RPS interview of Peter Molynuex(good stuff)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Holy crap that first question,

RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?

Peter Molyneux: That’s a very…

RPS: I know it’s a harsh question, but it seems an important question to ask because there do seem to be lots and lots of lies piling up.

Peter Molyneux: I’m not aware of a single lie, actually. I’m aware of me saying things and because of circumstances often outside of our control those things don’t come to pass, but I don’t think that’s called lying, is it? I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly lied, at all. And if you want to call me on one I’ll talk about it for sure.

RPS: During the Kickstarter for Godus you stated, regarding that you don’t want to use a publisher stating, “It’ll just be you and our unbridled dedication (no publishers).” And five months later you signed with a publisher.

Peter Molyneux: Absolutely. And at that time I wish we had raised enough money to not need a publisher.

RPS: But you got more than you asked–.......

Full interview. Its a long read.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

aaaaaaand Molyneux is never doing an interview with them again.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yo, male that title more enticing.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

RockPaperShotgun being pretty harsh on those questions. I don't mind though. They're pretty much asking what any other person would.

I'm sorry, Molyneux, but you should really talk less. I want to see you still do cool stuff. Whatever ideas you have, but don't bullshit as much as you usually do.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Skimmed through the interview, it really is bizarre. I dunno, I feel kind of bad for PM tbh.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Quite frankly Peter Molyneux hasn't been notable since his days with Populous, Dungeon Keeper and Black & White.. He is a fucking sell out.. The market really doesn't have any god games like those anymore, but decided to go mobile specifically to rake in large amounts of cash.. Instead of making a pc spiritual sequel to one of those games that fans of the series have been waiting for over a decade..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@Blabadon said:

Yo, male that title more enticing.

Suggest me some.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Okay, is it me or is Peter Molyneux sounded like he's starting a cult or something? And also, why do people still give this Peter guy the time of the day? He's trying too hard to be like Valve, but without the charm.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

everyone knows peter is full of shit, well anyone who has played fable or any of his games

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I can't believe this is the same guy who made some of my all time favourite games like Dungeon Keeper and Fable 1.

It took quite a long while, since I had too much excessive respect built up for him from the early days, but by now he has probably lost all my respect.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Peter Molynuex looks like Mr Burns from the Simpsons. 'Excellant........'

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

And this is why crowd funded projects need absolute transparency. Everything, from detailed development schedules, through to proofs of progress, right down to detailed breakdowns of expenditures (including wages), should continually be accounted for and that information presented to investors. As Kickstarter/Valve, etc. seem to be imposing no legal liability on these schemes, then developers should prove their faith in their projects by giving pledgers extensive voting rights.

The interview is rough, but totally warranted. I mean, it's really sad that Peter's home building repairs went over budget by 50% and all, but how many times can he use being creative, or having his mind on higher things, as an excuse? if he can't ground his ideas in solid management practices, then that's not a role he should be taking on projects.

/rant

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Sorry, but I think that was needlessly confrontational. Classless. I am all for asking hard questions, but this was more like they were trying to attack his very person or something.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Sorry, but I think that was needlessly confrontational. Classless. I am all for asking hard questions, but this was more like they were trying to attack his very person or something.

I'm with you, except ...it be one thing if this was like the IGN interview of ready at dawn way back when, when the ywere being interviewed about a game they were doing, and the interviewer tried to grill them.

Molyneux got interviewed after his Godus announcement, so he knew what he was getting into, and the interviewer asked him questions and probably was transparent that we're going to talk about Godus, and it's going to be about how you've made mistakes with it. As douchy as his wording might be, that's fair game. Molyneux probably still deserved better than what he got, but I'm not feeling sympathy for him here. He's fucking delusional to his own short coming.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

this interview have been on fire on twitter.

But like someone said:

I don't know what is worse, the false promises of Molyneux or gaming journalists pretending to have been deceived. Both lie, so both deserve each other.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Gamerno6666: i did an article on this and it's good to see RockPaperShotgun doing their freaking job after 6 months. Finally someone is asking devs hard questions

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@Gue1: Yep. Deserve each other.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Can't help but wish that Nintendo higher-ups would get confronted like this, even as harsh as it was.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Meh. Too late to care about anything related to him or his games.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Jesus I actually feel bad for the guy. Sure he promises the world and falls short but atleast you can tell he loves what he does

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Way too harsh imo.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

That was pretty inappropriate and unprofessional on RPS's part. I can understand asking blunt, to-the-point questions but that reeked of emotional/personal involvement with a not-well hidden agenda. As though, rather than trying to get to the bottom of the situation with Godus and his reputation as a pathological liar and scam artist, he was trying to prove and convince Molyneux they were true.

As for Godus, I paid $10 for Steam Early Access and played it for 24 hours, a better cost-to-playtime ratio than most games I buy. As far as I see it, I got my money's worth and anything they do from here on is a bonus.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

HAHAHHAAH oh man....amazing

He deserves it. Ask yourself if you honestly think he doesn't know hes full of shit. Give me a break people. The dude raises tons of money on kickstarter lying through his teeth about his intentions and you're trying to defend him?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

You know its a harsh interview but i honestly dont feel one bit of sympathy for the guy. Its one think your game been funded by a developer and is been delayed and dont manage to do half the thinks you promise but is a whole different think taking money of people to make a game and not only 2 years later after the date you said the game will be out is not out ( with no release date what so ever ) but it seems it will under deliver alot ( sure i dont expect them to do all the thinks they promise but the way thinks look it seems it wont even do half of that promised ). Let alone the pc version wont have multiplayer because he says they need a publisher for that !!!!

Of course part of the blame are people who supported Molyneux on kickstarter

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Wow. That wasn't an interview, that was a major ass grilling.

I now nominate RPS to interview Sony devs (Evolution Studios) on the Driveclub launch date promise and free version that magically disappeared.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I'm happy for Eurogamer and RPS. They're two of a really few gaming publications who are doing actual journalistic work.

Also, this stuff with Molyneux is reminding me on the following:

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

That was a pretty amazing interview

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

That looks more like a political interview rather than a gaming interview... RPS sound like they're trying too hard to be the next David Frost.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Wow. That wasn't an interview, that was a major ass grilling.

I now nominate RPS to interview Sony devs (Evolution Studios) on the Driveclub launch date promise and free version that magically disappeared.

They do only PC stuff. So no sony or MS exclusive games studios interview.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#30 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

This was unproffesional to some degree. RPS is a shit site. With people like Grayson still there is proof to that. The interview however shows that you can actually do some hard questions. Rare to see nowadays

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Not sure who's more classless.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#32  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Having read more of the interview, it sounds more like a troll interview, more than anything. That is the most unprofessional, worst interview I've seen from a video game journalist. I'm not a big fan of Molyneux, but John Walker is a douchebag.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I'd feel sorry if it were anybody else, but Peter Molyneux has made a career of overhyping the shit out of his games and then pulling the "Aw shucks, maybe next time" when he fails to deliver. It's one thing to do that crap on the publishers dime, but now that he's turned to crowd funding (which already has a negative reputation of "e-begging") nobody should be willing to pull their punches with him.