RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

gaf link

Copy pasting gaf post

Keep in mind that this is a rumor for now, because there is no direct confirmation from GG or Sony about the devkits.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=111

To which they say that Phil (the poster) is a developer

#2 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

BEGIN THE CIRCLE JERK !!

#3 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3812 posts) -
It was kind of vague but I know the 4 to 8gb upgrade was extremely recent so I wouldn't be surprised if all of it wasn't utilized
#4 Posted by super600 (31137 posts) -

No wonder I did not notice a gen leap with that game.

#5 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26430 posts) -

BEGIN THE CIRCLE JERK !!

Blake135

man the Circle Jerk started WAY before PS4 was announced.

#6 Posted by Tessellation (8845 posts) -

No wonder I did not notice a gen leap.

super600

and you won't notice it either with 8GB of ram.

#7 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

BEGIN THE CIRCLE JERK !!

LegatoSkyheart

man the Circle Jerk started WAY before PS4 was announced.

And it's still going strong :D. Need more KIllzone is better then Crysis threads, not enough of them haha.

#8 Posted by KarateeeChop (4666 posts) -

super600

#9 Posted by Silenthps (7284 posts) -
and this matters how?
#10 Posted by GeForce- (305 posts) -

Many games I've been playing on PC are using 1GB to 2.1GB of VRAM, so it's not surprising since it's a normal amount of memory for games.

Wait, I must be missing something. The RAM is 8GB which is reserved for the system. What about the GPU? How much space does it have?

#11 Posted by Neon_Noir (1466 posts) -
Why?
#12 Posted by catasaurus (241 posts) -

Many games I've been playing on PC are using 1GB to 2.1GB of VRAM, so it's not surprising since it's a normal amount of memory for games.

Wait, I must be missing something. The RAM is 8GB which is reserved for the system. What about the GPU? How much space does it have?

GeForce-

the ram is unified. also, the o.s. will in no way be 8 gig. i'd say 2 max, where the developers will have plenty of ram to work with

#13 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5278 posts) -

GeForce-
Its 8gb unified GDDR5
#14 Posted by GeForce- (305 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

catasaurus

the ram is unified. also, the o.s. will in no way be 8 gig. i'd say 2 max, where the developers will have plenty of ram to work with

I see no mention of GPU VRAM. It's still unknown, I think. That stuff is extremely vital for games, RAM is no where near it.

Sony will reveal more information about the PS4 at E3, including details about the GPU and VRAM. I think it will be 2GB.

#15 Posted by super600 (31137 posts) -

[QUOTE="catasaurus"]

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

GeForce-

I see no mention of GPU VRAM. It's still unknown, I think. That stuff is extremely vital for games, RAM is no where near it.

Sony will reveal more information about the PS4 at E3, including details about the GPU and VRAM. I think it will be 2GB.

I heard 4-5GB max for VRAM maybe more.

#16 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

1.5 GB sounds appropriate for the visuals we've seen so far.  The 7860 as I'm calling the PS4's graphics hardware for now likely, realistically, and probably doesn't need more than 2 or 2.5 GB I would think for the framebuffer itself at the very most.  4 GB would've been easily workable for the system altogether.  The other 4 GB is just running headroom, especially for openworld titles, MMOs, and all the background stuff Sony wants, to facilitate better on demand data streaming from the HDD, and mitigate load times.  I applaud that, but it's quite an expense.

I mean, realistically, what kind of VRAM usages are people seeing with BF3 or Crysis 3 maxed out with 4x MSAA at 1080p?  I'm gonna guess 1.5 GB?

#17 Posted by GeForce- (305 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

StrongDeadlift

Its 8gb unified GDDR5

So, it's 8GB for the rest of the system including the GPU?

That's weird.

#18 Posted by heeweesRus (5492 posts) -

super600

That's because you have sheep eyes.

#19 Posted by GeForce- (305 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

[QUOTE="catasaurus"]

super600

Lol no. :lol:

Nvidia GTX 690 has 4GB and Titan has 6GB, so consoles will be no where near those high-end GPUs. 2GB is likely.

#20 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5278 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="GeForce-"]

GeForce-

Its 8gb unified GDDR5

That's weird.

Yes. It is weird. But its also good news for all of the video compression/decomperssion it will be doing constantly in the backgrount.
#21 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

GeForce-

Its 8gb unified GDDR5

That's weird.

It's a unified setup, and the CPU and GPU are on one substrate a la AMD Fusion, connected to the GDDR5 via an assumed 256 bit memory bus. The supposed 176 GB/s of bandwidth is plenty for both the CPU and GPU to share.  Like AMD's coming Fusion APUs, the PS4's APU likely doesn't have a reserved memory system for just the graphics array, which helps to facilitate memory use flexibility and communication between the x86 cores and CUs for more efficient work handling.

In the Xbox 360, developers can use as much of the unified pool of 512 MB of GDDR3 they want sans what the OS uses for just VRAM.  It's one reason why development is easier with the 360 than the PS3, where the RAM is split into the 256 MB of GDDR3 VRAM and the 256 MB XDR SRAM.

#22 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

[QUOTE="catasaurus"]

super600

That is highly unlikely, Might happen at the end of this gen.
#23 Posted by tormentos (20279 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

GeForce-

Nvidia GTX 690 has 4GB and Titan has 6GB, so consoles will be no where near those high-end GPUs. 2GB is likely.

Yeah and 6 GB for OS... :-p
#24 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5278 posts) -

Originally Posted by Averagejoe View PostI was wondering in which devkit this games was particularly demo,did we have any confirmation that 4GB devkit actually hit developers.?

Because i think this game could have been running on the 2.2GB of ram devkit.

Less than that.Most kits until pretty recently had only 1.5 GB usable for graphics

The guy is supposedly a developer

#25 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

GeForce-

Its 8gb unified GDDR5

That's weird.

It's not wierd, it's acully cool :) devloper can choose if they need more ram for system or more ram for GPU and have optimal balance. KZ:SF demo was programed for 4GB RAM in mind so that 1.2GB could be expanded
#26 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -
[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

tormentos

Probably 1 - 1.5 GB for the OS and background tasks (streaming, recording, etc) 2.5 - 3.0 GB Max for the framebuffer by the end of the generation. 8 GB is a ****load for the PS4.
#27 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17611 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

tormentos

Don't you need RAM for the OS, the game, and the game graphics?

#28 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5278 posts) -
[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Its 8gb unified GDDR5ShadowriverUB

That's weird.

It's not wierd, it's acully cool :) devloper can choose if they need more ram for system or more ram for GPU and have optimal balance. KZ:SF demo was programed for 4GB RAM in mind so that 1.2GB could be expanded

Remember that this is a GPU centric system and the bulk of processing for games on the system is going to take place on the GPU. The CPU wont need anywhere near that much ram.
#29 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1977 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

No wonder I did not notice a gen leap.

Tessellation

and you won't notice it either with 8GB of ram.

Yeah,  its only going to be noticeable if the game is called Halo, Gears,  or Forza!!!!!!!! 

#30 Posted by super600 (31137 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

heeweesRus

That's because you have sheep eyes.

Nope. I just seen some many pics from high end PC games that I just don't see KSF as an impressive game graphically.

#31 Posted by super600 (31137 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

GeForce-

That s what I been hearing from other tech experts discussions about the ram in the PS4.

#32 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -
[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

tormentos

No, RAM will be used for, Background applications, For the game itself, game graphics and OS.
#33 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5278 posts) -

Why have hermits been acting so threatened by the PS4?  Like the PS4 is challenging the PC, and we are trying to take something away from you?  We know the PC is more powerful.  No sensable person has said otherwise.  Calm down.  

Its not even just here lol, the other day on the Bodybuilding.com forums in a PS4 thread you couldnt go 4 seconds without some PC nerd spouting some "master race" nonsense :roll:

Just celebrate the PS4.  Celebrate the fact that consoles wont hold your rigs back anymore.  Nobody is trying to steal anything from you, I promise :)

#34 Posted by finalstar2007 (25998 posts) -

I got no clue what VRAM is :lol:.. but hopefully something good.

#35 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"][QUOTE="GeForce-"]

That's weird.

StrongDeadlift

Remember that this is a GPU centric system and the bulk of processing for games on the system is going to take place on the GPU. The CPU wont need anywhere near that much ram.

That really depends on the game, large ram means you can use larger portion of data in same time, so you can have more objects with it's own instance or object that have higher density of data assigned to it. Also allows to have more assets lowded other then graphics... don't forget about sounds :) I will give you example, in LBP you got music sequencer, it has something called "blue thermometer" which is limit of samples you can use in music, one instrument can have more then 1 sample, because thye needed to be loaded to RAM in order to compile the music in single stereo sound wave, it's quite limited as it's 256MB. 8 GB you can have a lot more sameples, not only mor but also higher quality and longer samples, specially in drums samples which single instrument have even 10 of them. So if you have game that mainly operates on data processing then graphics, more RAM for CPU will be more useful. Other use of larger RAM isto have more data loaded in same time, so it does not need to be loaded from disc anymore, which means less loading screens
#36 Posted by heeweesRus (5492 posts) -

Why have hermits been acting so threatened by the PS4?  Like the PS4 is challenging the PC, and we are trying to take something away from you?  We know the PC is more powerful.  No sensable person has said otherwise.  Calm down.  

Its not even just here lol, the other day on the Bodybuilding.com forums in a PS4 thread you couldnt go 4 seconds without some PC nerd spouting some "master race" nonsense :roll:

Just celebrate the PS4.  Celebrate the fact that consoles wont hold your rigs back anymore.  Nobody is trying to steal anything from you, I promise :)

StrongDeadlift

Yeah it gets annoying with hermroids spamming Crysis 3 pics whenever a cow mentions Killzone.

#37 Posted by aroxx_ab (10808 posts) -

Only reason Killzone sell is because it is a launch game and not many other games to compete with :|

#38 Posted by lostrib (42996 posts) -

StrongDeadlift

to be honest, the master race is usually used as a joke. I think PC gamers have a problem when fanboys come in and say that the PS4 is better than the PC in graphics, especially when it hasnt even been released yet

#39 Posted by Wasdie (50667 posts) -

Doesn't suprise me. Games have hit kind of an upper limit of RAM requirements on the PC as well. 8 gigs is actaully overkill for gaming.

It's just that 512 mbs is just not enough at all. You'll see some decent improvements over last gen with the WiiU just becuase it has 1 gig of RAM. With 8 the sky is really the limit.

#40 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

Only reason Killzone sell is because it is a launch game and not many other games to compete with :|

aroxx_ab
this makes no sense. How can it sell if it hasnt released yet? And if you are referring to the franchise in general, no killzone has been a launch title.
#41 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17611 posts) -

finalstar2007

In the PC world, it's the on-board memory used by graphics cards. It's faster than regular system RAM used in PCs. The PS4 will use an 8gb chunk of VRAM for graphics and everything else. Sounds to be pretty nifty tech to me. 

Edit:

Up to the current gen of consoles, I haven't really seen any tech I wanted from consoles to PC. This is probably the first I'd like to see make it from console to PC. 

#42 Posted by aroxx_ab (10808 posts) -

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

campzor

this makes no sense. How can it sell if it hasnt released yet? And if you are referring to the franchise in general, no killzone has been a launch title.

All previous Killzones have been pretty much mediocre as hell, only reason the new Killzone will sell is because it is a launch game, make sense?

#43 Posted by finalstar2007 (25998 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

jun_aka_pekto

In the PC world, it's the on-board memory used by graphics cards. It's faster than regular system RAM used in PCs. The PS4 will use an 8gb chunk of VRAM for graphics and everything else. Sounds to be pretty nifty tech to me. 

omg i dont know what you just said but it sounds like its something positive :P.. anything positive is a good thing! just bring me some games thats what matters!

#44 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

aroxx_ab

All previous Killzones have been pretty much mediocre as hell, only reason the new Killzone will sell is because it is a launch game, make sense?

kz2 was no mediocre at all.. so no, doesnt make any sense.
#45 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10556 posts) -

super600
well................ KZ3 came out in 2011, GG didnt have alot of time and you have to consider that they were make a game for a system that didnt have its specs finalized
#46 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5808 posts) -

That's crazy. It's already the best looking game out

#47 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

It probably wont be surprising to see a lot of games not opt for using the full power of the PS4 (not so close to launch at least).

Actually, I hope SCEWWS opt for making more of the optional features on VITA/Mobile their second priority and evolve from there. That way we will all reap the benefits in 2 to three years when games look their best on out big screens and we see experiences on our mobile/VITA that make it an indespensible app for us video game lovers to have.

#48 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
8GB seems like overkill, but considering RAM was the primary limiter for the PS3 (especially compared to 360) I can see why they would focus so much on it.
#49 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -
8GB seems like overkill, but considering RAM was the primary limiter for the PS3 (especially compared to 360) I can see why they would focus so much on it.hexashadow13
Developer request as well. When running 1080p, slap on the MSAA and you'll start to really burn through VRAM, though if it hadn't been for the background stuff, I think it would've been ok with 4 GB or 6 GB on a 192 bit bus with 132 GB/s of bandwidth.
#50 Posted by Mario1331 (8844 posts) -

i doubt that. but let the circle jerk begin!