Rumor: Sega announcing new console / Sega Spectrum

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -

A user on NeoGAF has posted a picture of a hence unknown logo for something called "Sega Spectrum", see

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543477

Since the Japanese slogan roughly translates to "a new world of entertainment", rumors came up that Sega might actually release a new console. The date of the photo suggests that Sega will reveil at E3 what "Sega Spectrum" will be. Sega themselves have not given any details, as far as I know.

Here's the picture from NeoGAF:

Logo for Sega Spectrum

#2 Posted by gameofthering (10322 posts) -

Arcade system?

#3 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Why would they release a new console if they just made a Partnership with Nintendo and they get most of their money from PC titles.

#4 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -
Doubt that. But I do miss Sega in the console market.:(
#5 Posted by LASer354 (323 posts) -

Not level 10.

#6 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Arcade system?

gameofthering

I could see that; Nintendo, SEGA, and Namco made the Tri-Force Arcade Platform during the 6th Generation and it used GCN hardware.

#7 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
lololololololol Nope. Not going to happen. I do wonder what else it could mean though.
#8 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
no way its a handheld/home console...they just made a deal/partnership with nintendo... if they were to make a new console, they would have kept all these recent releases for their launch.
#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -
[QUOTE="campzor"]no way its a handheld/home console...they just made a deal/partnership with nintendo... if they were to make a new console, they would have kept all these recent releases for their launch.

Yeah...Sega is done in consoles. :(
#10 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Doubt that. But I do miss Sega in the console market.:(LJS9502_basic

Me too, i had fond memories of the megadrive a lot. It would be a breath of fresh air if they returned to console making, shake things up a little

#11 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

Perhaps for Japan market. They don't have financial capabilities to compete with Sony and MS.

#12 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

well atleast, it will make the wii u look good, which the wii u did to the vita

#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Doubt that. But I do miss Sega in the console market.:(megaspiderweb09

Me too, i had fond memories of the megadrive a lot. It would be a breath of fresh air if they returned to console making, shake things up a little

It would. They were very innovative. Was a sad day when they left the field. And costly....I had to buy many consoles to get a game here and there.:P
#14 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -

Even if they hadn't announced the deal with Nintendo a few weeks ago I would not see a realistic chance that this will be a home console, but I'll keep it as a nice thought for the next two weeks.

The Spectrum could be many things. Maybe some kind of online game service/ channel, some kind of arcade hardware or mabye a "retro console", which plays old Sega games for various systems. Especially the latter one would be cool.

#15 Posted by Lucianu (9452 posts) -

It would. They were very innovative. Was a sad day when they left the field. And costly....I had to buy many consoles to get a game here and there.:PLJS9502_basic

I'm a bit jelous of the people that actually got to the experience the Dreamcast back in '99 up until 2001. Must have been extraordinary. I've never seen a company come even remotely close to SEGA's obsession with creative design and innovation.

#16 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25625 posts) -

I highly doubt Sega is announcing a new console considering they're releasing a lot of their games on Nintendo Consoles.

Yakuza 1&2 and Sonic Lost World come to mind.

It's probably something to do with Computer for Arcades in Japan.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (45245 posts) -
That would mix things up rather nicely.
#18 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -
Must be level 10 to create a thread, sorry!