Rumor: Diddy Kong Racing 2?

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27499 posts) -

Source: My Nintendo News

Excerpt:

• Retro Studios and Monster Games have been collaborating on Diddy Kong Racing 2.
  • This is why Monster Games ported Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and worked with Retro Studios on DKC: Tropical Freeze.
  • Diddy Kong Racing 2 began as a prototype in 2006. The animal transformation vehicles idea in Excitebots (2009) came from Diddy Kong Racing 2 prototype. The animal vehicles came from the idea of riding animal buddies in the Donkey Kong Country series.
  • The Wii Diddy Kong Racing was cancelled due to Donkey Kong Barrel Blasts low sales. It was also cancelled because Diddy Kong Racing DS didn’t sell as well as the original N64 game.
  • Nintendo asked Monster Games to work on Pilotwings because they were impressed with the flight/airplane mechanics in Monster’s DKC Racing prototype. Diddy Kong Racing was well known for letting players ride karts, hovercrafts, and planes.
  • Diddy Kong Racing 2 started up development for again (this time for Wii U) due to the amazing sales of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart Wii.
  • Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, pitched the idea of Dillon (from Dillon’s Rolling Western) to be one of the racers in the game. Tanabe was the producer of Dillon’s Rolling Western, and he liked the idea of having a roster of lesser known Nintendo characters.
  • Tanabe thought that the concept of lesser known Nintendo characters “fighting to be Nintendo’s big star” could prove to be interesting for Diddy Kong Racing. Characters such as Mallo (Pushmo) and Rusty (Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball) were also added as racers to fill out the roster.
  • Nintendo purposely held off from showing Diddy Kong Racing 2 at E3 this year to avoid sabotaging the excitement around Mario Kart 8. It sounds like Diddy Kong Racing 2 will be revealed sometime in 2015, and released that same year.
  • Diddy Kong was taken out of Mario Kart 7 and 8 because of Diddy Kong Racing 2. Diddy Kong had appeared in Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii.

Okay, there's something that screams BS about this. How would Diddy Kong Racing kill the excitement of Mario Kart 8, considering Diddy Kong Racing didn't even sell as well as Mario Kart 64 (or any Mario Kart game for that matter)?

Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Blabadon (27725 posts) -

I enjoyed that Diddy Kong Racing existed on the DS. Showed how much Nintendo was willing to support their system with out-of-the-way first party games, even if it was a weaker system.

Never played it though.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (41988 posts) -

I remember Diddy Kong Racing.

It was great.

#4 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (18153 posts) -

Crazy enough to be true?

#5 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

I hope this is true. DKR was awesome

#6 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1969 posts) -

This was one of my favorite game then. I play so many hour doing every task. Good music also. I do not understand why so many gamer hate this game. I prefer DKR to mario kart 64. Maybe they will add battle mode missing from mario kart 8.

I will probably buy wii u for this game.

#7 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9701 posts) -

I didn't know DKR even had an installment on the DS.

I would not be surprised if this was real. I never played DKR before.

#8 Posted by drummerdave9099 (795 posts) -

I'd miss the Rare characters Banjo and Conker, but I would still buy this if it did exist.

I'm sure Retro must be working on something though, they didn't announce anything at E3

#9 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9701 posts) -

@drummerdave9099 said:

I'd miss the Rare characters Banjo and Conker, but I would still buy this if it did exist.

I'm sure Retro must be working on something though, they didn't announce anything at E3

It was confirmed sometime in April, I believe, that Retro started working on a new project sometime near the end of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze's development.

#10 Edited by mems_1224 (47860 posts) -

N64 Diddy Kong Racing>>>>>>>any Mario Kart

Come at me bros

#11 Posted by outworld222 (2468 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

N64 Diddy Kong Racing>>>>>>>any Mario Kart

Come at me bros

True.

This indeed needs to happen.

#12 Edited by MonsieurX (31216 posts) -

Add some death stares and it's GOTG

#13 Posted by nini200 (10106 posts) -

I sure as heck hope so. DKR 64 had the best Battle Mode on any 64 kart racing game. Even beating Mario Kart 64's legendary Battle Mode.

DKR 2 would be very welcomed in my book.

#14 Posted by Wild_man_22 (677 posts) -

I could imagine some people being pretty upset by this. I believe it would go something like:

''Nintendo has Retro WORKING ON A KART RACER?!? I get to play another game made by Retro studios?!? That's dumb they are way to talented for that crap!! They should be making their 4th Metroid Prime game!!!''

I'd be excited. I loved Diddy Kong Racing, and Retro did help with some of Mario Kart 7's track design. Monster Games made ExciteTruck and Excitebots for Wii. So they do both have some experience in making kart racers. But I still doubt it.

#15 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5812 posts) -

haha wtf ninty could just add him as one of the characters in mk8 but they know their audience well. $60 for kong racing haha

#16 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27499 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

haha wtf ninty could just add him as one of the characters in mk8 but they know their audience well. $60 for kong racing haha

Have you ever even heard of Diddy Kong Racing?

@Wild_man_22 said:

I could imagine some people being pretty upset by this. I believe it would go something like:

''Nintendo has Retro WORKING ON A KART RACER?!? I get to play another game made by Retro studios?!? That's dumb they are way to talented for that crap!! They should be making their 4th Metroid Prime game!!!''

I'd be excited. I loved Diddy Kong Racing, and Retro did help with some of Mario Kart 7's track design. Monster Games made ExciteTruck and Excitebots for Wii. So they do both have some experience in making kart racers. But I still doubt it.

God those comments are so ironic. lol

#17 Posted by blackace (21247 posts) -

I'd be happy with a new Diddy Kong Racing game.

#18 Posted by _Matt_ (9069 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing >>> Mario Kart.

Just saying.

*Hides*

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (89887 posts) -

Would much rather see Retro on a new IP. They haven't been able to make one yet.

#20 Posted by SolidTy (45199 posts) -

Sad that Retro would be making this instead of something far more exciting. I'm not into racing so I skipped Mario Kart and I would skip this too. I like Retro though, so I'll wait for their game after this if this comes to fruition.

#21 Edited by thedude- (2312 posts) -

#22 Edited by AcidTango (668 posts) -

It would be cool if it is actually being made but still that would mean no Conker and Banjo because of Rare and Microsoft owning these characters.

#23 Posted by sailor232 (4987 posts) -

I remember Diddy Kong Racing had a great story mode. I loved the world it was set in as well.

#24 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10929 posts) -

I'd buy it in a heartbeat!