Rumor: Entire party system on X1 being replaced

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (54329 posts) -

Microsoft over the coming months will be replacing the entire party/notification/XBL-related UI parts wholesale. They won’t be fixing them like they previously had been telling developers. This is definitely a smart move and the right decision for the console longterm but it will have some fairly significant short-term implications. They likely won’t be finished until well into spring or possibly early summer (update: one of the sources of this story just told me “It may take up to a year” HOLY CRAP). With Titanfall and Destiny around the corner – two games that are built around online play and will require solid party infrastructure for working as a team… the news that the party system won’t be replaced by then is a kick to the gut.

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.”

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

SOURCE

How Microsoft screwed up their console UI and OS so badly- things they have always been great at, things that they set a standard for with 360!- is beyond me. They regressed from 360 to PS3 level, while Sony took all that was good about 360 and expanded on that with PS4.

Pitiful, Microsoft.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (38140 posts) -

I sure hope they will.

From what I've heard it's pretty damn stupid.

#3 Posted by FinalFighters (1312 posts) -

Everything about the system is rushed. They just wanted to release the same time Sony did.

#4 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

#5 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8675 posts) -

Too many cooks in the kitchen over at Microsoft. It blows my mind how they totally screwed up something they were so good at with Party Chat.

#6 Posted by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

The original source for this is /v/....

#7 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

Not a rumor. It's being replaced because it's a broken mess. Some people here would pretend all is fine and dandy with the One's UI/software, but it's just not true. This means that huge games like Destiny and TitanFall 1 will miss out on quality friends list functionality and integration.

I've been saying it for the last week and been called all kinds of names as if I'm not an 8 year LIVE member. Some things are just broken guys...and they need to be fixed. Better to call it out and demand fixes and improvements than pretending they aren't issues and being stuck with garbage. That might bruise some lemming egos, but when you kids get a little older you'll realize that you don't work for these companies and you won't get paid for carrying their flags.

#8 Posted by CleanPlayer (9763 posts) -

As a 9 year Live member, this is disheartening news to say the least. I still just can't get over how they were unable to implement 360 party chat with Xbox One users and its very strange how Microsoft keeps shooting itself in the foot over and over again. Hope they fix this ASAP

#9 Edited by lglz1337 (3003 posts) -

xbone wait cloud incoming

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (54329 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

The original source for this is /v/....

And Twitter. And GAF.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (42557 posts) -

I haven't used it yet, but it seems way more complicated than it has to be and not user friendly.

#12 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1830 posts) -

What as disaster. I do not understand how MS can screw up software so badl... oh wait nvm.

#13 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

Too many cooks in the kitchen over at Microsoft. It blows my mind how they totally screwed up something they were so good at with Party Chat.

Shouldn't be that surprising. Look at windows Vista. They always do this type of thing.

#14 Posted by JohnF111 (14008 posts) -

Holy crap I remember someone made a thread foretelling us of this months before release!

#15 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

With the nightmare that Windows 8 has been for me and continues to be even with. 8.1, I can't say I'm really suprised.

#16 Posted by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

Not a rumor. It's being replaced because it's a broken mess. Some people here would pretend all is fine and dandy with the One's UI/software, but it's just not true. This means that huge games like Destiny and TitanFall 1 will miss out on quality friends list functionality and integration.

I've been saying it for the last week and been called all kinds of names as if I'm not an 8 year LIVE member. Some things are just broken guys...and they need to be fixed. Better to call it out and demand fixes and improvements than pretending they aren't issues and being stuck with garbage. That might bruise some lemming egos, but when you kids get a little older you'll realize that you don't work for these companies and you won't get paid for carrying their flags.

I doubt anyone would say the One doesn't have any issues at all, but for some to pretend that whats there today isn't playable is laughable. Not saying you said that, just commenting as I have had the system since launch and have been using it both online and off. I've played CoD and Ryse and KI online and while yes theres work to be done, definitely, in no way is it in any way keeping me from enjoying the game or playing with pals. Not saying this is a molehill, but its not a mountain either.

#17 Posted by Animal-Mother (26186 posts) -

Welcome to the internet. Where your opinion doesn't matter even if you have evidence and you get called a tool or whatever at every turn

#18 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15867 posts) -

Nice! Thanks to all of you who bought a $500 XBONE. By the time they sell a Kinect-less SKU with a substantial price drop, they'll have the UI out of beta.

#19 Edited by Netherscourge (16327 posts) -

So, no working party chat for when Titanfall and Destiny both launch on the XB1 next year? How exactly do XB1 owners plan on communicating in those two online multiplayer games on the XB1 version?

More reason to just get the PC version - then you can use Vent, Teamspeak, whatever VOIP you want.

#20 Posted by Krelian-co (9962 posts) -

terrible install times, inferior hardware and performance and now this, what more proof do people need to acknowledge what a rushed product xbone is.

#21 Posted by Netherscourge (16327 posts) -

terrible install times, inferior hardware and performance and now this, what more proof do people need to acknowledge what a rushed product xbone is.

Inferior hardware isn't a result of being rushed - it's a result of a stupid Microsoft R&D department.

#22 Edited by Desmonic (12638 posts) -

It can't really be THAT bad....can it? O.o?...

#23 Edited by donalbane (16135 posts) -

It similarly blows my mind that the multimedia powerhouse that was the PlayStation 3 has been supplanted by a rinky-dink Roku-esque PS4. Both consoles disappointed with their absence of important features no matter how you slice it.

#24 Posted by Desmonic (12638 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity said:

It similarly blows my mind that the multimedia powerhouse that was the PlayStation 3 has been supplanted by a rinky-dink Roku-esque PS4. Both consoles disappointed with their absence of important features no matter how you slice it.

Both the PS3 & 360 were pretty crappy as multimedia devices when they launched though. That's the kind of stuff you can easily add with updates, especially if you build the OS with that in mind (which seems to be the case for both of them).

#25 Posted by Shewgenja (7912 posts) -

Looks like if you bought an XBone, you are still awaiting greatness.

#26 Posted by Couth_ (9915 posts) -

How Microsoft screwed up their console UI and OS so badly- things they have always been great at, things that they set a standard for with 360!- is beyond me. They regressed from 360 to PS3 level, while Sony took all that was good about 360 and expanded on that with PS4.

Pitiful, Microsoft.

They planned the xb0ne for 2014 and rushed it to meet the PS4.. It's not screwed up. It's just unfinished.

#27 Posted by charizard1605 (54329 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

The actual party chat, from what I gather, is fine. It's just a pain in the ass because of how they structured and designed the OS.

#28 Posted by silversix_ (13539 posts) -

Instead of changing the party why not just change the whole Bone?

#29 Edited by Desmonic (12638 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

The actual party chat, from what I gather, is fine. It's just a pain in the ass because of how they structured and designed the OS.

Oh. I see. That will take some time (to design a new structure or revert to 360's structure) to fix, so I guess those rumours have some merit to them. It's not something that you can quickly fix correctly when it's structural (versus just some errors not getting checked out at launch).

#30 Posted by Krelian-co (9962 posts) -

dat next gen 720p and os

#31 Posted by Shewgenja (7912 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

dat next gen 720p and os

So much feature

Such integration

Wow.

#32 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Amazing they could let this slip through. Why didn't anyone flag this? Bizarre.