Rumored PS1 & PS2 compatibility on PS4.

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Just rumors so take with a grain of salt.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2014/03/25/ps4-rumoured-to-be-getting-ps1-ps2-game-compatibility-again-native-1080p-for-select-titles/

This actually matches a report by Digital Foundary a few months back...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

Basically it sounds like Sony is working on software emulation for PS1 and PS2 games on the PS4. This would be great for people like me who have a nice collection of PS2 games just sitting around.

Anyways it's still a rumor.

If I had to guess, this is to compliment the Gaikai service as it seems that at first Gaikai will only be supporting PS3 games. It makes far more sense to just have software emulation on the PS4. It's an x86 machine and there is already a fantastic Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 emulator on PCs so it could be done.

Of course like all emulation it will never be perfect. Most games will work but there will be always the few that don't. My beloved Ace Combat games can't be emulated.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Very nice if true, and hopefully it will work with the PS1 and PS2 games that I've picked up through PSN. Currently I use my PS3 to play them.

I still have a decent-sized stack of older games, Realistically, though, am I ever going to find the time to go back and play "Manhunt"? :)

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I hope this rumour becomes reality for msot games.

Like you said, it makes sense...

Also, I miss Timesplitters.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

When you have no exclusive games just bring back the old ones.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@kuu2 said:

LMAO!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Would be cool if I could go out and spend 10 dollars at GameStop and buy 48214134986193857234 used PS2 games. Talk about insta-library.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

That would be cool. Would be a better solution than Gaikai for those games.

Gaikai makes more sense for the long run though. A cloud-based service is far more accessible and probably cost effective in the long run. Instead of having to get emulators running on all of their new hardware, they just need one set of emulation software to run on the servers. Then they can enable a huge variety of devices to stream from their servers using client side applications much like OnLive or Netflix. This is more flexible and probably cheaper than constantly supporting a variety of new emulators on different hardware.

I also think it's the better service for people. I could go from my PS4 in my living room to a laptop in another building and pick up right where I left off. Once they figure out the latency issues and improve the image quality (all will happen in time), streaming services are going to be great.

That said, right now it makes more sense to just support an emulator on the PS4. Gaikai is its infancy and won't be mature enough to be a real valuable service to many people for a few years.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

I have so many PS1 and PS2 games, that i do hope this is true :D

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

waste of time considering ps1/ps2 games worth playing were remade for ps3

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee, I am not using PS Now.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Hope it's true I'd love to pick me up some Resident Evil Outbreak 1/2, FF12 (since SE is too fraking lazy to port it/make a HD version of it), Dot. Hack series, Suikoden 3 and Rogue Galaxy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Hope it's true I'd love to pick me up some Resident Evil Outbreak 1/2, FF12 (since SE is too fraking lazy to port it/make a HD version of it), Dot. Hack series, Suikoden 3 and Rogue Galaxy.

Damn Rogue Galaxy was great.

Did you ever play Dark Cloud? Those were nice too.

I guess my only hope here would be that if this is true, it's region free- all my PS2 discs are PAL.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Meh, not important to me. Still have a working ps2 and fat ps3 if I ever want to pay those games

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I guess my only hope here would be that if this is true, it's region free- all my PS2 discs are PAL.

I never played Dark Cloud 1, but I played a little bit of Dark Cloud 2 which was amazing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I never played Dark Cloud 1, but I played a little bit of Dark Cloud 2 which was amazing.

Yeah dude, Dark Cloud was great...

Oh, and Dragon Quest VIII.

Now I really want this to be true, the PS2 library is just begging to be revisited.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I thought the PS4 didn't support CD playback? Is it definitely disc based emulation or just for the catalogue to be put up on the PS4 store?

Either way a welcome addition, i hope some of my favourite titles take on the 1080p output, that PC emulation in the DF article blows my mind. There's actually some nice assets hidden under a layer of horrible pixels. It's like video game archaeology.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Title **** up? 'comparability' ? o.O

Great news. Dat backwards compat. Let's bring that childhood to my ps4!

@Desmonic said:

Definitely. Not really hopeful for the streaming thing. Bit too early, like a decade or so lol.

@musicalmac said:

Would be cool if I could go out and spend 10 dollars at GameStop and buy 48214134986193857234 used PS2 games. Talk about insta-library.

Especially if some are getting upgrades. I still have a tonne lying about some where.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Wow, PS4 already has more exclusives and now this? It's not even fair. #SDC

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Now I really want this to be true, the PS2 library is just begging to be revisited.

How could I forget DQ 8!? 0_0

Now that I think about it Gen 6 had soooo many amazing RPG's, then there's the thought of why did they not make more games PS2/PS1 BC for the PS3, I mean FFS they made Red BC!!.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wasdie  Moderator

@hoosier7: I'm sure the PS4's disk drive can read CDs no problem. Not being able to play back audio is probably a software and licensing thing.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 misterpmedia

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Not all the HD games were chipper. Will be nice to play Silent Hill 2 & 3 on the PS4, and not the HD Collection garbage Konami spewed up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

How could I forget DQ 8!? 0_0

Now that I think about it Gen 6 had soooo many amazing RPG's, then there's the thought of why did they not make more games PS2/PS1 BC for the PS3, I mean FFS they made Red BC!!.

I think they managed to get a healthy amount of PS1 games on the PSN Classics store, especially in NA; the issue with trying to get PS2 games working was, its architecture was so insanely complicated, it needed a much more powerful machine to be effectively emulated than PS3 (which, in its turn, was even more complicated than the PS2).

I was pretty sad about Shin Megami Tensei Nocture not making the cut on the PS2 section of PSN Classics, for instance- especially since Persona 3 FES was made available there.

Gen 6 really did have some insanely good RPGs. Even outside of the PS2, for instance, we have Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, The Thousand Year Door, and so on.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605:

I think it had to do with money and license rights. I remember seeing something about that during the whole "which system is better" when Gen 7 first started up and people were throwing out the whole "which system has the better BC" topics.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kuu2 said:

The tears those tears i can taste them....mmmm

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@Wasdie: I thought this was the case, lots of news outlets around launch time seemed to think the entire format itself wasn't supported.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

I think it had to do with money and license rights. I remember seeing something about that during the whole "which system is better" when Gen 7 first started up and people were throwing out the whole "which system has the better BC" topics.

That was more to do with individual games and publishers though (and is more applicable for PSOne games, a lot of which were published by entities that didn't exist today).

In any case, in the absence of true PS2 compatibility, Sony found a way to milk its fanbase with its 'Classics HD' line ._.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

My PS2 is still going strong 13 years after launch and a fully BC PS3, but it'd be nice to have another level of BC just in case. Hope it happens.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

That was more to do with individual games and publishers though (and is more applicable for PSOne games, a lot of which were published by entities that didn't exist today).

In any case, in the absence of true PS2 compatibility, Sony found a way to milk its fanbase with its 'Classics HD' line ._.

Sadly outside of the MGS HD and SotC HD, their HD classics selection sucked.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I hope this happens. I have a good stack of PS2 games I'd like to have the option of playing again. My fat PS3 60gb is broken and my PS2 is no longer with me either. Just having the option would be swell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

God of War was great, bruh

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

Never cared for the GoW games :P nor the Hitman games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

Never cared for the GoW games :P nor the Hitman games

The Hitman Collection was meh.

Why do you not like God of War :(

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605:

I'm more of a DMC guy

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 misterpmedia

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605:

Lol at least some gamers got the best edition ever of Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner. Thank you Hexadrive!

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dire_Weasel

@kuu2 said:

I came for the good news, but I stayed for the salt. Thanks, guys. :)

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

most likely not true. Makes no sense for sony financially unles they plan on selling the emulator. They have gaikai planned which will create revenue streams.. This idea would simply eliminate those streams.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

question: so i can use my old discs to play on ps4 similar to 360? or is this something else?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@shawn30: It's hilarious how exclusives meant shit to you guys now it's all you talk about. Xbox One hasn't released any major exclusives since launch, don't know what either of you are gloating about. PS4 just got Second Son as well. Sony always brings great exclusives so what are you guys going to gloat about when PS4 is undeniably better in terms of exclusives, like its ALWAYS BEEN?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

If it's discs then I'm in. I love my PS3 super slim but I'm missing BC really badly

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

You've gotta be joking.

Those are the two most stacked libraries of all time. They didn't even come remotely close to even so much as even thinking about scratching the surface of rereleasing all the "worthwhile" ps1/ps2 games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Oh com"pat"ibility, not com"par"ibility like your title says. You might want to fix that.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Only for those who have those games sitting around or access to ps1/ps2 games. For others who have none and want to relieve some games without the hassle of ebaying for them gakai is still an awesome option.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Meh, not important to me. Still have a working ps2 and fat ps3 if I ever want to pay those games

if you wanted to play any console you'd have any console but under your TV what you would have it's a mess of epic proportions. Meanwhile if you only have one console that does everything then you enjoy the benefits of staying online for when your friends invite you to play an online game with you, you wouldn't have a mess under your TV, you wouldn't have to keep your older consoles taking space in your house, you wouldn't have to worry about those older consoles breaking (and believe me, the PS2 reliability fucking sucks. I bet your PS2 doesn't even read discs anymore), you could play with wireless controller and headsets, etc.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@Gue1: My PS2 still works. I went through a few of them though, but that one is good. PS3 I still use plays PS2 games too. So I'm good. I understand for some it can be a mess, but it's not for me. Everything is connected thfough my receiver and I have room for it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes please.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Nothing like getting a next gen system just to play 15 year old games with horrible graphics. Given all the threads and post about graphics, I'd think cows would just say meh to this news but cows being cows, I guess it's sliced bread all over again.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#49  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

This would be awesome for me, since my PS2 doesn't work well anymore.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dire_Weasel

@kingtito said:

Nothing like getting a next gen system just to play 15 year old games with horrible graphics. Given all the threads and post about graphics, I'd think cows would just say meh to this news but cows being cows, I guess it's sliced bread all over again.

Another, delicious, salty post! Keep 'em coming guys!