Ryse: Son of Rome getting Rave reviews from Amazon Customers

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GaTech_Halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 GaTech_Halo
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

@padaporra said:

The game has a great story, unparalleled graphics and a simple gameplay. But in the end it is fun to play, even if it is a game you won't be playing two or three times. Reviewrs are generally just lost. Each game is judged with a different set of criteria. What can be the main cause of a game scoring a low score might be utterly ignored in another.

And as far as nextgen is concerned, I'd bet a toe that more people are happy with Ryse than with any other launch title.

I'm not commenting on Ryse, but this that second to last sentence is very true. Very very true. Should be pointed out.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#52 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@GravityX said:

E3 really tainted the game. But I agree, a 4 should be reserved for broken games. Knack and Ryse deserve better.

Not even Gameinformer would score as low as 4 and the said dialing a phone number was more fun.

The reviewers for Knack and Ryse should be talked to and written up for such horrible reviews and doung a deservice to gamers.

Agreed.

Actually, I think they were both reviewed by McShea, hence why they got such low scores. I think if either were reviewed by anyone else, they would have maybe got 6 each?

But then there's a lot of successful games with dire game breaking bugs that can be fixed with patches so giving a broken game a 4 would have to be revised latter on... while i agree completely games shouldn't be shipped broken in the first place it's something we're gonna have to get used to sinse every game is starting to ship broken.. even Nintendo one's are just because they can use a Patch to fix it.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Most look like troll reviews, I watched the first 10 minuteness of Ryse, and that all I needed to see, it looks repetitive as ****.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

The game started out a little slow to be honest but that last few hours i put into it have been great and i couldn't put down the controller. Plus i was trying the whole "xbox record that" use on some really pretty scenes overlooking forests and rivers on the aqueduct and on the tower defending later on. Oh and when you walk into the Colosseum. Did i say the game is gorgeous yet?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

and the lem meltdown continues. Only lems will make a thread based on Amazon user reviews.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

The average review on XBL looks to be 4.5 stars too btw with 2233 reviews

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

lol desperate lemmings hit a new low

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

By the time I get an Xbone, if ever, Ryse will probably be less than $10. I might give it a chance, but only because some of my favourite games on the PS2 and xbox got god-awful reviews.

<3 Crimson Sea

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

If I wasted $60 on a game, I'd lie and pretend is was great too.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#61  Edited By cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@GravityX said:

E3 really tainted the game. But I agree, a 4 should be reserved for broken games. Knack and Ryse deserve better.

Not even Gameinformer would score as low as 4 and the said dialing a phone number was more fun.

The reviewers for Knack and Ryse should be talked to and written up for such horrible reviews and doing a disservice. to gamers.

Why? I think broken games should be given 1-2. Why should half the scale be for games that are just godawful?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

Obviously a case of seeing a game thru launch glasses. Game is clearly thrown together and fanboys will praise it so they feel better.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

from now on, Amazon User reviews are now the new SW official rating system.

Amazon User Reviews now decides whether a game flops or not.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

maybe it's underrated it could have easily scored a 5 or 6

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

@slader236 said:

You can see the Amazon reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Ryse-Son-Rome-Day-Edition-Xbox/product-reviews/B00CMQTU74/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Some go even so far as saying this being the best game they've ever played and calling it a masterpiece, not only because of the unreal movielike graphics. People can't believe how this game scored so badly from pro reviewers. I guess Kotaku giving the game a YES doesn't sound so wrong anymore;)

I don't know what went wrong with the reviews of this game. Was it Sony's great PR? Reviewers that don't like fighting games? Were these guys simply rushing through the game so as to get over with it? Are they afraid of being called dumb if they would give a great score to this game, because every other review has a low score?

Gamespot giving the game a 4, this is just wrong. Even if you don't like the gameplay mechanics and perceived repetitiveness of it. Games like Call of Duty and even better scored games can be perceived as repetitive. Isn't Call of Duty shooting one dude after another? In Ryse you simply slash and stab one dude after another, but boy with what style.

The game has extreme production values, with great sound and voice acting, and the graphics and animations are second to none. The fighting mechanics are also closer to reality than let's say God of War. Why are some reviewers even comparing the game to GoW, apart from the Roman setting that is similar to GoW's setting of old Greece they share almost nothing in common. Are reviewers scoring it that low because they think if a game has swords it has to play like GoW? Has a game like GoW that sugar coats it's gameplay with endless combos that are so distanced from reality really better gameplay than Ryse which relies on precise timing with a limited set of reality grounded attacks?

I call bias on Gamespot's review of Ryse. They give scores of 5 or 6 to games that are a bug-ridden mess with horrible gameplay, and yet when a game like Ryse tries to introduce a new gameplay style to gamers and excels in some categories they punish it with a 4. In the meantime, games like Call of Duty, Killzone: Shadow Fall and God of War that rehash the same old gameplay get scores of 7, 8 or even 9.

Trolls that haven't played Ryse and only think that they know everything about the game from reviews need not apply;)

LOL to bias on gamespot for Ryse. I guess the same thing can be said of their review on Forza, seems like they gave it a 9 based mostly on the graphics. The game ships incomplete, has no weather effects and has less content (cars, tracks) than previous forza games. Isnt the Metacritic score like in the low 80's? lol

whatsazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 whatsazerg
Member since 2009 • 1151 Posts

WAIT?!?!?! so people who just dropped at least $620 to play Ryse, were quick to come to it's defense? NO WAI! I don't believe it, I can't imagine any reason they'd do this. It certainly wouldn't be to try and justify dropping $600+ on a 720p Handsfree TV Remote.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

@whatsazerg said:

WAIT?!?!?! so people who just dropped at least $620 to play Ryse, were quick to come to it's defense? NO WAI! I don't believe it, I can't imagine any reason they'd do this. It certainly wouldn't be to try and justify dropping $600+ on a 720p Handsfree TV Remote.

I see so thats why Borezone shadow flop is 4 stars.

AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

People praise anything

@groowagon said:

dumbasses calling Ryse masterpiece are ruining game industry. people who are willing to pay full price from shit are sending wrong message to publishers. they will just make more shit games.

i think people just have hard time admitting they wasted $60 to a crappy game and they are praising it for nothing.

That's one aspect of it yes.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I had pre-ordered BF4, DR3, KI and Ryse for day one pickup. Because of the reviews I decided to leave Ryse sitting on the shelf when I went to get my system and games. I had really debated whether I should give it a shot or not, well the next day I went back and picked it up, and you know what I'm glad I did. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game and I have to say, i'm liking it. Yeah it's not the deepest game ever, but then again I can name more than 100 good games that the same could be said about. I guess it's all about what you're looking for when you pick it up.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

@slader236: Agreed. I was one of the many that thought ryse had dogshit footage...but once you actually play it. it is epic. the graphics are the best I've seen in any game thus far. And the campaign time is variable. its well over 6 hours. I haven't finished it yet. only an idiot hates ryse. I look forward to a sequel. :)

Avatar image for Silent-Assasin7
Silent-Assasin7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Silent-Assasin7
Member since 2006 • 1496 Posts

It's definitely not a fantastic game, but it's nowhere near a 4/10 game either. It's a 7/10 game for me, the setting and characters are absolutely incredible. With some polish and more depth to the gameplay, the next entry in the series, should there be one, has a real opportunity to be excellent.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

@Silent-Assasin7:

I agree. Not sure why it was knocked so far down. It's technically sound so other than being a little in the short side and having redundant fighting I can't see the drop to 4. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@XboxStache said:

@slader236: Agreed. I was one of the many that thought ryse had dogshit footage...but once you actually play it. it is epic. the graphics are the best I've seen in any game thus far. And the campaign time is variable. its well over 6 hours. I haven't finished it yet. only an idiot hates ryse. I look forward to a sequel. :)

Ryse: Son of Knack

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Lol, user reviews...lol amazon user reviews...lolololol Ryse.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

Yeah, a 4 seems pretty bad. I'd give it a six or seven from what I've seen. The game looks beautiful and I must say I'm a bit jealous of the art style and details. And the breadsticks...tell me more about the breadsticks!!!

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

Lemmings are giving Ryse 5 stars, they must be desperate for this God Of War wannabe to be successful.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

They bought the $500 consoles, many of them feel the need to defense their purchase by rating X1 games highly, just like how Ps4 fanboys defending Knack (lol). They can't even justify it properly.

Quote 1 "review": ") Whew! After some negative reviews I was a little worried about my Ryse pre-order but I'm here to say that this game is truly a great game! Everyone already knows that the graphics for Ryse are the absolute best out there right now. The story is compelling and the gameplay is fun. I have been playing all day and haven't felt like putting down the controller yet (except to take a quick break for dinner and to write this quick review). The game is deep and offers a lot of replay valueand that is before even mentioning the online gladiator mode! Do yourself a favor and pick up Ryse. You won't regret it."

It's obvious that this dude has a very low standard, lol; and did I mention he sounds like a sale men?

Avatar image for enviouseyezonme
EnviousEyezOnMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By EnviousEyezOnMe
Member since 2013 • 272 Posts

Good...Good...Good. Keep talking...Keep selling...We need a sequel.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#82 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

If we've learned anything from this new gen, it's that there's no extent fanboys won't go to, to discredit a rival console...or credit their favored console.

People have indeed been caught red handed for falsely giving 1 star to the ps4 on amazon despite not owning the console. Why do you think said people would not give their exclusives rave reviews? Frankly, it's a lot easier to rave about something you own than diss something you don't own. Many have been guilty of the latter. The former will be peanuts by comparison.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#83  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

This is why, non verified reviews shouldn't effect the ratting. They should just let you write a review if you like and that's it

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

Amazon reviewers also love Lair. How ironic.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#85 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I cant wait to play Ryse I love these type of games and I'm still surprised gamespot gave such a low score .

Thunder7151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86 Thunder7151
Member since 2013 • 456 Posts

@slader236 said:

You can see the Amazon reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Ryse-Son-Rome-Day-Edition-Xbox/product-reviews/B00CMQTU74/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Some go even so far as saying this being the best game they've ever played and calling it a masterpiece, not only because of the unreal movielike graphics. People can't believe how this game scored so badly from pro reviewers. I guess Kotaku giving the game a YES doesn't sound so wrong anymore;)

I don't know what went wrong with the reviews of this game. Was it Sony's great PR? Reviewers that don't like fighting games? Were these guys simply rushing through the game so as to get over with it? Are they afraid of being called dumb if they would give a great score to this game, because every other review has a low score?

Gamespot giving the game a 4, this is just wrong. Even if you don't like the gameplay mechanics and perceived repetitiveness of it. Games like Call of Duty and even better scored games can be perceived as repetitive. Isn't Call of Duty shooting one dude after another? In Ryse you simply slash and stab one dude after another, but boy with what style.

The game has extreme production values, with great sound and voice acting, and the graphics and animations are second to none. The fighting mechanics are also closer to reality than let's say God of War. Why are some reviewers even comparing the game to GoW, apart from the Roman setting that is similar to GoW's setting of old Greece they share almost nothing in common. Are reviewers scoring it that low because they think if a game has swords it has to play like GoW? Has a game like GoW that sugar coats it's gameplay with endless combos that are so distanced from reality really better gameplay than Ryse which relies on precise timing with a limited set of reality grounded attacks?

I call bias on Gamespot's review of Ryse. They give scores of 5 or 6 to games that are a bug-ridden mess with horrible gameplay, and yet when a game like Ryse tries to introduce a new gameplay style to gamers and excels in some categories they punish it with a 4. In the meantime, games like Call of Duty, Killzone: Shadow Fall and God of War that rehash the same old gameplay get scores of 7, 8 or even 9.

Trolls that haven't played Ryse and only think that they know everything about the game from reviews need not apply;)

Yes, Ryse is a great game!!

The bad reviews for Ryse are because of one reason and one reason only, and that reason is:

slader236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By slader236
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts

@Netherscourge said:

Well, you can always see it from a different angle. What if people really like the game and don't want others to miss out on it because the reviewers were simply in a rush and scored it badly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@slader236 said:

@Netherscourge said:

Well, you can always see it from a different angle. What if people really like the game and don't want others to miss out on it because the reviewers were simply in a rush and scored it badly.

omg what? i mean... really? suuuuuuure.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Get over Ryse already. Everyone makes bad purchases once in a while. You dont need to defend every bad purchase u make.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#91 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I have it and I am enjoying it. The only game from the PS4 and XB1 I like better right now is Killer Instinct. Now I am just hoping the rumored sequel is real.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@slader236:

Ryse is exactly what I thought it would be: a video game version of that Starz show "Spartacus". That's why I like it. I am not expecting RPG quality story, or a wide variety of game play (Romans had swords, spears, and shields... that's it).

I am having a lot of fun with it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@XboxStache is MAD. ..lolz

Ryse: Son of Knack..lol

Knack=Ryse..lol

#dealwithit

lol

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#94 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@Thunder7151 said:

Yes, Ryse is a great game!!

The bad reviews for Ryse are because of one reason and one reason only, and that reason is:

They say it's bad, you say it's good. Two groups on different sides of the fence. Pot calling the kettle black I say.

And if what you say is true, Gamespot is a cow as well, which begs the question - Why are you still here? And whatever your answer is, the fact that you choose to still be here voids you of any right to complain.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#95  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

I played it, graphics are great. Gameplay sucks.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

User reviews :dayna2:

Wutabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Wutabi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I went ahead and decided to order it off Amazon, despite reviews, I actually think I might enjoy the game...I hope...lol. It seems repetition is strong in this game, but I thought the first Assassins Creed was repetitive as well and I still enjoyed it.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I have the game and it's good.....the story is good, the graphics are really good, the environments are really good....the gameplay is a bit repetitive though and they only have a handful of enemies that get recycled which bothers me. Overall I would give it a 7/10

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

game looks hilariously bad

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@GravityX said:

The reviewers for Knack and Ryse should be talked to and written up for such horrible reviews and doung a deservice to gamers.

Agreed.

Actually, I think they were both reviewed by McShea, hence why they got such low scores. I think if either were reviewed by anyone else, they would have maybe got 6 each?

If a game is not fun to play, then it's simply not fun to play. The amount of money poured into making it look 'shiny' doesn't automatically warrant a good review.