Rust sells over 1M copies in one month *sales KING confirmed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (3853 posts) -

Source

Joining the glorious club of early access millionaires on PC:

Starbound,

DayZ,

and now Rust

How much these games will make when they are officially released ?

Gone Home sold over 250k, which is also not bad for a 2-hour indie game.

Total War Rome 2 mast have sold over 1M to this point as well since it had sold over 800k copies in one month after release.

COH2, despite of being super crappy, had sold over 380k copies in 5 days after launch.

Football Manager 2014 must have sold over 1M as well as it doesn´t leave the top 3 of the most played games on Steam, featuring 70k concurrent players for over 2 month already.

PC is the nextgen sales KING confirmed.

#2 Posted by Desmonic (10197 posts) -

Probably not that much since the bulk of the audience is getting them now. Unless of course they turn "viral" like Minecraft did and then I could see one or two of those becoming sales juggernauts. Though chances are always kinda low of that happening.

Regardless it's nice to see these devs rewarded for their honest work! :)

#3 Edited by MBirdy88 (6244 posts) -

how are these anywhere close to records? or even console games? as a hermit, I am confused by the point.

infact, its quite a negative result.

3 awfully unfinished games selling on promises of completion sometime in 2015.... paying for alphas... bwhahahahahahahaha.

gone home.... and... COH2 selling well, is what bragging right? I would mock this on consolesI will mock it on PC too.

Football Manager is a given though.... not that impressive sales wise. concurrent players is good though.

#4 Edited by clyde46 (41980 posts) -

I don't like this "early access" stuff.

#5 Edited by lundy86_4 (41612 posts) -

Huh? You're going to need to prove that those games sold more than any game within the respective timeframe, in order to not look like a bit of a tool.

#6 Posted by Motokid6 (4596 posts) -

Im tempted to try Rust... not a big minecraft guy though. The only early acces games ive bought so far are Next Car Game and Kerbal Space Program. Both were well worth the money. KSP however... my favorite video game in my 23 years of life.

Early access is good, but it comes down to the devs and how productive they are.

#7 Edited by KHAndAnime (12711 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

how are these anywhere close to records? or even console games? as a hermit, I am confused by the point.

infact, its quite a negative result.

3 awfully unfinished games selling on promises of completion sometime in 2015.... paying for alphas... bwhahahahahahahaha.

gone home.... and... COH2 selling well, is what bragging right? I would mock this on consolesI will mock it on PC too.

Football Manager is a given though.... not that impressive sales wise. concurrent players is good though.

These games will have more sales than any console game by their official launches - the point is pretty self explanatory if ur brain works

@Desmonic said:

Probably not that much since the bulk of the audience is getting them now. Unless of course they turn "viral" like Minecraft did and then I could see one or two of those becoming sales juggernauts. Though chances are always kinda low of that happening.

Regardless it's nice to see these devs rewarded for their honest work! :)

The only people getting these games now are fans. Once they're finished, the 'bulk' of the PC gaming audience will be more open it it - so I'd expect many, many more sales...

#8 Posted by gamespot4life (1214 posts) -

I feel better now that I know I'm not the only person that was burned by purchasing this crap. Tons of better games in alpha than this piece of junk. I will stick with my 7 days to die for now.

#9 Edited by MBirdy88 (6244 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:
@MBirdy88 said:

how are these anywhere close to records? or even console games? as a hermit, I am confused by the point.

infact, its quite a negative result.

3 awfully unfinished games selling on promises of completion sometime in 2015.... paying for alphas... bwhahahahahahahaha.

gone home.... and... COH2 selling well, is what bragging right? I would mock this on consolesI will mock it on PC too.

Football Manager is a given though.... not that impressive sales wise. concurrent players is good though.

These games will have more sales than any console game by their official launches - the point is pretty self explanatory if ur brain works

@Desmonic said:

Probably not that much since the bulk of the audience is getting them now. Unless of course they turn "viral" like Minecraft did and then I could see one or two of those becoming sales juggernauts. Though chances are always kinda low of that happening.

Regardless it's nice to see these devs rewarded for their honest work! :)

The only people getting these games now are fans. Once they're finished, the 'bulk' of the PC gaming audience will be more open it it - so I'd expect many, many more sales...

are you trying to tell me that those 3 games sold more than any console games in the same timeframe? if your brain works... then no.

Diablo III sold 3.5 million copies in 24 hours.

You are under some kind of delusion that "millions more will buy it before its finished" when in reality most people even remotely interested are on board.

I'm not saying they won't sell well. but wake up.... 1 life instant gank, wandering around simulator is not going to reach anywhere close to minecraft levels.

#10 Edited by jhonMalcovich (3853 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@MBirdy88 said:

how are these anywhere close to records? or even console games? as a hermit, I am confused by the point.

infact, its quite a negative result.

3 awfully unfinished games selling on promises of completion sometime in 2015.... paying for alphas... bwhahahahahahahaha.

gone home.... and... COH2 selling well, is what bragging right? I would mock this on consolesI will mock it on PC too.

Football Manager is a given though.... not that impressive sales wise. concurrent players is good though.

These games will have more sales than any console game by their official launches - the point is pretty self explanatory if ur brain works

@Desmonic said:

Probably not that much since the bulk of the audience is getting them now. Unless of course they turn "viral" like Minecraft did and then I could see one or two of those becoming sales juggernauts. Though chances are always kinda low of that happening.

Regardless it's nice to see these devs rewarded for their honest work! :)

The only people getting these games now are fans. Once they're finished, the 'bulk' of the PC gaming audience will be more open it it - so I'd expect many, many more sales...

are you trying to tell me that those 3 games sold more than any console games in the same timeframe? if your brain works... then no.

Compared to next gen consoles, yes.

#11 Posted by gameofthering (9617 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I don't like this "early access" stuff.

Yeah. I'd like to try some of the games but I'm waiting (Which feels like forever) for them to be out of early access.

#12 Posted by Desmonic (10197 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@MBirdy88 said:

how are these anywhere close to records? or even console games? as a hermit, I am confused by the point.

infact, its quite a negative result.

3 awfully unfinished games selling on promises of completion sometime in 2015.... paying for alphas... bwhahahahahahahaha.

gone home.... and... COH2 selling well, is what bragging right? I would mock this on consolesI will mock it on PC too.

Football Manager is a given though.... not that impressive sales wise. concurrent players is good though.

These games will have more sales than any console game by their official launches - the point is pretty self explanatory if ur brain works

@Desmonic said:

Probably not that much since the bulk of the audience is getting them now. Unless of course they turn "viral" like Minecraft did and then I could see one or two of those becoming sales juggernauts. Though chances are always kinda low of that happening.

Regardless it's nice to see these devs rewarded for their honest work! :)

The only people getting these games now are fans. Once they're finished, the 'bulk' of the PC gaming audience will be more open it it - so I'd expect many, many more sales...

are you trying to tell me that those 3 games sold more than any console games in the same timeframe? if your brain works... then no.

Compared to next gen consoles, yes.

That's putting goal posts though. It's obvious the total instal base of next gen consoles doesn't yet allow for these massive number regularly. If by "any console game" he means... any console game, I'd only need to show him GTA 5 sales to ruin that argument.

I still stand my point that these games won't garner that much more sales for the simple fact that the bulk of their audience is actually buying them now. By release date, most of the people actually interested will have purchased the game. Best case scenarios rests with DayZ simply for being so well known, and even then I only see it do 2 or 3 million more (including Steam sales promotions).

Like I previously said, unless one (or all) of these games manage to get "viral" like Minecraft did, they won't be sales juggernauts. They are at the a disadvantage in this point, since Minecraft (even the PC version) is a bit more "user friendly", as in you can easily get into it without needing to know how everything works from the start.

If time proves me wrong, welll awesome! Just means these devs got rightfully rewarded for their work! :)

#13 Edited by jhonMalcovich (3853 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@MBirdy88 said:

how are these anywhere close to records? or even console games? as a hermit, I am confused by the point.

infact, its quite a negative result.

3 awfully unfinished games selling on promises of completion sometime in 2015.... paying for alphas... bwhahahahahahahaha.

gone home.... and... COH2 selling well, is what bragging right? I would mock this on consolesI will mock it on PC too.

Football Manager is a given though.... not that impressive sales wise. concurrent players is good though.

These games will have more sales than any console game by their official launches - the point is pretty self explanatory if ur brain works

@Desmonic said:

Probably not that much since the bulk of the audience is getting them now. Unless of course they turn "viral" like Minecraft did and then I could see one or two of those becoming sales juggernauts. Though chances are always kinda low of that happening.

Regardless it's nice to see these devs rewarded for their honest work! :)

The only people getting these games now are fans. Once they're finished, the 'bulk' of the PC gaming audience will be more open it it - so I'd expect many, many more sales...

are you trying to tell me that those 3 games sold more than any console games in the same timeframe? if your brain works... then no.

Compared to next gen consoles, yes.

That's putting goal posts though. It's obvious the total instal base of next gen consoles doesn't yet allow for these massive number regularly. If by "any console game" he means... any console game, I'd only need to show him GTA 5 sales to ruin that argument.

I still stand my point that these games won't garner that much more sales for the simple fact that the bulk of their audience is actually buying them now. By release date, most of the people actually interested will have purchased the game. Best case scenarios rests with DayZ simply for being so well known, and even then I only see it do 2 or 3 million more (including Steam sales promotions).

Like I previously said, unless one (or all) of these games manage to get "viral" like Minecraft did, they won't be sales juggernauts. They are at the a disadvantage in this point, since Minecraft (even the PC version) is a bit more "user friendly", as in you can easily get into it without needing to know how everything works from the start.

If time proves me wrong, welll awesome! Just means these devs got rightfully rewarded for their work! :)

GTAV is a last gen title. A new gen, a clean slate: PC vs X1 vs PS4. So far, PC is winning in games sales.

#14 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Source

Joining the glorious club of early access millionaires on PC:

Starbound,

DayZ,

and now Rust

How much these games will make when they are officially released ?

Gone Home sold over 250k, which is also not bad for a 2-hour indie game.

Total War Rome 2 mast have sold over 1M to this point as well since it had sold over 800k copies in one month after release.

COH2, despite of being super crappy, had sold over 380k copies in 5 days after launch.

Football Manager 2014 must have sold over 1M as well as it doesn´t leave the top 3 of the most played games on Steam, featuring 70k concurrent players for over 2 month already.

PC is the nextgen sales KING confirmed.

The last of us sold 3.4 million copies in less than a month http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-09-sony-declares-the-last-of-us-a-success-with-over-3-4-million-global-sales

"These sales, which include the Blu-ray disc and download versions, were accurate as of 3rd July - three weeks after the Naughty Dog developed game launched on 14th June - and mean it's the fastest-selling PS3 title of 2013."

And GTA5 has sold over 32 million copies since its release. Lets see if every game you just mentioned combined together can sell at least that many copies over the course of an entire year.

#15 Posted by Desmonic (10197 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich: Like I said, that's just moving the goal posts since he didn't specify any gen. He just "any console game". Still, whatever makes your boat float brah :P

#16 Posted by jhonMalcovich (3853 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Source

Joining the glorious club of early access millionaires on PC:

Starbound,

DayZ,

and now Rust

How much these games will make when they are officially released ?

Gone Home sold over 250k, which is also not bad for a 2-hour indie game.

Total War Rome 2 mast have sold over 1M to this point as well since it had sold over 800k copies in one month after release.

COH2, despite of being super crappy, had sold over 380k copies in 5 days after launch.

Football Manager 2014 must have sold over 1M as well as it doesn´t leave the top 3 of the most played games on Steam, featuring 70k concurrent players for over 2 month already.

PC is the nextgen sales KING confirmed.

The last of us sold 3.4 million copies in less than a month http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-09-sony-declares-the-last-of-us-a-success-with-over-3-4-million-global-sales

"These sales, which include the Blu-ray disc and download versions, were accurate as of 3rd July - three weeks after the Naughty Dog developed game launched on 14th June - and mean it's the fastest-selling PS3 title of 2013."

And GTA5 has sold over 32 million copies since its release. Lets see if every game you just mentioned combined together can sell at least that many copies over the course of an entire year.

It' all last gen.

What part of "PC is the nextgen sales KING" you don't understand, guys.

#17 Posted by jhonMalcovich (3853 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich: Like I said, that's just moving the goal posts since he didn't specify any gen. He just "any console game". Still, whatever makes your boat float brah :P

Nop. I didn't move any posts, i had posted "PC is the nextgen sales KING" right at the start of the thread. It's not my fault that thread titles on GS have character limit now and don't fit full messages one intends to put.

#18 Edited by Desmonic (10197 posts) -
#19 Posted by Vatusus (3763 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Source

Joining the glorious club of early access millionaires on PC:

Starbound,

DayZ,

and now Rust

How much these games will make when they are officially released ?

Gone Home sold over 250k, which is also not bad for a 2-hour indie game.

Total War Rome 2 mast have sold over 1M to this point as well since it had sold over 800k copies in one month after release.

COH2, despite of being super crappy, had sold over 380k copies in 5 days after launch.

Football Manager 2014 must have sold over 1M as well as it doesn´t leave the top 3 of the most played games on Steam, featuring 70k concurrent players for over 2 month already.

PC is the nextgen sales KING confirmed.

The last of us sold 3.4 million copies in less than a month http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-09-sony-declares-the-last-of-us-a-success-with-over-3-4-million-global-sales

"These sales, which include the Blu-ray disc and download versions, were accurate as of 3rd July - three weeks after the Naughty Dog developed game launched on 14th June - and mean it's the fastest-selling PS3 title of 2013."

And GTA5 has sold over 32 million copies since its release. Lets see if every game you just mentioned combined together can sell at least that many copies over the course of an entire year.

It' all last gen.

What part of "PC is the nextgen sales KING" you don't understand, guys.

Thats idiotic. What is the current PC install base vs next gen consoles install base?

#20 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23172 posts) -

i'm not really into these games that have no real content and rely on people griefing each other as the only interesting thing going on.

it looks like a blast and all since how can you go wrong with mixing dayz and minecraft but until there is some kind of gaming type goal it will never be my cup of tea.

one day someone will begin to add quests and goals and i will be interested but making shyt then having people steal that shyt is just not enough fun for me to bother with these survival games.

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (14449 posts) -
#22 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37484 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I don't like this "early access" stuff.

Why?

#23 Edited by R4gn4r0k (14449 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I don't like this "early access" stuff.

Why?

Well for competitive games I think it gives people an unfair advantage for playing it for way longer than newcomers. I know beta/alpha access do this as well, but those are usually limited. This is basically free for all.

I don't like the fact that companies release broken, sometimes unplayable games stripped of much content, and charge full price for it. When EA does it they are the scum of the earth, but indies are excused from this when they use the term 'early access'

Lots of companies are just riding on the success of what minecraft did.

It's a shame that so many people choose to spend their money on incomplete, broken products more so than on complete games. But of course it's their money, so they are free to do as they want.

I do however totally get the feeling people have that a game looks SO good, you want to play it before release. The sooner the better. But there is a reason games have release dates: they need time for content and bug fixes. I personally don't see me ever buying into early access. And I think steam is flooded with it at the moment.

Hell, I don't even buy games like Broken Age or The Walking Dead before all episodes are released :P

#24 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37484 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Well for competitive games I think it gives people an unfair advantage for playing it for way longer than newcomers. I know beta/alpha access do this as well, but those are usually limited. This is basically free for all.

I don't like the fact that companies release broken, sometimes unplayable games stripped of much content, and charge full price for it. When EA does it they are the scum of the earth, but indies are excused from this when they use the term 'early access'

Lots of companies are just riding on the success of what minecraft did.

It's a shame that so many people choose to spend their money on incomplete, broken products more so than on complete games. But of course it's their money, so they are free to do as they want.

I do however totally get the feeling people have that a game looks SO good, you want to play it before release. The sooner the better. But there is a reason games have release dates: they need time for content and bug fixes. I personally don't see me ever buying into early access. And I think steam is flooded with it at the moment.

Hell, I don't even buy games like Broken Age or The Walking Dead before all episodes are released :P

Any game has that factor because not everyone buys the games at the same time. People who buy CoD or BF4 later at a reduced price play way later than the people who bought it right at launch.

EA release full games that are supposed to be complete and out of their Alpha and Beta phases because they have huge dedicated QA teams to make sure it works and they have talented devs funded by huge sums of money to work on the games and fix them. Indie devs don't have that luxury and the Alpha access is just that, Alpha access. Where real players act as the QA team and not only help make the game play better for launch but also help fund it so it launches quicker

You make it sound as if they purposefully reduce the amount of content and then make people pay for it as some sort of shady scheme for more money. They have reduced content because the content hasn't even been bloody made yet because it's ALPHA

#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (14449 posts) -

Any game has that factor because not everyone buys the games at the same time. People who buy CoD or BF4 later at a reduced price play way later than the people who bought it right at launch.

EA release full games that are supposed to be complete and out of their Alpha and Beta phases because they have huge dedicated QA teams to make sure it works and they have talented devs funded by huge sums of money to work on the games and fix them. Indie devs don't have that luxury and the Alpha access is just that, Alpha access. Where real players act as the QA team and not only help make the game play better for launch but also help fund it so it launches quicker

You make it sound as if they purposefully reduce the amount of content and then make people pay for it as some sort of shady scheme for more money. They have reduced content because the content hasn't even been bloody made yet because it's ALPHA

I make it sound that way because I do feel some devs release their game in an appalling state and simply get away with it because they go: 'it's early access, you know it wasn't complete or bug free'. Some devs want to ride on the success on other games (minecraft, dayz) like the WarZ which also launched in a dreadful state and I do not feel they should get away with it simply because they aren't a huge company like EA, but a smaller dev.

It's strange to pay full price for a game and expect everything to work correctly and have all the content, yet pay full price for another game and get very little just because it's called 'early access'

I've read steam reviews of a game like 7 days to die, where the game barely worked and had very little to do. And the devs said: 'Well, it's early access, what did you expect'

I'm not saying early access is bad, or people don't have the right to spend their money on what they want. I'm saying early access is not all good and some devs make advantage of it.

#26 Posted by MrYaotubo (2313 posts) -

Very impressive,just on the last two months or so three games on the PC have sold over 1 million copies(DayZ,Starbound and now Rust and these are just the ones we know of),no wonder the PC market gets more and more appealing for the developers,it´s growing like crazy.

#27 Edited by Jankarcop (7974 posts) -

Source

Joining the glorious club of early access millionaires on PC:

Starbound,

DayZ,

and now Rust

How much these games will make when they are officially released ?

Gone Home sold over 250k, which is also not bad for a 2-hour indie game.

Total War Rome 2 mast have sold over 1M to this point as well since it had sold over 800k copies in one month after release.

COH2, despite of being super crappy, had sold over 380k copies in 5 days after launch.

Football Manager 2014 must have sold over 1M as well as it doesn´t leave the top 3 of the most played games on Steam, featuring 70k concurrent players for over 2 month already.

PC is the nextgen sales KING confirmed.

PC was lastgen sales KING too.

#28 Posted by lostrib (26062 posts) -

Very impressive,just on the last two months or so three games on the PC have sold over 1 million copies(DayZ,Starbound and now Rust and these are just the ones we know of),no wonder the PC market gets more and more appealing for the developers,it´s growing like crazy.

although they're not even released games. Apparently people really want open world, survival/building games

#29 Edited by Jankarcop (7974 posts) -

@Gargus said:

"These sales, which include the Blu-ray disc and download versions, were accurate as of 3rd July - three weeks after the Naughty Dog developed game launched on 14th June - and mean it's the fastest-selling PS3 title of 2013."

And GTA5 has sold over 32 million copies since its release. Lets see if every game you just mentioned combined together can sell at least that many copies over the course of an entire year.

Idiot.

#30 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6037 posts) -

Ugh this game. Someone please explain why so many find it good? (10 hours and counting still don't get it).

#31 Edited by CroidX (676 posts) -

Its good sales number for a game that doesn't have millions of dollars worth of marketing

#32 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

PC doesn't have gens. You're obviously not a true hermit.