RUMOR! Xbox 720 CPU Is "RIDICULOUSLY POWERFUL" 16 Cores!

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (453 posts) -
#2 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

You just had to make a topic to sho your insecurity, didn't you?

Also, April 2012...and this was debunked as false a long time ago. Better luck the gen after the next gen!

#3 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (453 posts) -

You just had to make a topic to sho your insecurity, didn't you?

Also, April 2012...and this was debunked as false a long time ago. Better luck the gen after the next gen!

DrTrafalgarLaw
debunked false? I didnt know you were a microsoft engineer.
#4 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

spider-meme-20.jpg.

#5 Posted by osirisx3 (1739 posts) -

old and no way it will have 16 cores

#6 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26098 posts) -

"WAAAHHH! Stop reading the rumors of low clock speeds that barely matter! Accept the rumors of it being powerful as fact!"

This thread sucks.

#7 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8558 posts) -

Please stop, this is no way to prove anything to another faction. You're just fueling more fire. Plus rumors are only rumors, so we'll wait and see this summer about the console or better yet, this CES.

#8 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
you never know.. probably this ''1.66GHZ'' thing translate to each of this cores running at 1.66GHz.
#9 Posted by DerekLoffin (8744 posts) -

Seeing as other pathetic cows want to cherry pick rumors about the cpu being pathetically weak...

Ignore them. Microsoft is going to have a powerhouse cpu.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Xbox-720-16-Core-CPU-xbox-next-microsoft,15285.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57413857-1/xbox-720-to-ship-with-16-core-cpu/

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/xbox-720-to-be-a-16-core-powerhouse-1075933

There. Now cows can stfu and let the jealousy commence.

fr3ddiemercury
A 16 core CPU would be a total waste of power. Game programming doesn't break down well into parallel bits. The grand majority of the time, most the cores would be sitting idle. If this rumor was true (which it isn't, it was 4 cores with 4 threads each which makes much more sense), it would be a spectacular waste of money on MS's part.
#10 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
[QUOTE="fr3ddiemercury"]

Seeing as other pathetic cows want to cherry pick rumors about the cpu being pathetically weak...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Xbox-720-16-Core-CPU-xbox-next-microsoft,15285.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57413857-1/xbox-720-to-ship-with-16-core-cpu/

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/xbox-720-to-be-a-16-core-powerhouse-1075933

DerekLoffin
A 16 core CPU would be a total waste of power. Game programming doesn't break down well into parallel bits. The grand majority of the time, most the cores would be sitting idle. If this rumor was true (which it isn't, it was 4 cores with 4 threads each which makes much more sense), it would be a spectacular waste of money on MS's part.

it could be also 8 cores with 2 threads each.
#12 Posted by walkingdream (4883 posts) -
you don't need a ridiculously powerful CPU for gaming. A pretty good one and an amazing video card is what you need.
#13 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
:lol: 16x chance of RROD are they trying to creat a teh cell?
#14 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -
you don't need a ridiculously powerful CPU for gaming. A pretty good one and an amazing video card is what you need. walkingdream
> 1.66 Ghz CPU > AMD Radeon 6600 Usually rumours are exaggeratedly positive...
#15 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurt
#16 Posted by walkingdream (4883 posts) -

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]you don't need a ridiculously powerful CPU for gaming. A pretty good one and an amazing video card is what you need. DrTrafalgarLaw

Why don't we wait for the offical specs hey? I know it's fun to speculate but you can't blame microsoft this early for specs that are based on an extreamly lose rumour.

I just bought a gaming PC with an i5 capable of running BF3 at full settings 60 FPS+ CPUs are getting less and less relevant to gaming. I didn't even think about getting an I7 since all those cores are simply going to waste.

#17 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurtkuraimen
like your butthurt on the other thread for getting owned and laughed at like always :cool: ?
#18 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (453 posts) -
It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurtkuraimen
Seems the 16 core news caused you some butthurt
#19 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurtfr3ddiemercury
Seems the 16 core news caused you some butthurt

he is a cow..butthurt by nature. :cool:
#20 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurtTessellation
like your butthurt on the other thread for getting owned and laughed at like always :cool: ?

It's that why all lems ran away when the actual debate began? Lol lems are too illiterate to hold an argument so they just run away and then pretend they won
#21 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurtkuraimen

It's that why all lems ran away when the actual debate began? Lol lems are too illiterate to hold an argument so they just run away and then pretend they won

your obsession with lemmings is quite nasty seek help brah :cool: you got owned at the very beginning.. i know it hurts :cool:
#22 Posted by clyde46 (43957 posts) -
I cant be doing with this BS. I'm going to go fap.
#23 Posted by Heirren (16204 posts) -
You got to have some weight to a thread. Don't just post a bunch of silly links.
#24 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] like your butthurt on the other thread for getting owned and laughed at like always :cool: ?

your obsession with lemmings is quite nasty seek help brah :cool: you got owned at the very beginning.. i know it hurts :cool:

You can't just pretend the rest of the thread doesn't exist. I showed that "ownage" was not much of an ownage. But rodents like you hide from the real world like that to live their delusions undisturbed. Too bad that in that way you will never learn or be up to the challenge
#25 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]It seems the 1.66 ghz speed news caused some extreme butthurtkuraimen

They ran away because they had already proven their point and got tired of feeding the troll. Lems are known for doing mature things like that. I don't think they were pretending.
#26 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

fr3ddiemercury

Semi-custom 16 core AMD Jaguar would have a die size of ~83.2 mm^2 i.e. 16 x (3.1 mm^2 for CPU core + 2.1 mm^2 for 512KB L2 cache).

1st gen (Xenon/Zephyr) Xbox 360's PPE X3 has die size of 176 mm^2

2nd gen (Falcon/Opus) Xbox 360's PPE X3 has die size of 136 mm^2

With 16 core AMD Jaguar (~64 watts**) + AMD Radeon HD 7950M (50 watts, 1280 stream processors @ 700Mhz) is possible and it's total die size is smaller than 1st gen Xbox 360.

**Based on 4 watts for dual core AMD Bobcat. AMD Z-60 APU's dual core Bobcat @1Ghz has ~2 watts. Each AMD Jaguar core has 128bit SIMD unit and "double pumped" for 256bit wide Intel AVX SIMD.

AMD can recycle 16 core AMD Jaguar SKU for high density/low TDP servers.

#27 Posted by Gue1 (9356 posts) -

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] like your butthurt on the other thread for getting owned and laughed at like always :cool: ?Tessellation

#28 Posted by AM-Gamer (3462 posts) -

I read somewhere that about %80 of tech rumors are complete BS , so i hold no value in any of them.

#29 Posted by Timstuff (26821 posts) -
A lot of games right now don't even use two cores right now. Next-gen games are planned to use 4 at most, so this rumor is BS.
#30 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackace"] They ran away because they had already proven their point and got tired of feeding the troll. Lems are known for doing mature things like that.

Lol like running away and bailing out of an argument? Lulz don't mistake cowardice with maturity that's a beginner mistake.
#31 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

you don't need a ridiculously powerful CPU for gaming. A pretty good one and an amazing video card is what you need. walkingdream

#32 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

A lot of games right now don't even use two cores right now. Next-gen games are planned to use 4 at most, so this rumor is BS.Timstuff

Not true on consoles i.e. 6 threads for Xbox 360 and 8 threads for PS3 (not including 7th SPU). Wide multi-threading is a must on the current consoles i.e. very poor single thread performance.

#33 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]A lot of games right now don't even use two cores right now. Next-gen games are planned to use 4 at most, so this rumor is BS.ronvalencia
Not true on consoles i.e. 6 threads for Xbox 360 and 8 threads for PS3 (not including 7th SPU).

Thread =/= Core

#34 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

Another powerhouse console from Microsoft confirmed.

#35 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]A lot of games right now don't even use two cores right now. Next-gen games are planned to use 4 at most, so this rumor is BS.Riadon2

Not true on consoles i.e. 6 threads for Xbox 360 and 8 threads for PS3 (not including 7th SPU).

Thread =/= Core

SMT are treated as logical CPU cores. In terms of programming model, 6 threads for dual SMT CPU X3 is similar to 6 threads for non-SMT CPU X6.

AMD Jaguar CPU core doesn't have SMT i.e. the pipelines are too short for SMT.

#36 Posted by silversix_ (13880 posts) -
only 16 cores? by the end of 2013 every gaming rig will have at least 24 cores, noob.
#37 Posted by clyde46 (43957 posts) -
only 16 cores? by the end of 2013 every gaming rig will have at least 24 cores, noob.silversix_
I doubt that somehow.
#38 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] It's that why all lems ran away when the actual debate began? Lol lems are too illiterate to hold an argument so they just run away and then pretend they won

You can't just pretend the rest of the thread doesn't exist. I showed that "ownage" was not much of an ownage. But rodents like you hide from the real world like that to live their delusions undisturbed. Too bad that in that way you will never learn or be up to the challenge

wow brah that obsession got into you badly :cool: its quite painful how you got owned and you can't let go...let the butthurt flow brah you will get better eventually :cool:
#39 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] It's that why all lems ran away when the actual debate began? Lol lems are too illiterate to hold an argument so they just run away and then pretend they wonGue1

so you came to defend your lover :cool: i know you're another of the clowns i made fun of constantly here.
#40 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

only 16 cores? by the end of 2013 every gaming rig will have at least 24 cores, noob.silversix_

On the PC, most of the math workloads are on the GPU.

Intel Ivybridge Quad Core has a total of 16 instruction issues per cycle i.e. effectively similar to 8 core AMD Piledriver's 16 instruction issues per cycle or 8 core AMD Jaguar.

Intel Ivybridge Quad Core has a proper 256bit wide AVX SIMD units i.e. effectively similar 16 core AMD Jaguar.

You can't compare Intel Ivybridge CPU core with AMD's CPU cores i.e. Intel's CPU core is extremely fat.

#41 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] your obsession with lemmings is quite nasty seek help brah :cool: you got owned at the very beginning.. i know it hurts :cool:

wow brah that obsession got into you badly :cool: its quite painful how you got owned and you can't let go...let the butthurt flow brah you will get better eventually :cool:

Your lack of ideas is getting evident when you do nothing but repeat the same crap rodent.
#42 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] You can't just pretend the rest of the thread doesn't exist. I showed that "ownage" was not much of an ownage. But rodents like you hide from the real world like that to live their delusions undisturbed. Too bad that in that way you will never learn or be up to the challenge

Your lack of ideas is getting evident when you do nothing but repeat the same crap rodent.

there is not need to use anything new,the traditional way works perfect over butthurts like you..see i have you replying all mad :cool:
#43 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] your obsession with lemmings is quite nasty seek help brah :cool: you got owned at the very beginning.. i know it hurts :cool:Tessellation

so you came to defend your lover :cool: i know you're another of the clowns i made fun of constantly here.

Lol he was agreeing with you rodent. Your butthurt is getting so big it's affecting your reading skills.
#44 Posted by Tessellation (8795 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

kuraimen

Lol he was agreeing with you rodent. Your butthurt is getting so big it's affecting your reading skills.

nah he ain't agreeing with me,he thinks i have an obsession like yours but he is wrong :cool: and if he's i apologize :cool:
#45 Posted by Krelian-co (10208 posts) -

no no its going to have over 9000 cores!

fanboys getting dumber by the minute.

#46 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]you don't need a ridiculously powerful CPU for gaming. A pretty good one and an amazing video card is what you need. DrTrafalgarLaw

Xbox 720 Yukon has "64 ALU" model GPU which fits AMD GCN's 64 ALU per CU model. Radeon HD 66x0 has 80 ALU per CU and it wouldn't fit "64 ALU" per CU model.

Both AMD Cayman and AMD GCN has 64 ALUs per CU model. We can crossout any 80 ALU per CU Radeon HDs.

PS; CU = Compute Unit. A Compute Unit is a self contained processor array block/cluster.

NVIDIA Kepler has 192 processors per SMX unit (NVIDIA's CU term).

#47 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (453 posts) -
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="walkingdream"]you don't need a ridiculously powerful CPU for gaming. A pretty good one and an amazing video card is what you need. ronvalencia

Xbox 720 Yukon has "64 ALU" model GPU which fits AMD GCN's 64 ALU per CU model. Radeon HD 66x0 has 80 ALU per CU and it wouldn't fit "64 ALU" per CU model.

I like how you know 720's hardware. Please gtfo, you are extremyly annoying with your amd spam
#48 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

oh these people on sw need 720 and ps4 to be powerful , because they are scared that if their not the wii u will just run all over them which i believe it will anyway because lets face the reality , , in times of hardship with little jobs , people aint gonna wanna spend 400-500 dollars on a console when they can get a cheaper one that has enough power and a cool new controller to boot and must have exclusives which caugh at the end of the day is what matters to me

#49 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] > 1.66 Ghz CPU > AMD Radeon 6600 Usually rumours are exaggeratedly positive...fr3ddiemercury

I like how you know 720's hardware. Please gtfo, you are extremyly annoying with your amd spam

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405922,00.asp

Notice "64 ALU" on the main GPU. It doesn't indicate the CU scaling.

Yukon.jpg

Radeon HD 66x0 doesn't support the latest DX11.1 Level 11.1 hardware. Radeon HD 66x0 uses the same GPU design as in Radeon HD 7570M (closest to Wii U's GPU with 64bit VRAM)

#50 Posted by fr3ddiemercury (453 posts) -

[QUOTE="fr3ddiemercury"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Xbox 720 Yukon has "64 ALU" model GPU which fits AMD GCN's 64 ALU per CU model. Radeon HD 66x0 has 80 ALU per CU and it wouldn't fit "64 ALU" per CU model.ronvalencia

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405922,00.asp

Notice "64 ALU" on the main GPU. It doesn't indicate the CU scaling.

Yukon.jpg

Radeon HD 66x0 doesn't support the latest DX11.1 Level 11.1 hardware. Radeon HD 66x0 uses the same GPU design as in Radeon HD 7570M (closest to Wii U's GPU with 64bit VRAM)

WTF!? His posts dont even relate to the posts he quotes. It is an obvious AMD bot. Mods ban it