. FC3, which are the ones I care about, I end up with a hard, theme and atmosphere vs. stuff to do. I'm gonna go with STALKER just because I have played the games more, but it could easily change the next time I'm asked.

#7 Posted by pelvist (5248 posts) -

Enjoyed FC1 at the time, hated FC2, and quite enjoyed FC3. However, I loved every S.T.A.L.K.E.R game.

#8 Posted by _Matt_ (9446 posts) -

Far Cry. I couldn't really get enough into the Stalker games; but I enjoyed all 3 main FC games.

#9 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17600 posts) -

I have STALKER CoP and Far Cry 3. I'm having much more fun with Far Cry 3. I finished the campaign. But, I don't care much for it. My fun is in the Reset Outpost mode.

I have the first Far Cry. But, it's been retired to pasture. Far Cry 2 I don't care about. Some simple mods are starting to make their way to Far Cry 3 such as disabling the minimap. Makes Far Cry 3 even more immersing. Ubisoft already disabled it when taking screenshots. I wonder why they didn't add it on the last patch that allowed the other training wheels to be turned off?

#11 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17600 posts) -

I also like the air, land, and sea component of Far Cry 3. Sometimes, I just explore the place. No firefights. No killing. But, it never gets old running those mercs over. :D

#12 Posted by mems_1224 (48603 posts) -

far cry 3 alone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all the stalker games combined.

#13 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Far Cry. I couldn't really get enough into the Stalker games; but I enjoyed all 3 main FC games.

I couldn't get into STALKER the first time I tried it.

It's requires a different mindset to enjoy. I'd definitely try it out again if you ever find yourself really, really bored some weekend.

#14 Posted by Zensword (3885 posts) -

Loved FC2, liked FC3. As for STALKER, I have never played them, but I've watched a lot of youtube walkthrough vids. I'd definitely want to play it if I have a gaming PC.

#15 Posted by jg4xchamp (50612 posts) -

Shadow of Chernobyl by the countriest of country miles.

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

I liked Far Cry 1&3 more than STALKER. Far Cry 2 was just horrible though, one of the worst FPS of last gen.

#18 Posted by uninspiredcup (12913 posts) -

Please stop saying Far Cry is better than stalker, it's hurting gaming..

#19 Posted by highking_kallor (594 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

You could view it a racist I suppose. If you have underlining issues that is.

#21 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17600 posts) -

Why do I get the feeling this is more like a veiled PC vs console thread?

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Far Cry 2 was just horrible though, one of the worst FPS of last gen.

its better than FC3

Far Cry 3 is everything that Far Cry 2 should've been and what they promised us FC2 would be.

Far Cry 2 is a malaria pill taking-simulator set in a setting where there is a civil war that you never see going on.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Why do I get the feeling this is more like a veiled PC vs console thread?

PC has the best versions of every Far Cry, it also has all the STALKER games and mods, so it's not really a competition now is it :p

#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

FC3 is hipster game starting most annoying protoganist ever with hi awful team finding his girlfriend in jungle capture by bad guys.

in FC3 there is see through walls, cover system, simple gunplay, press x to kill stealth etc. terrible game

i dont like FC2 but it was indeed better game. bigger world, better missions etc. ppl complain FC2 as far drive 2 but FC3 is basically same. i had a good time in FC2 than in FC3.

You are crazy. Far Cry 2 didn't have a bigger world than Far Cry 3.

Yes, they are basically the same. But in Far Cry 3 the gameplay is executed a lot better. There was a good game to be found in FC2 but unfortunately it was not executed very well, there were a lot of problems and bugs and the malaria thing was just cry worthy.

Far Cry 3s story might not be the best, but at least its not as bad as Far Cry 2s story. Can you tell me what it is about again ? There is barely any story.

#26 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17600 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Far Cry 2 was just horrible though, one of the worst FPS of last gen.

its better than FC3

Far Cry 3 is everything that Far Cry 2 should've been and what they promised us FC2 would be.

Far Cry 2 is a malaria pill taking-simulator set in a setting where there is a civil war that you never see going on.

in FC3 there is see through walls, cover system, simple gunplay, press x to kill stealth etc. terrible game

The gun play in Far Cry 3 seems about on par with most FPS games. Just because you can't hit the side of a barn with the lousy guns in STALKER doesn't make it better. I can aim pretty good in the real world. The guns in STALKER certainly doesn't make a good representation.

As for cover system, the KZ games have a real cover system. Far Cry 3 doesn't have anything close. I certainly do not see it when I play the game.

The Press X to kill is optional. You don't have to use it. I just rush the guy (without couching) and slash away.

If the weapon tagging/see-through walls bug you, then turn it off. Heck. I used a Hex Editor to turn the UI totally off. Love it.

#27 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

far cry 2 is more fun than far cry 3.

its better game overall imo in every way.

Far cry 3's cover system alone makes it better than FC 2.

#28 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Far Cry 2 was just horrible though, one of the worst FPS of last gen.

its better than FC3

Far Cry 3 is everything that Far Cry 2 should've been and what they promised us FC2 would be.

Far Cry 2 is a malaria pill taking-simulator set in a setting where there is a civil war that you never see going on.

in FC3 there is see through walls, cover system, simple gunplay, press x to kill stealth etc. terrible game

As for cover system, the KZ games have a real cover system. Far Cry 3 doesn't have anything close. I certainly do not see it when I play the game.

What makes KZ's cover system so good? I think FC 3 has the best fps cover system with BF 4 in 2nd place.

#29 Edited by napo_sp (322 posts) -

STALKER series with mods were the best SP FPS ever... the atmosphere is unequaled by any other games, you can even say they were the better Fallout games than Fallout 3 series!

I'm LMAO everytime consolites arguing over HALO vs Killzone, compared to STALKER, those console shooters are just huge jokes.

#30 Edited by SteXmaN (491 posts) -

stalker,one and only.

I also enjoyed every fc game.

#31 Edited by SteXmaN (491 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Far Cry 2 was just horrible though, one of the worst FPS of last gen.

its better than FC3

Far Cry 3 is everything that Far Cry 2 should've been and what they promised us FC2 would be.

Far Cry 2 is a malaria pill taking-simulator set in a setting where there is a civil war that you never see going on.

in FC3 there is see through walls, cover system, simple gunplay, press x to kill stealth etc. terrible game

As for cover system, the KZ games have a real cover system. Far Cry 3 doesn't have anything close. I certainly do not see it when I play the game.

What makes KZ's cover system so good? I think FC 3 has the best fps cover system with BF 4 in 2nd place.

I agree,the best FPS cover system out there.

#32 Posted by blangenakker (2611 posts) -

Stalker because it has that post-apocalyptic feeling that I like. Also I love the lighting :3

#33 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -

I didn't really like either series, so I'm not even going to vote. Stalker was too linear, and Far Cry is only pretty to look at...

#34 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17600 posts) -

@Cranler said:

What makes KZ's cover system so good? I think FC 3 has the best fps cover system with BF 4 in 2nd place.

Nothing. I hate it. I hate cover systems in an FPS game.

I'm trying to see what cover system Far Cry 3 has because it doesn't seem to have one to me. When the cover system in KZ2 and KZ3 (and Uncharted games as well) engages, you know it because your movement options changes. I see nothing of the sort in Far Cry 3.

If Far Cry 3 has a cover system, it's very transparent and I don't even realize it's a cover system.

#35 Posted by SteXmaN (491 posts) -

@superclocked said:

I didn't really like either series, so I'm not even going to vote. Stalker was too linear, and Far Cry is only pretty to look at...

xD cmon man, wtf XD

#36 Edited by SteXmaN (491 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@Cranler said:

What makes KZ's cover system so good? I think FC 3 has the best fps cover system with BF 4 in 2nd place.

Nothing. I hate it. I hate cover systems in an FPS game.

I'm trying to see what cover system Far Cry 3 has because it doesn't seem to have one to me. When the cover system in KZ2 and KZ3 (and Uncharted games as well) engages, you know it because your movement options changes. I see nothing of the sort in Far Cry 3.

If Far Cry 3 has a cover system, it's very transparent and I don't even realize it's a cover system.

Because it is very intuitive,it is similar to the Call of Juarez Bound in Blood just more polished and more responsive.It is not forced,you can finish the game without it and it just feels natural.I think every modern FPS should and needs to have this system

I'm too lazy to type how it works so just watch the video,i really don't why you don't like it :)

Loading Video...

#37 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17600 posts) -

@SteXmaN: Okay. So, the Far Cry 3's cover system is transparent and doesn't lock you into it like with the KZ games. Nice. That's probably why I didn't notice it.

#38 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -

@SteXmaN: I've only played the first, and only after playing Fallout 3. It was very, very linear compared to Fallout 3...

#39 Posted by SteXmaN (491 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: Yep :)

@superclocked: Well,the map was divided with areas that had loading screen when you traverse between them but they were still pretty big and in other two games they are even bigger. You should really try out other two STALKER games,one of the best FPS series ever made and there are tons of mods to improve the experience.

#40 Posted by WallofTruth (2139 posts) -

That's a hard one, I love both series and I also prefer FC2 over FC3 for some reason.

I'll go with S.T.A.L.K.E.R though, it has probably the best atmosphere in any game ever made, that alone makes it a winner for me.

#41 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3180 posts) -

FC2 > FC3

STALKER > ALL FC GAMES

#42 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10097 posts) -

I think Syndicate had good cover system because animations are changing contextually and fluidly when you are behind something. However the game itself discouraged you from using it somewhat, since it was all about putting together long kill combos.

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SteXmaN: Okay. So, the Far Cry 3's cover system is transparent and doesn't lock you into it like with the KZ games. Nice. That's probably why I didn't notice it.

Its basically the same as lean left and lean right that was in a lot of PC FPS after COD 1 did it.

But I don't think console FPS ever had that fuction because the controller lacks buttons. It was even scratched in latter COD games because of their focus on the console versions.

I really like a cover system that doesn't make you snap to cover, like Far Cry 3 does for FPS and TLOU does for TPS. Making you snap to cover just limits your movement and I want to see more like Far Cry 3 and TLOU.

#44 Posted by groowagon (3030 posts) -

Stalker any day. one of the best atmospheres i've ever experienced in a game, topped with great gameplay, atleast on paper. too bad it fell short on the technical side. it had so much more potential to be even greater game that it was.

#45 Posted by adamosmaki (9842 posts) -

Stalker easily though i did like far cry 3 alot . Far Cry 2 though imo was awfull. Boring and repetitive

#46 Posted by Neonakaa (89 posts) -

Stalker is awesome. FC3 I was left dissapointed.