RUMOR: Sony acquires Crash Bandicoot from Activision

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by spike6958 (4650 posts) -

First guys I'd like to say take all this info with a pinch of salt.

A source for a Nordic Entertainment site, Eskimopress, has claimed that Sony has acquired the rights for the Crash Bandicoot franchises back from Activision. The source claims that Naughty Dog themselves, and possibly with help from Santa Monica Studios, are working on a reboot of the franchise exclusive for Playstation 4.

Now why exactly should we give this rumor any credit? Because, this guy also leaked to Eskimopress that Uncharted 4 was in development and would be announced this year (they got the event wrong though, they said it would be announced at Spike's VGA's, but it's close enough as Spike did a large cover event for the PS4), and they clam that they where the first site to get the information.

[url=http://eskimopress.com/news/games/item/442-crash-bandicoot-definitely-coming-to-the-playstation-4]Crash Bandicoot Definitely Coming to the PlayStation 4[/url]

So what do you guys think? Personally I'm not ready to bite just yet, but it's certainly sounds plausible when you think that Activision's Crash games have all been failures. They where probably making the choice of either turning him into a Skylander alongside Spyro, or sell him off for some easy money, and I'm certainly glad that if anyone's gotten him it's Sony and Naughty Dog.

#2 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5537 posts) -

"Make it Happen SONY" was a quote quite frequently used in 07-08.

I hope it does hold water,i suppose getting Spyro would be much more difficult considering Skylanders is an active franchise,wereas Crash is in the abyss.

#3 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10888 posts) -

I really doubt it. Also calling an Uncharted announcement isnt saying much at least towards their credibility. I don't think that's too surprising. Could definitely be true though

#4 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

What they spend a whole $5, that about how much the IP worth now that activision ran it into the ground.

#5 Posted by always_explicit (2619 posts) -

I will buy a PS4 happily when a crash bandicoot game is released for it. Lemming status revoked if this rumour is proven true.

#6 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12758 posts) -

The pieces are starting to come together.

#7 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21231 posts) -

ND doesn't have it in them to make Crash games anymore, they make cenematic linear games now.

#8 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12758 posts) -

ND doesn't have it in them to make Crash games anymore, they make cenematic linear games now.

There's more than 1 team at ND.

You dissing last of us bro?

#9 Posted by Kiro0 (1173 posts) -

Seems plausible since Crash is pretty much forgotten thanks to Activision's work. Would love a new one, 3D platformers are far too rare in this day and age. I doubt Sony will get ahold of Spyro any time soon though as Skylanders is a pretty big success as far as I'm aware.

#10 Edited by PCgameruk (1417 posts) -

Depends who works on it

Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot was brilliant.

#11 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

We NEED more 3d platformers. Hardly any this gen.

#12 Edited by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Cows so desperate look at this rainbow cow beg

#13 Posted by n00bkid (4161 posts) -

Anything Naughty Dog touchess is a Gem. If this is true, I wouldn't worry at all.

#14 Posted by PsychoLemons (1902 posts) -

"Rumour" is the magic word.

#15 Posted by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -

I could have told you that Uncharted 4 was in development and would be announced this year.

So could everyone else here.

#16 Edited by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

Nooo stop doing this to me.

This hype train is set up for an inevitable crash, I don't want to get on >:(

#17 Edited by YukoAsho (2026 posts) -

I put no stock at all in this rumor.

While the franchise is dead as shit, Activision is definitely going to want to keep those characters around for when they run out of ideas for Skylander characters.

#18 Posted by Coolyfett (5079 posts) -

"Make it Happen SONY" was a quote quite frequently used in 07-08.

I hope it does hold water,i suppose getting Spyro would be much more difficult considering Skylanders is an active franchise,wereas Crash is in the abyss.

Coolyfett can dig it. Sony should have been owned that franchise.

#19 Edited by PraetorianMan (1310 posts) -

@TheGuardian03 said:

Dude, the Crash games were EXTREMELY linear. They were very good games regardless, but they were linear.

#20 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

*ugh*

#21 Posted by bigblunt537 (6803 posts) -

Who cares about Crash Bandicoot anymore? I haven't cared since Crash 3 on Ps1.

#22 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I have never played a Crash game in my life. Well, except for one of those Crash cart racer games. It was on a demo disc though.

#23 Edited by DarkLink77 (31683 posts) -

This seems unlikely. Even if it is true, I doubt that Naughty Dog would develop it. They seem to want to focus on more "realistic" games now.

#24 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (4893 posts) -

Who cares about Crash Bandicoot anymore? I haven't cared since Crash 3 on Ps1.

People stopped caring when ND stopped developing them

The same thing would happen if Nintendo stopped developing Mario. Just like when they let another developer make a zelda game and it sucked.

#25 Posted by blackace (19697 posts) -

Once Universal & Activision took it over, it went completely does hill. No one really cares about that franchise anymore. It's like Spyro the Dragon & Ratch & Clank. No one really care about these franchises. I'd rather Naughty Dog do another Jak & Daxter or create another new IP to go along with TLOU.

#26 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

Wouldn't surprise me if they got the rights on the cheap at this point. It also wouldn't surprise me if Sony left some smaller team (like Sanzaru) to make a potential new Crash game, because I doubt it would sell all that well, and would essentially be a huge waste of time and money for both teams at Naughty Dog.

#27 Posted by WiiMan21 (8147 posts) -

I'd love for this to happen. And for a reboot to follow.
But I'd rather them wait a bit into the generation ti'll everyone's use to the technology.