Russia ponders violent games clampdown after Moscow shooting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sts106mat (20713 posts) -

Video games being blamed for the actions of idiots again!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/russia-ponders-violent-games-clampdown-after-moscow-shooting/0106212

Violent games could be facing a potential clampdown in Russia after authorities linked them to a recent shooting.

Last week Russian office worker Dmitry Vinogradov shot dead five former colleagues with two more admitted to hospital, one of whom was a former girlfriend of Vinogradov.

However, as is sadly too often the way authorities have also noted that Vinogradov had previously played Rockstars Manhunt.

United Russia reps have since gone on to make official media statements about the game and demand an inquiry into the sale of the title with the view to a ban. They are also looking for a Russia-wide ban on violent video games content.

Manhunt is no stranger to controversy, of course. The game was thrust into the media spotlight when it was claimed that youngster Warren Leblanc, who murdered his friend Stefan Pakeerah, was a fan of the game and took inspiration from it.

It later emerged that it was the victim Pakeerah who had played the game.

Its sequel, Manhunt 2, was nearly banned too though ELSPA (now UKIE)successfully appealedfor that decision to be overturned. mcv

I must have killed 100,000+ people and aliens in videogames over the years, yet I've never had to punch somebody in anger in real life.

TV / Movies are way more violent (even cartoons FFS), yet they never get accused of causing this sort of crap.

#2 Posted by SolidTy (46605 posts) -

Terrible news. Stupid people villianize what they don't understand, like forms of media...although violence predates many forms of modern media.

Personally, I think it's their music. (lol, j/k)

#3 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

Videogames being used as a scapegoat for the many failures of society again.

Videogames didn't drive him to do that, he was clearly nuts in the first place. Nobody clocked that in time, or if they had, would anybody have done anything about it? No, and it's easy to pass the buck to inanimate objects so nobody's head lands on the block

I heard he takes two sugars in his tea and wipes his arse in a counter-clockwise motion. Surely those two factors contributed to his decision to murder his colleagues.... No chance he was a perhaps a little mental in the first place.

#4 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
Sad...This guy is NOW playing Manhunt? =/
#5 Posted by clyde46 (47872 posts) -
This is exactly what happened with music in the 70-80's.
#6 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

More BS form the mainstream media, yep even though this has nothing to do with video games, lets just point the finger at them.Its pathtic that video games are getting blamed once again. I played Postal 2 recently, you dont see me running around pissing on people, and sledge hammering cows heads off. I bet the people who blamed video games all enjoy way more violent movies such as Saw.

#7 Posted by sts106mat (20713 posts) -

Videogames didn't drive him to do that, he was clearly nuts in the first place. Nobody clocked that in time, or if they had, would anybody have done anything about it? No, and it's easy to pass the buck to inanimate objects so nobody's head lands on the block

I heard he takes two sugars in his tea and wipes his arse in a counter-clockwise motion. Surely those two factors contributed to his decision to murder his colleagues.... No chance he was a perhaps a little mental in the first place.

balfe1990

i especially love the "authorities have noted that he played manhunt", perhaps its the police to blame for this as much as the media. Not in this case obviously, because they got the guy.

but if they are looking to build a case for a conviction against someone, him having a collection of violent video games is a llittle tick on their "nutcase check list" i guess.

just like it would be noted that a serial rapist might have a massive werird p0rn collection.

#8 Posted by clyde46 (47872 posts) -
[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

sts106mat
i especially love the "authorities have noted that he played manhunt", perhaps its the police to blame for this as much as the media. Not in this case obviously, but if they are looking to build a case for a conviction against someone, him having a collection of violent video games is a llittle tick on their "nutcase check list" i guess. just like it would be noted that a serial rapist might have a massive werird p0rn collection.

The police have to look at everything. Its the media that then takes this information and blows it out of peroration.
#9 Posted by wis3boi (32098 posts) -

putin's fault

#10 Posted by DraugenCP (8480 posts) -

It is always easier to blame video games, films, music or comics rather than acknowledging there might be deeper societal problems at play. I doubt this will ever change.

#11 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

sts106mat

i especially love the "authorities have noted that he played manhunt", perhaps its the police to blame for this as much as the media. Not in this case obviously, because they got the guy.

but if they are looking to build a case for a conviction against someone, him having a collection of violent video games is a llittle tick on their "nutcase check list" i guess.

just like it would be noted that a serial rapist might have a massive werird p0rn collection.

They just find the most tenuos, vague connections on which to pin the blame, instead of the glaringly obvious ones.

If Videogames truly contributed to violence and rampages (debatable), the streets would be piled high with corpses. It might set off some unstable people, but they're just ticking time-bombs anyway; if it wasn't video-games, it'd be some gory movie or aggressive music.

When you mix a volatile human being and any violent media (even books), you're bound to get pretty scary results. It's going to happen, considering how media is consumed these days, and the fact that it's everywhere.

Efforts should be made to prevent things liek this happening, not pointing the finger after the fact. Prevention rather than cure.

#12 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

if videogames existed back in 1939 im sure they would blame them for WW2 , not the people :D

#13 Posted by sts106mat (20713 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

balfe1990

They just find the most tenuos, vague connections on which to pin the blame, instead of the glaringly obvious ones.

If Videogames truly contributed to violence and rampages (debatable), the streets would be piled high with corpses. It might set off some unstable people, but they're just ticking time-bombs anyway; if it wasn't video-games, it'd be some gory movie or aggressive music.

When you mix a volatile human being and any violent media (even books), you're bound to get pretty scary results. It's going to happen, considering how media is consumed these days, and the fact that it's everywhere.

Efforts should be made to prevent things liek this happening, not pointing the finger after the fact. Prevention rather than cure.

absolutely agree.
#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

If he was really influenced by Manhunt he would've went with a melee weapon and not a gun, since they are only a small part of the game.

#15 Posted by Heil68 (48766 posts) -
that reminds me of this
#16 Posted by sts106mat (20713 posts) -

if videogames existed back in 1939 im sure they would blame them for WW2 , not the people :D

AmnesiaHaze
lol, you are probably right, they used to blame it rock n' roll too. Religion & the pursuit of money have been the biggest causes of strife for our world IMO, funny, neither of those look close to being banned anywhere.
#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

sts106mat

lol, you are probably right, they used to blame it rock n' roll too. Religion & the pursuit of money have been the biggest causes of strife for our world IMO, funny, neither of those look close to being banned anywhere.

And even if all of that, even religion and money, didn't exist. People would still find reasons to kill eachother.

#18 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

If he was really influenced by Manhunt he would've went with a melee weapon and not a gun, since they are only a small part of the game.

R4gn4r0k

That is actually a good point.

#19 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

R4gn4r0k

And even if all of that, even religion and money, didn't exist. People would still find reasons to kill eachother.

Dat lovely human nature yo.

#20 Posted by Sushiglutton (5713 posts) -
My guess is that vodka leads to more murder than vg in Russia :P.

putin's fault

wis3boi
Haha nice sig :lol:!
#21 Posted by Hate_Squad (1357 posts) -

one of the last badass countries in the world get wussified,damn

#22 Posted by Bigboi500 (31819 posts) -

These shooters teach people how to become cold-blooded killers. Ban the murder sims.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

balfe1990

But who is going to listen to someone who has actually played the game in a case like this?

The people jumping on this news will most likely not be gamers, yet blame games because its something unknown to them so it could be evil.

Thats what has happened every time, when a tragedy like this happened and the killer or suspect is a gamer.

#24 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

R4gn4r0k

But who is going to listen to someone who has actually played the game in a case like this?

The people jumping on this news will most likely not be gamers, yet blame games because its something unknown to them so it could be evil.

Thats what has happened every time, when a tragedy like this happened and the killer or suspect is a gamer.

Exactly, as mat said, Religion and wealth are the two largest offenders.

But they've been around since the dawn of time, and thus everyone is familiar with them and they're part of most people's day to day. For something as new as videogames, it's easy for the uneducated to say : "that thing that I don't understand obviously had a hand in this isolated murder".

You didn't hear calls for a ban on Religion after 9/11, when all the evidence points to Religion being the sole reason it happened. There's literally no debating that. Upwards of 3,000 people perished because of some ancient, arbitrary teachings. And lets not even get into the f*cking Crusades or the Troubles in the North of Ireland.

#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

Exactly, as mat said, Religion and wealth are the two largest offenders.

But they've been around since the dawn of time, and thus everyone is familiar with them and they're part of most people's day to day. For something as new as videogames, it's easy for the uneducated to say : "that thing that I don't understand obviously had a hand in this isolated murder".

You didn't hear calls for a ban on Religion after 9/11, when all the evidence points to Religion being the sole reason it happened. There's literally no debating that. Upwards of 3,000 people perished because of some ancient, arbitrary teachings. And lets not even get into the f*cking Crusades or the Troubles in the North of Ireland.

balfe1990

Yeah if we are going to go by the logic of those uneducated we might as well say society is better now then it ever was, instead of the other way around.

before games existed we had the crusades, the 100 year war, two world wars, ...

#26 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

I always think its so stupid when games get blamedfor violent acts. There are literally hundreds of millions of people who have played violent games at some point in their life, mostly having played several different titles. Why is it that when one person falls off the rocker and does some stupid sh!t that a negative connotation between games and real world violence is generalized over all those millions of people. Why don't we hear authorities ever say "Oh, he had some violent movies on the shelf by the TV and watches Dexter on weekends, this is what caused him to lash out".

There is still very much a social stigma against gamers that really needs to stop. As I'm sure many others on this board can relate to, I have played violent games for nearly 20 years, yet I have no history of ever doing any violent acts.

#27 Posted by freedomfreak (45010 posts) -
blah.. blah.. ..blah...
#28 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

People who blame video games are ignorant and probably should be... shot.

The problem is the flawed society.

#29 Posted by Gue1 (11634 posts) -

before video games existed, what caused all that violence? Things are peaceful now compared to any other time.

#30 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

before video games existed, what caused all that violence? Things are peaceful now compared to any other time.

Gue1

Religion and the pursuit of wealth, but those things don't cause violence anymore. Video games are always the culprit. 9/11 actually happened because George W. Bush used to own house in Unreal Tournament and Al Qaida got jelly.

#31 Posted by Another-World (783 posts) -
stupidity really is an epidemic.
#32 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

I like how guns are sold in supermarkets and then they wonder why crazy people go around shooting people

It is all kinds of funny, it is like supplying a military base to a lunatic house, i mean what do they expect ?

#33 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

I like how guns are sold in supermarkets and then they wonder why crazy people go around shooting people

It is all kinds of funny, it is like supplying a military base to a lunatic house, i mean what do they expect ?

loosingENDS
guns are not being sold at supermarkets in Russia :D
#34 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Video games being blamed for the actions of idiots again!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/russia-ponders-violent-games-clampdown-after-moscow-shooting/0106212

[quote="mcv"]

Violent games could be facing a potential clampdown in Russia after authorities linked them to a recent shooting.

Last week Russian office worker Dmitry Vinogradov shot dead five former colleagues with two more admitted to hospital, one of whom was a former girlfriend of Vinogradov.

However, as is sadly too often the way authorities have also noted that Vinogradov had previously played Rockstars Manhunt.

United Russia reps have since gone on to make official media statements about the game and demand an inquiry into the sale of the title with the view to a ban. They are also looking for a Russia-wide ban on violent video games content.

Manhunt is no stranger to controversy, of course. The game was thrust into the media spotlight when it was claimed that youngster Warren Leblanc, who murdered his friend Stefan Pakeerah, was a fan of the game and took inspiration from it.

It later emerged that it was the victim Pakeerah who had played the game.

Its sequel, Manhunt 2, was nearly banned too though ELSPA (now UKIE)successfully appealedfor that decision to be overturned. sts106mat

I must have killed 100,000+ people and aliens in videogames over the years, yet I've never had to punch somebody in anger in real life.

TV / Movies are way more violent (even cartoons FFS), yet they never get accused of causing this sort of crap.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

#35 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

AmnesiaHaze

I had US in mind :)

#36 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

This happened in Russia. What do gun control laws in the US have to do with a shooting that took place in Moscow?

#37 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

then you're still wrong.

#38 Posted by GamerZem (526 posts) -

Why do people have to be so damn stupid?

After 9 years of gaming I can honestly say that violent video games have never driven me to physically inflict damage upon someone. If violent games did cause things like this shooting, there would be chaos in the streets. The man was clearly insane, and I see no reason why they blame video games for his actions.

#39 Posted by Kamekazi_69 (4704 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"] guns are not being sold at supermarkets in Russia :DBPoole96

This happened in Russia. What do gun control laws in the US have to do with a shooting that took place in Moscow?

Blaming guns because some socially disturbed lunatic got too trigger happy, is as idiotic as blaming violence on video games and religion. How do you justify what that psychopath in Norway did? Guns are a mans right in that coun...oh wait a minute. That's right no one had a gun, he had an hour to go Safari hunting. come on lets be real guys.
#40 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Well, video games are the devil after all...

#41 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

People that blame video games for tragedies are the same people that blame guns, you have to focus on the problem, the criminal that did it. There are millions of gamers just like there are millions of gun owners, very few of them commit acts of violence.